Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Gwen and I - Chapter 1

Okay, so, the other day I was thinking (scary, huh?). I have no way to share my short stories other than creating a story thing for each. why not just have one whole 'story' for short stories? so, here we are. Just Because.

Chapter 4 - Gwen and I - Chapter 1

Chapter 4 - Gwen and I - Chapter 1
Chapter One: Family

My father was, I am sure, intended by nature to be a cheerful, kindly man. He always came to the University on time; he always, always helped with the rent.
But&this was waaaaaaay before he and mom got a divorce. I dont know what happened, really; I never got the whole story. I remember Mom started yelling about something to do with another woman. I think it was the woman I saw hanging off Dad in the mall. Shes cute, with her long blonde hair, but a bit of ditz. Dad said her name was Gwen, but I doubt that. I had reasons to doubt her.
Anyways, I think she was the reason Mom walked out on Dad. Im still not too sure though. After the divorce, Mom moved away. She didnt get custody of me, Dan, Carl; we stayed with Dad. She did, however, get Cathy and Mary, though I think Mary reminds her of Gwen. I get letters from Cathy saying Mom gets drunk a lot and takes it out on Mary. When I show the letters to Dad, he doesnt seem to care.
Then Dad told me Dan, Carl, and I were all born from Gwen; my sisters were moms kids. I didnt really believe that, but what I found was much worse. I delved deeper into our backgrounds and saw, for the first time, my dad had actually lied to me.
Carl was the son of an Irish woman Dad had met during the war, Dan was the son of a British woman, and I was Gwens son, her only son. Mary was the daughter of someone in the Philippines and Cathy was the only one of us to be Moms real daughter. She was the only one who was never mistreated by our so-called Mom.
And none of us were treated well anyways.
Except by Gwen. But something about my biological mother made my skin crawl. I think it was the fangs I saw in her smile, or her sickly pale skin. Perhaps it was the way her hair always shined at night, or the way her eyes glowed with a beastly hunger.
Dad never seemed to notice. Until she picked me up from the University for the first time, I didnt mind. But when the black hover car pulled up to the sidewalk and the window rolled down, I felt the blood rush from my cheeks to flee to my toes. She smiled kindly, showing her fangs. I couldnt help but shiver.
Heeeloo, Alexander! She called from where she sat. Come along, dear, the familys waiting!
I sighed, my shoulders slumping. A clap on the back sent me flying down the University stairs and I caught sight of Nick, my roommate. I glared at him and all he did was laugh.
Alexander, Alexander! a few of my friends mocked. Hurry up, darling! Get in the car, sweetie! I glanced around and found a sizable grey stone in the garden. Slowly, I removed the stone from its resting place and hurled it at the group of mockers. The dodged and laughed again as I climbed into the front seat.
Gwen, please dont do that, I sighed, settling into the seat.
Oh, dear, call me mom! she flashed a toothy grin, completely ignoring my request. Well, lets get going, shall we?
The car lurched forward, hovering slowly into the air. Gwen pressed down gently on the gas pedal and the car pushed forward through empty air. I didnt pay attention to where we were going; its not that I trusted Gwen, I was just too tired. I think I even fell asleep.
When I felt a cold hand touch mine, I jolted awake. My red eyes met hungry gold ones. The pale skin around the craving eyes told me who it was, but I cringed away from Gwen all the same.
Sorry, Alexander, she apologized, I didnt mean to scare you.
It-its okay, I stuttered, glancing around through the car windows; we werent home. Gwen 
Mom, she insisted, interrupting.
Whatever, I said quickly, Where are we?
Gwen settled back into her seat. Visiting.
I stared at her; was this really my mother? She wasnt acting like herself. She seemed&different, almost reborn as hesitant, yet caring. It was kinda comforting, yet creepy. My mom could actually care about someone other than herself!
Who? I questioned, curiosity slipping into my voice.
A friend, she said simply. Im sure hell be your friend, too, Alex.
Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a second! Alex? She never calls me Alex! Ever!
I didnt respond; she seemed distant, her eyes staring at the hover pad before us. Slowly, she unlocked car doors and they lifted from their resting place. Gwen glanced at me, almost afraid.
You want me to come, I stated the question, surprising myself, and earning a nod from Gwen.
Please, she pleaded, groping for words. I&dont like going along&and&Eric & he wont go with me&
Is that why you brought me? I knew the answer. Or, I thought I did. She surprised me by shaking her head.
No, theres another reason, a better one, I promise! her tone of voice seemed desperate.
What reason? I didnt mean to sound skeptical; I just did.
Alexander& Gwen began slowly, If I tell you now&I fear&I fear you wont go with me&
I couldnt answer her. Seriously, I didnt want to go in. This was stupid, everything about it was stupid.
But I had to say something.
Look, Ill go inside, but were leaving in ten minutes, I compromised.
Thirty, she insisted.
I sighed and slumped my shoulders. Alright, fine, thirty minutes. No more, maybe less.
We shook on it. If Id known who&what was in that hover pod, I would never have gone in. Oh, if only Id known how this would change everything.
I took a deep breath and got out of the car, following in close step to Gwen. Behind us, the doors on the car lowered and closed, clicking, beeping. The squishing of the ground told me how the recent rain had affected the country. I heard the residue water falling in the trees, a chorus of tictictuctictuctictic. The air was damp, the fresh smell of moldy leaves and mud.
Soon, Gwen and I stood before the pod entrance and the hollow gong of an ancient song boomed throughout the still, damp air. The gong renewed my misgivings about the pod. I glanced at Gwen. Her back standing erect gave off a sense of confidence; however, the sweat on the back of her neck and her shallow breathing betrayed the fear in her heart.
With a grating sound, the pod door opened, spilling little light into the still night.
Ah, Natasha, good of you to come, an unfamiliar mans voice smiled from the doorway. And who is this? the man didnt give Gwen a chance to respond. Alexander! the man exclaimed, delighted. So good of you to finally come home!
I glanced at Gwen doubtfully and questioned the man. Natasha?  Home? I asked, anger bordering on hysteria. What the hell is going on?!
The man paused. My dear, did you not tell him?
Gwen said nothing.
The man sighed. All shall be explained, Alexander, when you have been introduced to your real family.
Real family? I growled. What the frack? Tell me everything, now, or Im going back to Dad.
How, when your father is here? the man questioned
What, did ya kidnap him? I shouted. Gwen said Dad didnt like coming here!
The man paused. Oh, you mean the human who was posing as your father. Yes, that would be inconvenient if you returned to him. I doubt he would welcome you back, though.
What? I shrieked. What the hell are you talking about?! Hes my Dad! Why wouldnt he welcome me back?!
Natasha, Im surprised at you, the man sighed. You really havent told him. Not even about his family.
I&there was never a time& Gwen sighed. Im sorry, Ancestor, there is no excuse for my inaction.
The man held open his arms and Gwen went to him.
There, there, my child, all will be set right, the man promised. I almost gagged.
Really, this is nice and all, but I have school in the morning, I snorted.
The man turned to me; I couldnt see his face. You shall never see another morning, child. Today was the last you will ever see the sun.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment