Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Predator

After Shadow decided she'd had enough on her own planet, after the incident at the Prytchard Facility, she moved planets and got a job in an underground city.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 9 - Predator

Chapter 9 - Predator
A hissing scream and the sound of scrabbling echoed from the dark depths of the pit, startling everyone but Shadow.
The Weredragon launched herself forward, landing on one of the guards. The man screamed as she brought a heavy claw down across his head, shattering his skull like an egg, sending lumps of gore across the hard floor, spattering everything in it's way with red.

The other guard had thrown himself out of her way and opened fire, letting off five shots in a blind panick. Shadow roared as one of the bullets skimmed her leg, tearing some of the softer hide away. She left the limp body of the first guard and turned on his still living partner. She prowled forward, a quiet growl vibrating up through her throat and out into the room making the guard step backwards as she closed the gap between herself and him.

He lost his footing as he placed his left foot on the edge of the gaping hole in the floor and the others took their chances and fled the room as Shadow watched intently as the guard flailed and disappeared into the darkness below. She heard him hit the dirt floor with a dull, bone breaking thud, then turned around to search for Tillie as the screaming began.

Shadow bounded down the concrete passageway, ignoring the pain in her leg as she followed the woman's scent. She came to a narrow door and knocked it down with a bounding charge and shouldered her way through the narrow gap. She looked around at the large, brightly lit front hall of Tillie's mansionesque house. Spreading out to her right was the kitchen, the dining area and the living room and office. To her left was the large stair caise that wound it's way upward into the lofty vastness of the house.
Shadow inhaled deeply, but Tillie's scent was everywhere. She couldn't make out which was the most recent which frustrated her immensely and she let out a growling huff.

The maid who opened the door the other night strode out of the room opposite, feather duster in hand and a set of head phones pressed against her ears. Shadow watched intently as the woman paled and lept back into the living room and slammed the door shut. The sound of furniture being dragged across carpet and wood filled the empty silence. Shadow grunted and spat a line of fire across the hall, melting through anything that it touched. She ran down the hall and bounded off the front porch, and with a strong, downward strike of her wings, she was airborne.

Each powerfull beat of her wings took her higher into the dawn sky. She inhaled the sweet air and let out a roar that sent birds scattering away from her. Her roar echoed across the land and it was answered. She almost fell from her stride when she heard it. She caught the sound again and heard it as a roar of agony, not quite animal but not Human either.
She wheeled away and searched for one of the entrances to the underground city.


''They did what?'' Bently sputtered from behind his desk.
The small dark green creature scrubbed his webbed hands over his face and sighed heavily.
''We need to take this to the Mayor.'' He said after a pause.
''What? Why?'' Shadow said, her brow furrowing.
''Because, he has surface contacts. And he still owes me.''
Shadow stood up and stretched her leg.

''How's your leg?'' Bently asked.
''Better now Ode's worked his magic on it.'' She grinned.
''Good. Because if this creature you heard last night was another Weredragon and Meyark's got his grubby mitts on them, then I'm hoping you'll be gracious enough to help it however you can.''
Shadow paused then nodded before heading back to the main doors of the club.


Three days had passed and the only thing Meyark had done was make a couple of angry phone calls.
Bently set up a meeting with the Mayor of the underground city to discuss Neon Junction's ever growing problem and it's future.
The Mayor's surface contacts confirmed that Meyark was indeed involved with a Weredragon, but it had only recently turned up after one of Meyark's house keeper's went missing under mysterious circumstances. Few people knew about the house keeper's disappearance as the police weren't involved, so no one outside of the Governor's contacts knew about the current condition of the house keeper.

The Mayor set up a secret vote between his own contacts and those who make a living off the club.
Two options were chosen; Life imprisonment in the underground's prison or death.
All but two voted the more permanent option of death.


''So be it.'' The Mayor said after a briefe study of the results. ''Governor Meyark shall be executed under our own laws for multiple attempts at murder, the ressurrection of a convicted murderer, conspiracy to plot, illegal experimentations and kidnap.''
''Whoah. What a list.'' Ode murmered.
''As for this Weredragon and daughter of his,'' The Mayor continued. ''the lycan will be destroyed by it's equal counterpart and his daughter will serve five years in the underground's prison for assisting in his plotting.''

A murmer of agreement rippled through the large room as the Mayor stepped down from the stage.
''I take it you're the equal counterpart.'' Siad a smooth, femenine voice from behind Shadow and Ode.
They looked over their shoulders at Tiffany who was pulling her long, silvery white hair back into a tail.
''How'd you guess?'' Shadow said with a slanted smile.
''Oooh, I dunno. I think the fact that there's very few Weredragons left in existence might be something to do with it...''
The crowd pushed towards the door, making bee lines to their chosen modes of transport.
''What about you?'' Ode said over the rising din of chatter traffic.
''She's going to be back at the club, keeping an eye on things.''

Everybody looked down at Bently.
''What!'' Tiffany squeeked. ''You mean I don't get a cut of the fun?'' She frowned.
''Not this time, I'm afraid.'' The little man said.
''What about me?'' Ode said hopefully.
''You and your band will be playing.'' Bently said smoothly. ''I have a rranged for a couple of good friends to act as bouncers for the night. That is all I'm going to say out here. I suggest you all head back to the club for more information.'' He finished and climbed into his private taxi, leaving the three stood on the catwalk outside the meeting hall.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment