Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Neon Junction

After Shadow decided she'd had enough on her own planet, after the incident at the Prytchard Facility, she moved planets and got a job in an underground city.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 11 - Neon Junction

Chapter 11 - Neon Junction
Shadow inhaled deeply and everyone ran out of Meyark's house, watching as the Weredragon ignited everything around her.
She unfurled her wings and launched herself off upwards, through the shattered dome in the roof of the large house as it burned.
She looked down on the retreating undergrounders as they made their way through the thick ground fog towards a hidden trapdoor buried in the undergrowth that skirted Meyark's property. She heard sirens in the distance, growing nearer and nearer. A short roar of warning sped Xan and the other men up and she circled back to her own surface trapdoor a few miles away where she'd left her clothing.


''Nineteen?'' Tiffany said from behind the bar.
''Well, he was about that age anyway.'' Shadow said and took another swig of her drink.
''And the whole thing with the armour...?'' Xan hazarded from beside her.
''Uh huh,'' Shadow said bleakly. ''I'd rather side step the whole facility discussions, thanks.''
Tiffany and Xan nodded.

''I have some good news!'' Bently beamed from his office doorway from beside the instrument riddled stage. ''Neon Junction is now officially in the mayor's protection!''
''What's the bad news?'' Tiffany asked suspiciously.
Bently hesitated a moment, looking from face to face.
''He now owns part of the club.''

''How much of the club exactly?'' Shadow asked, leaning forward on her stool next to the bar.
''Well, technically, he only owns the stage, that cubby hole of seats and three bar stools.''
There was a quiet chuckle when Bently took a breath.

''But on the upside, if anything goes wrong with the club, or if anyone tries buying us out with force again, the mayor will be directly involved from the start.'' He added.
''It won't have an affect on how the place is run, will it?'' Xan asked.

Bently shook his head then jumped when Hillary suddenly appeared behind the bar.
Ode strode in and made himself at home on the stage as the rest of his band mates filtered in, disgarding their jackets and coats on the tall speakers.
''Now that we're all here, can we get ready to open the doors?'' Bently said and walked back into his office, a slight bounce entering his usually motionless stride.


Shadow and Xan walked out onto the catwalk where a long line of punters were waiting to gain entrance to the club. The two bouncers took up their postions on either side of the double doors, propping them open when the florescent sign above their heads flickered on, bathing them and the first couple of undergrounders in the que in a neon green and red glow.

''New light?'' Shadow said, squinting up at it.
''Yup. Arrived yesterday.''
''Blindin'.''
''Quite.'' Xan said and squinted up at it too, before returning to checking the passes.


''I wonder what's going on up there now.'' Xan mused after an hour of checking passes.
''We got five hours left. Want me to take a quick gander?''
Xan paused a moment, his eyes glazing as he thought about the proposition, then nodded.
''Be quick about it though.'' He said.
Shadow grinned and took off down the catwalk at a run.


Half an hour later, Shadow was in the air, leaving the smouldering ruins of Meyark's house behind.
The police and fire brigade were still there, along with a couple of ambulances a large, unmarked black van, which was possibly due to the strange, six limbed remains that was once the young Weredragon.

Tillie's house had been cordoned off too, except there were two more unmarked black vans there.
Were there more than one zombie hidden under the house? Shadow shuddered at the thought.
Keeping to the low clouds, she wheeled back and made her way down to the underground city once she'd recovered from her change.


''You mean there could've been more than one of those things hidden under her house?'' Xan exclaimed, making a drunked punter jump. ''Sorry.'' He apologised.
''Sh'awight.'' She slurred cheerfully, her crystal blue plumage smoothing down again as she relaxed and continued to wobble off down the catwalk singing one of Ode's songs as loud as she could.

''Possibly.'' Shadow replied. ''Could also explain what Meyark did to those who crossed him.''
Xan blinked a couple of times and sighed.
''Glad it's all over.'' He said eventually.
''Yeah, me too. Now we can carry on like normal.''

They looked across to the opposite catwalk and watched a briefe spat between a small, feathered man in red, studded leather and a taller, heavy set man with long, split ears and a golden coloured skin in a knee length blue coat.
The small, feathered man flipped his opponent over the safety railing with ease and the two bouncers, plus a couple more spectators watched as the much larger man fell screaming onto a large net three levels down, where he lay spread eagled and wide eyed for a few moments before comming back to his senses, swearing bitterly and clambering back to the relative safety of the catwalks he'd fallen to.

''.... Or what passes off as normal down here.'' Xan grinned, and they both returned to their posts on either side of Neon Junction's main doors.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment