Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Melbourn's Secrets

Mystikal's a homeless crossbreed who finds life hard because of his appearance. He steals to survive but is soon haunted by a shadowy figure.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 4 - Melbourn's Secrets

Chapter 4 - Melbourn's Secrets
The rain poured, bouncing off the concrete and asphalt he was stood on. The building of Melbourn towered over him like a faceless glass and concrete monster, ready to devour anyone that dared enter through the revolving doors. He wondered about the strange man he met earlier and how he knew his name; his real name. No one had called him Jin for a long time and it worried him.

An icy cold shiver ran up and down his spine and he looked to the right. A misty black figure stood in the rain, the same figure that had been there when he woke up in the alley and the same figure that had been watching him from the door of the disabled toilet. He blinked and the figure wavered, disappearing into the pouring rain. He mentally shook himself and took a hesitant step through the door, his nails clicking on the cold marble floor as he walked towards the front desk.

The entrance hall was like an ice cavern, white marble stretching upwards and outwards, creating a cold feel. White and grey leather chairs sat in organised clusters in the corners and flat screen TVs hung on the walls displaying the news. A dark yellow female western looked up from a computer screen and eyed him up suspiciously. She was wearing a black skirt suit and had thin rimmed glasses on, her lips puckered in a look of distaste as she looked Mystikal over, his dripping, worn clothes hanging off his lithe body like old rags. Mystikal swallowed hard when she spoke.

''Can I help you?'' She said in a voice colder than the room they were in.
''Someone told me to come here.'' He said hesitantly, kicking himself mentally for sounding so ridiculous. ''A short, scruffy looking male Dragon. Sounds as if he's smoked too much. I don't know what he looks like, he had his hood up...'' He trailed off as she reached for a button.
''Don't look so frightened.'' She said, a slanted smile comming to her face. ''That guard over there will escort you to the CEO's office.'' She gestured to a tall, well built black and red western as he strode towards them. The guard looked at Mystikal and raised an eyebrow. A moment's pause and he ushered Mystikal towards an elevator.

The doors closed effortlessly and the elevator moved up, towards it's destination. The guard said nothing. He didn't even look at the crossbreed stood next to him. The bell pinged again and the doors slid back onto a large space filled with desks, each with a secretary at one, busying herself with filing, talking to clients on the phone or tapping away at her computer. Six in total. One set of black oak double doors stood defiant against the stale white of the building. The guard escorted him towards it and knocked on the door. None of the secretaries looked away from what they were doing, as if fearing the consequences of being caught out, doing something other than their job.

A muffled voice came from the other side of the door; a rough male voice. It didn't belong to the spiv who'd collard him in the public bathroom earlier. This one seemed tired and angry.
The door opened slowly. The room on the other side was dark; green glassed lamps lighting up the innards. The room was completely different to the rest of the building. It felt warm, but it wasn't inviting. He felt out place here, but whatever money was being offered, he needed it desperately. He didn't care how much he was offered, just so long as it was enough to live on for at least a day.
A dark grey Dragon looked over his shoulder. He was stood at one of the large windows, looking out onto the city as it was being drowned by the relentless rain. He was wearing a pinstripe business suit, his wings tucked firmly against his back. He eyed Mystikal up, a flicker of interest sparking in his eyes.

''It's been a while boy.'' He said, turning back to window.
Mystikal flinched and turned his head as the doors closed behind him with a gentle click. Something about this wasn't right and he didn't know what it was.
''How can it when we've never met before.'' Mystikal found himself saying and shrank back towards the door, freedom, when the grey looked at him again from the corner of his eyes.
But it wasn't an accusing look. It was one of slight amusement.
''Haven't we?'' He said lightly. ''Anyway. That isn't why you're here. That subject can be discussed later. You're here for money. Assuming you pull of the job, that is.'' He sat down on one of the brown leather chairs that was set against the wood panelled wall and gestured for Mystikal to take up a seat with him.

He sat down on the edge of the small two seater sofa, his eyes scanning the room.
''What's your interest in The Midnight Stone?'' Mystikal said bluntly.
''It's a family heirloom. Passed down from generation to generation. Or at least it was until it was stolen from us two hundred years ago. I've asked the owner politely to give it back on several occasions and he's refused. I've even offered him extortionate amounts of money for it, yet still, he refuses to hand it over.''
''So you want me to steal it?''
The grey nodded and pulled the stopper out of a crystal bottle full of deep red liquid, pouring some out into a matching crystal tumbler. ''Care for a drink Jin?'' He said, offering an empty tumbler.
''How d'you know my name?'' He said, ignoring the offer.
''Again, we can discuss that later.'' He replied cooly.

Mystikal sighed heavily, feeling frustrated.
''I run a powerful company, boy. If you succeed in retrieving The Midnight Stone, then I can offer you not only money, but protection and a roof over your head.''
Mystikal gaped. Never in his life had someone made him such a generous offer.
''You have a few minutes more to think about it. After that, it's either yes or no.''
Mystikal shook his head, trying to clear all the thoughts. ''Fine. I'll do it.'' He found himself saying.
''Ah, excellent!'' The grey smiled. ''I'll have Jonas sort you out some equiptment.'' He walked over to his desk and pushed a button. A few seconds later, a short western walked in.
''Yes Mr. T-'' He was cut off by the grey's short glare. ''Yessir. What can I do for you?''
Mystikal recognised the voice. It was the Dragon who'd collard him that morning.

''Take Jin here and give him some equipment. He's kindly accepted our proposal.''
Jonas dipped his head and turned to face Mystikal. ''C'mon guy. Let's get you some new toys.'' He grinned and walked out of the office.
They walked down a corridoor at the left of the secretary room outside the office and entered a long, sterile room. Racks of weapons and gadgets and lockers lined the walls. Low benches sat squat down the center of the room in perfect line as strip lights hidden in the ceiling illuminated everything brightly.

''What do you guys do here exactly?'' Mystikal asked.
''Oh you know... A bit of this, a bit of that. But only on the side. We're mainly an architect company, designing and building all kinds of things. That's what the public see. Only those with the right stuff, as I call it, know about this side of the company.'' Jonas replied smugly.
He walked over to a locker at the other end of the room and opened it. Inside was a black suit.
''Got built in armour plating. Can't remember what they call the material, but it hides your body heat from any heat systems that may be about. Stay still, and you won't be noticed at all. You'll be practically invisible!''
Mystikal grunted. He'd been practically invisible all his life without the aid of a special suit.
''Don't tell me I'm expected to wear this.'' He grumbled.
Jonas nodded.

''There's also a grappling hook, powder spray for beam trips, and in the finger tips of the gloves, are small glass cutters. There's also a decoder card, as most security systems run on cards. Uh, the goggles allow you to see things without any form of lighting. They also pick up certain sensors. I'm assuming you've got your own lock picking set, yeah?''
''Yeah. Take it everywhere with me.''
''Oh good. Oh, one last thing; Leave the pack here. There's plenty of hidden pouches and pockets in the suit. I'll meet you outside.'' He said and left.
Mystikal sighed and looked at the suit a moment before pulling his clothes off, replacing them with it. It fit snugly around his body and felt strange against his hide. Once he was sure he had everything intact, he pulled his own clothes on over it, concealing it. He walked out of the room and met Jonas who was stood in the secretary room, trying to chat up one of the girls.

''Have I got a time limit, or not?'' He asked, fidgeting, desperately trying to get used to the new material.
Jonas shook his head and grinned. ''So long as you get the stone and get back here without being noticed, you're fine. Now ske-daddle. I'll let the boss know you've gone.''
Mystikal turned and walked into the waiting elevator and made his way down to the main lobby.
He walked out of the elevator and headed towards the doors. The sky was darker, it was almost night and the rain had subsided to a cold drizzle. The museum was three blocks away to the east and would be closing by the time he got there. He knew there were other ways in. A fire door around the back could be easily jimmied open with the right tools, so he set off, hood up, tattered pack over his shoulder, ignoring the headache and the shadow following him.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment