Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Fire And Blood

Mystikal's a homeless crossbreed who finds life hard because of his appearance. He steals to survive but is soon haunted by a shadowy figure.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 10 - Fire And Blood

Chapter 10 - Fire And Blood
The next day, the sun finally peeked through the low grey clouds, a brief, welcome moment of warmth instead of the cold wet. Stood in que once again at the bank, the carpet smell in his nose, the staff taking worried looks at him once more, as if he might rob the place, leaving everyone for dead. He hated it here, but he'd had to come to get the money he needed. He'd draw all of it out, a total of two hundred and fifty dollars. The attendant staring at him, eyes wide, shock as if he'd just pulled a gun on her.
''If you draw that much out, the account will be empty and will shut down within twenty four hours.'' She said.
''I know.'' He said simply, ignoring the looks he was getting, ignoring the shadow that persisted in following him around.
The money was shoved to him through the metallic gap underneath the bullet proof plexiglass and he took it, putting it into his old wallet and walked out of the building, leaving behind the staff and their carpet smell.

He wasn't surprised when the rain started up again.
God's always pissing on me. He grumbled in his mind, wondering what he did to deserve this, the almost constant run of bad luck that tainted every decision he made. He flicked his tongue inside his mouth, tasting blood. His own blood. The shadow was watching him again, studying as it always does. Can't have cut my mouth. He thought idly, trying to locate where the blood was comming from. No. There's no way I could have cut my mouth... He thought, spitting out a bloodied glob of spittle, watching it land in a puddle, the red slowly spreading out. The ill feeling was still in his stomach, had been since he walked out of Melbourn, slowly getting worse, now accompanied by a bleeding mouth.

You've made a powerful enemy today Jin. I have ways of getting to people even beyond the grave. Those words stuck in his mind. He wondered if it was true, if the CEO could get to him, harm him, without even having to touch him. Magic was rare, but it wasn't impossible. Then it struck him; the shadow could be somehow related to the goings on in Melbourn, one of the CEO's spies or assassins, possibly both. Mystikal growled and strode off toward Melbourn, breaking the promise he made to himself, swearing to never go back there again. But in his mind, he saw very little choice, he had a feeling the CEO was behind this, and he was going to stop him, even if he ended up getting killed in the process.

I go down, I'm dragging you down with me, bastard. He hissed in his mind, ignoring the pain in his stomach and the blood in his mouth, forgetting the man down at the river docks, striding towards Melbourn, the faceless building that stood tall against the skyline, nestled within the other sky scrapers. He was at the door before he knew it, the glass rotating door, the cold hard street on the outside, the cold hard lobby on the inside. The dark yellow western female was sat at her desk, the main reception desk, the tall, stocky black and red western security guard stood off to one corner, both watching him carefully as he made for the elevator, the guard comming after him as he pressed the button.

''I thought you'd left never to return.'' The guard grunted, then stopped the following sentence abruptly when he noticed the line of stickywet crimson oosing from the corner of the crossbreed's mouth. ''What the frack happened to you?'' He said instead.
Mystikal just looked at him, stepping into the richly lined elevator. ''What does the CEO know about black magic?'' He gurgled, as if his lungs and throat were filling with blood.
The guard stepped into the elevator next to him. ''He knows allsorts. He has used black magic a few times, but he only uses that on those he really doesn't like.'' He trailed off, noticing that Mystikal was looking dead ahead, staring at the doors, his paws balling into fists repeatedly, knuckles going white then red dripping from his claw tips as he flexed his paws before fisting them again, digging into his palms.

''If you're planning on doing what I think you're here to do, I wouldn't even try it. You'd be dead before you even reach him.''
''Shame. That means I'll just have to tear him apart from beyond the grave.''
The guard shrank back at the look on Mystikal's face. There was just a frown and the faintest of snarls twisting his lips, his once lively purple eyes holding nothing but hollow malice.
The elevator pinged and the door opened, sliding back to reveal the reception area of the upper floor. Feeling more ill than before now, just within a few seconds he was ready to collapse here and die, on the floor of the elevator, only determination to end the life of the twin city's most powerful CEO kept him going strong as his stomach burned and twisted, the taste of acidic bile tainting the hot metallic taste of blood on the back of his tongue. The heavy twin doors at the end of the white room were pushed open by the guard, curious to see what was going to happen.

The CEO stood at his window once again, the exact same spot where Mystikal had first seen him, the pinstripe suit still perfect on his slender frame and wings tucked tightly against his back.
''I was wondering when you'd get here. Hell, I'm surprised you made it here.'' The CEO turned around to face Mystikal, the guard closing the doors behind them, leaving them alone.
''What've you done t' me?'' Mystikal snarled, a bloody gurgle entering his hard tone.
''Nothing.'' The CEO said innocently. ''I was just practicing some of my spells.'' He shrugged.
Mystikal narrowed his eyes and stepped forward, furthering his position in the dark office. The CEO didn't budge, his eyes studying the crossbreed in front of him, looking for any signs of weapons, smiling when he found none, sure that he didn't have any.
''What spells?'' Mystikal demanded, bloodied spittle flying from his lips.

The CEO reached into the air in front of him, one eye closed, squeezing his hand shut and twisting. Mystikal gasped and fell to the floor, blood trickling from his nose now too, running down his whiskers and dripping onto the maroon carpet.
''Just some self preservation spells, something no CEO should go without.''
Mystikal snarled and clawed at the carpet through the seering pain, trying to get to his feet. The CEO turned his back on him again, looking out of the window once more.
''It's a shame you know. Melbourn's going to be spreading further towards the southern part of the city and you could have been an important part of the project. Alas, you had to go and piss me off. I mean really. Storming out of the boss' office, trying to drown yourself then blame it on me?'' He tsked. Mystikal's mouth worked soundlessly. ''I know you've had that shadow following you everywhere, that's why I wanted you.''
''You know about it?'' He wheezed, scrabbling to his feet. ''What the frack is it?''
''It's your Death.'' The CEO said darkly. ''But it can be controlled with a certain spell, one that I have and I also know how to cast it. Only problem is, I don't have your cooperation, so I'm afraid, I'm going to have to torture you into submission, kinda like I did with my seceratary in the main lobby and my security guard who's waiting for you outside.''

His insides were on fire now, doubling him over, leaning on his bent knees as he swayed on his feet, gasping for air, blood dripping from his mouth like the rain poured down outside. He was in pain, but he kept his eyes focused, his mind set on what he wanted to do, what so many other people wanted to do. He stepped forward, the CEO didn't look back; either he could see him in the reflection in the window or he was too cocky for his own good. Mystikal agreed on the latter, hoped that was the case, wanting to get at least one blow in before he was crushed. He lept forward, across the desk, wings flared, the only things about him that didn't hurt blindingly, and smashed into the back of the CEO. The window vibrated in protest but didn't shatter and they staggered back, struggling, falling onto the desk, breaking it as they landed heavily. A fist connected with Mystikal's jaw, but he managed to remove a lump of flesh with a swipe of a claw, leaving a large gash in the side of the CEO's face, the soft tissue of his lips being shredded as Mystikal went at him again, claws extended, razor sharp and bloody like his mouth. The CEO roared in agony and anger but no one came into the office to help him, leaving him at the mercy of his enraged son as he was flipped over, blood dripping into his face, mixing with his own as a flame ignited at the back of the crossbreed's throat, the last thing the CEO saw.

The floor around the CEO's charred head smouldered, the scent of burning nylon, cotton and paper and wood infiltrating the crossbreed's bloodied nostrils. The pain inside him stopped as the CEO's life disappeared with the flames, the only pain now was in his jaw and his mouth. It'd been many years since he'd breathed fire and the protective lining of his throat and mouth had become useless and tainted by the blood that had been comming from his mouth. The door opened a crack and a large black reptillain head lined with red horns peeked into the room, before the rest of the body followed, wary of what had just happened. Mystikal tried to stand up, but his knees buckled beneath him and he collapsed into the remains of the desk and the CEO as darkness swallowed him.


He opened his eyes again, a different room, a different building. The smell homely and welcoming and the black Dragon's head appeared above him once more, worry etched into it's hard features.
''You're awake then.'' The guard said. ''Didn't think you were gonna make it, but once again, you surprised me.'' That was said with a relieved smile.
''Now where am I?'' Mystikal grumbled sleepily.
''At my house, away from the madness of Melbourn.''
''The CEO...?''
''Like you left him: Dead.'' He replied as if it didn't matter. ''You have no idea how many of the rival companies want to shake you paw for getting rid of him. You did us all a favour. Seriously.''
Mystikal blinked, barely able to recall what had happened. The shadow was gone, no longer there to watch or to study. Just the guard, in civilian clothes. He pulled himself upright, his stomach gurgled hungrily and his mouth like a soot bowl, but a weight off his shoulders.

''How long have I been here?'' He asked curiously, looking around at the lush surroundings, the house having an eastern feel to it.
''About a week. It's Friday and you passed out Monday.''
''Uh, bathroom?''
''First door on the left.'' He said pointing towards the door and watched the crossbreed move unsteadily towards the door. ''You're welcome to stay here for as long as you like.'' The guard, Leo, called after him.

When he came back into the room, he looked out of the window, the sky the bluest he'd seen in weeks, the rain drying up, mud puddles going hard and cracking under the sun, the earth finally warming up and drying out after being drowned for so long under the rain.
''What's gonna happen now?'' Mystikal asked.
Leo shrugged. ''There was no second in command. Andre didn't like the idea of anyone being ready to step into his shoes, so to speak. Near enough everyone has agreed on putting the business up for auction. Let the other big CEOs argue over who get's to run Melbourn now he's gone. Anyone don't like it, there's nothing from stopping them upping and leaving to find another job.''

''What about me?''
''Company protection. The authority doesn't know who killed him, and with the pay off the other companies gave 'em to stay off their backs while this mess gets sorted out, they ain't bothered. An evil man has had his dose of karma, case closed, good night ladies and gentlemen.''
Mystikal looked at him.
''You really think someone's gonna bump you off for ridding the world of a menace? Pfft. You got balls kid. Bigger balls than I have, I give ya that. But like I said before you scurried off to empty yourself, you're free to hang around here as long as you want. Could do with a bit of company even if it is lurking about in the background.''
This time Mystikal smiled, the strange feeling of being wanted something new to him. Maybe this was the moment he could turn his life around, earn some extra cash and eat on a regular basis.

He looked around the room. Still no sign of the shadow that followed him everywhere. His shoulders sagged as he relaxed, the feeling being completely alien to him.
He shook his head slowly.
''Thanks. But I dunno. I dunno what I wanna do next. I was supposed to be heading out to the main land before I ended up here.''
''Think about it. For as long as you want.'' Leo said and headed out of the room, closing the door behind him as Mystikal sank onto the bed, staring out of the window at the blue skies beyond.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment