Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Hostage

A story written from Shade's point of view.
His on/off girlfriend Ann is kidnapped during the chaos after a race and is held at ransom.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 4 - Hostage

Chapter 4 - Hostage
''Find her?''
''Sort of...'' He replied.
I growled at him suddenly finding myself in a bad mood. He dragged me into his hangar and handed me a note. It was hand wirtten and from the Onnotian. I read through it three times. The motherucker had Ann and was holding her hostage. He wanted something that I couldn't give up in return for her safe delivery back to me. He'd enclosed a picture of her, bound and gagged in his ship.
''Once you have the ship, contact me. The code is A77-889-B3.''
The note crumpled in my fist. I wanted to turn it to ashes, but knew I couldn't. I'd need it for the code. And possibly for Lucas to see if he could get anything more from it. I handed it to him. He held it a moment, his eyes closed. He shook his head.
''I dunno where they are. I'm getting nothing from it. Sorry dude. Looks like we're gonna have to do it the old fashioned way.''
We watched as a small group of bots hauled his ship into the hangar, set it up on it's umbilicals and left. I guessed mine would be in on it's life support by now.
''What's our first move, boss?''
I looked down at the note he'd handed back to me.
''We go pay my mum a visit. He wants something she uses on a regular basis. So we need her opinion on the situation too.''

I managed to get an audio message through to the Shadow Stalker HQ. I wasn't expecting an answer anytime soon, but three hours passed and I got one back. It was my mum. Apparently she'd told General Newark about it and they'd discussed the outlines of a plan. I had to meet her on the newest station, Mid-Space. This is the first I've heard about Mid-Space. She said it was a public oriented station for travellers and businesses alike to stay a while and refuel. Once Lucas had got back from his public grilling by the press and his loyal fanbase that had turned up to the live show, I played the message for him.
''So I gotta sit in on this too?''
I nodded. ''Yeah. I dunno what they got planned, but we better leave first thing.''
He sighed and leaned back in the chair he was sat on.
''We're gonna have one of those weeks, huh?'' He yawned.
I nodded, feeling fatigue setting in.


Three rings and a central disc. Outer ring - Docking. Secondary ring - Public acommodations and small businesses. Inner ring - Crew acommodations. Central Disc - The bridge, offices, engine room etcetera. Two days in hyper space had brought us this far, into previously unclaimed territory. Now two old enemies work together, peace treaty and mutual respect in place, a new space station finally up and running. Three years to build and this was the first time I'd ever seen it. I'd heard about it, but never seen any pictures of it. It was an amazing sight. The station rotating lazily as ships of different shapes, sizes and varieties came and went. Me and Lucas were ordered into docking bay seven where our ships were guided in by a short row of lights either side, a lift lock being guided down, clamping onto the area of various grooves just behind the cockpit. I climbed out landing on the smooth docking bay floor, looking a female Equine dead in the eye. Lucas, however, was looking at something just below her neckline.
''My face is up here, Mew.'' She said smoothly.
He looked up, a sheepish grin on his face.
''You're Commander Ironclaw's son, right?''
I nodded, the Commander part still floating on the outskirts of my mind.

The last time I'd spoken to my mum, she was a sergeant. I wondered what had happened to JD to promote her to being second in command, then wondered if Chief Coltan meant that she was the second in command on the station. Chief Coltan walked in front of us. Lucas' eyes had strayed south again, and I can guarantee that it wasn't her tail he was infatuated with. She led us down a series of corridoors and into the inner ring. She left us at a door, waiting for whoever was inside. I pressed the button on the frame once and the door slid open. My mum was sat at a desk. On the wrong side. She looked over her shoulder at us and forced a smile. I didn't smile and her own slid from her face. She stood up and walked to me, pulling me into a tight hug. I breathed in her scent deeply and a flood of memories came back. Mainly from my childhood. Hunting lessons. Games we played. Stories she'd told. And the places we'd lived until I was old enough to make my own decisions. I didn't want to, but I pulled away, looking at her scarred face, her left eye slowly dulling, the old wound finally taking full effect of blinding her.
''Heard any more from this Onnotian or Ann?'' She asked.
I shook my head.

Lucas flopped down onto the chair at the side of the room.
''Who're we waiting for?''
''The General. He's tending to some business right now, but he'll be here within the next couple of minutes. I hope.'' She said.
''So. I hear you're a Commander now?'' Lucas said, changing the subject, trying to lighten the mood.
My mum nodded.
''JD left the team. Dunno where he is. But he left Spirit in charge and she told me that I was gonna be the new second in command.''
She sat back down and I took up the chair next to her.
''So you're still on the Stalkers team?''
She nodded.
''And we're gonna help you get out of this mess.'' She smiled.
Not teasing, but a reassuring smile. One that I'd missed so many times.
I hated relying on her, but sometimes she has the resources and connections that I don't have. And right now I need her more than I ever have. Because I was beginning to figure out which woman I'd slept with meant the most to me.

An old Bear walked into the room. He was in full uniform. General Newark. Head of the Shadow Stalkers. He sat down behind the desk, paws entwined and resting on the smooth black surface. He looked at us. From Lucas, to me and to my mum. It's hard to tell what he's thinking. He's unpredictable. His face always neutral and calm, even when he's pissed off.
''I heard about your predicament Shade.'' He said calmly. ''And rest assured, we have a plan. Although, it will require you to carry it out on your own.''
I looked at Lucas. He fidgeted.
''We will be sending you with the ship he wants. You will hand it over in exchange for the girl.''
My jaw tightened. He noticed.
''I haven't finished yet.'' He said flatly and continued.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment