Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - T'rarn Maintanence

A story written from Shade's point of view.
His on/off girlfriend Ann is kidnapped during the chaos after a race and is held at ransom.

Everything (c) me (Amy)

Chapter 9 - T'rarn Maintanence

Chapter 9 - T'rarn Maintanence
I woke up face down in my pillow, cover hanging over the edge of the bed. It was a spacious room. One of the officer's quarters. A small double bed, a decent sized window, a low table with two grey upholstered chairs similar to the couch that ran the length of window wall and a small shower room. It's the first time in ages I've been this comfortable on a ship. I looked at the time. And sat bolt upright. I'd slept two hours longer than I wanted. I didn't know if the liner, White Rose was still being successfully towed through the slip stream of hyper space. I looked out the window and saw that we were back in ordinary space. A red dot flashed rythmically in the distance. I had a quick wash and pulled my clothes on, stepping out into the yellow lit hallway of the old war bird. This felt strange. I was so used to waking up in the cockpit of my small racer. Stepping into the industrial-esque hallway of an ex-warship knowing that it was now mine and Lucas' and Ann's was very strange. I walked towards the bridge. Lucas wasn't there. Neither was commander Me'rass. My mum was sat at Lucas' console up front.
''Lucas still in bed?''
She nodded.
''Yup.''

I walked up to my own console and took a seat. I saw that the liner was still in tow, but a little way behind again.
''How're they doing?''
''They pulled back from our shield as soon as we came out of the slip stream, which was two hours ago. Since then, they're containment shield has gone back to steadily declining.''
''How far 'till T'rarn?''
''Not far now. About two hours. I can already see their main beacon.'' She said, looking up and out of the main viewing window that stretched halfway around the bridge. ''The T'rarn orbital maintanence yard has been alerted to our situation. They're now clearing a large enough dock for the White Rose and organising transport and lodgings for the crew and passengers.''
That was a relief. Get the liner into dry dock for repairs and we can be gone, on the last leg of our journey. One step closer to Ann. I tried to force her back out of my current train of thought and concentrated on checking the ship's systems. Even if it didn't need it, it gave me something to do for the next two hours.

The next time I look up from the console, the mainanence station's there, in plain view. Four tugs show up on the radar.
''Nea'Kemna, please proceed to uncouple yourself from White Rose.'' Said a voice from over the com. It was male, and sounded as if it needed sleep.
So we did as we were told. We let the liner float free and we foolowed the coordinates that were sent to us, moving out of the way into a position that gave us the pefect view to watch the whole operation. The four tugs were dwarved by the White Rose as they sidled up alongside her, using their own beams to manouver her towards the maintanence station. It wasn't something you got to see everyday, unless you worked on one of these space bound rigs. The containment shield was flickering angrily now, threatening to shut down at any moment. The station's own shielding flared as they passed through it, only settling down when they were on the other side of it, the liner being docked. As soon as it was firmly in place, a swarm of people disembarked onto the dockside, getting off the ship just in time for the containment shield to fail.
''Nea'Kemna, please hold your position.'' This voice was different. Still audio only though.
We sat for a few minutes. Mum was contacting Me'rass and Lucas and they appeared on the bridge within a few minutes of being called.
''What's the problem- Oh. She made I then, with no more casualties?'' Me'rass said, still obviously very tired.
''If she's safely in dock now, why ain't we going anywhere?'' Lucas yawned.
The pair were stood between us, looking out of the window at the swarms of shuttles moving about the stricken ship and departing the station.
''Station captain ain't letting us go. They told us to hold our position.'' I said.
A few more minutes of waiting and the channel opened fully. Captain Jenkins was stood in a station side office, a mass of station workers going about their business behind her.

''I would just like to thank you, Nea'Kemna, for your help. You have no idea how grateful I and the rest of the crew and passengers are. If there is anything we can do to pay you back, please do not hesitate to ask. The Star Cruises Head Office is based on Hendar two. I thank you again.'' She said and bowed.
The channel closed and went blank. Then that tired male voice came back on audio only.
''Nea'Kemna, you are clear to resume your course. Good day.''
''Such a nice woman. I wonder if we'll get a free holiday out of it...?'' Lucas mused.
''My guess is yes. But will we be able to take them seperately, or will we have to holiday together?'' Me'rass said.
I shrugged.
''Dunno. But let's hold 'em for the favour. At least until we really need it.''
''Good idea, kid.'' Mum said.
''Right. Shall we resume our course for Rylgarr, then?'' Me'rass said.
I put the ship back on course without hesitation.
''You can go back to bed now, if you want.'' Mum said.
''I think I may just do that, commander Ironclaw.'' He said, stifling a yawn.

For the next hour and a half, me and mum sat discussing everything and anything we could think of. Up until the other day, we hadn't seen each other for over a cycle. That was a long time to go with just sending each other recorded messages. Holding a conversation like that didn't work very well. Especially when our working lives are more unpredictable than our non-working lives. She asked me if I was ever gonna get married one day. Not something I'd ever expect from my mum, but then her marriage to Chester was something completely unexpected too. I never had her down as the marrying type. But then, everyone's unpredictable in one way or the other, even the really boring ones who think doing paperwork in the back of a grey office for a telemarketing company is fun. Yes. Even those people can be spontaneous. I looked up at the sound of an incomming message. It was pre-recorded and it was from the Onnotian. The screen flickered on and he stood there, in a forest green flight suit. I couldn't make out where it is he's standing. It looks like a communications booth. A really old communications booth.
''Where are you, Ironclaw? You were supposed to be registering insystem an hour ago.'' He growled. ''If you're not here with the Stalker Mk II within the next twelve hours, I will kill this little Ant of yours. Contact me as soon as you arrive. You have my code.'' He finished sweetly and the video crackled and ended.

Mum placed a paw on my arm. That was when I realised I was growling and my fists were bunched, nails drawing blood from my palms. He wasn't gonna get away with this. I'd at least get in a few hits before I leave him to his precious little ship.
''We will get Ann back. I guarantee it, Shade.''
I said nothing. Didn't even look at her.
''When have I ever let you down?'' She added.
I looked at her then. I looked into those cold black eyes of hers. I saw the fire burning there.
''Engage the hyper drive.'' I said and the slip stream opened up and swallowed us, the hyper drive pushing us forward through our own piece of untouchable space, towards Rylgarr and the Onnotian and Ann.
I dunno what he was playing at now. He didn't give us a time limit in the letter he left. I just took things as fast as I could. Seems like that liner had cost me more time than I'd liked it to. But then, if it weren't for Lucas' cunning plan, Ann would probably be dead already. But then, there's no telling whether she's still alive or not. That's not a thought I want lurking about in my head, but something I have to keep hold of, incase the fracker has killed her. I stare out the window at the slip stream, trying to think of other things.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment