Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 0 - Prologue

2nd Story is about the last survivor of the Independence Culture (I). A Proto-Inuit civilisation who lived about 4000-3000 years ago.

Chapter 0 - Prologue

Chapter 0 - Prologue
- Prologue -

 
     This is the story of Apsida, a female magician of the Sputnik breed. In a world where several millennia of interbreeding have caused the disappearance of pure-blooded magicians, she is a rare example of someone who is 75% or more of a single bloodline. The unfortunate thing for her, though, is that this 75% is Sputnik. Each magical breed has a different speciality, and for the Sputniks it’s time travel. Apsida works as a freelance time traveller, performing odd jobs for anyone who requests her services. This is quite rare for a Sputnik, actually. Most of them either ignore their magical properties and live and die like normal human beings, or train themselves in generic magical abilities so that they can take some sort of unspecialised magic-based job.
     You see as a sort of cost, or compensation for their amazing ability, Sputniks are doomed to a life of mediocrity: Nothing they do can ever be of much importance. People would pay billions for their services—assassinating political enemies, going into the future for advanced technologies, preventing people’s deaths—the Sputniks would probably be the most well-paid breed of magician, if only there wasn’t this restriction which means that no matter how hard they try, they are doomed to insignificance.
     Fate enforces this restriction. It will step in whenever a Sputnik tries to do something important—usually just hindering them in some way, like getting them lost or making the trains run late, but when there is nothing else it can do to prevent a significant change in history, it will have no choice but to kill the Sputnik.
     There is one loophole, however. Fate has trouble distinguishing what is important in terms of emotions. If a group of people show a wave of happiness or anger or sorrow it can tell that this is a significant change that must be stopped, but since what is important and unimportant to individuals on an emotional level is a very personal thing, and is often not all that important to the world at large, in these situations Fate does nothing to stop it.
     Taking advantage of this loophole, although it is difficult to tell whether she herself is fully aware of it, Apsida goes out and helps all kinds of people with their problems, regrets and curiosities that only she as a time traveller can do. To the world what she does is insignificant and paltry. To the people she helps, it means the world. This is her, and their story.
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment