Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Last Man on Earth II

2nd Story is about the last survivor of the Independence Culture (I). A Proto-Inuit civilisation who lived about 4000-3000 years ago.

Chapter 2 - The Last Man on Earth II

Chapter 2 - The Last Man on Earth II
The spirit appeared to me on a day near the half-moon. It was the warm season, when the summer spirit shines upon the glazed snow and ice with new ferocity after the dark, dark winter moons. I still had some rations remaining from the musk ox I had killed at a nearby feeding ground, but they too were running out, and I was carving a section of its horn into a memento for my daughter when it arrived.
     I remember my people telling me of an “apparition”, so called because it appears and disappears in an instant, so that any who saw it thought themselves mad. But it was not a legend like those passed down from our forefathers. It was more like a rumour or gossip, for almost every story explicitly states that it only began to appear after the Tholnyar, which was not many generations ago.
     My mother’s told me a tale of a foolish ice-shaman who claimed he saw a glistening afterglow, similar to that supposedly made by his kind when controlling water and ice, for a short while in the direction where the apparition appeared to him. He claimed that it was a shaman who had attained some special power, toying with us with its unique ability. But nobody believed his words, and he was ridiculed. I do not know whether that tale was a legend or a true story, but either way it does not matter, for it has already been proven wrong—the last shaman in existence died two generations ago, but apparent sightings of the spirit still continued.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment