Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - The Last Man on Earth V

2nd Story is about the last survivor of the Independence Culture (I). A Proto-Inuit civilisation who lived about 4000-3000 years ago.

Chapter 6 - The Last Man on Earth V

Chapter 6 - The Last Man on Earth V
Apsida stood on the steps in front of a large building and pulled her thick black coat closer towards her. The night sky was dark and foreboding, and the chilly winter air which periodically blew between the tall buildings of the university reminded her of the wind in Greenland, where she had been not two hours before.

     ‘Hey, Apsida.’
     ‘Yes, Cotyl?’
     ‘Why’d you insist so strongly on keeping that bone thing? It’s not like you to be so forward about something.’
     ‘Would you have preferred it if I gave it to her?’         
     ‘No, but I was expecting that I’d have to be the one to tell her she can’t have it, seeing as I’m the one who thinks those researchy types can’t be trusted with anything. I didn’t expect you to do it instead.’
     Apsida looked down at the trinket—a crude, dirty musk ox horn half-shaped into some unknown form with no comprehendible purpose.
     ‘I don’t know… But somehow I feel attracted to it, like it exhibits some kind of warmth.’
     ‘That’s cause that professor was holding it so much.’ Cotyl said sharply.
     ‘No, I don’t mean like that. I mean it feels like it’s something valuable, something that Thuluk cherished, or at least her cherished the meaning behind it, and I should cherish it too.’
     ‘You don’t even know what it is. What’s the point in you keeping it? For all you know it could be what he used to shave his armpit hair.’
     Apsida did not even flinch. ‘It could be something incredibly valuable to him, and he entrusted me with it.’
     ‘You don’t know that.’
     ‘I don’t. But I feel it.’
     Cotyl sighed, insomuch as a broom could sigh, ‘okay, whatever, if that’s what you want.’
     ‘I plan on putting it on the shelf right next to the bed in my room.’ Apsida smiled.
     ‘The same place you keep the only decent photo you have of your mother?’ Cotyl asked sarcastically (as the shelf was in fact littered with all kinds of knickknacks), ‘it must be REALLY important then!’
     ‘Maybe it is,’ Apsida replied, and placing the trinket into the inside pocket of her coat, she plunged into the iciness of the cold winter night. 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment