Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Getting to Know You

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 5 - Getting to Know You

Chapter 5 - Getting to Know You


Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )



THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 5-- Getting to Know You

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)





Zuko was sitting out on the deck, meditating, when Katara quietly walked up behind him. He sat motionless, his eyes remaining closed as she knelt down next to him. Katara hesitated for a moment, thinking she shouldn't disturb him, but then she reached out to put her hand on his shoulder. The prince instantly came out of his trance, grabbing her hand and standing up suddenly, pulling her up with him.



“Ahh!” Katara yelped in surprise as she was pulled up from the floor. Zuko held her firmly, but wasn't rough at all, holding her hand close to his chest, keeping her body close to his.



“What are you doing?” he asked her, again, stern and serious but not harsh.



“I…I'm sorry!” she stammered, trying not to cry as she looked into his eyes nervously, “I didn't mean to disturb you; I just wanted to thank you!”



“For what?!” he asked suspiciously.



“For saving my life,” she replied softly. Zuko turned his head away, gritting his teeth in frustration.



“Did my uncle tell you?” he inquired, turning back to face her.



“No, why?”



“You weren't supposed to know.”



“Well, why not?” Katara asked, looking at him confused. “I'm…very grateful to you for what you did; it was very brave.”



Zuko blushed slightly and looked away again. “Whatever…it's no big deal,” he said plainly.



Katara was quiet for a moment, looking at him. “Well…,” she spoke softly, “Thank you anyway. I really appreciate you saving me and letting me stay here on your ship.” She stood up on her tiptoes and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek as a way to say `thank you'.



Zuko turned back to her, surprised at her actions. He swallowed nervously and then nodded, accepting her gratitude. Katara smiled shyly back at him and nodded.



“Well, I guess I'll let you get back to what you were doing. Thanks again.”



The fire prince nodded and watched her turn and walk back inside the ship. He stood silently and stared after her as she went, his heart suddenly feeling lighter.





Hours later, the day was waning and the sun was preparing to set. Katara was sitting in the room by the window reading when Zuko walked in. He had been training with a crew member earlier and was ready to relax for a bit now, having already had dinner. Katara looked up when he came in and gave him a shy smile.



“Hi.”



“Hi,” he nodded to her as he walked toward the washroom, “You okay?”



She nodded, and he took note of it, before he headed into the washroom to take a bath. After a while, he came back out and sat down on the bed. Katara turned away from the window and looked at him. She watched as he lay back and closed his eyes, taking slow, deep breaths. She listened to his breathing for a few moments before she spoke.



“Zuko, where is it you and your crew are sailing to?”



The prince opened his eyes and turned to look at her. “We're going to restock our supplies at an island village.”



“I know that,” she nodded to him, “but where is your eventual destination.”



He shrugged, “Don't have a specific destination, we sail to fulfill assigned missions, and then eventually hope to go home to the Fire Nation. It's been over 2 years since I've been there.”



Katara looked at him stunned. “You haven't been home in 2 years?!”



Zuko shook his head, “Nope; been sailing for so long.”



“Did you choose to leave your home at such a young age?”



“Young age?” He looked at her curiously, “Why, how old do you think I am?”



“Oh, I don't know,” Katara shrugged, “I'm only fourteen, and I guess I didn't think you could be that much older than me.”



Zuko couldn't help but grin, “Well, I'm sixteen, and no, I didn't choose to leave, but I had to. And I'd rather not say why,” He said seriously, “I just know that I have my mission to complete now.”



She nodded, “I understand. I miss my home too, and I've only been gone for six months. Oh, I am from the South Pole Water Tribe, by the way.”



He nodded, “You miss it a lot at first, but after a while it gets easier.”



“Yeah,” she agreed. “Well, so what now?”



“What do you mean?”



Katara looked at him confused, and shrugged, “Well, I thought you were going to go with General Iroh to go get the supplies.”



Suddenly Zuko jumped up off the bed, startling the girl. He looked at her sternly, making her nervous as he seemed upset, “You mean they left already?!”



She swallowed nervously and nodded, “They had dropped the anchor and then he and another man left, hoping to reach the village before it got dark and get there in plenty of time because it could storm tonight and prevent travel!”



Zuko growled in frustration and stalked out of the room, leaving Katara to follow him and try to catch up as she rushed after him.







~TO BE CONTINUED…..




Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

phoenixfire1060 on January 1, 2007, 7:21:03 AM

phoenixfire1060 on
phoenixfire1060i like it. the words are poetic and they flow really nicely. i like the zutara pair, and i will keep reading the rest. thanks!

---Phoenix

Anne14 on October 20, 2006, 3:39:02 PM

Anne14 on
Anne14Aw, that did make me feel better, thanks! ^^ Yeah, I think I caught it from my dad, but I didn't know this kind of sickness was even catchy. Oh well... *Shrugs* I feel a lot better then I was yesterday. Thanks for caring so much. :) Oh, and great chapter by the way! ^^

SetoAngel01 on May 8, 2006, 3:15:44 AM

SetoAngel01 on
SetoAngel01Aw, that did make me feel better, thanks! ^^ Yeah, I think I caught it from my dad, but I didn't know this kind of sickness was even catchy. Oh well... *Shrugs* I feel a lot better then I was yesterday. Thanks for caring so much. :) Oh, and great chapter by the way! ^^