Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Night Time

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 6 - Night Time

Chapter 6 - Night Time


Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )



THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 6-- Night Time

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)





“I can't believe this!” Zuko angrily threw aside his uncle's staff, which he had left behind leaning against the wall. He couldn't believe that his uncle had left for town without him. They were supposed to go together to get supplies, and instead he takes a servant to assist him and leaves his own nephew behind with a waterbender!



“It's probably best if we stay here.” Katara had come up behind him and he whirled around to face her.



“I know that!” Zuko responded fiercely. “I don't need you to tell me what to do!”



“I was just saying,” Katara replied simply, “they'll surely be back in no time, and we would only get ourselves lost going out there to find them. It is best just to wait until they get back.”



Zuko glared at her, but knew she was right. The island was heavily forested, and in such a wilderness-like environment it would be all too easy to get lost and never found! He grumbled and headed back into his room. He still couldn't believe that he had to share his quarters on the ship, but his uncle insisted that the waterbender get a comfortable place to stay while on their vessel with them, and the lack of room resulted and the two of them being roommates! She even got the bed! Zuko was so frustrated with the events that he pulled down a sword off the wall to practice and let off steam.



Katara walk quietly into the room, and sat down on the bed. For a few moments she sat silently, watching him work. He certainly was a skilled fighter. After a few moments he turned around and glared at her, obviously not appreciating being stared at. She frowned at him, but decided to respect his wishes and pulled out a book and began to read.





After about 45 minutes, Zuko was exhausted from practicing. He replaced the sword on the wall and turned to look at the waterbender. She didn't look up from her reading. He frowned, but decided to forget it, and went to take a shower.



When he returned, she had finished reading and was changing into a more comfortable robe for bed. She blushed when he entered, and he was quick to realize the situation.



“I'm sorry!” He quickly turned away so that she could finish changing. He surprised even himself with his etiquette. She too was stunned that he bothered to turn away and give her her privacy. She smiled at his attempt to hide the fact that he indeed had some manners. “It's alright,” she said softly, once she had finished dressing.



“Oh… alright.” Zuko turned around, blushing a bit when he saw her. They shot soft half-smiles at each other. The longer they were together, the more the tension eased, and they seemed to enjoy each other's company more and more, grateful for it in comparison to being alone.



Katara sat down in a chair silently, and Zuko noticed her shivering in the cold of the night wind blowing through the halls of the ship. He walked toward her and she looked up meeting his eyes. He stood still for a moment and then summoned a fire. She smiled at him thankfully and warmed herself in front of it. Zuko took another chair and sat before the fire as well.



Another 20 minutes or so passed in silence, and Zuko could feel her eyes on him.



“If you want to know something, just ask me,” he said softly.



“Huh?” Katara blushed, feeling bad for staring. She had been wondering about the scar on his face, but didn't dare ask him for fear of offending him. She was silent for a few moments wondering what to do, but didn't answer him.



Zuko gave an exasperated sigh and shook his head. He had opened the door for her to ask him what she wanted to know, but she didn't take it. He wished she had more courage, but understood that she didn't want to offend him, and was grateful for that. After another long, awkward break of silence, he decided to take it upon himself.



“It happened when I was fourteen,” he said softly, referencing the burn scar on the left side of his face.



Katara let out a surprised gasp as he spoke to her. She was silent and waited for him to continue.



“I lost a fire duel. I didn't even want to fight, but there was nothing I could do. The battle was one-sided, and my opponent wouldn't stop. In the end I lost a fierce battle, and walked away with this scar to carry for the rest of my life.”



Katara was stunned by what she had just heard, and felt overwhelmed with pity for him knowing that he had been hurt. With her voice shaking she softly inquired, “Who was your opponent?”



Zuko was very quiet for a moment, making Katara feel very nervous. She immediately wished she hadn't asked.



“It was my father,” he suddenly replied plainly.



“What?!”



“My father gave this to me. He was my opponent in the duel.”



Katara could hardly believe what she was hearing. Zuko's own father had fought with him and burned him! How could anyone do such a thing to their own son?! She felt so bad for him. She looked at him sadly, not knowing what to do as he turned away so as not to look at her. He just kept staring at the ground, attempting to conceal his feelings as he was unable to fight back the few tears.



She didn't know what to do. All she knew is that she desperately wanted to comfort him and ease his pain. Hesitantly, she slowly reached out her hand to caress his face, purposely touching the side with the scar.



Zuko held his breath. He felt immediately paralyzed by her touch. He couldn't believe she was being so kind and brave. She actually touched the face that so many regarded with disgust.



After Zuko didn't pull away from her touch, Katara felt that her efforts to help him feel better were working. She shyly leaned in to him and placed a sweet, gentle kiss on his cheek. Her hand moved to his shoulder, but never once left him.



Zuko turned to her, his face white with a stunned expression. Her face was just as pale from nerves. Their eyes met and there was silence for a few moments. Then, as if snapping back to her senses, she blinked and pulled her hand away. She couldn't believe she had dared do that.



“I…I'm s-so sorry” she said, with her voice shaking. She got up to leave, still so stunned by her own bold actions. She was about to run off when she felt a clasp on her risk. She turned to face the prince. He had grabbed her wrist to keep her from leaving. She nervously met his eyes, preparing herself for the flood of insults she was sure she'd get for touching him.



However, when she met his gaze she saw a soft affection in those beautiful golden eyes. His look was gentle, and he showed no signs of preparing insults. He swallowed hard and relaxed his grip on her wrist so as not to hurt her.



“I… I don't want you to go,” he said softly.



She took in a soft, shallow breath, slowly relaxing, and smiled gently at him. “Then I won't.”







~TO BE CONTINUED…..


Comments

Comments (6)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Anne14 on October 20, 2006, 3:51:19 PM

Anne14 on
Anne14O______O AWESOME! PLEASE tell me when the next chappy is out! X3

Anonymous User on May 30, 2006, 1:37:51 PM

Anonymous User on
Comment Deleted

SxK_YGOfan on September 7, 2006, 4:07:40 AM

SxK_YGOfan on
SxK_YGOfanput up new chapters to my Zutara story, if you're interested!  = 3

SetoAngel01 on May 12, 2006, 2:40:04 AM

SetoAngel01 on
SetoAngel01O______O AWESOME! PLEASE tell me when the next chappy is out! X3

SxK_YGOfan on September 7, 2006, 4:06:34 AM

SxK_YGOfan on
SxK_YGOfanJust put up 2 new chapters to me story here!  Hope you're doing ok and that you get a chance to read them!  = 3