Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Good Night's Sleep

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 8 - Good Night's Sleep

Chapter 8 - Good Night's Sleep
Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )


THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 8-- Good Nights Sleep

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)


The sun had begun to set and there was a gentle breeze blowing throughout the ship. Katara walked out onto the deck to admire the view. She loved watching sunsets back at home, but with all the recent traveling she had been doing, she realized that it had been far too long since she had done so. Momentarily lost in the beauty of the sunset, she suddenly realized she wasnt alone. She looked over to see Zuko sleeping in a slightly reclined chair with a blanket over his legs and a book on his lap. She blushed suddenly, she couldnt help it. She hadnt realized that he had gone up to the deck to allow her to nap in his room. She was grateful for that consideration.

She quietly walked up to him. She noticed him shivering in the breeze. She carefully removed the book from his lap and pulled the blanket up to cover his shoulders to keep him warmer. She stepped back quickly, hoping he didnt wake. She watched him sleep for a few moments, in which he didnt stir, and then headed back inside.


Almost an hour later, Katara was in the kitchen preparing something to eat. She hadnt eaten since her late breakfast earlier. She was so busy cooking that she didnt notice Zuko enter the kitchen from the door behind her. The prince stood silently watching her for a moment, and then finally spoke.

Hey.

Oh, Zuko! Katara turned and looked at him surprised. You startled me!

Sorry, he replied plainly, what are you doing?

Just making some dinner, she answered, I can make you something too.

You dont have to do that, he told her.

Its no trouble, she answered, I have plenty here.

Thanks, he nodded.

Where are Iroh and the others?

They went back into town for another trip, he replied, Hopefully this time they will make it back before the storm hits, otherwise theyll be back in the morning.

Oh, alright, she nodded.

Katara went back to cooking, as Zuko sat at the table and watched her. Eventually, she began to hum and even sing softly while she was cooking. Zuko looked up at her, surprised by the sudden sound of her singing. She didnt notice him looking at her and when she made no reference to it he realized it was most likely purely out of habit. Still, he made no effort to stop her. He even found himself enjoying the sound of her lovely voice, though he didnt know the song she was singing. He sat listening in silent appreciation as she finished cooking the food.

Here we go, she said as she placed a plate in front of, careful, its a bit hot.

Thank you, he smiled at her. She blushed fiercely and nodded, casting her nervous eyes down to her own plate. He smiled at her shy attempt to avoid looking at him; he had to admit, she really was cute.

Is it okay? Katara shyly questioned after the prince had eaten a bit.

Zuko looked up at her and smiled at her. Its great, he answered.

Katara again couldnt help her blush. Thanks.

He nodded, and the two of them finished their meals in silence, yet still comfortable in each others presence.


Later, the two of them entered the room they had been sharing. Katara yawned as Zuko opened the door up for her. She walked into the room and stretched and yawned again.

Zuko chuckled, Tired?!

A bit! she laughed.

Thunder rumbled above them, making them realize that the storm had started. It seemed they would have another night on the ship to themselves, just the two of them. They smiled at each other in an awkward silence.

Go ahead, Zuko told her, you can take the bed. Get some rest.

No, thats okay, she shook her head, I was napping there earlier. You take it.

He smiled and nodded, Thanks.

She nodded, and walked toward a chair. Zuko watched her as she adjusted herself on the chair, trying to make herself more comfortable; unfortunately it was no avail. He stood silent for a moment, and then finally spoke.

Katara, would you like to sleep with me?

Huh? she looked at him with surprise.

You can sleep with me, if you want to, he replied, We can share the bed, and then we could both be comfortable.

Oh...well, if youre okay with that, she answered hesitantly.

He nodded and climbed into the bed sliding to far side so that there would be room for her to join him. She stood up slowly, still very unsure. However, a reassuring smile from Zuko eased her mind. She lay down on her right side, lying beside him, and he covered both of their bodies with the blanket. He used his bending ability to lower the intensity of fire on the torches significantly, creating and warm low light. He then lay down, curving his body against her back. He draped his arm over her as he got into a relaxed position.

Are you comfortable? he asked softly.

Yes, she quietly replied.

Good.

She nodded, and took a few deep breaths, relaxing more and more, all the while becoming more comfortable. She found herself cuddling up in his embrace. He smiled, feeling happy to be holding her in his arms. He pulled her closer to him, reaching his arm over hers and entangling their fingers in an unspoken comfort.

Good night...Katara, he whispered.

Good night...Zuko.



~ TO BE CONTINUED....

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

LadyxArizumii on August 24, 2007, 4:58:51 AM

LadyxArizumii on
LadyxArizumiiawww they are spooning!!
how sweet!

Anne14 on October 20, 2006, 4:29:38 PM

Anne14 on
Anne14that was so romantice