Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Comfort

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 9 - Comfort

Chapter 9 - Comfort
Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )


THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 9-- Comfort

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)


The thunder rumbled loudly outside, and lightning flashed, illuminating the dark room. The rage of the storm was severe, and Katara was unable to rest. She shivered in dark, nervous but careful not to move; she didnt want to disturb the young man sleeping peacefully beside her. Zukos breathing was soft and low and she tried listening to it to calm herself. Unfortunately it didnt work. The loudest crash yet sounded throughout the ship, followed by a huge lightning strike. Kataras whole body shook violently with fear, and she whimpered as she tensed her shoulders and shut her eyes tight. Her reaction was enough to awaken Zuko.

What is it?! Zuko asked in surprise. Katara, are you alright he gently touched her shoulder.

Ye...Yeah, she answered with an audible tremble in her voice.

Zuko was silent for a moment, during which another roar of thunder and a blaze of lightning occurred. He noticed her tremble and tense up yet again. Unsure of how he should handle her fear, the prince began to gently rub her shoulder to try to ease her tension. Katara sniffed and tried to hide her tears from him.

I hate thunderstorms, she said softly, her voice still shaking, as she shielded her face from another lightning flash.

Zuko gave her a gentle tug on her shoulder to turn her from her side onto her back, so that she wasnt facing the window. He moved his hand to her face and tenderly wiped away her tears.

Its alright, he said softly, youre safe here. Itll be fine. Im right here; nothing bad is going to happen to you.

She managed a smile and looked in the princes eyes, which were filled with an often unseen kindness and concern. She nodded and rolled onto her other side, facing away from the window, and cuddled up next to him. He put his arm around her and lay back. He held her close to comfort her as she shivered with another thunder strike. She looked up at him and smiled again.

Thanks.

Zuko nodded and closed his eyes. Katara cuddled close to his side and rested her head on his chest. Suddenly, she giggled softly.

What? Zuko chuckled and questioned her.

Its just... I can hear your heart, she replied cutely, with a sweet smile.

He smiled lightly back at her and reached for her right hand. He pulled it gently across his chest and placed it above where his heart beat softly.

I can feel it too, Katara said sweetly.

Zuko nodded with a smile and took a deep breath. He closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. Katara sighed contently and closed her eyes as well. She felt much more calm and relaxed, and so secure knowing he was right there beside her. She smiled happily and slowly drifted off to sleep in his warm embrace.


General Iroh, where do you want these? Ryuu asked as he hauled in their supplies.

Just in the storage closet is fine, the general answered.

Ryuu dragged their stuff down the hall as Iroh stopped on the deck, admiring the sunrise. Sure is beautiful, he said to himself. He took one last look at the colorful early-morning sky and smiled before he headed back inside the ship. He walked down the hall towards his nephews room to see if he was asleep. He opened the door a crack and peered inside. He noticed Zuko sleeping peacefully with Katara at his side. He smiled when he saw them in together, so peaceful and content. He closed he door to let them sleep, and then headed to the kitchen to get some breakfast.


Sun shone brightly in the window and the rays warmed Zukos face as he slowly opened his eyes. He sat up just slightly and looked around the room, taking in his surroundings. He noticed the sunlight and figured that it was probably late morning or early afternoon. His stomach rumbled, hungry for some breakfast, but he didnt move. After all, he didnt want to disturb Katara, who was still sleeping peacefully beside him. The prince laid back to relax, continuing to let the girl sleep in his arms. He knew that he didnt want to wake her.

Zuko thought about all that had happened in the past few days since he found Katara and brought her onto his ship. He had been feeling strangely recently and wasnt sure what it was. He didnt even know why. All he knew was that he was starting to actually enjoy spending time with the waterbender. He even felt happy in her presence, content when he was with her, and when he wasnt with her he was thinking about her. He wondered what more would happen in the days to come, and how much longer theyd be together. After all, he did promise to help her find her brother and the Avatar again, so how much longer would this last?

Katara suddenly stirred in his embrace, and he released his hold on her a bit. He sat up and looked down at her as she slowly opened her eyes. She looked up at him blinking, her eyes adjusting to the light, and smiled when she recognized him looking at her.

Good morning, she said sweetly.

Good morning, he softly replied.

Katara sat up slowly and looked at him. She heard his stomach rumble again, and giggled. He chuckled along with her and got out of bed. He stood and reached out his hand to her.

Breakfast? he invited.

She nodded with a smile and took his hand as he led her to the kitchen.



~TO BE CONTINUED....

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment