Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Arrival

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 10 - Arrival

Chapter 10 - Arrival
Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )


THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 10-- Arrival

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)


~ (After Breakfast...)

A few hours later, Katara was sitting on the deck reading, slightly reclined in her chair. She was so absorbed in her book that she didnt notice General Iroh arrive. He came up behind her slowly, so as not to frighten her. He cleared his throat to get her attention.

Oh! Katara whirled around to face the general, Hello sir! I didnt see you come up here!

Thats quite alright, my dear, Iroh replied, how are you doing?

Im fine, she answered, Did you get all of the supplies you needed?

Yes, we loaded them in the storage closet when we got back to the ship this morning. I assume you were asleep; hope we didnt wake you when we arrived.

Oh, no! she blushed slightly, wondering if he suspected that she had been with Zuko. Neither she nor the fire prince had any idea that the general had seen them together!

I am glad to know that, General Iroh replied.

Katara nodded then she thought shed ask him what had been on her mind, Where are we heading now?

Iroh smiled, Were heading due west right now. If my calculations are correct, we should soon reach the shores of nearby island village. An old friend of mine lives there, and I said that I would visit if I was ever in the neighborhood. Hope you dont mind making the stop.

Katara shook her head, Not at all.

The general smiled and nodded, Well, I will see you later. Should only be a little over an hour or so before we reach the island.

He waved, walking back into the ship. Katara smiled and waved back, watching him go. After he left she got up out of the chair, setting her book down, and walked to the edge of the deck to look over the railing, looking out over the water. She sighed and couldnt help but smile as she watched the waves dance along side the boat. She admired the clear blue sky as it was, almost completely free of clouds. The sun was beginning to get lower in the sky, nearing the dinner hour; soon they would arrive at a new village, just another stop along the way in her getting back to her brother and Aang.

Sokka, Aang, I miss you guys so much, she said softly, I hope we find you really soon. She went back to her chair, picked up her book, and took one last look at the ocean and sky before heading back inside the ship.


About two hours later, Katara walked to Zukos room and knocked gently on the door. When there was no response she carefully opened the door a crack, careful to be quiet in case he was resting or meditating. The room was lit and she slowly walked in; she saw him sitting by the window gazing intently at the sky.

Hey, he said plainly when she entered, as he turned to face her. Though he had seemed lost in thought, focusing out the window, he was incredibly aware of his surroundings.

Oh... hi, she said shyly.

Whats up? Zuko asked, looking at her questioningly, wondering why she seemed so nervous.

Nothing, Katara looked at the prince, momentarily meeting his eyes. I was just coming to rest in here for awhile, unless of course, youd like to be alone?

Zuko said nothing; he just continued to look at her calmly. He felt that he couldnt take his eyes away from her; after all, she was a very beautiful and intriguing creature.

I mean, I can go somewhere else, if you want. Katara still felt so unsure. She wanted to be with him, but she also didnt want to bother him.

No, youre fine, the prince replied, have a seat.

Thanks, she nodded and smiled shyly, as she sat down on the bed across from him. Some time passed, with the two teens sharing a shy but relatively comfortable silence. Eventually, Katara noticed Zuko glance back out the window. Nice evening, huh? she inquired.

He nodded, but didnt look at her. Katara nervously wondered if maybe she had disturbed him. Suddenly he stood up and walked to the door. She was afraid that he was leaving, but then he turned back to her.

Come on, he said, putting his hand out to her. When she didnt take it, he decided hed resolve her confusion. Weve arrived at the fire nation village.

Oh! she jumped up in surprise and took his hand as he led her up to the deck.

When they got there General Iroh and his servant Ryuu were already there, preparing to get off the ship. As soon as they were in sight, Zuko quickly released her hand. He quickly walked over to them, leaving her to follow him.

Were here! the general had a big smile on his face, obviously happy to be returning to the village.

Are we staying overnight, uncle? Zuko asked.

It wouldnt pay to travel through the night, Iroh replied, My dear friend Mandesa has offered us her cabin for the night.

Alright, the prince sighed. It was clear he would have preferred to limit the time they stopped and continue the journey. However, Zuko did feel a bit happy knowing that the delay would allow Katara to be with them longer. He wasnt exactly eager to see her return to her brother and the Avatar; he really was starting to enjoy her being around.

The general nodded and walked off the ship, as Ryuu, Zuko, and Katara all followed him.

Once on the shore, Katara looked around at the island as she followed the others away from the port and into the village. She felt a bit unsure, knowing that she was far from home, in a fire nation village she knew nothing about. Yet, at the same time, she felt excited to be there. The island was beautiful and Iroh made the village sound very nice. She knew that if she had to be away from her brother and Aang, she was glad to be with the group instead of alone. She also couldnt help but feel eager to spend more time with Zuko. She was starting to enjoy spending time with him, getting to know him better. It seemed that the fire nation prince really wasnt so bad after all!



~TO BE CONTINUED....

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment