Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - An Old Friend

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 11 - An Old Friend

Chapter 11 - An Old Friend
Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )


THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 11-- An Old Friend

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)


As they group reached the entrance to the village, Katara looked around. It was a very cute, clean little village, with bright festive decorations hanging from all of the buildings. She had never seen such beautiful decorations. They made the whole village come alive with bright colors in the darkening evening as the sun was slowly sinking into the western horizon.

Iroh!

Katara spun around to face the voice that had called out excitedly from behind her. General Iroh and the others turned around as well. They all faced a short, stocky middle-aged woman who had a big smile on her face. She was followed by a few servants, prepared to assist her. She ran towards them and gave Iroh a huge hug.

I have missed you so much! the woman said happily. She released him from her embrace after what seemed like forever; clearly she really had missed him!

Ive missed you too, Mandesa, the general smiled down at her and nodded. Its been far too long.

Ill say, she replied, What, has it been, four years? Why on earth did it take you so long to get in the neighborhood?

Sorry Mandy, Iroh apologized, but since I left the fire nation kingdom a while ago, I have been traveling with my nephew Zuko.

The prince came forward when his uncle referenced him with a gesture. He bowed respectfully to her and then stood facing her. Mandesa looked up at him and another large, toothy smile came to her face.

Prince Zuko, she looked at him admiringly, smiling all the while, Why, the last time I saw you, you were just a tiny little thing just starting to learn to walk! And now look at you, a grown man, so tall and handsome, prince of the fire nation!

And a very powerful bender, Iroh proudly added, as Zuko blushed slightly.

Wow! Mandesa nodded, impressed, Thats wonderful Zuko, dear. Good for you!

Thanks, he softly replied, obviously a bit embarrassed by the situation.

Katara smiled. Mandesa seemed like such a sweet energetic lady; even Zuko didnt correct her to stop her from her chatty ways. It was then that Mandesa noticed the young waterbender standing behind the general and the prince. She looked right at her and smiled.

Why, hello there dear, she walked toward Katara, reaching out to shake her hand, I didnt even see you there! Im sorry! Hope you didnt think I was rude!

Not at all, Katara smiled, shaking the womans hand.

Oh good, the lady smiled, My name is Mandesa. Iroh is a dear old friend of mine from our childhood, back in the fire nation main kingdom.

Im Katara, the waterbender replied.

Miss Katara is from the Southern Water Tribe, General Iroh informed.

Oh! Mandesa seemed surprised at first, but then she simply nodded and smiled at Katara again. Well, welcome to our fire nation village my dear. As our guest, let us know if there is anything you need.

Katara nodded, and smiled gratefully. Thank you, I hope its not a problem that Im here.

Not at all, and youre very welcome, dear, the woman nodded, smiling. Not all firebenders are the same; we can think independently for ourselves! Any friend of Irohs and Prince Zukos is a friend of mine, and certainly very welcome here! She smiled and turned to address the others as well, Now, you all must be tired after your journey. Let me show you to the cabin.

That would be wonderful, Mandy, thank you, Iroh nodded and gestured to Ryuu, Will you please help them carry some our things?

Yes sir, Ryuu nodded and helped Mandesas servants carry their luggage up to the cabin.

Mandesa led the way and Iroh, Zuko, and Katara followed her up the hill to her cabin. The cabin was actually a pretty good size, with plenty of space to accommodate guests, and they all were able to get their own room for the night. Katara got her things situated in her room and then walked out into the hall. She found herself heading out onto the deck, admiring the view, as it over looked a beautiful pond surrounded by trees. She smiled as she could hear birds singing. She watched fish jump and dragonflies zoom across the surface of the water.

Beautiful, isnt it? General Iroh came up beside her to look out off of the deck. He smiled at her and she nodded, smiling back. I used to spend whole summers in this village, the general told her, the fishing is wonderful!

Katara nodded and smiled at him, and looked back out. It is very nice here.

Well Im glad you could be here then, Mandesa joined them, smiling, you couldnt have come at a better time!

What do you mean? Katara looked at her, confused.

Tonight is our annual Festival of Firelight, the woman answered, We celebrate with an all-night party, with a great feast to start!

Oh, wow! Katara nodded to her excitedly, That sounds wonderful!

Oh its very exciting, Mandy nodded, I am so glad youre here to join in the fun!

When will it start? Katara inquired.

Feast starts at sundown, and before then we will find you a beautiful dress to wear to the party!

Thank you, the girl blushed, somewhat stunned, I really appreciate that.

Your welcome dear, Mandesa replied, Now, come with me, and well get you ready. Iroh, she turned to the general, you and Zuko get ready too, and well see you in about an hour. Youll be the most handsome men there!

You flatter me Mandy, Iron smiled at her and nodded, Ill inform my nephew and well meet you in an hour to head to the feast together.

The woman nodded and led Katara back into the cabin. Katara waved good bye to the general and followed her inside.



~TO BE CONTINUED....

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment