Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - The Festival of Firelight

A sweet story of chance meeting between Zuko and Katara.

Chapter 12 - The Festival of Firelight

Chapter 12 - The Festival of Firelight
Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of the characters associated. This is a fan fiction! = )


THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM ~ Ch. 12-- The Festival of Firelight

By: Emily Beyer (a.k.a. SxK_YGOfan)


Uncle, do I have to go? Zuko sighed as he followed Iroh down the hill into the village. Couldnt I just stay in the cabin and meditate and train tonight?

Now Zuko, Mandy was kind enough to invite us to the celebration, the general shook his head, we can be gracious enough to accept. And, when I say we... I mean you!

Zuko frowned at his uncle and groaned, knowing that he wasnt going to get out going to party.

Really Zuko, Iroh looked at him and shook his head, You are a member of the fire nation after all, and this festival is part of our history and tradition.

Yeah, well, Im not really the socializing, party type, the prince sighed and rolled his eyes.

Well, were already here, and youre staying, so try to enjoy the evening and have a good time.

Whatever, Zuko just shrugged and followed his uncle to the tables where the feast would be served. Werent we supposed to go with Mandesa to the feast?

She is helping Katara get ready, Iroh answered, she said theyd meet us there.

Yeah, women always take so long to get ready to go out!

Oh, Zuko! the general just shook his head and sighed. He walked to the head table, which was atop a platform overlooking all the others, and they met up with Ryuu.

Hello sir! Ryuu bowed swiftly to Iroh and turned to Zuko, bowing to him as well, Good evening, your highness.

Yeah, sure, Zuko just ignored him and looked around, checking out the set up for the feast.

You both look very nice, Ryuu complimented, nervously as he noticed the prince avoid eye contact.

Why, thank you Ryuu! the general smiled proudly and nodded to him.

In truth, the fancy satin kimono-like robes that the two of them wore were very attractive and beautiful made. General Irohs was red with a black detailed bonsai tree on the back. The prince looked even more striking in his black one, with a red dragon stitched on the back and across his shoulders, incredibly detailed and decorative; a very impressive and fancy design. Ryuu and the other peasant villagers wore them too, though theirs were cotton or wool, and much simpler and more plain. The royal and wealthy stood out impressively, dressed so nicely for the festival celebration.

Ryuu nodded to Iroh, to further compliment him. Sir, are Madame Mandesa and Miss Katara coming?

Theyre on their way, the general replied, They are meeting us down here in a little while.

Oh, I see, Ryuu nodded to him, Well sir, I am going to help set the rest of the things up. I will see you later; enjoy the celebration.

Iroh nodded, Thank you Ryuu, you enjoy yourself as well.

Ryuu nodded and bowed to them both, Good bye, your highness, he addressed Zuko hesitantly.

Yeah, the prince gave a small casual wave and continued to look around, basically ignoring him.

As Ryuu and some of the others walked away to continue working and setting up, Iroh turned to look at his nephew. Is something bothering you Zuko?

Hmm?

You seem preoccupied, the general answered, Is there something on your mind?

Its nothing uncle, Zuko replied plainly, Im fine.

Well, alright, if you say so.

Iroh then decided to take a seat at the head table. He sat down and looked out at all of the other long tables down in front of the main table. Zuko just stood there watching him for a while as he relaxed in the chair and sat humming and mumbling to himself as he looked around. The prince wasnt really sure what to do at first, but just as he decided to sit down himself, a voice called out behind him.

Hey guys! Mandesa called out as she came up the steps and rushed towards them waving excitedly. Zuko stepped back quickly as Iroh stood up and hugged Mandesa when she got up onto the platform with the head table where they were waiting. How are you two?

Were fine, the general smiled down at her when she released him from her embrace, How are you?

Im good!

Iroh nodded, You look lovely. He smiled at her admiring her decorative purple kimono, which was marked with pretty golden and green bird designs.

Awww thanks Iroh, the woman smiled sweetly at him, so do you. Really, you both look so handsome... you too Zuko!

Thanks, the prince mumbled and blushed slightly, casting his eyes down to the ground to avoid eye contact.

Mandesa smiled and nodded to him, Well, I hope you really enjoy the celebration tonight. This center, main seat is for you.

Huh? Zuko looked up at her, confused, You want me to sit in the main seat?!

The lady nodded, Of course, you are the prince after all. Its not often that a member of our royal family pays us a visit!

Zuko just blushed again and swallowed nervously, Okay, then.

She smiled and nodded, Your uncle and I will sit to your left, and you can place your lady to your right!

My lady?!

Where is Miss Katara? General Iroh quickly jumped in before Zuko could say anything else.

Im right here, said a soft, delicate voice from behind.

The three of the turned around and faced Katara as she walked up the stairs of the platform to meet them. Iroh and Mandesa ran to meet her and say Hello, but Zuko just stood there. For the first time in his life, the prince found himself completely speechless. He looked at the waterbender as she talked with the elderly woman and the general. Her hair was pulled up with a flower comb and she wore the most beautiful sky blue kimono, with decorative flower designs. Her make up was perfectly applied and her beautiful smile lit up her face and she conversed with the two adults. He just couldnt take his eyes off of her; she was the most beautiful woman hed ever seen. As she came up to the table and walked towards him he felt as though he couldnt breathe; he still couldnt move from his spot. All he could think about was how happy and honored he felt to be in the presence of one so lovely.



~ TO BE CONTINUED....

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Animefreek94 on February 1, 2009, 11:05:14 AM

Animefreek94 on
Animefreek94TT i wish there was another chapter....*sighs*

tkfblack276 on November 18, 2007, 8:16:34 AM

tkfblack276 on
tkfblack276Plez add another chapter soon!

calisatica on November 19, 2006, 7:00:54 AM

calisatica on
calisaticawow you are a good writer make another chapter