Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Second Chances are Rare

Anyway, here''s a story that''s based on my Bleach Forum. It starts out with Yuri, Who is Captain of Squad Three, watching her mentor being buried next to his wife. It was just his sister, Shukumei, and his daughter, Shizune left.

Chapter 4 - Second Chances are Rare

Chapter 4 - Second Chances are Rare
“How is she, Captain Unohana? Will she be alright?”

“She should recover, but it’s going to take some time. She took quite a beating and received a nasty blow to the head. Also, some other trauma has taken place. As to what, I don’t know yet.”

“Trauma?”

“Yes. An event that has happened that causes one to be in shock. I will have to ask the others who had found her.”

“If you find out anything, please let me know so I can pass it to her friends.”

Unohana gave a nod to Yuri’s lieutenant, the two splitting ways. Right now, he had to keep the squad together. They have no idea if Yuri was going to pull out of it or not. Well, that was stupid to think. Of course she’s going to make it. She’s just as strong as any other captain. A few days had passed and no changes in Yuri. She was just lying in bed. By this time, one of the Shinigami that had brought her in stopped by for a visit as if to pay his respects.

“Were you one of the Shinigami who found Captain Yuri?”

“Yes, ma’am. I and several others found her near a dead human. She was holding his hand although she was unconscious. Captain Yuri looked really bad.”

“A human boy, you say? That explains everything. Poor thing. She must have seen him die and is having a hard time accepting it.”

“We didn’t see his soul nearby either nor was it reported by the other squads either.”

So not only did she witnessed the death of her loved one, but had to send him off as well? What a burden for anyone to carry. Maybe that’s what was keeping her in her coma-like state. She just couldn’t accept that by her hands that she erased all the memories that they shared. Regardless, she was alive, and that was a start.

“I see. Well, thank you for the news.”

Unohana had turned to look to Yuri who looked troubled as she laid there sleeping. Was she reliving the events over and over in her mind? If something wasn’t done quickly, she may never be able to wake up. After the news was relayed to Shukumei, she came over to the fourth squad headquarters to visit Yuri.

“Do you know what happened exactly?”

“One of the Shinigami that found her said that she looked like she beaten rather badly. When they found her, she was holding the hand of a dead human while unconscious.”

It didn’t take Shukumei long enough to figure out who the human was. Even if her and Ronin had gotten on bad terms, she still didn’t wish for him to die.

“What about his plus?”

“It was assumed that Yuri had to send him to Soul society. It seemed like she was the only one near him that was able to.”

“Will she be alright?”

“Physically, it should take a few days for the injuries to heal. It’s her mentality that I’m worried about.”

“Yuri is a strong captain. She’ll pull out of it.”

That’s what they both wanted to believe. They wanted to believe that she would wake up any moment now and resume being her usual self. For now they could only wait. A couple of days later, Yuri was starting to come to. Her eyes slowly opened, checking her surroundings. They seemed blurred out as it was taking her eyes time to adjust to the light. When they did, her eyes were fully opened. She noticed that she was in bed. Luckily, Unohana was nearby and saw the captain awaken from her long slumber.

“It’s good to see you awake, Captain Yuri.”

Yuri glanced up to Unohana who had her usual, caring smile. Yuri just game a light nod, looking up to the ceiling. How could she still be alive? After that blow to the head, she thought for sure she was done for. Perhaps having her mask on dulled the pain. For whatever reason, she was here. The news of her being awake spread like wildfire. Her squad members had come to visit and at the end of the day, so did Shukumei and little Shizune. Shizune ran over to the bed, climbing up onto it and sits next to Yuri.

“Don’t do that again! We were worried!”

Yuri lifted up one hand and placed it gently on top of the little one’s head. For someone so tiny, she had such a big heart. Was it really worth it to put her through Shinigami training? It was just more than keeping her safe by having her in the Academy. She was the daughter of Azumi and Ryouji after all. That talent couldn't just be wasted. Was it worth it to subject her to the pain of possibly losing someone she cares about? How she wanted to just stop everything and just run away with the two of them into the real world and not have to worry about what was going on. That thought quickly ended. How could she be so selfish? She had to stay and protect her home and friends.

“This…This is the harsh reality, Shizune. This is what being a Shinigami means. You risk your life to protect everything you care about. You’re going to get hurt a lot. It’s not a task for someone with a weak heart. Do...Do you still wish to become one?”

Seeing the determination in her eyes made Yuri smile a little. Would she understand the dangers?

“Right now, I don’t understand a lot of things. There is one thing I do get now! Shinigami protect each other! They protect family! You’re family, Miss Lady Yuri!”

Then, Shizune hugged onto Yuri with all her might. Yuri’s expression softened as she hugged back with one arm.

That’s right. I can’t give up. I have these two people that mean the world to me that I must keep safe.

Sitting up from hearing the door slide open, the captain looks over to the door and her complexion just turned pale. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing before her eyes. It was the very man she had to send to soul society. How? How did he find his way here? The answer became clear with her Lieutenant stepped in.

“I found him wandering around in Rukongai, so I figured I would bring him here. After all, his reiatsu is untamed. He’s going to need how to control it.”

Ronin had stepped over to the bed, staring down at the strange woman. He knows he has never seen her before, but to him, it felt right that he had to see her. After all, everyone was making a big fuss that she was awake.

“A lot of people were talking about you. They made it seem like someone waking up was some spectacular thing. I guess…I should say it’s good to see you awake…If I knew who you were, that is.”

Yuri could only smile and chuckle. Of course he doesn’t know her. It was because of her that he didn’t. Not much that they could do about it anyway. In a way, it was funny. Perhaps…Ironic? The first time they met was in Fourth Squad headquarters and now they’re meeting again in the same place.

“Well…It’s Yuri Nakayama. Captain Yuri Nakayama. You are?”

“Name’s Ronin.”

Seeing the two starting to bond, Shukumei and Shizune soon left the two alone so they could talk. Ronin had taken a seat next to the bed as he and Yuri began to have a conversation. To be honest, she felt quite uncomfortable around him. All it did was made her think back on how she had failed him and was the cause of his death. How would he feel if he were to ever find out?

“Are you even listening to me?”

“Y…Yes. I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be disrespectful.”

He seemed irritated at her apology and just carefully got her into a headlock, digging his knuckles into her head. He didn’t understand why he was doing what he was. It just felt natural to do it.

“Don’t apologize over something so stupid! You’re probably just still worn out.”

“I…suppose I am. Are you really going to go to the Academy?”

“I was told it was a good idea if I wanted to control my…reiatsu or whatever they called it.”

“You’ll be fine. I...have no doubts.”

“Yeah well, I’ll deal with it later. You just get better.”

He stood up, looking to her with what seemed to be a faint smile on his face. She smiled and waved as he left. Yuri then rested back on the bed, closing her eyes. She just couldn’t believe it. Was she being given a second chance? Another chance to make up for the mistake she had made? She wasn’t going to let it just slip through her fingers. Second chances were very rare indeed.


Author's note: Aww, ain't love grand? I know there are a lot of missing pieces, but currently, I'm working on a prequel to this that goes more into Yuri's background. Speaking of which, I should put her siggy on my profile for you guys to get a visual of what she looks like or I could describe her in a few words. Slender. Red eyes. Long blue hair that goes to her knees. Colorful character, isn't she?

I found out that I've been spelling Zanpakuto wrong the entire time ;_;. I suppose for now I'll leave it be and change it when the whole story is up.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment