Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - 1

Elly and Tracey, and how they met, etc. This is great - I'll just be adding chapters as I redo them.

Chapter 1 - 1

Chapter 1 - 1
It was raining in Pallet Town, Kanto. Pools of muddy water ran everywhere about the dirt roads, splashing furiously when the rain came down in bursts. One large facility that was set apart from the others seemed the hardest hit. What looked almost akin to a moat was flowing past the door of the building, sloshing grime and small rooted-up weeds at the faceplate that read:

"Professor Samuel Oak: Pokemon Laboratory #001"

All the lucky pokemon were holed up in the forest nearby or in nice, warm homes as revered pets. But here in the Professor''''s yard a small pair of lavender eyes glowed faintly from a badly dented, overturned pail that had been blown there by the wind.


-----------------------------------------


"It''''s been raining for a week now, Professor."

"I know, Tracey."

"Is it ever going to stop?"

A sigh and a soft rustling sound was the only answer. Everything was dark within the room, but the glow of a half moon from between storm-drenched clouds made it just bright enough to see a large shape moving about. A smaller figure was slumped disconsolately at the window.

"And...there. I knew I''''d find it eventually." There was a bright flash of light and suddenly the room was lit up as if from a large candle. Lights flickered on the wall, showing an older man with greying hair dressed in a lab coat and khaki pants. He was smiling and holding an open pokeball.

<i>"Char!</i>" The tiny charmander he had released was smiling broadly, glad at the chance to show off. The flame on the end of its tail was just enough to see a few feet in each direction.

"Now, charmander. Let''''s go find some candles!" Oak walked over to the smaller form by the window. As they approached, the flame lit up the tanned features of a teenager kneeling with his arms crossed on the windowpane. His chin was resting on the sill and he was staring out at the wind-swept meadow as objects blew about in the gale.

"Professor...it looks like someone''''s <i>out</i> there." He turned dark, sincere eyes on the older man, who looked surprised at first.

"I don''''t think - ahhhh, you mean a pokemon." Oak rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Where, Tracey?" He leaned closer to peer outside as well. Tracey flicked a black strand of hair absently away from his face and pointed.

"There," he murmured, "over by the clump of bushes." He frowned.

"I think that''''s just a pail."

"<i>Charmander</i>?" The tiny fire lizard hopped up onto Tracey''''s shoulder. The boy staggered and almost fell over.

"Hey, you''''re too big for that!" He yelped. One of the creature''''s little paws grabbed the red headband Tracey wore and dragged it down over one eye. Luckily, by pinwheeling his arms he managed to stay upright. The charmander didn''''t seem to notice. He was chattering excitedly and pointing outside.

"Charmander seems to believe you," Oak said.

"Yeah," Tracey agreed. He fixed his headband and stared more intently. "I can see what looks like a pair of eyes and a very small shape. Maybe it''''s a flying pokemon that got dragged down in the wind."

"Maybe..."

"I have to go help it." Tracey leaped up, dislodging the charmander, which uttered an unhappy squawk. "Sorry."

"<i>Char-char.</i>" It stuck its tongue out at him and pulled down an eyelid.

"Cut it out." Tracey dug in his shorts pocket for a pokeball and found one. He ran a finger over the symbol on the front and then smiled. "Here we go. <i>Marill!</i>" He started out for the main door as he tossed the ball, and very soon a small blue mouse was sitting by his feet.

"<i>Marill!</i>" The rotund little creature burbled happily. Its tail bobbed back and forth, as if it were wagging. Tracey picked it up and smiled at it.

"Marill, it''''s raining hard outside, but we''''ve got to get to that bush over there." He held it up and showed it where he meant. Marill nodded. "Get it? It''''s gonna be hard for me to stand upright. I''''m counting on you to swim out there and get me whatever it is!" Marill closed its eyes and grinned at its owner.

"If anyone can do it, Marill can," Professor Oak said encouragingly. "Tracey, your marill - " and here he paused as the boy released the pokemon and opened the door, " -- it''''s one of the strongest I''''ve seen. Those tests we''''ve been doing on it can be augmented by this ''''rescue''''."

"Really?" Tracey turned about to watch as his pokemon splashed in the muddy water and swam out into the yard. The water mouse grabbed at something, caught it and began swimming back. Tracey cheered as he got closer.

"<i>Rill-rill-rill-rill...</i>" Marill was puffing hard as it neared the Lab. When it got to the door both men blinked. It had dragged the small pail back to its master.

"Wh- what? That was it?"

"<i>Marill!</i>" Sighing in exasperation, it turned over the pail. A wet, furry lump fell at Tracey''''s feet.

"<i>Vee,</i>" it coughed.

"It''''s an eevee," Tracey gasped, shocked.

"<i>Veeeee</i>," the little pokemon cried. It was soaked completely through and as far as Tracey could see, was wild - it had no tags or collars on. Such a pokemon was a little harder to find and made a great discovery. Oak patted his helper on the back.

"Good call, Tracey! And good job, Marill." Marill beamed. Tracey picked up the whimpering, sodden lump in his arms, not caring that the pokemon soaked the front of his green shirt. The Professor motioned them further inside. "Close the door and let''''s help the poor creature."

"Poor eevee," Tracey said sadly. The tiny pokemon was shivering and sniffling pathetically. Cradling it gently to his warm chest, he brought it inside as the door slammed shut behind them. Another gust of wind hit the Lab and the rain started to fall again, heavier than before.


-----------------------------------------


They brought their rescue to the inner part of the lab. A woman in a lab coat was bustling about and talking quietly to herself as they entered with marill and the charmander. Tracey still held the eevee in his arms.

"Ah ...hah!" She triumphantly pulled a lever and all the lights flickered back on.

"Way to go, Koji!" Tracey grinned. The lady turned around. She was a bit younger than the other Professor. Her long brown hair was tied back in a simple ponytail and she wore a pair of stud earrings that matched her bright amber eyes.

"Way to go Zeus, you mean." She pointed at the table behind her, where a large lime colored pikachu with a bit of zigzag fur on top of its head sat. It was zapping at the emergency generator.

"<i>Veeeeeee</i>." The eevee perked up and seemed impressed by the show of electricity. Zeus waved a curious paw at the new arrival.

"<i>Pi!</i>" He called out. All the humans stared silently, amazed. Zeus had come to them from an abusive owner and he hadn''''t opened up to anyone, even other pokemon. Koji could only get him to do various tasks by letting on that he could show off his skills to impress the others.

"That was amazing!" Tracey grinned, enthused. He laughed boyishly and Zeus snarled to himself. "Sorry, Zeus."

"<i>Chaaaa.</i>" The electric mouse glowered at him.

"Apparently he''''s not come <i>all</i> the way around yet," Professor Oak murmured. He smiled and tapped his young helper on the shoulder. "Let''''s dry her off, shall we?"

"Yeah! Uh...her?"

"Tsk. Now I know you''''re more observant than that." The Professor pointed at the eevee. "Hasn''''t she already been practicing her feminine wiles on you?"

"<i>Samuel,</i>" Koji groaned, rolling her eyes. Tracey was blushing furiously, not quite understanding what they were getting at but knowing just enough to be embarrassed. "I''''ll help, Tracey," Koji said to break up the moment. She walked over with an armload of towels, but the fox pokemon hissed and wouldn''''t let anyone near her but her rescuer.

"That''''s not so odd," Oak remarked. "She''''s probably scared. Let''''s leave them alone for now."

"We''''ll be all right."

"I''''m sure you will. You know what to do. I just opened up a new bag of food - it''''s in the top drawer near the grooming supplies."

"Okay." Tracey didn''''t even see them leave. He was too busy towelling off the bedraggled vulpine. Then eevee sighed and rolled over on her back. When he''''d rubbed the fur a bit more he noticed a small tattoo on her inner thigh.

"...L4J...#0023?"

"<i>VEE!</i>"

"Waugh!"

"<i>Myaaaaaa!</i>"

"It''''s okay! I''''m not gonna hurt you! I just wanted to see that. Do you belong to someo-" He was bowled over by a fuzzy tail slapping him in the face. Tracey blew his ruffled black hair away from his mouth and sighed. "You...didn''''t like that."

"<i>Vee.</i>" The little one sat with a frown on her features.

"Well, the way you''''re sitting tells me you''''re angry at me." She blinked at him with those odd lavender eyes. "Surprised I knew that, huh?"

"<i>Myahaaaa...</i>"

"So you''''re not owned by anyone."

Frown.

"Tagged for research, then...?"

Bigger frown...and some fangs started to show for good measure, too. Tracey thought quickly.

"You want to be free?" He grinned at the bewildered expression this question caused. Cautiously, he reached out a hand and stroked the eevee''''s long ears. She sniffed his long fingers and allowed herself to be petted.

"You''''d rather be someone''''s <i>friend</i>," Tracey said softly. "Well, if you want, you can be mine."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment