Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Sorrow and pain

I am off school for the summer and I needed a project to keep me busy. I may not be the best writer, but I try. The title of the story may change. I haven't decided yet. Critiszm is welcome, but be nice don't flame me to bad. ^_^

Chapter 2 - Sorrow and pain

Chapter 2 - Sorrow and pain
Conflicts and Aftermath

Chapter 2

        "We're a couple block out from the Station." The old, Otter cab driver said over his shoulder as he pulled the cab up to the curb. "This is as close as I can get you with the roads in the shape their in. Your lucky to get this close as this is the only way off this miserable rock."

        Fox scowled out the window and muttered under his breath, "Damn Aperoids!" Krystal cast a sideways look at him before turning to the cab driver.

        "Thank you. This will be fine. I'm sure you got us as close as you could." The old cab driver nodded his head and popped the trunk so they could get their luggage. Krystal stepped out of the cab then stuck her head back in when she realized Fox hadn't moved. "Are you coming or do you intend to pay this gentleman to sit here longer?"

        Fox looked up. "What, Oh, Sorry." Fox got out of the cab and began to unload the trunk.

        "Heh Hem!" The cab driver cleared his throat and held a paw out the window.

        Fox looked around trying to find the source of the sound. Seeing the Cab driver's paw "I'm sorry. How much do we owe you?"

        "That'll be thirty-six credits. No change given." Fox dug in his pocket and fished out forty credits and handed it to the driver.

        "Keep the change." Fox said absently. The driver looked at him for a moment and then shook his head and drove away. Fox hoisted the luggage onto his shoulders absently and continued to scowl out at the damaged scenery.

        "Hey, what's wrong Fox? You've been pre-occupied ever since left the apartment." Krystal asked a note of concern in her voice.

        Fox looked at her and said nothing for a few minuets. "It's nothing. I just still haven't gotten over how much damage was done during the attack. With the General out of commission they haven't been able to start reconstruction." Fox moodily kicked a chunk of concrete lying on the sidewalk. "This used to be a beautiful part of the city. It'll never be the same, even if they do re-build."

        "Fox. I now you hate what they did, but you can't change that now. You'll learn to get used to it." Krystal laid a hand on his shoulder. "Things change. I know how you feel. My home was destroyed too remember. Only mine is gone forever. Your's can be rebuilt. Change is difficult, but you'll learn to adapt."

        Fox's expression softened. "Sorry Krystal. I had forgotten about your lose. I know I'll get used to it. I just don't want to forget it as it was. This is my home and it pains me to see it this way." Fox shook his head. "I'll be ok though."

        "I know you will." Krystal said softly pulling him into a side, armed hug. "We need to get going though. We only have forty minuets till our transport leaves." She turned and started off down the street.

        Fox followed her sadly taking in the damaged surroundings as he went. Mangled and overturned cars clogged the streets making them impassible to vehicle traffic. Many of the building's windows were blown out and the interiors blackened from fires that had wreaked havoc and gutted them. Several of the older buildings of the district had collapsed under the stress. Fox walked behind Krystal barely conscious of where they were going. Krystal seemed to understand and remained silent as they made their way towards the half functioning Station.

        As they neared the Station Krystal stopped abruptly and Fox still oblivious ran into the back of her.

        "What are you stopping for?" Fox asked looking up at her, and readjusting his grip on their luggage. "We still got...." The words died on his lips as he saw over her shoulder the hundreds of makeshift tents and lean-tos that stretched over the square on which the station sat. Hundreds of people milled around looking lost and misplaced. Many people begged at the people that where making their way into the station; pleading for word on family members that had disappeared in the attack or trying to get money to afford transport off the planet.

        Fox's mouth hung open and his expression darkened as he shook his head but said nothing. Krystal stared at all the people. She could feel their desperation and sorrow. This had been what had caused her to stop. Her eyes stung with tears as she fought to control the emotions that were flooding into her mind threatening to overwhelm her. Taking a deep breath she calmed her mind and blocked it from their miserable feelings. She looked around at Fox who said nothing but merely nodded towards the station indicating he was ready. Krystal turned and taking another deep breath began to pick her way through the maze of tents towards the station entrance.

        As they made their way through the clogged path in between the numerous tents people began to paw at them crying and begging for help. It was all Krystal could do to keep walking forward. Fox followed behind her an expression of numbed pain in his eyes. As they reached the Station a Cornerian Husky guard stopped them at the door.

        "Do you have a ticket? No access to the Station without a ticket." The guard said roughly. Krystal unable to find her voice merely held the tickets up. The guards face softened a bit. "I see..." The husky sighed as he watched a silent tear slide down Krystal's face "Its horrible isn't it. So many people are still suffering, and all we can do to control it is keep them from what they want. Freedom to leave and forget." The guard shook his head speaking more to himself than anyone. After a moment he seemed to realize they were still standing in front of him. "I'm sorry you may pass. Your terminal is the third on the right." With this he stepped aside and allowed them to enter the crowded Station. As they entered the station Krystal turned and took a last glimpse out at the hundreds of miserable people. As she turned back towards the terminal she noticed Fox staring at her.

        "It hurt you to walk through there didn't it?" He asked a pang of sorrow in his voice. "You could feel their pain couldn't you?"

        Krystal nodded, another tear slipping down her cheek. "I could." She said simply. She turned her back to Fox before she continued not wanting him to she in her eyes the pain it had caused her. "Their pain is unimaginable,..unbearable. I...couldn't block it out it was so strong."

        Fox put a comforting hand on her shoulder. Krystal reached up an placed her hand over his. After a few moments she looked over her shoulder and smiled weakly at him."I ok..." She said a slight quiver still in her voice. Fox nodded a crooked smile on his face.

        "Kind of makes yak feel guilty about going on vacation doesn't it" He said a note of Irony in his voice. Krystal let out a watery laugh. Wiping the last of the tears from her eyes.

        "Fox your really are a moron you know that." She laughed pushed him good naturedly. She shook her head and started to walk away. "Come on, the guard said our terminal was this way."

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

painblack on February 13, 2008, 10:17:05 AM

painblack on
painblacki like it its bettr than what i cam white
id get bored on the frist parigraf =)

nextguardian on May 29, 2007, 10:41:28 AM

nextguardian on
nextguardianThis is a great chapter. I can see why you say it needs to be in there. Great job with the character development and description, I can actually picture this stuff!

Falconlobo on May 28, 2007, 12:53:54 PM

Falconlobo on
Falconloboaww that was sad nice job^^