Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Detainment with a Purpose

I am off school for the summer and I needed a project to keep me busy. I may not be the best writer, but I try. The title of the story may change. I haven't decided yet. Critiszm is welcome, but be nice don't flame me to bad. ^_^

Chapter 3 - Detainment with a Purpose

Chapter 3 - Detainment with a Purpose
        "This is ridiculous !" Grumbled Fox as he struggled through the crowded station; trying hard to keep their luggage on his shoulder. "How much further is this terminal. It feels like we've been walking for ages. Are you sure we didn't miss it?'
        
        "Quit being a baby!" chided Krystal as she ducked under someone's outstretched arm. "The terminal is right over there." Fox craned his neck to see where she was pointing..
        
        "Finally! I hate crowds." Fox said moodily. Krystal just shook her head in exasperation.
        
        "It looks like we have to register at the gate to get through." Noted Krystal as she stood on tip toes to see the terminal. "I hope they hurry. Otherwise we'll miss our transport." Krystal distinctly heard Fox mutter under his breath.
        
        "That would be fine with me. I don't want to get on one of those things anyway." Krystal suppressed a smile as they slowly pushed their way through towards the gate.
        
        As they reached the desk next to the terminal gate a lovely young Siamese Cat greeted them. "Good afternoon. Could I get your name and ticket number please?"
        
        Krystal smiled at the young feline and turned to Fox. "Fox I…." She stopped in mid sentence as Fox was staring at the young feline with his mouth slightly open. Krystal growled , annoyed and punched Fox hard in the arm.
        
        "Ouch! What was that for?!" fox mumbled as he looked away from the Cat.
        
        "Once you've put your eyes back in your head I need the tickets I handed to you back at the entrance!" snapped Krystal . Fox stared at her with a stunned quizzical look on his face as he handed the tickets over to her.

        "You really are hopeless Fox." Krystal sighed stifling a laugh at the look of innocent confusion on Fox's face. Krystal turned back to the Siamese and smiled pleasantly. "Here you go. They are under the name McCloud." The Siamese turned an amused look on her face as she began to punch keys on the council in front of her. After a few minutes she turned back to Krystal the smile gone and a serious look on her
        
        "Are you Fox and Krystal?" She asked seriously looking between the two.
        
        "Well…yes, yes we are. Is there something wrong?" Krystal asked a hint of nervousness and curiosity in her voice. "What does it matter if we are." The Siamese ignored this and asked in the same serious tone.
        
        "Is your destination the planet Despin?"
        
        "Yes, but what has that got to…" Krystal started but was cut off.
        
        "We have been instructed by the authorities to detain you here until further notice." The Siamese said in a crisp official voice cutting across Krystal's sputtered protests. Fox dropped the luggage and protested angrily.

        "What's going on? Why are you holding us. What grounds do you have?"

        The young feline stood her ground and replied coolly. "We have official orders to detain you. That is all you need to know. Now if you please the guards will escort you to where you are being detained." She turned and motioned to two burly Husky guards standing on either side of the gate.

        "THIS ISN'T RIGHT! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" Fox yelled back over his shoulder to the feline as the guards guided them out of the terminal line and back into the crowded hallway.

        Fox turned to Krystal and asked in a bewildered voice. "What the hell is going on here?" Krystal shook her head still in shock.

        "I have no idea." she muttered looking back at the people now moving through the line with no problems. "I don't understand.? Are we supposed to have done something wrong.?" Fox shrugged his shoulders and merely looked bewildered.

        Krystal and Fox trudged along between the guards. Still trying to figure out what was going on. Finally the guards stopped in front of two giant skillfully carved doors. One of the guards stepped forward and produced a key ring from inside his jacket pocket and after a few moments of fumbling, unlocked the door. Fox leaned over the guards shoulder in curiosity and out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a small gold plaque on the side of the door that read Gold Club Members Only. Fox shook his head and stared at the plaque again thinking he must have read it wrong. Standing up straight he turned to Krystal. "Where the hell are they taking us? This is the VIP lounge."
Krystal just stared at him and shook her head.

        "This doesn't make any sense." She mused, "Why detain us in the VIP lounge?"

        They followed the guards as he led them inside and down a richly carpeted hallway. The guard stopped at another door and turned to Fox and Krystal. "I think you be very comfortable during your detainment. Sorry for the inconvenience." Fox stuck his head in the door as the guard opened it and then pulled it out again.

        "Is this some type of joke?" he asked the guard confusion still registering on his face..
        
        "No joke sir. We were instructed to detain you here until further notice by the authorities. I trust every thing is in order. Help yourself to anything you find. It is all complimentary." And with that he turned and began to walk away followed by the other guard.

        Krystal looked curiously at Fox who hadn't moved and was still staring at the backs of the retreating guards. Fox closed his mouth and pointed over his shoulder. "Check that out." he said simply. Krystal cocked her head at him and stepped into the room.

        Inside was what looked like a dimly lit study. It had a huge fireplace, shelves of books, couches and armchairs and a bar over in the corner. Krystal turned and looked at Fox. "What's going on? I don't understand."

        "I believe that I can answer those questions for you." said a curt high classed voice from behind them. Fox and Krystal both started and spun around in the direction the voice had come from, surprise registering on their faces. They stared around the room searching for the source of the voice. As they looked a large executives chair set behind an ornately carved claw foot desk by the fire swiveled around to face them. In the half light of the fire they could make out the features of a rather shrewd looking panther sitting with his paws steepled in front of his face and one leg resting casually on his other knee. "We have been expecting you." he said curtly a flicker of amusement crossing his smooth features at Fox and Krystal's looks of surprise.
        
        "Who the hell are you?!" Fox snarled taking a defensive stance as if expecting to be attacked. Krystal turned and put a cautioning arm on his shoulder and gave him a warning glance. Krystal turned back to face the panther who was surveying Fox with cool amusement seeming to be completely unruffled by Fox's sudden out burst and asked in a polite but commanding voice.

        "May I ask who you are and what you want from us?"

        The panther continued to study Fox for a moment then unsteepling his paws and resting them comfortably on the arm rests turned and looked at Krystal and in his cool voice began.

        "Forgive me. I have always been one for the dramatic and theatrical entrances. Allow me to introduce myself." He paused and casually reached for a bottle of amber liquid on the desk. "My name is Anthony Cordice." he said while pouring a healthy measure of the liquid into a glass. "Do sit down and join me in a drink. Not the best year, but it will have to do."

        "Err.. No thank you." Krystal replied slightly unnerved by the panthers cool demeanor. "We just want to know what's going on."

        "No drinks? Well. Suit yourselves." The panther replied airily. "I suppose you would like to know what's going on wouldn't you." He sat back in his seat watching them lazily absently swirling his drink with a claw.

        "Yeah! That would be nice!" spat Fox hostilely. "You haven't answered our question. Why the hell are you keeping us here?"

        "Temper, temper!" the panther replied coolly still unruffled by Fox who looked extremely annoyed that his threatening manner was not having the desired effects. "Hostility will get you nowhere. Try keeping a civil tongue and I will tell you what you want. I do not intend to try and keep you in the dark, and if you give me the chance to speak I will divulge all the information I have for you. Now Please have a seat and we shall begin." he motioned to the chairs in front of the desk.

        Krystal seeing no other alternative than doing what he asked hesitantly stepped forward and perched cautiously on the edge of one of the over-stuffed arm chairs in front of the desk. Fox remained where he was scowling at the panther and muttering defiantly under his breath. The panther watched Fox with a bemused expression.

        "You know it is impolite to remain standing when offered to sit. Now I implore you please have a seat. I shan't begin until you join us as a civilized being." With this he turned back to his nursing his drink and ignored Fox's sputtered curses of indignation.

        Fox continued to scowl and stand defiantly where he was. Krystal a look of murderous aggravation on her face hissed at Fox. "Quit acting like a baby and sit down. I want to know what this is all about and your making things difficult."

        Fox growled darkly but flopped into the chair next to hers and stared resolutely at the ceiling. The panther as soon as Fox had settled into his chair to a final sip of his drink and turned back to face them. "Now. That wasn't so hard now was it?" he said. Fox ignored him and continued to stare at the ceiling. :Now are we all comfortable?…Goood! Now/ Shall we begin?" he asked pouring himself another glass from the bottle.

        "About time!" muttered Fox.

        The panther ignored this and leaning back began. "As I have already stated I am Anthony Cordice and before I was so rudely interrupted I was going to say that I represent General Daldrich. Which incidentally if proper manners had be observed and myself not interrupted; would have saved us these last few awkward moments we have just had. He said these last sentences with a smug note in his voice.

        At this point Fox interrupted. "How do I know what you really represent the General. What can you do to prove it?" he growled and Krystal put a paw over her face in aggravated exasperation.

        "Fox you moron just sit down and…" she began but was cut off by a hand wave from the panther.

        "No! No! He asks a legit question. How indeed do you know I am telling you the truth. After all I would be highly suspicious too if I were in his situation. The situation after all is rather an odd one."

        "Your damn right they are. Now answer my question how can you prove it?" Fox demanded hotly.

        The panther turned from Krystal and fixed Fox with a stern stare. "You are trying my patients with your rudeness but I will answer you question never the less. I know that you are Fox McCloud and Krystal Vixen and you were scheduled to leave on a transport to Despin ten minuets ago under authorization of General Cornelius Pepper."

        "That doesn't prove anything." Fox interrupted angrily, "Anyone could find that out by asking the Receptionist at the station's front desk."

        "You really have a knack for rudeness don't you?" the panther asked a slight clip to his voice now and a flash of irritation in his eyes.

        "Only when I'm being detained for no reason by a pompous flea bag !" Fox spat watching for a flicker of anything that might show that he had struck a nerve. Krystal leaned back in her chair a paw over her face in embarrassment.

        "Good Lord! General Daldrich said you were suspicious and untrusting , but this is ridiculous." the panther sighed and seemed to think for a moment rubbing his brow as if he had been hit with a headache. "Alright! You want more substantial proof? Shall we delve into more personal information to convince you?"

        Fox merely snorted. "Yeah, I highly doubt you have any information on me that proves that you know and work for the general."

        "Oh really? Is that so? … Well then let's see. Where to begin? What to start with? Oh yes. This will do nicely." the panther said a smug smile on his face now. "The general has given me several things which only he knows about you. The first and one of my personal favorites is the fact that you. The great Star fox are Claustrophobic." Fox's scowl faltered momentarily.

        "That's not proof. Lots of people are claustrophobic." Fox clipped defensively. "Your going to have to do better than that. "

        "Very well. I can go further if you wish." the panther said with a smile rather enjoying the now nervous look behind Fox's posturing. "Let's see now. I do believe you had a hand in the Nova bomb that leveled the mess hall during your years at the Academy. I believe it was you that...uhh...helped the General pass his flight class by cracking the school's computer and downloading the answers for him."

        "The mess hall was the Generals fault. It was his idea to level the place because of it's lousy food, and the test. I have no idea what you are talking about." Fox said defiantly although his voice wavered slightly.

        "Very well, shall I continue? The General told me that you used to sleep with a...." The panther started but was cut across by a slightly panicked sounding Fox.

        "Okay! Okay! So, you know the General!" Fox shouted drowning out the rest of the panther's sentence. Casting a side ways glance at Krystal who was now looking at him curiously he looked back at the panther and in a much politer voice. "You don't have to go any further. I believe you. Now could you please tell us why you are keeping us here. Why did you make us miss our Transport?'

        The panther chuckled. "Feeling a little more polite now are we? Afraid I might slip and let out more of your personal secrets?" He drawled lazily sipping his drink again, a triumphant smile on his face. "Although your politeness is fear based, it is a marked improvement. As for your question, Detainment was merely the means by which we chose to get you here. The General remembered how much you hated public transport and decided he would not suffer an old friend to do something he hated so much so, he has arranged a more suitable form of transportation for you."

        Krystal sat up in her chair and asked curiously, "Why didn't you just tell us that to begin with? It would have saved us allot of worrying and you allot of trouble."

        "Ahh! You are a clever one. The reason the general didn't want it to be disclosed to you immediately is because he didn't want everyone to become aware of his new little toy. You see it would have caused a bit of an uproar if it were to have been found out." The panther said cooly. Apparently wanting to reveal very little. "The General will fill you in on the details as you have a meeting with him in oh...about ten minuets." he said looking down at his watch.

        "Pardon my asking, but how the hell are we supposed to get to Despin in less than ten minuets?" Fox asked in a polite voice that still registered dislike in every syllable. Krystal nodded her agreement with Fox's statment and stared at the panther puzzled.

        "Well, shall we be going?" The panther asked ignoring their question and standing to his feet. And striding to the door without a backward glance. Krystal and Fox looked at each other and hurried after him.


Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

nextguardian on July 3, 2007, 1:11:09 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianThis is a great chapter, simply put! I love the "polite voice that still registered dislike in every syllable."

Great chapter!

Falconlobo on July 3, 2007, 7:43:57 AM

Falconlobo on
Falconlobowow funnyy chapter That Panther reminds me Of Mr. Herriman^^