Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3

Its is set in Middle Earth and starts around the time when the fellowship begins. Gilthoniel is the youngest sibling of Haldir of Lothlorien this story is about her life and her trying to cope with three older brothers.

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3


Chapter 3

After what seemed like hours, Haldir finally left Gilthoniel alone, with the threat “If I ever have to come chasing through the forest again, you'll wish you'd never been born!”

Of course, Gilthoniel was not frightened. She merely lifted an eyebrow at him and then went to her cupboard to pick out her favourite dress. There was to be a ball later that evening, and anyway, they had visitors so Gilthoniel must present herself nicely or Galadriel would instantly turn evil and banish her (and when she turns evil, she goes an odd green colour and it's not pleasant to see that!!).

The door opened and Gilthoniel whipped around to see Tinuviel standing there. Gilthoniel ran over and hugged her friend.

`What are you doing here?' Gilthoniel laughed, knowing she was supposed to be in Mirkwood.

`I couldn't let my dear brother come here on his own, and besides, I wanted to see my friend, if that's alright with you!'

`Of course, but why didn't I see you before?' Gilthoniel put her hands on her hips.

`Because I couldn't risk you seeing me and putting us all in danger!'

Gilthoniel laughed, but then looked outside. It was getting dark and she needed to get ready.

`Sorry, but I need to choose my dress and get changed. I'll see you down there.'

`Oh no, I'm not coming. I just came to say hi, and now I must go otherwise I'll be late!'

`Be late for what?' Gilthoniel yelled after her, but Tinuviel was already gone, so Gilthoniel went back to choosing her dress.

She eventually chose pure white dress with a black sash tied around the waist. When she arrived, she was swamped with people saying “you look lovely tonight, my dear” and “you look exactly how your mother used to look”. Eventually the dispersed (and Gilthoniel didn't have to resort to using a metal spike!) and Gilthoniel could breath again.

Gilthoniel walked up to Galadriel and her eyes flashed hazel as she stood next to her. She knew she would never forgive her for what she had been shown.

`Gilthoniel,' Galadriel whispered. `I want you to enjoy yourself tonight. Everyone else is, and I want you to forget what I showed you today, but maybe you already have?'

This was true. As much as she tried, Gilthoniel could not remember what had been shown to her that day, except for the fact she had died in the vision, but she couldn't even remember how.

`Gilthoniel, I only wanted to prepare you for what lies ahead, try to understand this. Now, I see that several young men wish for you to company them in the next dance.'

Gilthoniel looked up and saw that indeed, a fair few men and elves were standing around, hoping to dance with her. Gilthoniel glanced at their faces and saw that among them were Aragorn, Boromir and Legolas. Gilthoniel stepped forward and offered Aragorn her hand.

`Care for a dance, Elessar?' Gilthoniel smiled as he mimed being overjoyed that she had offered to dance.

`Why, of course, he said, pretending to kiss her hand lovingly.

They walked into the middle of the dance floor and began to dance. Gilthoniel whispered into his ear what had happened in Galadriel's clearing.

`And you don't remember any of it?' Aragorn asked thoughtfully after she finished.

`No, nothing, except that in it I die, or do I? I'm not sure anymore.'

Aragorn didn't say anything to that. How could he? When the music stopped and everyone cheered he gave Gilthoniel a little smile. Then the musicians began again, but this time it was a slow, love filled song and Aragorn stepped away.

`I can not dance this one with you,' he said, looking upset. Gilthoniel knew he must have been thinking about Arwen Undómiel, the Evenstar and his one love. He began to walk away, then turned back and said `I will suggest to Lady Galadriel that you were extremely upset by what you saw and that perhaps next time she should try a more subtle approach to warning you of the future.'

He vanished into the crowd and Gilthoniel was left standing there all alone. She sighed, and then looked up to see Legolas standing where only a few moments ago Aragorn had been.

`May I have this dance?' Legolas asked, offering Gilthoniel his arm. Gilthoniel took it and together they waltzed around the room and everybody turned to watch the Elvin prince dance with the beautiful heiress. The room was silent save the music and the sound of the dancer's feet. Gilthoniel rested her head on Legolas' shoulder, allowing him to lead her around the room.

And then, all too soon, the music stopped, and the dance was over. Gilthoniel looked up at Legolas as if she was coming out of a daze. He smiled down at her, and then offered her his arm, which she accepted. Together, they walked out onto the balcony connected to the room. Gilthoniel looked back and saw Aragorn smiling at her. She smiled back, and then turned around to face Legolas.

He was gazing at her with a strange expression on his face. It was windy, and her hair flew wildly around, hiding her face. Legolas lifted his hand and pushed the hair out of her eyes.

`You are so beautiful, Gilthoniel,' he whispered, only loud enough for her to hear. She tried to return his stare, but his eyes forced her too look away.

He tilted her chin upwards to face him, and then kissed her. Gilthoniel was almost kissing him back when a felting memory as if a long forgotten dream flashed before her eyes, then she quickly pulled away.

`What's wrong?' Legolas asked, startled and confused.

`I'm sorry,' she whispered, tears beginning to pour down her cheeks. She tried so hard to remember the vision, to remember what happened. She knew there was a man she loved in it, and he died. But how, and why? Gilthoniel couldn't remember who he was. What if he was Legolas? Tinuviel would never forgive her if she loved her brother and he died. `Its just that…'

Legolas suddenly looked angry and looked away from her. `It's because I'm Tinuviel's brother, isn't it?'

`No, it's not that, I'm sorry, I don't understand myself, but…'

`But what, Gilthoniel, what? Are you afraid, because if that's it you don't have to be? Are you afraid?' Legolas walked over to her and put his hands on her waist. `Please, tell me.'

Gilthoniel looked up and Legolas could see her eyes had turned light hazel. Tears streamed silently down her cheeks and she whispered quietly `Yes, I am.'

`What of?'

Gilthoniel stared into his eyes, trying to see if he was testing her. But she saw only caring in his eyes so she replied `Love.'

And with that, she tore herself from his arms and ran back into the room. Back up the hallway, up the stairs, across the corridor and into her own bedroom, where she threw herself onto the bed and began to cry.

The door creaked open and someone came in and sat on her bed. She felt a hand on her shoulder and a calming voice saying `Tell me what happened.'

She looked up and Gilthoniel saw Aragorn smiling down at her. She sat up and tried to talk.

`I…he…I…'

But she couldn't do it. She threw her arms around Aragorn and cried onto his shoulder. He supported her, gently stroking her hair and whispering into her ear `calm down, it'll be alright.'

Eventually she calmed down enough to say shakily `I hate Galadriel!' and then she was off again.

Aragorn knew what she was talking about and made her lie down. He dried her eyes and only when she had stopped crying did he ask `What do you remember?'

Gilthoniel swallowed. `I remember an elf. I don't remember his name or what he looked like, but I remember I loved him, and he died because of it. And tonight, Legolas took me out onto the balcony, and it was so beautiful and he was so lovely that when he kissed me, I allowed it. Then…'

`What, Legolas kissed you?'

`Yes, why?'

`He's Tinuviel's brother!'

`So?'

`Isn't that just a little bit strange?'

`A little, but now you've interrupted me. Where was I?'

`You allowed him to kiss you.'

`Oh yes. I felt warm and happy, but then I remembered that I had loved a man in my vision and he died, leading to me doing something awful. I then pulled away from Legolas because I thought that Legolas could have been the elf in my vision, couldn't he?'

`It's a possibility, yes.'

`If he was, that would mean he dies an untimely death. Anyway, I pulled away from him and he got angry because he thought it was because Tinuviel is one of my oldest and dearest friends. I tried to explain and he asked if I was afraid of something, and I said I was afraid of love. Then I ran away from him.'

Gilthoniel's purple eyes turned hazel again and filled with tears. She allowed Aragorn to wrapped a blanket around her and sit down in a nearby chair. Gilthoniel wrapped her arms around Elendil's neck and closed her eyes. She was asleep instantly.

Aragorn watched her for a few minutes then he got up and put a few more logs on the fire to keep her warm and went out to where Legolas waited.

`How is she?' Legolas asked anxiously, looking worried. Aragorn turned around and looked Legolas deep in the eye. Then he said in a hushed tone `Did you hear anything that was said between Gilthoniel and I?'

`A bit, but please, tell me, what is she afraid about?' Legolas pleaded, desperate to know.

`Well then, I hope you can brace yourself for what I will say next.'

`Of course I can, but tell me Aragorn, don't make me suffer any longer!'

Aragorn sighed, the mumbled quickly `She is afraid to love,' and walked away.



***



Gilthoniel sat in a small, delicately furnished room, weaving. Galadriel said to her that she needed to say the spell of light over and over while she weaved and when she was finished, the woven cloth would glow.

Gilthoniel sat back and admired her effort. True, there were a few gaps and it wasn't glowing as brightly as Galadriel's was, but it was exceptional for a first attempt.

Soon after this Galadriel (or the wicked witch of the East as Gilthoniel now called her) followed by Aragorn and Legolas. Gilthoniel turned away from Legolas, for the two had not said anything to each other since the fateful night they had danced. Gilthoniel picked up her weaving and handed it to Galadriel, who looked strangely pleased.

`Very good, my child,' Gilthoniel shuddered at Galadriel's voice. `Aragorn, say what you must, for I know you wish to be going.'

`Going?' Gilthoniel cried. But you only just got here!' You cannot leave so soon!'

`Gilthoniel, you must understand the great peril we put Frodo in by staying here. He is the Ring-bearer, and we must leave before it is too late.' Aragorn stepped forward and hugged her. Gilthoniel hugged him back but then looked up at him with pleading in her eyes.

`Can I come with you, please Elessar?' Gilthoniel begged.

Aragorn laughed at her and smoothed her hair away from her eyes. `Not this time, we have a long journey ahead, and lots of danger is waiting for us when we get there. I cannot ensure you will come home.'

Gilthoniel was about to plead that she could fight but her eyes flicked over to Legolas and their eyes meet. Her eyes became a dark hazel and she backed away from Aragorn.

`You're right.' She said, lowering herself into a nearby chair. `I would only hold you up.'

Aragorn placed his hand on her shoulder and kissed her forehead. `You would never hold us up, my dear.' Then he stepped away and stood beside Legolas. `Be quick.' And with that Aragorn walked out of the door to join the rest of the Fellowship by the boats. Galadriel gave Gilthoniel back her weaving, then swept after Aragorn, closing the door behind her.

`Gilthoniel?' Legolas called from behind her. She stood up and gazed at him for a moment and then walked over to him. She stood right in front of him, so close she was almost touching him. He bent down and kissed her bared shoulder. She stood still, staring ahead, not saying anything. He looked up and into her eyes. They were full of tears, not ready to spill, but only just managing to stay there.

`Gilthoniel, why did you run away from me that night?' Legolas whispered into her ear before kissing her cheek afterwards.

Gilthoniel looked down at her feet, not wanting to have to look into those piercing eyes. `Galadriel showed me a vision where a man I love dies, and I didn't want that man to be you, so I will not fall in love with you.'

Legolas looked taken aback, and shook his head. `No one dies because they are loved; they die because they are hated. Remember that, Gilthoniel.'

Gilthoniel looked up and into his face. `I don't want you to go,' she whispered. `You might never come back.'

Legolas laughed and Gilthoniel threw her arms around his neck. `Please don't go, please?'

Legolas kissed her gently and then walked away. `I will return, Gilthoniel. I promise.'


Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Tillyenna on July 12, 2005, 5:40:19 AM

Tillyenna on
Tillyenna*throws up* how can anyone get that sentimental about a woodelf, and anyway, you cant fall inlove with him, not becuase he's Tinuviels brother, but...becuase daddy dearest has an arranged marriage for him and nimrodel
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

angel_of_beauty_and_light on March 11, 2005, 6:43:02 AM

angel_of_beauty_and_light on
angel_of_beauty_and_lightHmm, thanks Nemya. I know you know who the real Findiel is but if you say anything then you will die! You will die, you will die, you will die!
Oh, thank you for saying it was amazing *glomps*.

Nemya on March 11, 2005, 6:07:28 AM

Nemya on
Nemyauh. It didnt show my whole comment :K Well, Manning, write more!! My life depends on it! And yay, looks like Im not stuck with Legolas this time! *celebrates*

I KNOW WHO THE REAL FINDIEL IS!!! BWA HA HA!!!!!