Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7

Its is set in Middle Earth and starts around the time when the fellowship begins. Gilthoniel is the youngest sibling of Haldir of Lothlorien this story is about her life and her trying to cope with three older brothers.

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7


Chapter 7



Gilthoniel returned to Lorien two days later, with Findiel riding next to her and Nimrodel and Tillyena and their father a little further ahead. As they entered the Lorien forest she cantered through it, glad to be home. She dismounted Arvedui and handed her to the stable boy and took her bags. She patted Arvedui's back and then ran into the city. She burst through Galadriel's door and ran over to her.

`Gilthoniel?' Galadriel looked up, surprised, and returned the hug Gilthoniel was giving her. `I didn't know you would be home so soon.'

`I needed to come home. After I heard about Haldir's death I decided I was no longer required to stay in Rivendell so I came home, bringing Elrond and his family with me.'

It was at that moment that Nimrodel and Tillyena walked through the door. Nimrodel ran over to her Grandmother and hugged her, but Tilly stood her ground. I was common knowledge that the two didn't get on at all well.

Celeborn came through the door and wrapped his arm around Tillyena. `Hello granddad!' Tillyena said, hugging him back. Though she didn't get on well with Galadriel, Tilly adored Celeborn. Hr was so sweet to her, it was quite unusual really.

Gilthoniel decided they needed a family reunion and left so she didn't interrupt. She went up to her room and was immediately bowled over by Elendil, who was ecstatic to see she was finally home.

Gilthoniel sat down on her bed and hugged her knees. Orophin and Rumil wound be coming home soon but Gilthoniel didn't think she could bear seeing them after what happened to Haldir.

Gilthoniel sat there for hours staring into space, her eyes filling with tears when she thought of her brother and the last thing she ever said to him. She knew that Findiel had been right and she shouldn't feel guilty, but that didn't stop a vision of Haldir's face, looking hurt as she told him she was no longer his brother, swimming into Gilthoniel's mind. She tried to push it to the back of her thoughts but it was like an itch, not wanting to be left alone.

Sometime Gilthoniel's thoughts turned into dreams and she could see Haldir charging into battle and being killed by orcs whilst Gilthoniel stood and watched. She also saw the little hobbit Frodo Baggins being slaughtered by the nazgûl and the ring of power being returned to the dark lord Sauron. She saw Aragorn and Legolas dying at the hands of Urak-hai and herself dying of a broken heart at the sight of Legolas' body.

Gilthoniel screamed and at the sound of her own voice awoke. She sat gasping, drenched in a cold sweat. She got up and went to the washroom where she dunked her head in a basin of cold water. She stood up right, letting the cool water drip down her neck and chilled her back. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and saw her eyes were light brown still. Gilthoniel dried her face on a towel and climbed back into her bed. But she could not go to sleep. She got up and put on a black dress and left her room. She stood outside letting the night air cool her still damp face and hair, which streamed out behind her like a black cloud. She closed her eyes and breathed in the familiar smells around her. She had missed Lorien, but it would never be the same.

Gilthoniel sat down and wrapped her arms around her legs. She rocked backwards and forwards and closed her eyes again.

Her life seemed so simple before and now it had all changed. She had grown up fast, too fast for her liking. She didn't want to have her brother's death hanging over her like a sinister cloud. She wanted to run and jump in the sunshine, but she knew that even that, like everything else, would never be the same.

Eventually Gilthoniel stood and went back inside. She knew she couldn't just sit around wishing she was only a few weeks younger and that Haldir was still alive. She went to the stables and saw Arvedui was as wide-awake as she was. She jumped into her stable and took one of the brushes off the wall and brushed Arvedui's mane. The mare swished her tail and pawed the ground as if she knew now was the time to stand still and do as she was told.

`What are you doing down here at this time of the night?' A voice demanded behind her. Gilthoniel looked over her shoulder and saw Rumil and Orophin standing behind her with their arms folded, their horses tossing there heads while they waited for a warm blanket and a good groom. Gilthoniel jumped over the stable fence and ran into her brothers' outstretched arms and wept on Rumil's shoulder. He patted her head and motioned to the stable boy to take his chestnut mare back to her stable. Then he and Orophin lead Gilthoniel to a room filled with people. They made their way from here to a chamber off the side of this room and away from everyone. Here they sat Gilthoniel down on a comfortable chair and sat down either side of her.

`I just wish I'd gotten to say goodbye,' Gilthoniel stared at her hands. Orophin wrapped his arm around her shoulders and let her rest her head on his shoulder.

`There is nothing you could have said or done to have prevented Haldir's death.' Orophin sighed. He took Gilthoniel's hand in his and stroked it. `Haldir died in battle and that is what he wanted.'

Gilthoniel stood up and began to pace the room. She looked back at her brothers and suddenly she was struck by a horrible thought.

`Did you watch him die?' Gilthoniel tried to stop her voice from shaking but couldn't. She put her hands on her hips and stared at them.

`No, but Aragorn did.' Rumil said.

Gilthoniel looked shocked. She turned away from them and put her hand over her mouth. She calmed down and turned to face hr brothers again.

`Is Aragorn all right? And Legolas? Is he alright too?'

`Legolas and Aragorn are fine. They've gone back to Edoras and are staying with King Théoden for now.' Orophin said in a hushed voice, barely more than a whisper.

Gilthoniel nodded and left the room, unable to bear the sight of her brothers looking so lost and afraid. Gilthoniel put on her clock and ran out into the chilly night air. She ran and sat on the banks of the river Nimrodel and, for the first time in her life, she felt completely, utterly alone.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Tillyenna on July 12, 2005, 5:54:21 AM

Tillyenna on
Tillyennahmmm, there are reasons we dont get on, but I'll leave it at that, and you still havnt explained about findiel beind a not woodelf or (more likely) being ashamed of his woodelfness