Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Infection

Kira is a young vampire who can see the absolute future and into the past and past lives. She has very little memory of the past few years.

Chapter 3 - Infection

Chapter 3 - Infection
A shiver slithered its way up Kira’s spine. This was her only sign that some life was left in her. Kira looked up at the black sky and the eerie gray clouds blocking her view of the million stars. Staring at the clouds always caused her mind to wander, but the line between dream and reality was slowly beginning to fade. Kira pinched her leg gently to make sure she wasn’t dreaming. After feeling a twinge of pain fly up her leg and to her fingers, she was satisfied. Kira’s lovely satisfaction quickly turned to embarrassment, then anger, as she remembered where she had woken up just minutes before. This had been the third time this week that Kira woke up next to a trashcan.

The first time, she had simply fallen out of her bed. She was having a rather gruesome dream about having to abandon an airplane because there was a murderer on board. She awoke with a loud grown, and walked over to the bathroom to splash some cool water on her face.

The second time, Kira had gotten a further distance. That night, she was dreaming about a mass murderer being in her room, and she had to up to the attic, which was the only place he couldn’t go because he didn’t have the key. Kira woke up with her head leaning against the island counter in the kitchen. She held a notebook in her right hand and a thin black fountain pen in her left. She cursed herself for using the ink she used for her to art to write in large letters, “6780 Arseny Lane”. She blinked hard and shoved the paper into her empty burgundy art bag. Kira threw the bag on the stairs before returning upstairs to get some sleep before school.

But this time was the worst. Kira woke up next to a large dumpster, nearly three miles from her house. Kira cursed out loud and punched a dent in the side of the can. She examined herself, to make sure she left the house in clothes, and a wave of relief washed over her. Not only was she wearing a black shirt with a cape and a skirt, she was also wearing some striped socks and sharp black boots. Kira got up and dusted herself off before heading off to the address scribbled in her notebook.

On the street of Arseny Lane, there were a number of unusual stores—acupuncture, psychics, scary clothing stores—not to mention Valentin Tower. The tower was over two hundred stories high, and hadn’t been entered by anyone other than Kira in over twenty years. Kira was always in the Arseny Tower library. It was the only place she could escape from the idiots at her school.

Everybody stayed away from Valentin Tower because it had a thirteenth floor. Kira simply ignored the foolish superstitions and climbed the creaky stairs to the library, which was located on the thirteenth floor. She would stay at the library for hours on end and be engulfed in her studies of the many things she didn’t know about the history of the small town of Valentin (Vahl-ehn-teen).

But today the thing that brought Kira away from her home wasn’t Valentin Tower. It was the building diagonal from it. Kira sighed and put her right hand over her heart. Tears threatened to fall, but Kira refused to let them pass. She stood there in remorse for a moment before lowering her right hand. She raised her left hand into the air.

“One hundred,” she whispered before waving her left hand down to her side.

The building’s foundation began to rot slowly, causing the building to come crashing down. The foundation was nothing now but fine dust and debris.

Kira stepped back carefully, letting the blood pour onto the street. It teased touching her boots, but it shrank away. The blood began to boil, and the street under it dissolved. Kira looked down in disbelief.

“An infection?” she asked herself. A cold, dead body fell to the ground right on front of Kira. Her eyes widened in horror and her hand flew to her neck. The corpse’s eyes were bright yellow and its mouth was wide open. As the lip curled back, it revealed the teeth Kira wished she had not seen. Fangs. “A half-breed…infection?” Kira gasped.

A loud siren wailed and Kira ran away hastily, leaving bloody footprints. But it didn’t matter what she had left behind. The shape of the bloody prints and the DNA on the hair had already changed before Kira was gone.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment