Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - It Came From The mountain

Dragon, mountain, village, Story

Chapter 1 - It Came From The mountain

Chapter 1 - It Came From The mountain
It Came From the Mountain

They ran from their houses, screaming in fear, but there was one, Joss, who did not move, but waited in the village square as if he knew something was about to happen. All of a sudden the sky filled with smoke and fire poured out of the sky, the village square instantly burst into flames and it swooped down out of the clouds and grabbed Joss in its mighty talons and flew towards the mountains. When the fire had burnt out, the village square was the only damaged piece of the village, everyone was happy that no one had been hurt, apart from one girl, Linden, who was crying in the centre of the square, her husband had been taken by the fire breathing beast.
‘Why are you crying?’ a voice asked.
Linden looked up and to her amazement the person that stood there was Joss, her husband, then she realised, blood was pouring from a great wound on his shoulder.
‘What happened? I thought the beast took you to its lair.’ Linden said, crying.
‘It carried me in its talons for a while, but I struggled free, and it dropped me in the hills with a loud roar.’ Joss explained.
‘I…I thought it killed you. Let me tend to your wound.’ Said Linden, her eyes drying up. ‘That will do for now, I’ll clean and bandage it later.’ She said as she ripped the sleeve of his top off and wrapped it tightly around the wound.
Once Linden and Joss finally got home they were overjoyed to see that it was still there, they went inside and Linden cleaned and properly bandaged his wound. Once Joss had recovered he took Linden to the location that the beast dropped him.
‘What are they?’ Linden remarked, pointing at two objects on the floor.
Joss walked over, picked them up and said ‘Its one of the creatures large scales and one of its mighty talons, I bet the black smith can make them into a sword and shield.’ They went to the village blacksmith who said ‘I’ve never seen anything like it, if you let me smith them into a sword and shield I’ll do it for free, I’ll ever throw in some platinum armour.’
‘Sure, why not’ said Joss, ‘I was going to ask you anyway.’
‘Come back tomorrow and they should all be ready,’ said the blacksmith cheerfully.
Joss and Linden went to the blacksmith the next morning and ask it everything was ready.
‘Of course it is,’ said the tired blacksmith.
Linden and Joss left, when they got home Joss announced ‘I’m going to kill it’
‘No!’ cried Linden, ‘nothing can pierce its scales.’
‘Nothing that humans can make,’ explained Joss ‘but remember platinum is fire proof, and its scales and talons have now been made into a shield and sword, so I should be able to pierce it.’
‘Ok’ said Linden crying, ‘but come back, please come back.’
‘Don’t worry, I will,’ said Joss ‘I will leave once I have gathered provisions.’
With that he left. Joss came back later that day, kissed her forehead and said, ‘I love you, I promise, I will come back.’
‘I love you too,’ said Linden ‘you had better come back, or I’ll hurt you,’ she gave a wry smile.
Joss left and made his way to the forest by the foot of the mountain, where he made camp and rested for the night. The next morning Joss packed up camp leaving no trace of him being there, then made his way up the mountain, until he came to a small cave, too small for the fire breathing beast. So Joss walked on a bit more when he heard a loud growl, he turned around slowly and before him stood a mighty blood leopard. Joss slowly backed off when it pounced at him, he raised his shield and thrust his sword into its jaw, instantly killing it, once he had wiped the blood of his blade and buried the body, and he carried on up the mountain. Once Joss finally reached the peak, high above the clouds he was surprised to find the mountain flat snowy plain with a large rocky outcrop near the far edge, it suddenly became quite dark then out of nowhere it began to rain fire all around him. Joss looked up to see the beast flying towards him, he ran and dived into the rocky outcrop, where he found a large egg, it began to crack.
The beast spoke, ‘My species, the dragon kind, mean you no harm, but inside your town square statue lays pure, untouched platinum and without it my child shall now survive his first hour in this world.’
‘Try talking to the villagers,’ said Joss.
‘They would attack me, they don’t understand me,’ said the dragon calmly.
‘I will get it for you… on two conditions; you tell me why you took me from the square, and you stop attacking the village,’ said Joss calming down.
‘I agree to your conditions, I only took you so that I could speak to you, alone,’ the dragon explained, ‘if you want, climb onto my back and I’ll take you to the village.’
Joss climbed onto its back and they glided towards the village, once there he started reasoning with the villages.
‘The dragon has meant no harm to us, but it needs the pure platinum from the village statue to keep its baby alive, it has promised us that it will not attack the village,’ Joss explained.
The villagers were shouting so much that Joss couldn’t understand what they were saying. Then Linden walked out on the crowd and climbed up the dragon’s tail towards Joss, she shouted out ‘listen to him, if we give it the statue I’m sure that it will leave us alone.’
The villagers grumbling quietened to a silence as the Village Elder walked out of the crowd and spoke wisely ‘If this…dragon and its…young leave us alone, then it may take the statue.’
Joss and Linden dismounted dragon back and stood in the centre of the village square.
‘Joss…come visit sometime, bring Linden with you,’ said the dragon without moving its mouth.
With that the dragon took the statue gently in its mouth and flew off into the direction of the mountain. The dragon was true to its word for a whole year, when it returned, not to destroy the village but to show Joss and Linden its child. Joss and Linden walked towards the dragon child and stroked its long neck, before they could say a thing the dragon spoke, ‘Thank you Joss, Linden, but I shall now leave, me and my child need to go back to our own land, Dragonia.’
With that the two dragons flew high into the sky, but this time they flew towards uncharted land.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment