Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - The Impressed Leader: A Dream Achieved

A new Chunin Exam final has arrived. Find out what happens to the young son of a merchant family after Hinata recieves an unusual fortune.

Chapter 5 - The Impressed Leader: A Dream Achieved

Chapter 5 - The Impressed Leader: A Dream Achieved
“Why should you have recognized me?” asked Tsunade, unphased by Akai’s apology, “it’s not like Konoha requires visitors to always bow upon seeing the Hokage.” Then, as if that was the end of the issue, she turned to face Iruka, who had walked up behind her carrying the traditional red and white robes of the Hokage. “Is it time already to go to this meeting you talked me into, Iruka?” she asked rather dejectedly as she took the robe from him and slid it on over her own robe.
“Yes, Lady Hokage,” he responded quickly, a confused look on his face as he glanced over at Akai and his brother, “ but…”
“Well stop wasting time then,” she interrupted with a snap, turning to head back onto the village street, “where are we going for this meeting, anyways?”
“Umm, we are already here, Lady Tsunade,” he tells her slowly, looking once again at Akai, who returns the chunin’s confused glance.
“Excuse me?” Tsunade asks slowly as she turns back around, confusion also quite evident in her expression, “what do you m…” She stopped suddenly upon seeing Akai, and a look of realization crossed her face. “You?” she asked him, a puzzled look in her eyes.
“I can only assume so, Lady Hokage,” he replied, a questioning look passing between him and Iruka. Iruka nodded his way and Akai now took the time to regain his composure.
“Yes, Lady Hokage,” Iruka confirmed, realizing what must have happened, that Tsunade had not even realized who she had been speaking with, “Akai, here, is the individual Hinata and I spoke to you about last night, and the one I requested that you meet.”
The Hokage was now looking at Akai in an entirely new way, as if she were seeing him for the first time. The analytical stare she now gave him had reduced even chunin to jitters on previous occasions, but Akai stood tall and steady, realizing that she was testing him and his nerves. It was at about this time that Izumi returned from the wagon, expecting nothing more than a quiet conversation between her brothers and a needy customer. When she recognized the Hokage robes that Tsunade had donned, however, she almost stopped dead in her tracks. Thankfully years of practice had instilled her with an instinctive courteousness that won out over her shock.
“Lady Hokage,” she said as she walked up behind Akai, “Mr. Umino, what an honor it is to have you both here.” Then, looking at Tsunade, she added, “I am most sorry for the confusion, Lady Hokage, we did not realize that Mr. Umino had arranged a meeting.” She bowed to the shinobi leader as she made her apology.
“There is nothing to apologize for,” Tsunade said, finally taking her eyes off of Akai, “even I did not recognize that I was supposed to be meeting with Akai, here.” An awkward silence followed this, as no one seemed sure of what to do next. Thankfully, Iruka had an idea.
“How about we all take seats and conduct this like an interview?” he suggested, glancing around at the group.
“Sounds good to me,” Tsunade said quickly, as she dropped back into her seat. She now seemed like a somewhat arrogant businesswoman, who thought most of what was going on was beneath her. This change surprised Akai, when he compared her to the friendly customer she had been only moments before.
“Good,” said Iruka, a note of relief in his voice, “now, Izumi, could you kindly go and get your parents and let them know we are here.” He looked at her as she said this. “I think it would be best if they were here too.”
“Certainly,” she replied, almost happy for the opportunity to move away for a moment. Then she turned to her brothers. “Mikon, Akai, please see about setting up the closed signs.”
“Right away, sis,” Mikon replied, equally as happy, as he bolted for the wagon to retrieve the signs. Akai followed him but with considerably more restraint. As they departed, Izumi also turned to go about her task.
“And another bottle of sake, Ms. Izumi?” said Tsunade as the sister started walking.
“I shall, Lady Hokage,” Izumi replied as she continued walking.
Alone with the Hokage now as the three siblings were busy, Iruka now turned to his leader, with every intent of asking her for her opinion thus far. He stopped though when he saw her face. She was watching Akai once again, but this time it was less of a precision analysis and more of a contemplative gaze, a look that saw him but also past him, to what his future might be. “That’s how she looks at Naruto,” he thought to himself as he waited.

Five minutes later, the siblings had returned, Izumi accompanied by Toramaru and Mina and carrying another small bottle of liquor in her hands. She walked up to Tsunade with her parents right behind her.
“Lady Hokage,” she said as she handed Tsunade the bottle, “may I introduce our parents, Kajihana Toramaru and Mina.” The two parents bowed momentarily before the Hokage before Tsunade motioned that everyone should take a seat. She then went right to business.
“As you may or may not be aware,” she said to the Kajihana family, “I am here at the request of Umino Iruka and Hyuga Hinata, to assess a one Kajihana Akai and determine if he has the potential to become a Leaf shinobi.” She looked at Akai as she said this. “I will ask you several questions and may also require a demonstration of your current skill level. You must respond honestly, is this understood?”
“Yes, it is, Lady Hokage,” Akai replied, meeting her gaze. The two looked into each others’ eyes for a moment before Tsunade continued.
“Good, now I have already been informed of some of your history, so I wont be asking anything about that. Most of what I will be asking is in the nature of skills assessment.”
“Understood, ma’am.”
The Hokage paused for a moment and looked about the group before moving to her first question.
“Of the jutsu you have created and tested, some of which I was shown by Iruka last night, how many and which ones do you use on a regular basis?” When Tsunade finished asking this, Akai paused in thought for a moment.
“There are three which I use with any regularity, ma’am. These include the water-walking and tree-climbing jutsu, as well as the Shadow Clone Jutsu.” He stopped for a moment and noticed the quizzical stare that everyone but Tsunade was giving him. “I use that when the clan comes across a library. We never usually stay in any one place for too long so I use Shadow Clones to read as much about the shinobi as I can while we are there,” he explained.
“Very well,” said Tsunade, whose face seemed just as bored as before. She took a swig from the bottle of sake before continuing. “What about physical conditioning? Do you regularly do any kind of training for your body?”
“Yes, ma’am,” Akai responded almost immediately, needing no pause to think about his response. “I make a point of working out daily for about 80 minutes, and I also run two miles every morning. That is actually when I use the other two jutsu the most, since they let me run in almost any conditions.” Iruka looked impressed with that information, but Tsunade still seemed bored. Her bottle was already half empty, and Akai had a strange feeling that once it was done, that would be the end of the meeting.
“Interesting,” Tsunade said, before turning to face each of Akai’s family members, “can you all confirm this?”
“That we can,” Izumi confirmed first, “I even join him for the running.”
“Indeed. Well,” she continued, turning back to Akai, “what about weapon skills, then?”
“That is where I am lacking,” admitted Akai, “I have no experience at all with shuriken and other projectiles and I have only a basic grasp of other tools, like paper and smoke bombs. The one weapon I have practice with is my bokuto, but I am shaky even with that.”
“A wooden sword, huh?” she commented, seemingly amused, “that’s an unusual weapon for a shinobi. It’s not very effective against other weapons.”
“It is if you have good chakra control.” At this Tsunade raised an inquisitive eyebrow, signaling Akai to explain. “It is made of wood, which conducts chakra more easily than metal. My theory is that with precise timing and chakra control, a skilled shinobi could reinforce the bokuto with chakra as he needed, making it far stronger and more durable. Doing that not only gives the shinobi an effective close-combat weapon, it also gives him an element of surprise when his opponent expects a fragile piece of wood.” This explanation actually caused Tsunade’s jaw to drop momentarily, and Iruka thought he knew why. Akai had just theorized a method of expanding Tsunade’s own taijutsu style.
“You know, I’m beginning to like you more and more,” she said after picking up her jaw. This caught Akai off guard, as he wasn’t expecting Tsunade to suddenly become personable again. “I was impressed with you before I even knew who you were, what with your wit and willingness to help people.” After she said this she stood and addressed the entire group. “I have reached my decision.”
This surprised none more so than Iruka.
“So quickly, Lady Tsunade,” he blurted out suddenly, “you’ve only interviewed him for ten minutes. Shouldn’t you ask him to at least show you his skills, ask his family more questions, or something like that.”
“I don’t feel I need to, Iruka,” she replied to him rather bluntly, “I trust that everything he has told me is true, and I think he has potential.”
“Does that mean you are allowing him to become a shinobi?” asked Izumi, instinctively putting a hand on her little brother’s shoulder as he fell silent.
“No, it does not.” This response threatened to cause an outbreak from Toramaru and Mikon, but having predicted such, Tsunade silenced them with a raised hand. “What it does mean is that I am willing to give him a shot.” Izumi’s hand tightened on Akai’s shoulder, as Tsunade turned to Iruka. “Iruka.”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Are you willing to take on Akai as a special student?” Iruka glanced at Akai before responding.
“That I am, Lady Hokage.”
“Good,” she said, satisfied, before turning back to and addressing Akai. “I am granting you two months of special trainee status. You will train with Iruka during that time to learn the basic skills that you are still missing. If, after that time, you are able to pass an Academy sanctioned graduation exam and a Jonin given test, I will pronounce you a genin of Konohagakure. Is this acceptable?” Akai sat there stunned for a moment.
“Well, Akai?” asked Izumi calmly. She was quiet, but her voice got through to Akai and helped him break out of his stupor. He stood and faced Lady Tsunade.
“I do find it so,” he said.
“Then report to the Academy first thing in the morning on the day after the finals. Iruka will begin your training then.” With that she turned to leave. Akai remained standing, disbelieving. Izumi stood and wrapped her little brother in a hug, a silent congratulations on achieving the first step in his dream.
“Oh, and Akai,” said Tsunade’s voice, causing Akai to look up. The Hokage had stopped and turned to face him once again. “Don’t let me down. I’m expecting some great things from you.” And with that, she slid the traditional hat of the Hokage on over her blond hair and walked away. Standing there, watching her walk away, Akai had only one thought.

“I will not.”

Comments

Comments (6)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on May 15, 2008, 9:37:36 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDThat was a perfectly formed story. You should become a professional! Loved the use of language, and the way you wrapped the story up. It's been a privilege to read, so thank you.

tinystarkitten on April 4, 2008, 12:35:19 PM

tinystarkitten on
tinystarkittenAaaaaaand... end episode! xD Good ending, leaves me wanting more. Exactly what every writer should aim for.

rlkitten on April 2, 2008, 7:00:29 AM

rlkitten on
rlkittenVery nice!! ^^ A beautiful, smooth. ending!!! Great job!!!!!!
 
Have you heard of the RP section in the forums?

flyingeagle13 on April 2, 2008, 9:54:56 AM

flyingeagle13 on
flyingeagle13Actually I have not, could you please explain.

rlkitten on April 2, 2008, 1:19:23 PM

rlkitten on
rlkittenWhoa!! Really?! I was wondering if you had, but just didn't like it. That's the way my friend is anyway- she's a great writer, but just isn't really into RPing.
 
Alright, just let me get a link real quick....
 
http://forums.fanart-central.net/viewforum.php?f=16
 
Here's the link to "General Roleplaying" I have yet to figure out how to be accepted into "Advanced Roleplaying"- I haven't read that thread =/ This can be found in the second to last section in the forums, labeled "Writing"
 
Here, it's kind of like...a great big collaboration? Sort of? Agh- I'm not so good at explaining it- nobody explained it to me, so I think I'll just let you get a good idea of it by reading recent posts and the rules.
 
Oh yeah! The rules! MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE RULES:
Character Entrances
All the rules you gotta know
 
If you're into Zelda or Harry Potter, I have two RPs up and running, though I don't really suggest joining the Harry Potter one- it's dying.
Hyrule for Peace
Hogwarts~ Future
 
I highly suggest joining this RP I'm currently in, it's going very well- and you can totally join, if you don't mind a bit of reading (understatement...but I'm sure you can easily catch up- either that or request a summary from the maker of the RP through PM)
The Sound of Marching Gear
 
Maybe when you get the feel of it you could make a decent Naruto RP? I really want there to be one, but have no idea how to begin it -Nor any ideas when it comes to plot. Well, I hope you’ll consider RPing though!! If you do well enough, you can get away from all the amateurs and in with the Advanced! =D I’m still work’in on that myself X3
 

SunaNoFara on March 31, 2008, 2:21:17 PM

SunaNoFara on
SunaNoFaraNice ending!  Really, a great story!  I hope to see your next story soon!^^

hflp on March 31, 2008, 12:56:47 PM

hflp on
hflpCool.