Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Battle Rages: Death and Rebirth

It is two months after the events of Flower of Fire and Akai anxiously awaits the results of his graduation exam, and he still has to pass a Jonin's test as well. What can a mysterious scroll sent to him by his old sensei be for?

Chapter 4 - The Battle Rages: Death and Rebirth

Chapter 4 - The Battle Rages: Death and Rebirth
As Hishin and the blue wolf, Mizubuke, started to slowly circle around Tenma, Waizuten ran over to where Akai was now sprawled on the ground. Kazeshin, the snow-white female wolf, was already starting to tend to Akai’s mangled arm, placing her paw on the bite wound as it started to glow with her chakra. The other female, the brown one that Akai still did not know the name of, had taken the four pups and brought them to the other side of the grove, away from danger. Akai shuddered with a fresh wave of pain as the curse mark on his injured arm started to move down his back. Tenma laughed as he watched Waizuten examine the marks on Akai’s arm.

“Not even you can remove it once it’s active now, old one. I’ve perfected it,” he gloated with a demonic gleam in his eye. “It wont recede until it has drained every last bit of his chakra. When that happens he will be beyond any help, since he’ll be dead.” He threw back his head and laughed again, apparently forgetting the two wolves who were circling him, looking for an opening. Hishin and Mizubuke both rammed into Tenma’s right flank, startling him and pinning him to a tree trunk.

“Your curse can’t kill him if we kill you first,” Hishin said to Tenma’s face. Strangely, this statement only seemed to amuse Tenma even more, as he started laughing again, all traces of sanity now long gone. He then twisted and shoved the two smaller wolves away, continuing to laugh maniacally. The chakra swirling around him flashed once again, and Akai released a another cry of pain, his eyes watering from the shear intensity.

“Quickly, Hishin,” called Waizuten frantically, “his body can’t take much more of this!” With that, the old wolf bowed his head towards, Akai’s arm and chakra began to flow from a point on his forehead, he was trying to suppress the curse, though he knew he would not be able to for long. Hishin and Mizubuke would have to finish Tenma fast, or all the healing he and Kazeshin could ever do would not be able to help Akai. Once the last of his chakra was gone, his body would simply shut down and cease to function, killing him.

“Your efforts are futile,” Tenma announced to the pack as a whole, more demonic looking than ever in the moonlight, “even if you were all twice as strong as you are now, none of you would stand a chance against me.” He glanced across the grove to where the pups stood cowering behind the adult female. He then turned back to the two wolves fighting him. “Allow me to prove it,” he said with a wicked grin, just before disappearing.

He reappeared beside the brown wolf and the pups, and before the others had even realized what happened, slammed the female into a nearby tree. The effect this had on Mizubuke has almost immediate.

“Seishouchi!” he called, bolting to where the other wolf had fallen, motionless.

“Wait, brother!” called Hishin, “that’s just what he wants!” Sure enough, before Mizubuke had even reached the wolf called Seishouchi, a concussive wind blast fired by Tenma slammed into the blue wolf, crashing him into another tree. At the sight of his brother falling to the ground unconscious, Hishin reacted mush as Mizubuke had. He charged at Tenma, with every intent of throttling the silver wolf, but Tenma reacted by grabbing one of the pups, the brown one from earlier, as the four tried to run away.

Hishin brought himself to a halt as Tenma placed one of his massive paws on the pup’s head and held it to the ground. This action on Tenma’s part did not escape Waizuten’s notice and the old wolf reluctantly stopped suppressing the curse mark. For Akai this meant an even more intense wave of pain than before, and he cried out again. He could not even think because the pain was so strong. The curse mark had now spread across his entire back and chest, despite Waizuten and Kazeshin’s best efforts.

“All of you,” shouted Tenma, his paw still on the little pup’s head, “cease this foolishness. If you don’t, the little one here is going to have one splitting headache.” He pushed down on the pup’s head until he whimpered loudly, struggling to break free. The silver wolf then looked at Kazeshin, who had taken up Waizuten’s task of trying to suppress the curse once the elder had stopped. “That includes you, Kazeshin, it’s foolish to try and save him. He’s already as good as dead.” For a moment, it seemed like Kazeshin was going to listen, first looking at the struggling pup then the demonic Tenma, doubt filling her eyes. But when she saw the memorial stone behind her former leader, the doubt left her eyes and she went back to suppressing the curse.

“So be it,” said Tenma upon seeing this, slipping further into insanity. He lifted his leg for just a moment in preparation for crushing the pup’s head……and received a lightning bolt to the chest. A moment later, Waizuten fell to his knees. After everything he had done to help Akai, the chakra that his attack had required had tasked him greatly, leaving him exhausted. But Tenma had been blown backward for a moment, giving the pup its chance to escape and Hishin an opening to attack. He charged forward and pinned the now weakened Tenma to the ground.

Kazeshin watched this altercation as she tended to Akai, until the young shinobi started to shake again with another wave of pain. She refocused on suppressing the curse mark, but something was wrong. Rather than crying out, Akai had gone limp, his eyes rolling into the top of his head. She frantically tried to shake and rouse him, but it was no use. After a few moments, the fang shaped marks stopped pulsating to Akai’s heartbeat and started to recede, meaning that Akai’s chakra had been completely drained. Shocked, Kazeshin, could do nothing except watch as the last of the marks coalesced at the point on Akai’s arm where Tenma had bitten him before rising like a frond of smoke and dissipating on the wind.

Waizuten and Hishin had not failed to notice Kazeshin’s distress, and they too watched as the curse mark removed itself from his lifeless body. Then, with the same kind of fury he had shown when Mizubuke had been struck down, Hishin locked his jaws around Tenma’s neck, leaving the exhausted Waizuten to watch in shock. The problem was that the last of Akai’s chakra was still swirling around the giant silver wolf, healing him. After only a moment in what should have been a death grip, Tenma stood, lifting Hishin off of the ground, and shook violently until his fire furred quarry was thrown from his back and sent flying into the memorial stone.

Stunned by Tenma’s ability to continue, and still exhausted, Waizuten could do nothing when the silver wolf appeared behind him now, also ramming him into the stone. Injured and desperate, Hishin and Waizuten stared into the eyes of their former leader, just as he did to theirs, only his were filled with a demonic insanity that defied description. Only Kazeshin, still having not moved, seemed to notice the glow that was starting to emanate from Akai’s torso.

“Now you will all die!” shouted Tenma into the night. Then, turning to face Hishin, who had broken his leg upon colliding with the memorial, he leapt forward in an attack just as Akai’s eyes opened.

A moment later, Tenma was knocked from the air. Something had slammed into his flank with the full speed of a body flicker jutsu, shattering a few of the wolf’s ribs on impact. Tenma managed to land on his feet, but was stunned when he realized it was Akai, who had ‘died’ only a moment earlier, that had struck him. The young shinobi held his bokuto at the ready and stared down the giant wolf, standing directly between him and the two injured wolves behind him.

“How did you?” started Tenma. With a shake of his head though, he added, “It doesn’t matter, you still wont beat me.” Then, quick as the wind, he leapt at Akai. Reacting instinctively, with the one weapon he had that would have any chance of stopping the crazed wolf, Akai willed a portion of his chakra into the blade of his bokuto and simultaneously willed some more to change form. In a matter of moments, he had pure wind chakra running up the edge of his blade. Realizing this as he neared Akai, Tenma used his own chakra to erect a wind barrier that would not only protect him from the shinobi’s blade but that would also serve as a battering ram, allowing him to crush the three that stood before him in one fell swoop.

Akai knew then that his jutsu, would not work. He didn’t have enough chakra to make it penetrate Tenma’s barrier. But just as he was about to give up, he felt what he could only describe as more chakra pouring into him. He looked and realized that, in spite of his broken leg, Hishin was standing tall next to him, loaning him some of his chakra. Akai turned back to Tenma as he came within Akai’s striking distance. He had one thing to say to the demon wolf.

“Suraisu Kazeken, Slicing Wind-Blade!” he shouted, swinging his bokuto forward to meet the attack. As he did, a massive blast of wind slammed into Tenma head on, shattering his wind defense and allowing Akai to make contact with his chakra sharpened blade. The force of the impact sent Tenma flying backwards, a look of absolute shock in his eyes, with a massive gash running the length of his torso. Before he even hit the ground, he disappeared in a burst of white smoke.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment