Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Areno Taka: Eyes in the Sky

Akai is now a genin and enjoying life in Konoha. But when a strange attack on his family ends with his sister's abduction, Akai will have to band together with new allies to find her.

Chapter 2 - Areno Taka: Eyes in the Sky

Chapter 2 - Areno Taka: Eyes in the Sky
As the team leapt into the trees beyond the village’s South Gate, Iruka wasted no time in establishing some order.

“Kiba, you and Akamaru move to the front,” he called, “keep both of your noses and eyes peeled for enemy activity or traps.”

“Right away, Iruka-sensei,” replied Kiba as he and his partner leapt to the front of the group.

“Temari.” He turned and met the jonin’s eyes before continuing. “You need to be right behind them. You know where this attack happened and which way your apprentice departed, so you’ll have to guide us there.”

“Of course, Iruka,” she called back, also moving to the front of the pack, “and Lee should move to the back. His speed will allow him to occasionally check behind us for ambushes and still be able to keep up.”

“I agree,” Iruka responded, before turning to glance back at Lee, “you’ve got the rear handsome devil.”

“Understood, Iruka-sensei,” Lee called with a nod as he paused for a moment to make sure all of the others passed him. Iruka watched until Lee started moving again before turning to Akai.

“Akai, you and I will stay in the center. That way we can quickly react to anything in front or behind.”

“Got it, Iruka-sensei,” replied Akai resentfully as he moved to his place in the formation. He couldn’t help but think that the real reason Iruka wanted him in the center was to keep him from breaking ranks and rushing ahead to look for Izumi. But he respected his teacher enough to stay with the team as they moved on southward, toward the site of the attack
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After three hours of nonstop travel, the team arrived at what Akai instantly realized must have been the site of the ambush. There were scorch marks all over the ground and several craters that could only have been made by paper bombs. There were two decimated wagons still smoking in the middle of the road and a pile of discarded merchandise that had apparently been moved to make room for wounded. But, what caught Akai’s attention the most was the large area of leveled trees that looked as if they had been blown over by the wind. A glanced over at Temari and didn’t have to imagine what the giant fan on her back was for.

“The scent of people is strong here,” Kiba said suddenly, turning to face the rest of the group, “how long was the clan stopped here?” He looked at Temari as he asked this.

“I’m not sure, but Toramaru told me that the Akatsuki had only wanted to talk at first. Apparently they spent at least ten minutes trying to convince the clan to give up some of its members before actually attacking, claiming that the many would be spared for the sacrifice of the few.”

“That is strange,” commented Lee, “ if that was the case, then how could the Kajihana Clan not have known that the Akatsuki would try to take captives? They should have realized that people were missing right away.”

“The Kajihana Clan is a trusting one,” Akai said in response so that all eyes were on him, “the only people we will not trust are demon-hosts. If the clan felt that the skirmish was ended quickly enough after Temari and the sand shinobi arrived, they will have believed there was no way the Akatsuki could have taken anyone.”

“That sounds about right,” said a voice from the behind the group. Akai turned around quickly to see a young kunoichi, no more than fifteen or sixteen, standing there by the edge of the road. She wore a long rust-colored over shirt with black trousers, and her shirt was decorated with strings of glass beads and what appeared to be feathers of some kind. She wore a red headband that contrasted with her long black hair and hazel eyes, but the metal plate of the hitae-ate was worn instead as a belt buckle. The symbol on it was the hourglass of Sunagakure. “Greetings, Temari-sensei.”

“Ah, Taka,” said Temari in recognition, before turning to the leaf shinobi, “no worries everyone. This is Areno Taka, my apprentice. Taka, this is Umino Iruka, Rock Lee, Inuzu…”

“I thought your apprentice was tracking the Akatsuki!?” interrupted Akai suddenly before glaring at Taka, “what is she doing here?” He was angered that the person he had been expecting to be searching for Izumi was now standing in front of him rather than racing threw the forest to find her.

“Akai,” scolded Iruka, surprised that his student was being so rude, “show some respect, you don’t know the whole situation.”

“The scolding isn’t necessary Iruka-sensei,” said Taka respectfully as Iruka finished, before turning and glancing at Akai, with an indignant expression rivaling the glare he had given her. “If he doesn’t show respect he simply wont receive it.” She then turned away from him without a second thought.

“Taka,” scolded Temari sharply, “now is not the time for that.” She paused for a moment until Taka nodded. “Why are you back here?”

“Simple,” replied Taka matter-of-factly, “I lost the trail and decided to come back here and meet you for orders. I saw you arrive as I approached and came up as quickly as I could.” Her smug attitude was getting on Akai’s nerves, which were already on edge since they were standing here talking while Izumi was being taken farther and farther away. He could not keep quiet any longer.

“Well you sure took your time letting us know you were here,” he blurted out angrily, “you couldn’t have been that far off if you saw us arrive. And what’s this about losing the trail? I thought tracking was your specialty?”

“Akai, that is enough!” interjected Lee as he stepped in front of Akai and between him and Taka, “the Akatsuki are known for being difficult to track. Even jonin have difficulty doing it. You are judging far too harshly.”

“And another thing,” added Temari as she placed a hand on Taka’s shoulder and looked Akai in the face, “Taka has vision that rivals Kiba here’s sense of smell. She likely spotted us from over a kilometer away.” Akai, stunned, looked again at Taka. The anger in his eyes quickly left when he realized that her breathing was slightly elevated, meaning that she had indeed rushed to meet them. Though no one could have seen it since he then lowered his head and stared at the ground, a look of guilt now crossed his face.

“Forgive me,” he said dejectedly, feeling that he should apologize, “I am worried about my sister and I allowed that to cloud my thinking. I meant no disrespect.”

“Your sister?” asked Taka suddenly as if surprised, though she still kept her head turned away from Akai.

“Indeed,” answered Lee, “Izumi, his older sister, is one of the captives who was taken by the Akatsuki.” A moment of silence followed this statement, during which Iruka noticed that Taka seemed to soften up a bit. Temari meanwhile was noticing that something was missing.

“Taka, where is Washime?” she asked, looking up at the now darkening sky and glancing about.

“I sent her flying ahead before I turned to come back,” Taka said as she looked at her teacher before also looking skyward, “I hoped that she would be able to find some hint of the Akatsuki, so we would have some kind of lead.”

“Who’s Washime?” asked Kiba as he also looked up, “some kind of bird?” He laid a hand on Akamaru as the two sniffed the wind.

“She is my partner,” Taka replied, looking past Akai at Kiba and Akamaru, “something like the two of you, I would assume. And yes, she is a bird, an aesthir to be exact.”

“An aesthir?” asked Kiba as he turned and looked at her, but it was Iruka that responded.

“A rare desert falcon,” he said in explanation, “particularly notable as it is known to be able to hunt night or day. Correct?” he added to Taka, who nodded.

“That explains why you sent her out earlier when it was bright out,” commented Lee, “even though you knew it would likely be dark before you found each other again.” Again Taka nodded.

“Then I suggest we start moving in that general direction until we hear from her,” said Temari as she turned to face East, but Akai, who had been standing solemnly nearest to the tree line in that direction, suddenly perked up along with Akamaru.

“Did anyone else hear that?” he asked the group as Akamaru let out a bark. A moment later, the sound of wings beating could clearly be heard over the rising din of the crickets in the woods. Taka raced over to where Akai was standing and peered into the woods. After a moment, a beautiful tan colored falcon came and landed on the kunoichi’s outstretched arm, then suddenly began issuing a series of squawks and cries that Taka listened to intently. A look of excitement crossed her face as she turned and faced the group, careful to not look directly at Akai but also not excluding him.

“Washime says she may have found the Akatsuki’s hideout,” she said as she threw up her arm and allowed the aesthir to take off. She then turned to face the woods and shouted, “Follow me!”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment