Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Splitting Up: Balance at a Risk

Akai is now a genin and enjoying life in Konoha. But when a strange attack on his family ends with his sister's abduction, Akai will have to band together with new allies to find her.

Chapter 3 - Splitting Up: Balance at a Risk

Chapter 3 - Splitting Up: Balance at a Risk
Midnight. The moon high in the sky with few clouds to obscure it and a chill wind blowing out of the south. Akai and the other members of the rescue team have followed Washime to the edge of a large crater valley, deep in the forests of the Land of Fire. The team stops for a moment to rest and plan their next course of action.

“This valley is huge!” exclaimed Kiba as he examined the crater from the cliff top, “it must be at least twice as big as the Valley of the Bikochu!”

“Well, I estimate that it’s about twenty kilometers in diameter,” agreed Iruka, “the same size as the 44th Battle Training Zone back in Konoha.” He turned to face Taka. “Are you sure this is where they are hiding?”

“Washime followed their trail here before losing it in the valley,” Taka confirmed with a quick glance at Washime, who was circling in the dark sky above, “then she circled the valley and found no signs of them having left by a different path.” She paused for a moment as Washime let out a piercing cry, after which Taka nodded. “She says that the edges of the valley are still undisturbed, they have not left yet.” After hearing this Akai looked down over the valley below him. His sister was somewhere down there.

“So now we must decide if we are to wait for the Neju Shotai or not,” stated Lee, looking around at the gathered shinobi. His eyes stopped when they reached Temari, because as a jonin she was the highest ranked person there. Temari stayed silent for a moment, assessing the situation in her head.

“We do not wait,” she said finally, standing and facing the ninja gathered around her, “we still do not know the exact location of the Akatsuki, only a possible area. Since we have two trackers,” she paused and motioned toward Kiba and Taka, “we will split into two three-man squads. Iruka, you will take Kiba and Lee and search the southern part of the valley, while I take Taka and Akai to search the northern half.” She looked at Iruka as she said this, who was suddenly skeptical.

“Are you sure you don’t want to take Lee and I will take Akai?” he asked glancing at both Taka and Akai, “Taka and Akai have not gotten along very well since we started this mission.” Indeed, for the duration of the trip from the ambush site to here, Akai had been too guilt ridden to speak to Taka, who in turn had been too proud to speak to Akai. A lack of communication would not be good for the squad.

“I realize that, Iruka, but I want our teams to be balanced and they will have to get over it soon enough anyways so they might as well get started now.” She turned and faced the two genin, leaving Iruka with a still skeptical look on his face. “Look, can you two agree to cooperate at least for the sake of this mission and the innocent people involved?” Taka and Akai turned and stared each other in the face.

“Like I said before,” Akai said, “I am sorry for being rude, whether you accept that apology or not. But I would like your help in finding my sister,” he added, and Taka stunned momentarily by the intensity that had returned to his eyes.

“I will help you,” she replied to him calmly, “for your sister’s sake. You will still have to earn my respect after this.” She looked him in the eye to gauge his response

“I thank you for that, and I pledge to do what I can to regain your respect after this mission has been completed.” As Iruka watched this exchange he relaxed a bit. He could see that the two genin were very different in many ways, but also that they were a lot alike. He knew he could count on the two to keep their word that they would cooperate.

“Well let’s get to it, then,” shouted Kiba. A moment later the six shinobi leapt from the cliff to the valley floor below.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment