Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Spirit of Fire: The Phoenix Takes Wing

Back in Konoha, trouble is brewing. Flames of strife and prejudice wrack the Kajihana Clan. Will anything rise from the ashes?

Chapter 5 - Spirit of Fire: The Phoenix Takes Wing

Chapter 5 - Spirit of Fire: The Phoenix Takes Wing
“A forest guardian?” asked Izumi, confused, “why would the Akatsuki want a forest guardian to fight for them?”

“They didn’t and they don’t,” replied Morijittai, drawing Izumi’s attention, “they simply didn’t want Konohagakure to have me either.”

“What do you mean?” Izumi asked, more confused than before.

“I was the guardian spirit for the forest immediately surrounding Konoha,” responded the kirin, “and the Akatsuki apparently do not want there to be a guardian in that forest, so they tried to kill me the only way they knew how. By sealing me inside a host then subsequently killing that host. If they had succeeded, my forest would now be without a guardian for at least the next decade.”

“How is that?”

“When a guardian spirit is killed,” continued Morijittai, “the other spirits in the spirit world instinctively know it has happened but not how it happened. They will remain away from the spirit’s post for a long time, for fear of whatever killed the spirit, leaving the responsibilities of that spirit unfulfilled.”

“But since you didn’t die, you’re still the guardian, right?” As soon as she asked the question, a sense of grief filled Izumi, and she knew it was Morijittai’s grief. “What’s wrong, Morijittai?” The kirin paused a moment before responding.

“When a spirit leaves its post for any reason other than death,” she said, “the other spirits take it as an act of desertion, of the spirit choosing to become a rogue demon rather than fulfill its duties. Since I am sealed inside you, I can no longer fulfill my duties as a guardian spirit; and since I did not die, I have been branded a deserter. Another spirit has taken my place and I have been exiled from the spirit world. I will never be able to go back even if I were not bound to you now.” She hung her head as she finished, staring at the water that was so symbolic of her situation. It existed here in this dark realm, but it served no purpose other than the nourishment of the surrounding plants. It could not move about, could not flow elsewhere, could not escape. Izumi, despite the waves of grief she was feeling from Morijittai, could not help but feel sympathy for the trapped kirin. Morijittai looked up, as if the exchange of emotion worked both ways and she could feel Izumi’s sympathy for her.

“Do not feel sorry for me,” she said to Izumi, “I chose this. I could have allowed myself to die and not be in this situation. You on the other hand were forced into this. I felt it was my responsibility to at least keep you from dying for something you had no hand in or understanding of. You are the one who deserves the sympathy.”

“That is not true,” replied Izumi forcefully, catching the kirin by surprise, “it’s not your fault that the Akatsuki wanted to remove you from your duties. It is not your fault that the other spirits branded you a traitor for simply saving me, for being the guardian you‘re supposed to be. We both lost our old lives thanks to the Akatsuki, not just me. You deserve just as much sympathy as I do.” Izumi could tell that her words had gotten through to Morijittai, as she felt waves of what could only be described as disbelief pouring from the kirin.

“You truly believe that?” asked Morijittai, stunned by Izumi’s words.

“I do. I don’t think I’m any more special than anyone else.” Izumi stood tall as she said this, and the kirin could feel the truth of her words. She remained silent, still too stunned to speak. Izumi could feel after a few moments that Morijittai was starting to believe her. A new feeling sprang up between the two of them, and each knew instantly what it was: trust.

“If you would be willing to work with me,” said Izumi suddenly, catching Morijittai’s attention, “I think I have finally realized a purpose that the two of us can fulfill together.” Morijittai could feel Izumi’s excitement at the idea.

“If it is something that both of us can do,” she replied, though she already knew it was, “then I would be more than happy to work with you, Izumi.” Then the kirin gave a slight smile when Izumi felt something tap her on the shoulder. Izumi turned around, but she found nothing there. She felt another tap on the shoulder, more forceful this time, but again there was no one there when she looked.

“What’s going on?” she asked in shock as she felt a sensation like she was being roughly shaken.

“Izumi, relax,” said Morijittai with a slight chuckle, “right now we’re inside your mind. What you’re feeling right now is your brother, Akai, trying to wake you up. To him you appear to be unconscious.” The kirin felt a wave a relief pour from Izumi, and she let out another chuckle. “Just relax and close your eyes.” Izumi closed her eyes and tried to relax, but something stopped her and she opened her eyes again.

“Will I be able to speak to you again?” she asked Morijittai, who just smiled.

“Now that you know I’m here, you should be able to speak to me whenever you like.”

“Okay, thanks, Morijittai.” With that she closed her eyes and relaxed. She felt as if she was falling asleep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on, Izumi, wake up!” Akai practically shouted as he shook his unconscious sister’s shoulder. He had left Izumi to her self for several hours, and had come out to check on her only to find her sleeping under one of the cherry-blossom trees. He had been trying to wake her for several minutes.

“Let me see,” said Sakura as she knelt down on the ground next to him and placed a hand on Izumi’s neck. She had come with Akai to check on Izumi. “Her pulse is strong. I’m not sure what the problem is.” She pulled off her right glove and gathered chakra to her right hand for the Mystic Palm Jutsu, but before she could even place it on Izumi’s forehead, the girl started to stir. After a moment she opened her eyes and stared at Akai, blinking away the bright light.

“Oh, Izumi,” said Akai as he wrapped her in a hug, “don’t scare me like that. I thought you were dying.” He held her tight for a moment before releasing her and letting her sit up.

“I’m fine, Akai,” Izumi said, “ I’m sorry for scaring you. I was just out here thinking and I guess I fell asleep.” She glanced over at the pool in the courtyard, remembering what had actually happened, but she wasn’t ready to mention that yet. She looked back at Akai and noticed the skeptical look on his face. “I’m fine, really.”

“Okay,” Akai replied, “if you say so.” He looked up at the sky, where the sun was approaching its zenith, before speaking again. “How about we all head inside. Kawaii’s preparing lunch and it’s getting hot out here.” He stood and offered a hand to each of the girls. Sakura accepted it and he helped her stand up, but Izumi decided to get up on her own, catching Akai by surprise. She swayed a bit when she got to her feet, but held out a hand to stop Akai when he tried to help her.

“Don’t worry,” she told him, “I just got up too fast.”

“Is there anything we can do for you?” asked Sakura with a concerned look on her face, “get you some water or something?” Izumi glanced at her and a look of excitement suddenly crossed her face.

“No, I don’t need anything,” she said, staring at Sakura, “but you can help me with something else.” Sakura was confused by this.

“Why me, specifically?” she asked Izumi.

“I want to go speak with the Hokage,” she replied, surprising both Akai and Sakura.

“Why?” Akai asked.

“I know this might sound crazy,” Izumi said in return, a smile on her face, “but I want to ask her if I can become a shinobi.” Akai and Sakura were both stunned by this announcement.

“What?” asked Akai, “You’ve never wanted to be a ninja before! Why the sudden change?”

“I’m not sure,” Izumi replied, “but I feel like that’s what I want to do now. I’m really considering being a medic-nin, since I’m already knowledgeable with herbal medicine. I feel like that’s what I have that I can do for the village, and I have to do something.” She stood tall as she said this, and Sakura and Akai exchanged stunned glances.

“Well, I can take you to see Lady Tsunade,” said Sakura, still shocked, “she has been worried about you ever since the Kajihana Clan left. She very well might give you a chance like she gave Akai.”

“Really?” asked Izumi, excitement in her eyes once again.

“Yeah,” replied Sakura, “but she’s busy right now, so we’ll have to wait until this afternoon.”

“Okay, I can handle that,” said Izumi with a smile on her face. She then turned to head back into the inn and Akai and Sakura followed.

“You’re sure this is what you want, sis?” asked Akai as they approached the doorway.

“Yes, Akai, I’m sure.”

“Well, if that’s really what you want, then go for it,” Akai said back, “who knows, maybe the Seishou Clan will become a clan of shinobi after all.”

“The day that happens will truly be a great day for Konoha,” said a nearby voice, and the trio turned to see Lee walking toward them on his hands. Izumi laughed at the sight, her first real laugh since before the Akatsuki attack. “What is so funny?” Lee asked as he did a back flip onto his feet, wincing as he landed on his still injured leg.

“Nothing, Lee,” Izumi replied, wiping tears from her eyes and clutching her chest from laughing so hard. Then she took a deep breath to calm herself down and reached into one of her pockets, pulling out a small glass case that was divided into three individual sections, each containing a sage-colored pill. “But thanks anyways for the laugh, I needed it. Here, I wanted to give you these.” She held the case out to Lee.

“What are they?” he asked as he accepted the case.

“They’re Morichiyu Pills,” answered Akai, who recognized the little green orbs, “they’re an herbal pill that stimulate the body’s immune system, accelerating the natural healing process.” He looked up at Izumi in surprise. “They’re a medicine Izumi developed when we were still part of the Kajihana Clan, and she’s never given them to anyone other than clan members.”

“I wanted to repay you for getting me back here to Konoha in time,” Izumi said to Lee with a slight bow, “and since the injuries you incurred doing so have still yet to fully heal, I decided this would be a good way to do that.” Lee looked at Izumi for a moment before giving her a deep bow.

“My actions were nothing, I would repeat them over and over again if I had to. But I am honored that you would present me with such a gift.” He stood up straight and met Izumi’s gaze. “Thank you.”

“So you developed the Morichiyu Pills?” asked Sakura, impressed. “I’d heard rumors about the Kajihana Clan’s secret healing treatment, but I didn’t think it could have been developed by a non-shinobi.” She then glanced over at Akai. “First Akai shows up with scrolls for A-rank jutsu that he made, and now you’re saying that you developed a highly effective, ninja level medicine? It seems the Seishou Clan has some pretty special individuals.”

“My thoughts exactly,” agreed Lee.

“Stop it, guys,” said Akai with mock embarrassment.

“Yeah, we’re not that special,” added Izumi, remembering what she had told Morijittai, “we’re just like everyone else.”

“Lunch is ready, everyone!” called Izumi from the kitchen, “come and get it!”

“Yes!” shouted Lee as he flipped back onto his hands and turned to look up at the others, “anyone want to race?”

“You’re on!” shouted Akai and the four took off down the hall toward the kitchen, laughing as they went.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though sealed inside of Izumi, Morijittai remained aware of her surroundings and had watched Izumi since waking up in the courtyard.

*You might not think you’re very special, Izumi,* the kirin thought to herself, *but you are. Not many people could have had their whole world taken from them so suddenly and then be able to laugh with others so easily afterward. Even fewer can say that they would ever become friends with a spirit that was sealed inside them, in the face of such prejudice as you have seen. But here you are, your heart and spirit burning more brightly than it ever has before. You are more special than you know.*

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

tinystarkitten on May 2, 2008, 11:09:50 AM

tinystarkitten on
tinystarkittenYey! Happy ending >w<

I have one question, do you proofread your chapters before you post them? I'm saying anything bad, but I have noticed a few minor misspellings and such that make me think that you may not have read through after writing that chapter. It's nothing big, Just something I noticed. You might want to proofread and try and catch those in the future