Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Blaze, the young warrior

In a world where animals speak and act like humans, a cat named Blaze is the heir to the leader of his home. However, a dark threat is lurking, and Blaze will have to master the ways of his father's mysterous sword if they are to survive.

Chapter 2 - Blaze, the young warrior

Chapter 2 - Blaze, the young warrior
CHAPTER 1[/size]


It was the first morning of spring. The sun was rising over the forest, illuminating the land with an orange glow. For the first day in months, the sunrise bought with it the warm weather, which all the creatures of the forest had been longing for. Even the birds were cheerful, sharing their joyful spring song for all to hear.
In the midst of the forest was a lake, the sparkling water was reflected a deep orange from the sun. Sitting on the edge of this lake was a young, sturdily built cat with light brown tabby fur. His amber eyes were like a flame; he had unmistakably inherited them from his father. Next to him was his younger sister, a little bundle of fluff. She was a little tortishell kitten, hardly older than a few seasons.
"Blaze, 'ow long is it takin to catchin da fishy?" The younger of the two asked.
"Now, now Rusty, to catch a fish you must be patient." The older cat named Blaze answered.
"Ohhhh but its takin fa evar!" Rusty complained, "Maybe dares no fishies inna lake?"
"Patience is the key." Blaze answered, not turning to look at his younger sister.
He was concentrating on the lake. His plan had been to get up nice and early and catch a big fish for the spring feast. He had wanted to sneak out so no one would know of it, and then he could surprise the others when he got back. He used the back wall to sneak out, using the rampart ladders to get to the top of the wall. There was a thick tree branch that hung low over the wall, which he had used many times before to sneak out. The only problem was, the two fishing nets he had been carrying were too heavy to get over the wall, and it was enough that he had the fishing rod with him as well. He decided to leave the nets on the inside of the wall, and since it was behind the main building, it was unlikely that anyone would notice. Carrying the fishing rod in one paw, he had carefully made his way onto the over hanging branch to climb down safely to the bottom. He must have been too noisy, because his younger sister had heard him and followed him to the lake. He didn't even know he was being followed until he had cast his line. A loud 'Wat ya doin?' surprised and shocked him and he had nearly fallen into the lake. He had turned around and there was Rusty, staring at him wide-eyed. He hesitated, but eventually told her his plans of catching a fish. There was no way around it. Now, staring at the stillness of the lake, he started to think like his sister.
This is taking a long time. Maybe there is no fish in the lake. I've failed at even the easiest of tasks. I'm nothing like my father, I'll never get anything right.
Blaze started to feel disappointed. He had let his thoughts get to him over the past few seasons. His father, Russetfur, was the leader of the cat clan that he lived in. He was the most courageous, strongest and most selfless cat that anyone had ever known. He had become victorious in many battles though out his long life. That was why every cat looked up to him. Blaze had found it hard to believe that he was kin to such a brave warrior.
Blaze reached into the pocket of his red clothes and pulled out a shining piece of amber. He stared at its shinning orange surface, and was lost in its beauty. This gem was his lucky stone, and he took it with him where ever he went. It meant a lot to him, as it had saved him when he was just an infant. He had ran away from home using the same escape route he still uses, as his mother had just scolded him for sticking his paw into the cream cake she had just baked.
Tired, scared, and lost in the forest, he sat down and cried, until a huge brown snake had snuck up on him. Eyes round with fear, he had tried to run, but tripped over and fell. With the snake advancing on him, he groped quickly around the floor for something to protect him. Feeling something sharp, he pulled an amber stone out the ground, and held it tightly in his paw. Blaze could remember seeing the huge white fangs looming over his head, dripping with venom. The snake went for the kill, and then went limp over Blazes body as he was struck in the chest with the sharp orange jewel. Blaze crawled out from the snake's body and pulled out the gemstone.
He had still been shaking with fear when the elders had found him a few minutes later next to the snake's body. The noise had alerted them to his position, and was taken home to the delight of his worried mother.
Suddenly, a stir in the water's surface brought him out of his thoughts. Thanking the stones luck, he shoved it back in his pocket and stood up promptly, ready for anything.
Rusty jumped up and down exclaiming, "Lookie ther! Musta be a big fishy!"
Blaze didn't answer. He was concerned about what was in the lake. On the waters surface, there were ripples of what looked like mini waves, heading towards the bank. The movement on the lake suddenly ceased. Whatever it was must have gone back down to the depths of the lake. But that was not the case. The lake monster grabbed onto Blazes fishing line, and with great strength, started pulling it underwater. Without hesitation, Blaze started to reel it in, but it was too big.
"Rusty! Help me! Pull!" The struggling cat yowled.
Rusty clasped her little paws around Blaze's tail and pulled.
"Oooowww not my tail!!! Grab my waist and pull!!"
Rusty did as she was told. Even though the little cat didn't help much, it was just enough to help real the creature in closer to the bank. Blaze's amber eyes shone like fire with determination. He wasn't about to let it get away. With one mighty heave, a massive fish flew out of the water, crashing into the shocked cats and knocking them of their paws.
Blaze stood up, heaving the massive fish off of him. It was way bigger than any fish he had seen before. It would feed the whole clan! He helped Rusty to stand up and brushed the dirt off of her fur.
"We should start heading back home with this fish. They'll be so happy!" Blaze meowed excitingly. He couldn't wait to get back home and see the faces of the cats, especially his father.
"Can I carry da fishy? Pleeeeaaaase!" Rusty meowed, grasping her paws around the fish. She couldn't move it however. It was a lot bigger than she was.
Blaze let out a little purr of laughter.
"I think it would best if I carry it back, Rusty. Here, why don't you carry my fishing rod? It would help me at lot. I'm sure it will be no trouble for a strong cat like you. Why, your so strong, you even helped me pull this huge fish out of the water!"
Rusty's brilliant green eyes shone with happiness at the compliment.
"Oh it waz no twoubles at all! Dat fishy waz no mach for me! I'll carry da fishin rod den. I'm bein wery hewlpfull today!"
With that she ran to get the fishing rod that had fallen out of Blaze's paws, and picked it up. It was quite heavy but Rusty didn't say a word. She wanted to carry it home and make Blaze proud of her.
Together they made their way home, Blaze carrying the fish and Rusty carrying the rod. They both felt really proud of their achievements.

~
[/size][/b]

The home of the wildcats lay due east of the lake. It was a huge stone building, built on the tallest hill, which towered over the tallest trees. The cat's ancestors had built this magnificent home many seasons ago, when the elder's grandparents were children. It was made out of red stone blocks, which had been mined out of the nearby quarry. Surrounding the castle-like building was a stonewall, which was there to protect it from invaders. The only entrance to the inside was through the main gate; strong iron bars that could be bolted shut, making it nearly impossible for anyone not welcome to enter.
Standing next the main gate was a pale apricot she-cat. She had a worried expression on her face, and was looking out into the forest through the iron bars of the gate. A dark brown tomcat stepped outside of the building and strode over to meet the apricot cat. He was huge and muscular, a lot bigger than all the cats that lived here. He put his paw on she-cats shoulder and moved around to face her. He saw the concerned look on the pretty cats face, and wondered what was the matter.
"Rosie" the brown cat meowed quietly. "What is upsetting you? I've been looking for you all morning."
Rosie looked into the amber eyes of her husband, then turned her head to continue looking out into the forest. "Oh Russetfur its terrible. Blaze and Rusty are not here. I woke this morning and found their beds cold. They must have been gone for a while." Russetfur thought for a moment. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't seen them all morning. He had been really busy with his leader's duties, and hadn't noticed.
"I'm really worried Russetfur. Anything could have happened to them, and what about little Rusty, she's too young to be in the forest by herself."
"She's not by herself." Russetfur meowed soothingly "She would be with Blaze. He'll take good care of her. Those two are closer than two peas in a pod."
Rosie turned to look at Russetfur once more "I dearly hope that you're right"
Russetfur gazed into his wife's beautiful green eyes. He embraced her in his arms and gave her a reassuring hug.
"Blaze is a strong cat, and one day he will follow in my paw steps and become a great warrior and leader. He's getting older now Rosie, he's not a kitten any more. He can look after himself. You must stop worrying over him. He's probably gone with Rusty for a walk through the forest. They'll be home soon, I'm sure."
"I hope your right Russetfur." Rosie still was not entirely convinced.
Russetfur faced his wife and still saw the same look of worry upon her face. A single tear fell down her face. He wiped it away with his claw; he didn't like seeing her like this. "I know I'm right. You're not doing yourself any good standing out here in the heat. Why don't you come inside and have something to eat, those two will be back soon. I can't see them skipping breakfast!"
Rosie started to feel assured and her husband's confidence. "Alright Russetfur, I trust your words, but can you at least ask the guards to keep a look out for them?"
Russetfur was glad that he had convinced her. "Sure Rosie, anything to ease your mind." He gestured to the two sentries standing on the wall ramparts to come and talk to him. The sentries turned their heads and climbed down the wall.
"Kestrel, Boulder, it's my wifes wish that you keep a look out for Blaze and Rusty. When you see them, let them in and send them straight to me." Russetfur instructed them. "Afterwards, you can then have some breakfast, then you can take the whole day off."
The pure brown cat-guard named Boulder nodded his head while Kestrel spoke, "Thank you kindly Russetfur. We will keep a lookout for your son and daughter." They gave a respectful bow of their head, then turned and made their way up the ladder and onto the wall once more.
After watching them go back to duty, Russetfur turned to his wife.
"Come now." He meowed gently. Together, paw in paw, they made their way to the main building.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

wagz20 on October 20, 2008, 7:20:47 AM

wagz20 on
wagz20man, i really need to catch up with this.

i guess it's just a pretty calm start, it's just introducing some characters and their personalties such as Blaze and his family (his dad sounds cool)as well as the setting. that little Rusty is a trip! ^_^ i like what ya did with her speech.

So very good intro, hope more happens next chapter, but the important thing is they caught da huge fishy! XD

darkwolf333 on October 9, 2008, 11:25:50 AM

darkwolf333 on
darkwolf333Nicley written. If It was a real book, I'd read it. You should publish i was thinking this when I read first chapter

AtomicMoat on July 27, 2008, 10:42:14 PM

AtomicMoat on
AtomicMoatreally well written looking forward to teh rest of it

FizzyG on June 6, 2008, 8:57:43 PM

FizzyG on
FizzyGawwww!
i think its so sweet Rosie and Russetfur
its nice the way the story started out and then turned into a calm moments piece
its so good!honestly
it should be a published book its so good! awesome job!