Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Russetfur's Preminition

In a world where animals speak and act like humans, a cat named Blaze is the heir to the leader of his home. However, a dark threat is lurking, and Blaze will have to master the ways of his father's mysterous sword if they are to survive.

Chapter 3 - Russetfur's Preminition

Chapter 3 - Russetfur's Preminition
CHAPTER 2[/b]

It was noon by the time the cats made it home. Blaze was starting to feel worried, as it had taken them both far to long to get home. Rusty had sat down for a rest, and wouldn't move. Blaze couldn't have left her there by her self, so he had stayed with her until she was ready to go. The huge fish Blaze was carrying didn't help them to go any faster either. He knew that his mother would be fretting about them, especially since he had Rusty with him. They were both standing just outside the gates, waiting to be let in by the guards.
"Blaze, Rusty!" A voice yelled from above. Blaze looked upwards to see Kestrel and Boulder on the ramparts calling to them.
"Where did you two young ones get of to? Your mother has been worried sick!" Boulder meowed fairly loud. It was hard to hear the sentries on the wall top but Blaze got the message quite clearly. Kestrel and Boulder climbed down from the wall and opened the gates from the inside. It took all their strength to pull the massive gates open. Blaze walked through the gates with Rusty not far behind. Rusty was now dragging the fishing rod behind her. She flopped down against the inner wall and rested once more; she wasn't used to such long walks.
As Kestrel and Boulder greeted them, they noticed the fish Blaze was carrying. "Well that explains where you have been" Kestrel meowed to Blaze "But you shouldn't have wondered off by yourselves, especially with your younger sister. I was watching her struggling to carry that fishing rod; you didn't take her just to carry your possessions did you? She's exhausted." Blaze was taken aback. He had only wanted to catch the fish for the spring feast. He never meant any harm.
"I just thought that I would help out with the spring feast. Rusty wanted to ca-" Blaze began, but Kestrel interrupted him. "Never mind explaining to us, your father wishes that you go speak to him immediately." Kestrel meowed sternly
When Kestrel had finished, Boulder moved closer to Blaze and meowed quietly so only he could hear, "Never mind Kestrel, she's known to have a sharp tongue. I think it's amazing that you and Rusty caught that fish by yourselves. Even skilled fisher-cats have trouble pulling that stunt off. That fish you hold in your paws is huge! The chef would love to prepare it for the feast tonight."
Kestrel moved closer and stood by Boulder "Well as long as you two have stopped chattering, these two trouble makers need to see their father." She flicked her tail towards Blaze, signalling that they were excused. She then went back to the ladder and climbed back to the wall.
"You better go and see your father." Boulder meowed "We will see you when our duty has finished. Since the feast will be held tonight, your father will let us rest early." He then turned and ran to meet kestrel on the wall top.
Blaze's stomach churned at the sound of food. He and Rusty hadn't eaten all morning, and holding a big, juicy fish in his paws wasn't helping either. Blaze decided that the quicker he saw his father, the quicker he could eat. He moved over to were rusty was sitting, the rod on the ground next to her.
"Rusty, we have to go and see father, he wants to talk to us." Blaze meowed "We best go now or he'll get angry at us for keeping him waiting." Blaze started walking towards the main building. Rusty was still tired, but she stood up and dragged the fishing rod behind her. She was way behind her brother, so she started to unsteadily run to catch up. The rod got in the way of Rustys paws, and tripped her up. It sent her ears over tail, and then flat on her stomach. She let out a surprised cry as she did so. Blaze heard the little cat's squeal and turned to see Rusty sitting up, nursing her paw. He dropped the fish where he was standing and ran over to help his sister up. She was covered in dirt and mud, but she wasn't hurt seriously in any way.
"Oooowww my hewting paw! I awmost died!" Rusty wailed to her brother
"Rusty your fine, an aching paw we can fix, but if it had been more serious, we might not have. You have to be more careful in the future." Blaze meowed. "Here, let me carry the rod."
"But I wanna carri da fishy rod!" Rusty whined.
"Alright Rusty I'll let you carry the rod, but you must leave it with father when we meet him, he'll put it back to were it belongs." Blaze didn't feel like arguing with Rusty, especially when he was already in trouble. This time he walked at a slower pace, with Rusty by his side. Momentarily stopping, he picked up the fallen fish, and then continued walking.
They reached the main building; its huge wooden doors wide open. Through the doors was a giant room, which cats called the hall. It was long and narrow, with a massive table the same shape. The table was large enough to accommodate the whole cat clan at once. Stepping through the door, Blaze's tummy rumbled once again. The sweet smell of honey floated in the air. How he longed to be sitting amongst the cats and eating what they were. He pushed that thought behind him as he and Rusty strode over to a dark grey cat at the table.
"Hey Smokey! Have you seen my father around?" Blaze was glad to see Smokey. Apart from being the happiest and most caring cat he knew, he was also his best friend.
"Myehs min a mitcen" Smokey meowed through mouthful of honey soaked bread.
"What? It's a little hard to understand you when you're with your mouth just about exploding with food! Look, it's even dribbling down your chin!" Blaze meowed with a hint of amusement. Smokey let out sigh and swallowed his food. Wiping his chin with his paw, he mewed,
"I said he's in the kitchen. He went in their not long ago. Must be arranging the spring feast with the head ch... Whoa! That's some big fish you've got there! Can I have it?" Smokey's mouth watered at the sight of the fish.
He loves his food all right, thought Blaze, letting out a purr.
"What are you laughing at?!" Smokey meowed, tilting his head to the side.
"Just thinking about how much you love your food. Smokey, you couldn't last five minutes without the stuff!" Blaze tried to hide back his laughter. "And as for the fish, you can have some tonight at the feast, but not all of it!"
"Huwwy up and stop tawkin we gots to see daddy!" Blaze had almost forgotten Rusty was there until he heard her voice.
"Oh I almost forgot! See ya Smokey I got to go. Come on Rusty." He gestured to Rusty to follow. Smokey said good-bye then continued on eating his breakfast.
On the right of hall was the kitchen. There were so many doors leading of from the hall that it was surprising that Blaze remembered which one was the kitchen. Although the big sign on the door with 'KITCHEN' written on it probably helped. They opened the door to find Russetfur and Dinn, the head chef, sitting at a small table discussing issues. Dinn's peculiar accent rang through the kitchen.
"Oh I jus' don' know wadda cook for de main corse. Russe'fur, wha' wud you like?"
Dinn and Russetfur looked up at the sound of the door opening. "But I don' think 'tis gonna be a problem no more. Look wha' your son 's brough' in!" He stood up and ran over to Blaze. He grabbed the fish and checked it over.
"Why, dis fish is 'uge! I 'aven't seen one like it in years! I 'ave to get star'ed on it righ' away!" He ran of to the other side of the kitchen and started to prepare it. Russetfur stood up and walked over to Blaze. He looked at Rusty and saw the rod in her paws.
"Rusty leave that here, I'll put it away later. Go and see your mother, she's in the nursery. Get her to fetch you something to eat. Run along now." Russetfur's voice was calm. It was hard to tell wether or not he was angry. Rusty turned to glance at Blaze then walked out the kitchen. Russetfur turned to face his son, no expression on his face at all. "Follow me Blaze. We will go to my chamber were we are alone. We need to talk." With that, he walked out the kitchen. Blaze stood there for a moment, puzzled at his father's behaviour.
He decided that it would be best to follow him. He walked out the kitchen and followed his father to the end of the hall. At the head of the room, was a door, much bigger than the rest. Through this door was a spiral staircase, leading to the tallest room in the building, his father's chamber. The stairs seemed to go on forever, and Blaze was starting to feel tired by the time he got to the top. His father was already there and seated in his huge red armchair. In front of him was a small table with a tray of food and drink.
"Blaze, come and sit down" Russetfur gestured to another armchair on the opposite side of the table. Blaze slowly moved over to the chair and sat down. It was a deep red velvet colour, and felt wonderful to sit in. He hadn't been in this room since he was very little, and since then it had seemed to have changed. His father rarely let creatures in his chamber, and when he did, the reason would have to be very important. He gazed at the large room in awe. The walls were full of hanging paintings; most of then were portraits of earlier leaders. Positioned at the end of the long line of paintings, was a picture of his father. He was holding his magnificent silver sword in one paw. His amber eyes were so intense, that they seemed to burn a hole right though him with their unmoving glare. At the opposite end of the room was his fathers bed, in which the same sword lent upright against the end of it. Russetfur pushed the food towards blaze
"Here, eat this. There's wine their as well if you fancy it." Blaze had to process what his father had just said. Wine? For him? He had never had the drink before, partly because he was too young. He looked at his father to see if he had been mistaken, but he said nothing. Instead, he was eating breakfast, still with the expressionless look upon his face. It wasn't going to do him any good starving, so he started to eat what his father had given him. It was delicious; the same honey soaked bread Smokey was eating earlier and fresh fruit salad.
He gazed at the wine thirstily. He wasn't sure wether to drink it or not, considering he didn't no what it tasted like. He looked across the table at his father. He was sipping some wine out of a gold cup studded with jewels.
Father's drinking it so it must taste good" he thought.
His thirst got the better of him, so he picked up the beaker and pored himself a cupful. He brought the cup to his lips and took a cautious sip. It was much better than he had expected. It was delicious; cool, dark, and sweet, yet besides this, a feeling he had never felt before swept over him. He felt much older than he had before.
This is what adulthood feels like. I might like it better than I thought.
He drank the rest very quickly. His hunger and thirst now satisfied, he looked up to face his father. He too had finished his meal.
"Father," he started out shakily. "I'm sorry for what I did today. I meant-"
Blaze hadn't finished when his father held up his paw to silence him.
"Blaze. You are a young cat with a warrior's spirit way beyond your age. You have no need to either explain or apologise to me. I new since you were a young one that you were a born warrior." Blaze wasn't sure what his father was talking about. It's not like he had won a battle or something similar. All he had done was catch a fish without permission.
"Today your sneaking out without permission, tomorrow, you could be leader. What I'm trying to say is son, is that I'm not going to be around forever. You are my son, therefore, the next leader in line to rule this clan. I'm not as young as I used to be Blaze, and any day now, trouble will come to the forest, and it may claim my life."
Blaze could keep silent no longer. What was his father talking about? He hadn't heard him sound so serious in all his life.
"Father, I think I might have missed something. How do you know that this is what will happen?" He had a million questions to ask, but he thought better of it.
His father let out a deep sigh, and relaxed into his chair.
"This may come as a shock to you, Blaze. I understand if you choose not to believe me, but before you do so, I want you to listen to what I have to say."
Blaze saw that his father had a troubled look across his face, one of which he hadn't seen to often.
"Two nights ago I experienced of what I believe was a premonition." Russetfur paused briefly and took a deep sip of his wine. He wasn't sure how to make sense of what he had seen.
"It was a terrifying dream which had seemed so real. I woke up sweating and sore all over. In it, I saw a horde of creatures; each with weapons, marching to a destination that none seemed sure about. The leader was a huge wild dog; unlike any I have encountered. He was horrible; blood, dirt, dust, covering his whole body. It was so real, I could even smell the scent of blood hanging about the air. The leader was directing his horde towards a land of plenty; a land of which I believe is surrounding us. Our home."
"I am starting to worry; they said they would arrive in two days time, which is tonight."
"Father, why haven't you warned any one? Surely we need to be ready. We need to warn all of our clan of the coming danger! We are under threat, and you have done nothing!" Blaze, who hadn't spoken thought his speech, suddenly stood up and yelled.
After he finished, he realized what he had done, and sank back slowly into his seat.
"I-I-I'm sorry father. I didn't think.Not the first time either, Blaze thought.
"Once again, don't apologize; it is not your fault. The blood of your warrior ancestors runs through your veins, and I can tell that you are eager to protect the clan. But think young one, is it wise to head straight into battle, without no plan or no strategy? This battle is just not making any sense. Should I follow my instincts and plan for a battle that I don't know will happen? Or should I pass it of as just another dream. I didn't tell anyone about it, for fear that they wouldn't believe me. Who's ever heard of a cat that can see the future? Not me, or at least not until a few nights ago. No one will believe me." For the first time Blaze could remember, his father looked weak and frail. His head looked down in defeat, not something that he would expect of his father. He must really be confused about this. Why else would such a strong and noble leader break down like this?
"No father." Blaze stated firmly. "I believe you"
Russetfur looked up, surprised at his son's words.
"Blaze, all I want to do is protect the clan, and I'm not about to let anyone harm it. I have no fear of dying. I will pay the cost of my life to protect what I love; and I'm sure that I will. I have seen my destiny, and I can't change that." Blaze saw a glint of sorrow in his father's eyes, but at the same time, determination. What he had just said reflected both of these. It was as if he new that his end was near. He shook that thought away like an annoying bug. How could he possibly imagine life without him?
"I understand." Blaze told his father.
"Thank you Blaze, for everything. I new I could trust you. I will make an announcement at the feast tonight about what we have spoken about. I wont tell about the dream, I'll just generally give them a warning. You'll see what I mean later. For now, you should go and get some rest, you deserve it." Blaze stood out of his chair and bowed his head in respect.
"Thank you for giving me your trust. It means a lot to me." Blaze felt a stab of worry hit his gut, but at the same time, he felt great. All doubt left him for good, and he felt stronger than he had ever been. All that he had needed to build his confidence was trust. He strode out of the chamber proudly, his father watching him leave.
"Be strong, young warrior." Russetfur whispered. "You have some tough times ahead of you. I know I didn't tell you all the truth, but I know you will pull through once I leave this world forever."

Comments

Comments (5)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

wagz20 on October 20, 2008, 7:29:16 AM

wagz20 on
wagz20ok, now it's getting started, the plot thikens. once again you're very good with description and detail, really paints and picture. and once again you have a character (Dinn) with their own style with their speech like Rusty.

you may want to look over this again, real little stuff, just some names not capitalized in the begining.

great forshadowing at the end, that preminition was ominous, it was those dogs/wolves in the first chapter right? yeah, really want to read on when i get the chance, great work

darkwolf333 on October 11, 2008, 9:24:57 AM

darkwolf333 on
darkwolf333nice I like Rusty and Blaze

AtomicMoat on July 29, 2008, 3:32:12 AM

AtomicMoat on
AtomicMoatoh cool ness ^^ can't wait to read more .. think I will just go do that now XD

FizzyG on June 6, 2008, 9:24:01 PM

FizzyG on
FizzyGamazing!
your great with detail
i cant wait for the next chapter
i wonder wha will happen next.....

mew101 on June 4, 2008, 1:32:35 AM

mew101 on
mew101wow! so detailifer stuff!