Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - The Unexpected Fight

In a world where animals speak and act like humans, a cat named Blaze is the heir to the leader of his home. However, a dark threat is lurking, and Blaze will have to master the ways of his father's mysterous sword if they are to survive.

Chapter 6 - The Unexpected Fight

Chapter 6 - The Unexpected Fight
CHAPTER 5


The foliage grew thicker and greener as Darkfang and his horde marched deeper and deeper into the heart of Blossomtree Woods. Darkfang was in an unusually good mood, as not only had he made it to the woods, he had spotted a great red building of stone positioned high up on the tallest hill. What kind of dim-witted beasts would build it there? Its in full view and just asking to be conquered.
A wicked grin broadened across Darkfang's face at the thought of taking over the castle and adding many more servants to his rather pathetic collection.
"My Lord, what are the plans for the horde? Surely you can't pass on the opportunity to take over this place. Think of all the food in that place! All ours! I suggest we take them from behind, that way..."
Darkfang slowly turned around, the smile on his face slowly vanishing. The beast that spoke was cut of his sentence by the fearsome look on his leaders face.
"You're a little overconfident, Stripejaw. What makes you think I would need your useless ideas? Listen to me now Stripejaw; I'm the only one who makes the plans, got it? Oh, and as for the food, I SUGGEST you don't go getting too excited. One false move and you'll never need it again." Darkfang made a sudden fierce downward stroke with his sword, burying the blade vertically in the ground. Stripejaw was frozen with fear when he realised what he had done. A small woodland mouse was pinned between the shoulders on the blade, dead. 
Taking the hint, he replied quickly,"Y-y-yes my lord. You're the leader, y-you make the p-plans." Stumbling over his footpaws, he took a few hurried steps away from his leader. To break the tension in the air, he started to beat the drum loudly once more. Letting out a furious growl, Darkfang unearthed his blade and shook of the dead mouse. He strode over to Stripejaw like a madbeast, his blade over his shoulder ready to strike.
  The whole horde was silent, fearing that if they made one noise, they would share the same gruesome fate as Stripejaw. The drumming slowly drew to a halt as the unfortunate badger realised what was happening.
"You are the most brainless, foolish, mouse-brained idiot I have ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on! I don't know why I chose you as captain! Don't you realise that one little noise could alert the woodlanders! A mouse babe could do your job better! I guess I'll just have to replace you. Don't worry, I'll make it quick, then you can join countless others who have defied me!" Darkfang swiftly readied his blade for the kill, as
Stripejaw was pleading for his life.
"P-please my lord! Sire, please spare me! I'll d-do better next time sir! P-p-please sire! N-no!"
The blade stopped a whisker length from Stripejaw's neck. He could feel the sharp cold of the blade through his fur and on his skin.
"It's your lucky day Stripejaw, I have decided to spare your life. Your pitiful screaming would give away our position. Don't get to relieved yet though, once we conquer this place, I'll decide wether or not you get to keep your life."
Stripejaw had not fully recovered from the shock of being so close to death. Quivering violently, he replied. "T-t-thank you m-my lord. I-I-I won't g-give you a r-reason to doubt m-me again."
Satisfied, Darkfang turned to face his silent horde. Speaking quietly, he growled, "I have a plan, but before I tell you, we must take cover under the shadows of trees and bushes. For my plan to work, no beast can know we are here."
Most of the stunned horde, especially those at the back, did not hear Darkfang's quiet words, but just followed the ones who did into the shadows. Amongst the cover of the foliage, and the darkness of the night, it was almost impossible to see the huge horde. Happy that they could not be seen, Darkfang recited the plans of attack on the castle. "The attack will be launched at dawn, when the woodlanders are just waking peacefully. The last thing on their sorry minds would be an attack." Darkfang used his sword to draw
pictures in the dirt as he spoke. His horde gathered around him to see their leader work.
"This here is the castle. Most of us will be attacking from the eastern wall, shooting arrows and javelins. We will need to make lots of noise, and draw the woodlander's attention away from the front gates. Meanwhile, a group of forty beasts will be waiting at the back of the castle, and upon my signal, they will use our nets to climb over the back wall and open the front gates. For cover, they will use a smoke bomb I acquired from the previous land, making sure they cover their mouths with cloth. It's not toxic, but it's not good to breath in either. The thing is, we can see almost perfectly through smoke, as we have become accustomed to it over previous conquers. The dumb little woodlanders can't do this, and won't be able to fight back, let alone know you are planning to open the gate. This will be your signal." Darkfang cupped his paws over his mouth and mimicked a woodland pigeon. "Once the gates are open, we will flood the castle with sheer numbers, bringing them down within their own home."
Murmurs and nods of agreement from the horde showed that they
agreed. Darkfang continued his speech, feeling appreciated for once.
"Right, We need to get a move on if we are going to make it before dawn. As soon as we are at the eastern wall, I want one of you to take a group of 40 beasts to the back wall with the nets and wait for my call. Hmmm... Blacktooth shall do. Blacktooth! Come and stand before me at once!"
Dead silence met the leaders words, until a black dog stepped forward and spoke. He wore a gold hoop in his left ear, and a black shell-patch over his right eye.
"Arr, The one yer call Blacktooth is dead lord, yer killed 'im yer self." 
"Ah, my loyal sea-dog Saltnose. I forgot all about that worthless scum Blacktooth. Ok, since you were bold enough to stand up and speak to me in front of the horde, I'll give you the mission of leading the group to the back of the castle. If you do the job correctly, and if you survive, I'll promote you to captain. I suppose dog-beasts are the only kind to trust." Darkfang glanced quickly over to the stunned Stripejaw. He was quivering at the thought of what his leader would do to him to make the job of captain vacant. "All right, you know of the plans, take 40 beasts to the back of the castle and standby until the right moment."
Darkfang turned to face his horde and looked over them until he found the location of his slaves. These poor prisoners were made to carry all the supplies while on the march. "Right, you there, squirrel, where's our nets?" The ragged little squirrel hurriedly searched the supplies, only finding one. "M-my Lord, there is only one net. I t-think your horde l-lost the others when f-fishing." Darkfang growled ferociously at this answer.
"What! You useless horde can't do anything right! I even believe what this pitiful creature says, as it is something you worthless beasts would do! Grrrrr, where just gonna have to make do with one net, although this will slow progress down." He turned to Saltnose in his temper. "Well, what are you waiting for? Winter?! Hurry up and get a move on, and take
that net with you!" Darkfang then mumbled to himself -
  "Phweew, Darkfang, your getting yourself all worked up over this horde. They're not worth it." In a much calmer voice, he spoke over his horde. "I've decided to wait awhile until we go to the east wall. We will give the group of forty enough time to get to the back before we go.
We don't want to attract too much attention."
  With those final words, Darkfang and his horde sat down. The hours until war were getting slim, and with this on their minds, all they could do for the moment was wait.



~


 

Moonlight shown through the narrow entrance of the quarry, illuminating the cave with a soft glow. Blaze and his warriors settled the cats to stay there, giving out food, and organising the warriors to stay behind and care for them. Once everything was done, Blaze, as well as other warriors who had family in the cave, went over to his mother and sister.
"Mother, I hope everything is alright for you and Rusty here. Have you got enough food? Are you comfortable? Can you manage here?" Rosie put her paw gently over Blaze's mouth, hushing him.
"Blaze, my young warrior, you have no need to worry about us. We are safe here within these quarry walls, and we met no trouble on the way here." Rosie removed her paw and rested it on Blaze's shoulder.
"I know you will do your best out there Blaze, and I know you can win. You just have to put your fears and worries behind you, and replace it with courage. You are strong Blaze, and I believe in you."
"Yeah Blaze! Bead up da bad guys! I know ya will Blaze, coz ur my big brofer!" Rusty added 
 A tear rolled down Blaze's eye as he listened to his family's words. He ruffled the fur on Rusty's head and knelt down to her level.
"Thank you Rusty, I'll do my best to protect my little sister. I have something for you Rusty, it means a lot to me, and has brought me luck over the years. Maybe it will do the same for you." Blaze reached into his pocket and pulled out his amber gem. It shone beautifully in the moonlight. He took Rusty's paw in his own and placed the gem on it. 
"Blaze, itz ur lucky stone. Ar ya sur ya wanta giv it ta me?" Rusty's big green eyes shone as she looked up at her older brother.
"Yes Rusty, I do. Promise me you will keep it with you, it would mean a lot to me it you did." Rusty nodded her head at Blazes words.
"I pwomice Blaze."
"Thankyou Rusty" Blaze stood up and looked up at his mother, who was trying to hold back her tears.
"Mother, I have to leave now. I will be back to get you get you soon." He embraced his mother in a hug, then shook his head and pulled away.
"Hmmph, the way I'm going it sounds like I wont be returning. I will though mother, I promise, I will." He turned away and started to walk towards the entrance. Everyone was waiting on him.
"Farewell." Blaze meowed over his shoulder. Rosie had Rusty embraced in a hug as she watched her son leave. Rusty had the gemstone clutched tightly in her paw.
"Farewell, my warrior."


~



Outside in the forest, it had started to rain heavily. Darkfang new it was almost time to get a move on, but the rain had made him ferocious. If it didn't stop soon, his plan would fail, as the smoke bomb would not work. The rain had come swiftly without warning, so maybe it would leave in the same manner. Darkfang growled softly to himself as he cursed the dreadful weather.


~



Outside the quarry entrance Blaze and his warriors had been met with heavy rain. They did not let this slow them down however, and they swiftly moved around the bottom of the castle's hill towards the eastern wall. They had blocked the entrance to the cave, and it would be impossible for an outsider to find the entrance if they didn't know where to find it. They had then climbed out the quarry and set of on their march. To Blaze's left, Smokey and Snowpelt were walking along side him. Although all three were dripping wet, and the rain pounded upon their faces mercilessly, they still held their heads up high and braved the weather. Blaze was the leader of the group, and he and his friends were ahead of the other warriors, so they could warn the rest of trouble if they found it. So far they had made it to the corner of the eastern and southern wall, meeting no trouble with the evil horde. Blaze thanked the heavens that they had made quick progress.
"Arr, What are yer doin yer great 'ump of seaweed! Yer gotta be more careful wid that smoke bomb! Arrr yer scurvy dog, pick it up now!"
Blaze, Smokey, and Snowpelt immediately became alert at the loud noise. Blaze quickly crouched down amongst the ferns and ushered his friends to do the same. He put is paw to his lips to indicate silence. Blaze parted the ferns slightly so they could see what was happening. A black dog arguing with a fox, and around two score beasts behind them met their view.
"I'm sorry Saltnose, the rain is making the floor slippery. If it doesn't stop soon, the bomb won't work."
"Arr, I know Bane. If this retch'd rain doesn' go, our plan will fail. Arr, bu' we mus' still continue on with our plans. Ther rain might le' off soon. An' don' go drop'n it again yer foolish idiot."
Seeing that they were getting closer to their hideout, Blaze whispered urgently to his friends.
"We must go and warn the others. We're on a collision corse with what seems to be part of the horde. I'm afraid the only thing we can do is confront them head on. If we let them go, they'll try to use that smoke bomb of there's against the castle. It won't work in this weather, but we can't risk it, in case the rain stops."
"I can't believe they would do such horrible things." Snowpelt whispered
"Me neither" Smokey added
Blaze shook his head at these words.
"I know it's bad, but we can't just stand here talking about how terrible they are. Come on, we have to go now. Crouch down amongst the foliage and make as little noise as possible. We have to move swiftly." Crouching close to the ground on all fours, Blaze led Snowpelt and Smokey back to the group.
Sunheart, A golden tom cat who was in the front ranks, called for the group of warriors to halt, for he had heard a noise in the bushed ahead. Loading his bow with an arrow, he aimed, pulling his bow string taut, ready to fire in an instant. Fearing the worst as the bushes parted, he was relieved to see a familiar face, and lowered his bow.
"Ahh, its only you Blaze. What is the reason of concern on your face? What's happened?"
Blaze stood up to face the older warrior, while Snowpelt and Smokey joined the ranks of the group.
"Sunheart, there is a terrible threat awaiting us not far ahead. It looks as though part of the horde has taken a different route than the rest, obviously to try a sneak attack on the castle from behind. They even brought a smoke bomb, but if this rain doesn’t stop, it won't work. I think we can take them on; we're evenly matched."
Sunheart looked dismayed.
"But if we do, we will no doubt loose the lives of some. And what if we loose? Or our numbers reduced too small? What will we do then?"
"I understand the risk Sunheart. But if we try to avoid them, they will just go and attack the castle. At all costs we must not let that happen. We must ambush them." Sunheart, still not satisfied, did not retort.
"Ok Blaze, I will follow your orders, even at the cost of my life."
"Thank you Sunheart, I knew I could count on you. Now we have to let everyone know of our plans."
"I'll do it" Sunheart meowed.
Before long, everybeast new of the attack, and were stalking silently towards their enemy. Once in sight, Blaze ushered everyone to halt amongst the foliage.
He whispered, "Alright. Everybeast get their weapon ready. Wait until I signal, then we'll rush them from behind."
  Blaze once again parted the bushes and watched silently. The group of skinny, ragged horde beasts walked by them, completely unaware that they were being watched. 
"1...2...3...Go!"
[/size]

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

darkwolf333 on November 21, 2008, 3:26:46 PM

darkwolf333 on
darkwolf333Cool. Nicely written. Sorry haven't read in awhile I've been so distracted

AtomicMoat on July 30, 2008, 9:56:38 AM

AtomicMoat on
AtomicMoato.O .. MORE I want more .. you can't just leave it there .. please hurry up with the next chapter