Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - The demon within

In a world where animals speak and act like humans, a cat named Blaze is the heir to the leader of his home. However, a dark threat is lurking, and Blaze will have to master the ways of his father's mysterous sword if they are to survive.

Chapter 7 - The demon within

Chapter 7 - The demon within
CHAPTER 6[/size][/b]


At Blaze’s command, the group of 40 warriors leapt into battle at full speed. The surprised horde beasts had little time to react to the ferocity of the attack. In a whir of swinging swords, and shooting arrows, many horde beasts fell. Unfortunately, the horde’s heavy armour proved difficult to penetrate, and although Blaze knocked over countless enemies with his sword, he found they kept getting up without injury. The vermin had now gotten over the surprise of the attack, and were battling with full force. All around Blaze beasts were fighting to the death, and the noise that was being made was deafening.
A sly fox tried to sneak up on him, but after hearing a loud crackle of branches behind him, he sidestepped swiftly, thwarting the attack. The sharp cold of the blade lightly nicked Blaze’s neck as he swung around and dealt a huge blow to the fox’s side. Although the small sword did not penetrate the armour, it did leave him winded, and the fox collapsed down onto his knee’s clutching his side.
For a brief moment, Blaze surveyed his surrounding. Ahead of him, Smokey dominated a battle with a dog. He had luckily brought a sword with him for protection. Smokey utilized both his sword, and the arrow supplies to viciously stab his opponent.
Over to his right, Snowpelt was in an intense sword fight with a huge badger. A second badger crept up from behind; ready to swing at Snowpelt with his mace. Knowing instinctively that he had to help her, he struck out impatiently at an advancing dog, right in the bare patch of fur in-between his shoulder and head armour. With his enemy laying dead on ground, Blaze ran at full speed towards the mace bearing badger. Striking just as he had previously, he struck the badger’s bare neck fur. Heaving the lifeless falling body aside, he stood back to back to with Snowpelt, to prevent anymore sneak attacks.
"You alright Snowpelt?"
Gritting her teeth with the intensity of battle, all fragments of shyness gone, she replied
"I’m fine thanks. Couldn’t say the same to that badger you just slew. How you get though it’s armour? To your right!"
Blaze Swung his sword to his right at the oversized rat, who blocked it with his own.
"Like this."
Rolling side ways out the way of the blade, he swiftly stood up behind the rat, striking him like he had the previous two. Quickly joining together again with Snowpelt, he explained the situation while blocking all types of deadly weapons.
"In all armour there is a weak spot, an unprotected patch where the armour is joined. In these beasts armoury, it’s the spot where the helmet joins to the shoulder armour; the neck. One sharp blow with a sword there is deadly. We have to be careful though. We bear no armour, and one mistake could prove fatal. Stay close to me and I’ll protect you."
"No chance Blaze. Sorry, but I can take care of myself. Slay a few beasts for me will you?"
With those last words, Snowpelt took of, hacking furiously at anybeast in her path.
Momentarily surprised at Snowpelt’s skill, Blaze was caught of guard, and an arrow struck him in his right shoulder. With a cry of pain, he fell to his knees, and dropped his sword. Turning his head, he saw the same fox he had previously winded holding a bow; a wicked grin spread broad across his face. Clutching his fallen sword, he slowly stood up, pulling the arrow out from deep within his shoulder. He winced as blood trickled down his arm, dripping onto the grass bellow.
"What’s the matter puss? Did you get hurt?" The fox mocked.
Blaze gripped his sword in both paws, despite the pain he was in.
"Shut up fox! I’ll show you what a real warrior can do!" Blaze yelled as he raised his sword.
"Die!" Blaze ran at full speed towards the fox; his blade high over his shoulder. The fox just snickered. What a reckless move! Blindly running straight for me he is! With his target closing in, the fox dropped his bow and swiftly drew his sword; mightily swinging a counter attack at his foe. Realising that his sword had made no contact, he stood still in fear.
The cat had vanished!
In reality, Blaze had jumped high into the air; so fast that it had been undetected by the fox. Pointing his sword downward, he came back down towards the dazed fox, faster with the force of gravity behind him. Smashing his enemy’s helmet, he landed besides the fallen fox gracefully in a crouch. Standing up, he surveyed the fallen beast. The force of the blow had completely shattered his helmet, and a twisted look of pure fear was frozen upon the remains of the dead fox’s face. After swinging his sword once to shake of the blood, he quickly lunged back into battle.
By now, many of Blaze’s allies had become aware of the horde’s weakness; a swing of the sword to the neck. As the number of horde beasts declined, they started to panic, and lower their defences. They began to huddle together in a group, realising they had been defeated. Blaze and his comrades surrounded the small group in a large circle.
What’s happening? I could have sworn there were more than these. How did their numbers decline so quickly? Blaze wondered to himself.
"Why have you come? Tell me now!" Blaze yelled at a dog that was at the head of the group. He wore an eye patch, and was cowering at the sight of Blaze.
"WHY!" Blaze yelled once more.
The dog answered in a quivering voice, "It wasn’t ar idea! Yer can’t kill me!"
The dog then whispered to a badger next to him. The badger nodded, then remained still.
"What was that vermin? Tell me what you just told that badger! NOW! I want no more plotting. I am quite happy to kill you all now for the trouble you have caused!"
Blaze raised his sword, and pointed it at the dog. In the moment where everyone had their eye on Blaze, the badger instantly jumped out of his group and dragged an unsuspecting cat from the outside circle. He restrained the struggling cat in his mighty grip, and rested a knife upon her neck.
Everybeast turned their eyes on the scene, including Blaze. He instantly dropped his sword, eyes wide with horror. He wanted to scream, but no sound left his jaws. Angry tears welled up in Blaze’s eyes as he saw Snowpelt, shaking violently under the badgers grip. Her eyes closed with fear as the knife was pressed firmer against her neck.
"Ha! We’ve got you." The badger yelled madly. "One move and this pretty cat is dead!"
The dog, who had been quivering only a moment before, stood up calmly and strode over to the badger.
"So, what’s yer decision cat? Ar yer gonna attack us, and le’ this poor, poor creature die?" The dog menacingly raised a sharp claw, running it down the side of Snowpelt’s face.
"NO! don’t touch her! I’m the leader, It’s me you want!" Blaze yelled, collapsing onto his knees.
The dog continued like he hadn’t heard Blaze’s desperate cry. “Or, will yer save this cats life, an’ surrender? What’ll it be, cat?”
Blaze’s rage built up inside of him as salty tears fell to the ground. Clasping a clump of grass in each paw, he looked up, staring the dog straight in the eye.
I don’t know what to do. If I attack, Snowpelt will die. If I surrender, they will carry out there plan, and many more will die. Father, I need you.
"Don’t surrender Blaze! My life is nothing compared to the whole clan’s sa– " Snowpelt fell quiet as the badger tightened his grip, and forced the knife even harder against her skin. Blood started to trickle down her shoulder. She said no more; if the knife were pressed any firmer, she would die.
"But, Snowpelt. I-I can’t let you die! It’s my fault. No, I won’t let it happen, these vermin will pay the price!"
As Blaze stood up, something changed inside of him. He no longer felt any threat. His vision became blurred and red, and all he could see clearly was the badger and Snowpelt.
Smokey, who had been near Blaze, witnessed something he never thought he would see. His friend’s eyes had turned red, and he could actually see a fire brewing inside them. He felt scared for his friend, and for every onlooker. He wasn’t the same creature anymore.
Blaze, all feelings gone, lunged at the badger with a speed he never knew he had. He jumped into the air, and brought his claws down upon his enemy. The horror struck badger dropped Snowpelt just as his armour was torn to shreds. As Blaze landed, he surveyed the bloody scene. The badger was dead, ripped apart by his claws. On the floor, next to the badger, lay Snowpelt. Breathing heavily, she clutched her shoulder, eyes wide with fear. Blaze raised his paw, and saw the blood dripping from his claws.
He stared once more at Snowpelt, and saw the wound he had inflicted upon her shoulder.
Blaze’s feelings started to rush back to him, and his eyes became clear once more. He was confused, scared, and angry. Seeing his blood soaked paw, he took a step towards Snowpelt. The she-cat moved away, shaking horribly.
"D-did I do this?" Blaze muttered to himself. He saw that all the horde beasts, including the dog, had fled. This was the least of his concerns however. Everybeast’s eye was on him.
Smokey, who never had been the brave one, took a slow step towards Blaze.
"You mean you don’t remember?" Smokey took another step forward.
"N-no. All I r-remember…was getting angry. T-then everything w-went red."
Smokey had never in his life seen Blaze so scared. He decided that his old friend was back. Every cat stood still as Smokey approached Blaze. Slowly, he put a paw on his shoulder.
"Blaze...it’s alright. I can’t explain what just happened, but your back. That’s all that matters right now.” Smokey meowed soothingly.
"No Smokey, your wrong! I hurt Snowpelt, and I’ll never forgive myself for it! If that badger hadn’t have dropped Snowpelt, she would have died!" Blaze retaliated. He was feeling tortured inside; he had never imagined that such a terrible power lay dormant within him.
"But she didn’t, and you should be grateful for that." Smokey replied.
"Snowpelt." Blaze stood up, paws still quivering. "I’m sorry. I don’t know what overcame me." With those words, he strode away. He couldn’t bear to look Snowpelt in the eye any longer. He muttered over his shoulder, "Boulder, you’ve always been trustworthy. I want you to take Snowpelt back to the quarry. Make sure she gets the best possible care. If anyone asks, she was injured in battle."
"Yes Blaze." Boulder slowly moved towards Snowpelt, and heaved her onto his back. Snowpelt didn’t struggle; her unmoving icy glare rested upon Blaze. As the two cats left, Blaze turned around and nervously faced his followers. The cats were beginning to relax, but were nonetheless still tense.
"I apologize for my anger, I can do no more. I am still willing to lead you all to the battle ahead, that is, if you still trust me." Blaze looked down at his last words.
"I trust you Blaze." Smokey spoke up. He then turned to face the group. "And I hope everyone else will to. We have come too far to quit. Who’s with me?"
A mighty cheer came from all the cats; all traces of nervousness gone.
See Blaze? We’re all still loyal to you. Lead the way. Smokey meowed.
Blaze, proud to have such faithful friends, replied, "Thank you. I’ll do my best."
The rain had now stopped, and Blaze led the group onwards. He showed no signs of worry on the outside, but on the inside, he was still torn. For the sake of the clan, however, he pushed on.

~
[/size][/b]

"I can’t believe I got away from that lot!" An oversized rat sighed heavily. Catching his breath, he looked down at the fish net tied around his waist. He had been the rat in charge of keeping the net safe, so that the group could use it to climb the castle wall. He then looked up, and realized that six other beasts had escaped with him.
The seven beasts, not being the most loyal of creatures, had sneaked away from the battle sight once the odds had turned against them. Not stopping once to see where they were going, they kept running until the roars of battle had died away to a dead silence behind them. Now, relieved that they had escaped unharmed, the beasts surveyed their surroundings. With a sudden shock of realization, they saw that they were at the very place their group had been bound for; the southern wall of the castle.
The large rat turned to the others and spoke, "Well, out of forty, seven beasts actually made it to the destination. Not bad if you ask m – ouch!" A badger struck the rat on the head with his fist.
"Not bad? Thirty-three beasts die and you call that not bad!"
Rubbing his throbbing head, the rat retorted. "Wow, I’m surprised Ragear, you can count!"
"Of corse I can count you idiot! Look, I would love to stand here all day and fight, but we’re in enough trouble as it is! You don’t seriously think we could return to Darkfang like this do you? We haven’t even got the smoke bomb with us. It was lost in the battle. Well, we could just go ahead; those woodlanders in the castle couldn’t be much of a bother. All their warriors are outside, so it’ll be easy. I’m not scared like you lot, why, I wish there were a woodlander right here so I could rip out its throat!"
Just as he had finished his sentence, the bushes rustled behind them.
"Arrrggggg! It’s those woodlanders; they’ve come to finish us of! Run!" Ragear screamed.
"Arr, keep yer fur on. ‘tis only us." The bushes parted to reveal Saltnose, and the rest of the horde beasts that had escaped when Blaze lost control.
"Er, erm… oh it’s you Saltnose, how did you escape." Ragear shifted from paw to paw, trying to hide his embarrassment. Deciding not to question Ragear’s ridiculous actions, Saltnose answered, "We overwhelmed ‘em! Those stupid woodlanders ran wit’ ther tail between ther legs, well those that we ‘adn’t slain o’ corse."
"But chief, I thou-" The beast who spoke was cut short by Saltnose’s cold glare. He was too proud to admit defeat amongst the rest of the group. He didn’t bother asking the others how they had escaped, because he was already certain of the answer.
"Great work chief! Well, since we have already taken care of all the warriors, why don’t we go ahead with the plan? It’ll be easy to open the front gates of a castle with no warriors defending it. Look, I even kept hold of that net so we can climb the building!" The rat who had been fighting with Ragear earlier spoke.
Although he knew in the back of his mind that the warriors remained alive, Saltnose’s pride got the better of his judgement.
"I don’t see why not. Those pathetic creatures wont know what ‘it ‘em!"
Saltnose paced over to wall. He raised his paw, and ran it down the red barrier.
"Give me the net." He ordered, his gaze straying to the topmost point of the stone wall.
The rat threw Saltnose the net, his lighting fast paw shooting out to catch it. For a few moments, the dog glared back and forth between the wall and the net, analysing the distance. Taking a step back, he launched the netting, making sure to grasp tightly to one end. A gap in the other end neatly wrapped itself around a protruding boulder on top of the wall. Saltnose gave it a sturdy tug to test if it was secure. Once satisfied, he turned towards his companions.
"Ragear, since yer were so eager ter rip out ther throats o’ ther woodlanders, I’ll let yer go first. Go on, unless yer afraid?" A mocking smile widened upon the dogs mouth. However, when the badger stood still, His anger started to seep through.
"Well, what are you waiting for? That was an order! Stop acting so cowardly!" Saltnose took one step towards the badger.
"I’m not a coward! It’s just, well, Darkfang said we had to wait until his signal. We can’t deny his orders; he’ll rip us apart!"
Slowly, Saltnose took another step towards Ragear.
"Huh, typical. Everybeast following Darkfang’s orders like their life depends on it."
"But it does! You know Darkfang, he’ll kill anyone who defies him. And why should I listen to you anyway? You’re no more special than any of us." Ragear was getting impatient.
Saltnose’s temper was rising. Angrily, he strode at a swifter pace towards Ragear, raising his voice slightly. He didn’t want to alert any woodlanders that may be awake. "In case you don’t remember, I was put in charge to lead this group. I was the one Darkfang trusted. And why weren’t you chosen? Because you’re a brainless fool who doesn’t know your place in life! Right now, I have just as much as authority as Darkfang, and not just in status. If I wanted to, I could kill you now, then it wouldn’t matter who you took orders from anymore, would it? Now I suggest you do as I say, unless you prefer your head detached to your body!" Saltnose was standing directly in front of Ragear now, his hot breath blowing down, ragged and uneven, upon the badger.
Up close like this, Ragear realised how much bigger Saltnose was. However, he was not about to let himself be embarrassed yet again because of this creature.
"If we defy Darkfang’s orders, he’ll have our head anyway, you included."
"You still have this blind faith for Darkfang. Tell me this, don’t you think it’ll be a better idea if we snuck in during the night and open the gates? Everyone would be asleep, and there would be no need for a smoke bomb. If they have any sentries, we would just kill them before they have a chance to scream. Then, we could just open the gates for the others. Don’t you think that’s a little easier than battling our way through the whole clan during the day? Even if they were distracted, someone would notice us. Sometimes I think Darkfang is loosing his edge, he is no longer fit for leader." Saltnose trailed off. He was afraid that he might have raised his voice a little too high. However, when all stayed silent for a few minutes, he relaxed.
Ragear, who was now starting to see the dog’s point, agreed. Besides, who would want to put his life at risk, if there was a way around it?
"Alright Saltnose, I’ll go. I prefer my head the way it is." Striding over to the net, Ragear carefully started to climb. He couldn’t help but think he was being used as some sort of experiment by the dog.
"Good. Hurry up then. If it’s safe, then signal the rest of us to follow." Saltnose growled.
I knew it! I’m only being used to test if it’s safe. I’m just a disposable rag to him. If something happens to me, they’ll just run away with their tail between their legs. Ragear thought to himself as he struggled to climb the wall.
He didn’t retaliate however, as he was already halfway up the fragile net. It was only designed to hold fish, not the weight of a badger. It did hold his weight however, and he managed to scramble his way to the top of the wall.
Stepping onto the battlements on the inner wall, he surveyed his surroundings. In front of him, a huge building towered high into the stars. From this angle, he could not see the gates. Before calling the others, he decided it would be best to first take a glance at the gates. He would have to see how many, if any, lookouts they had. It was then he realised he would have to get down onto the floor. Being up so high, he would be easily spotted by any lookouts. It was too high to jump, so he looked around him for another way to get down. To his relief, he saw a flight of steps to the right of him, leading safely down to the bottom. This meant that the sentries would undoubtedly climb the wall to keep watch.
Ragear, swiftly but cautiously, descended the stairs. Only when his aching paws touched the cool, well-kept grass, did he relax. Now that he was on the floor, behind the immense building, the chances of being spotted were reduced. Taking a few steps, he closed the distance between himself and the castle. Positioning his back against the wall, he slowly inched his head around the side. The scene shook him. Many cats had positioned themselves high up on the battlements, next to the main gate. They held arrows in their paws, and seemed to be surveying the area with caution.
However, this was not the only thing that made Ragear’s fur stand on end with annoyance. The main gate – the most important aspect in his leader’s plan – was blocked. Anything from household furniture to kitchen utensils were piled up high in front of the gate. Not only did this make it impenetrable from outside attacks, there was no way it could be opened either. In the midst of battle, there would be no time to clear the mess.
The assault on the castle had been thwarted.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

darkwolf333 on November 26, 2008, 5:35:52 AM

darkwolf333 on
darkwolf333I love this. U description is good. Tell me when u have more up

AtomicMoat on October 7, 2008, 10:52:26 PM

AtomicMoat on
AtomicMoatOo; I love it!! keep up the good work can't wait till your next chapter