Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Leaving Home

A female Irken named Kal leaves her home planet and travels to Earth. There she meets Dib, and falls in love with him. He likes her, too. But Kal soon realizes Dib can't find out she's an alien.

Chapter 1 - Leaving Home

Chapter 1 - Leaving Home
I suddenly awoke. It was the middle of the night. I looked around me for a moment, then slowly, quietly got up. I could barely see in the dark. I accidently kicked my SIR unit, Maddy.

"What?" she said. "What's up, Kal?" she asked me.

"Quiet, Maddy," I said. "We don’t want to wake anyone." I checked to make sure my "family" of Irkens was still asleep. No one had stirred.

"What are you doing?" Maddy asked me quietly. I ignored her for the moment, quietly walking towards where my friends Sierr and Roko slept. I should tell them, I thought. I poked Roko’s forehead and he woke up immediately.

"What—" I clamped my hand over his mouth. "Shhh," I said.

"Kal, what's going on? What’s wrong?" he whispered.

"Help me wake Sierr," I said. Sierr was a bit of a heavy sleeper.

We woke her, and she whispered, "What's happening? What?"

"I'll explain," I said. "I…I just can't stay here anymore."

"What?!" said Sierr, Roko, and Maddy.

"I can't stay on this planet…Not knowing what happened to Tirm…"

There had been six of us. Tirm, Grey, and Mez, the oldest of us, were all defected Irkens that couldn’t be of use to the Empire. Tirm’s legs had been unable to move, Grey was blind, and Mez was albino. There wasn’t anything wrong with Sierr, Roko, and I, but we had all ended up here somehow.

Now there are only five of us.

Tirm was like a father to me. He raised me and taught me all the things he knew. I'd loved him like I was his daughter. But one day, he went into the city, and something found him and…

Tirm was gone now.

Maddy had once belonged to Tirm. She didn't have a name at the time. Tirm just called her "SIR." After Tirm died, Maddy crashed. I used the knowledge Tirm had given me to repair her. I didn't like the name "SIR" for her. She was obviously female. So I played around with the word "madam" for a while and came up with "Maddy."

Sierr and Roko just stared at me.

"Kal, if you leave, who'll be my best friend?" asked Sierr.

"You're absolutely out of your ever-loving mind, Kal! You don’t know what’s out there. You'll die!" said Roko.

"You don't know that, Roko," I said.

"Kal…" Sierr’s eyes were filling up with tears now.

"Sierr…I'm sorry, but…" She was crying. Sierr had been my friend from the moment I was born. She was just a few minutes older than I was. We were like sisters. "I have to leave. I can't stand this planet anymore!"

Roko sighed. "Kal…If you feel like you need to leave, you should. Just…Don't get yourself killed, Kal. Don't die," he said.

"I won't," I promised him.

"I'm really going to miss you," said Sierr.

"I'm going to miss you, too, Sierr." I hugged them both. "I love you guys," I said. I realized I was crying now, too.

"We love you, too, Kal," sobbed Sierr.

It was so hard to step away from them. Not only because they wouldn't let go of me. Eventually they released me, and I slowly walked away. I can't count how many times I looked back over my shoulder.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment