Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Meeting

A female Irken named Kal leaves her home planet and travels to Earth. There she meets Dib, and falls in love with him. He likes her, too. But Kal soon realizes Dib can't find out she's an alien.

Chapter 3 - Meeting

Chapter 3 - Meeting
Maddy and I were getting ready for our first day at the learning facility the humans called “skool.” We weren’t paying attention when the bus came and almost missed it.

When we got on, I saw something that seemed weird to me. On one side three to four kids sat in the same seat, taking up all the space. It looked like there wasn’t even room to breathe.

On the other side…the kid I’d seen yesterday! He looked annoyed. I wondered why he was sitting all alone.

“Hi,” I said to him. He slowly turned his head to look at me. “Um…Hi,” he said. It seemed to me like no one had ever greeted him before.

“Can I sit here?” I asked him. “…Sure,” he replied. I sat next to him. Maddy sat in the seat behind us.

“So…My name’s Kal,” I said. “What’s yours?”

“Dib,” he replied. He was silent for a moment, then he asked, “Are you new here?”

“Yeah, my sister Maddy and I are from…Um…”

“We’re from another country,” Maddy said, looking over her seat at us. Thank you, I thought. Maddy and I had a connection where we could converse through our thoughts. Of course, I couldn’t hear hers, considering she was robot and didn’t actually think, but she could hear my thoughts just fine.

“What country?” Dib asked.

“Um…” I looked at Maddy. She shrugged. “The name is really hard to pronounce,” I said.

“Oh, okay,” said Dib.

Wow, Dib seems like a nice person, I thought. “Do you want to be friends?” I asked him.

“Sure!” he replied.

“Cool!”

I realized that all the other kids on the bus were staring at me. “What’s their problem?” I asked.

Dib looked annoyed. “They just think I’m crazy because I believe in ghosts and aliens and things like that. And they probably think you’re crazy for sitting with me.”

“Well, that’s stupid,” I said.

“Yeah…” said Dib. The bus got to the skool, and we got off.

We went inside and he started walking down the hallway. “Wait,” I said.

“What?”

“I, um…I don’t know where to go,” I said. “I’m in Ms. Bitters’ class…”

“I’m in her class, too,” said Dib. “Come on, I’ll show you where it is.”

“Okay,” I said, following him.

We came to Ms. Bitters’ classroom and she introduced Maddy and I to the rest of the class. Dear God, she was scary. I turned to look at my classmates and noticed a kid with green skin and no ears. He looked familiar. It couldn’t be, I thought. But I knew. I knew that it was an Irken named Zim. He’d been my friend for a while back on Irk, before Operation Impending Doom One happened and he nearly destroyed my family.

I sat in the empty seat behind Dib, and Maddy sat next to Zim.

“See the green kid?” Dib asked me. “He’s an—“

“Alien,” I said. “I know.”

“You did? That’s—“ he stopped talking. “Wait, so you don’t think I’m crazy like everyone else does?”

I smiled at him. “Of course not.”

He smiled back.

I heard Maddy giggle. I looked at her. What? I thought. I saw her shake her head. I raised an eyebrow.

The bell rang for lunch. When we got to the cafeteria, I immediately lost my appetite for any food. The smell sickened me, and it didn’t look terribly good, either. I wondered if the reason I thought this was because I was Irken.

I saw Dib sitting with a girl with a GameSlave 2 in her hand. I went over and sat down. “Hi,” I said to the girl. She grunted and stayed focused on her video game. “Who’s that?” I asked Dib.

“That’s Gaz,” he replied. “She’s my sister.” Sister…I thought of Sierr, back on Irk, probably wondering where I was. It made me think of Roko, worrying about me, and then of Grey and Mez, probably terrified.

“What’s the matter?” asked Dib. I looked at him. “Nothing. Why?” I asked.

“You look sad,” he said.

“Oh…I was just thinking about…all the friends I had to leave behind…”

“Oh,” said Dib. He was quiet.

Maddy walked by us. I stopped her. “What were you giggling about in class?” I asked her.

“Well...” She laughed again. “I just think it’s nice. First day of skool, and you already have a boyfriend!” She laughed even louder.

I blushed a deep red. “Maddy!” I yelled at her. I threw a pea at the back of her head. She giggled again and ran away. Someone yelled, “Food fight!” and mashed potatoes and corn started flying everywhere. I turned to Dib, hoping he hadn’t heard what Maddy had said. He just stared at me, blushing a little.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment