Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - I Get First Dibs!

A female Irken named Kal leaves her home planet and travels to Earth. There she meets Dib, and falls in love with him. He likes her, too. But Kal soon realizes Dib can't find out she's an alien.

Chapter 5 - I Get First Dibs!

Chapter 5 - I Get First Dibs!
Dib was smiling at me. I smiled back. Suddenly, his expression became horrified. I looked at myself and realized I wasn’t in disguise, and when I looked back up Dib looked angry. The next things I saw were syringes and knives carefully being lowered toward my skin…

I woke up screaming. My mind was made up; Dib absolutely could not find out about my being an Irken. If I didn’t tell him, we would stay friends and everything would work out. I went back to sleep, I dreamt of Dib and I having a conversation. And the thought of having to lie to my only friend on this planet bothered me even more than my last dream.

I sat next to Dib on the bus again today, and Maddy sat behind us again. She’d brought an 800 page book with her that she was getting through very fast.

“Hi, Dib,” I said to him.

“Hey, Kal,” he said. “Hey, you know what? I was watching a show called Mysterious Mysteries last night and…” He told me what the show was about and then talked about paranormal stuff until the bus got to skool.

We sat through class which seemed to go on forever as Ms. Bitters gave us a lecture on how mankind will eventually wipe itself out. Well, that’s apparent, with this kind of education, I thought. Maddy heard and giggled.

At lunch time I didn’t eat anything again. I sat next to Dib and tried not to watch as he ate…whatever the stuff the skool served was. Certainly it wasn’t any normal food. On any planet.

“Hey…” he said. “My birthday is tomorrow.”

“It is?” I said.

“Yeah. I’m going to be eleven,” he said.

I got up and went over to where Maddy was sitting at Zim’s table. I wondered why she sat with Zim so much. I grabbed her arm and dragged her with me. “What are you doing, Kal?” she asked me.

“Where are you going?” asked Dib.

“Bathroom,” I said.

“And…Maddy needs to come with you because…”

“She just does, okay?” I said.

When we got to the bathroom, Maddy said, “Kal, what’s up with you?”

“Dib’s birthday is tomorrow.”

“So? What does that have to do with me?”

“You’re going to help me find him a present,” I said.

“Okay,” she said. “Hey, Kal…”

Meanwhile, in Dib’s point of view…

Lunch had ended. I wondered what was taking Kal so long. I was walking down the hallway, and as I passed the girl’s bathroom I heard, “Do you like him?” It was Maddy’s voice. I froze. There was a pause, and then, “…Yes.” Kal’s voice! Who else could they be talking about besides…me?

Meanwhile, in Kal’s point of view…

“I knew it!” exclaimed Maddy triumphantly. “I knew you liked him!”

I was blushing. “Maddy, please don’t make a big deal out of this,” I said.

She laughed. “Yes, ma’am,” showing she was obeying me but trying to make it sound like a joke.

I walked out of the bathroom and saw Dib had just passed it. Oh, crap! I thought. Had he heard Maddy and I talking?

After school, Maddy and I split up and went looking for a gift for Dib. We searched for hours. Eventually, she came to where I was and said, “Found something that I know a geek like Dib would just love.”

“Maddy, don’t call him a geek,” I said.

“Well, that’s what he is, right?”

“Well…Yes, but don’t say it,” I replied. “Anyway, what did you find?”

“Gummy bears.”

“…Gummy bears?”

Haunted gummy bears,” she said.

“Oh, cool!” I said. “Dib really likes all that paranormal stuff.”

“I know,” said Maddy. “He’s all you ever talk about!” She laughed.

The next day at lunch, I sat next to Dib, with the gummy bears in a plastic sandwich bag in my hand. I had written “Happy Birthday” and drawn some balloons on the bag with a Sharpie marker.

“Happy birthday, Dib,” I said, handing him the plastic bag. “I…couldn’t find a box or wrapping paper.” I laughed.

“That’s okay,” said Dib. “It’s the thought that counts. Hey, these are cool! I had some of these, but…Gaz ate them,” he said. “Thanks.” He smiled at me.

I smiled back. The next thing he did surprised me; under the table, he took my hand in his.

“I really like you, Kal,” he said.

“You…You overheard my conversation with Maddy!” I exclaimed as he was lifting a forkful of corn to his mouth.

He dropped his fork.

“…Only part of it,” he said.

He dropped my hand, and I took his. “Then…You must already know that…I like you too,” I said.

“…Yeah,” he said.

I realized his fork was on the floor. We both stared at it for a moment, and then I got up to get him a new one. I didn’t want to let go of his hand and almost ended up dragging him with me.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment