Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Trouble on the Horizon

Raven, the other Titans and the Charmed Ones face a prophecy that leads them to work together to fight against a foe they unexpectedly end up having in common. A crossover story for Charmed and Teen Titans.

Chapter 4 - Trouble on the Horizon

Chapter 4 - Trouble on the Horizon
Chapter 4: Trouble on the Horizon.

Trying to come to terms with what they’d just earned was proving to be difficult for the two—Raven and Beast Boy. What Artie had just told them wasn’t sitting well. It wasn’t all that new a concept to learn an archenemy was making another effort to do a world domination thing, but working with those methods and operating towards those particular goals—

Slade was already a fairly evil opponent, but for him to take on the label of the Source of all Evil—it just seemed a bit too farfetched, even for him.

Kane and Artie had a lot to consider and take in as well. Identifying the nameless threat was big news, and so was having a few more pieces to the prophetic puzzle. The Elders—and the rest of the magical community, should probably be informed immediately.

Most important: the Charmed Ones had to be informed of their involvement in the prophecy, for their sake—as well as others.

But their involvement in it remained a mystery and Kane—with help from an unexpected source—the girl, Raven—would have to be the ones to uncover the missing pieces to that prophetic puzzle.

Raven partially knew her role, but Kane had yet to learn his.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

“What of all this can we inform Robin on? Of all of us—besides me anyways—he’s had the most negative influence from the torment, motives, and actions of Slade,” Raven spoke.

The small group had been led out of the more private confines of Raven’s room towards the more public common room.

“I’m still adjusting to the thought of Slade wanting to be the evilest dude on the planet,” Beast Boy pointed out. “”Especially the one of him having badder powers then before, and then the concept of witches, demons, guardian angels, and the strange world I didn’t even dream to believe in—“

“Well, it’d be smart if you kept that knowledge to yourself for now,” Kane told him. “Your friends should probably know, but it would be best if the rest of the city didn’t know.”

“Why?” Beast Boy questioned. “We get our share of magical baddies who are beyond weird, and the city’s gotten used to it all.”

“”I don’t think they could handle this sort of magic,” Kane replied. “Magic of this form has been exposed before, and it wasn’t pretty. It took a lot to clean up the mess, and to keep it all from falling apart.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Beast Boy said, not bothering to push the issue further.

“So...what are you exactly, and what’s up with the green skin and pointy ears?” Artie asked him.

“I’m a changeling—a shape-shifter,” Beast Boy replied.

“Shape-shifter—of human forms?” Artie asked.

“No, animal,” Beast Boy replied, grinning. “Any animal form—real, mythological, and alien.”

“What about the green thing and the ears?” Artie asked again.

“Don’t push it,” Beast Boy warned. “So…how do we go on telling the other three about Slade’s antics, as well as how to rid of him permanently?”

“You go fill in your friends,” Kane told him. “I’m sure they’d love to know this archenemy is up to something out of the ordinary.”

“I’ll get right to it,” Beast Boy said. “Uh…are you guys sticking around for a while?”

“I’m thinking about taking the chance to research some things at a certain library,” Kane said.

“Library?” Raven turned her gaze to him. “What is this certain library?”

“The one at magic school,” Kane told her. “It’s the best source for info on magic around.” He looked directly into her gaze, continuing. “I seem to recall your room looked somewhat like a mini library, would you care to come and check it out?”

“Magic library, eh?” Beast Boy spoke up. “Any creepy horror novels or twisted fairytales among the selection, because that’s what Rae tends to like.”

“I’m not sure,” Kane replied. He looked to the Raven. “Well so—you want to go?”

“Y-yes,” Raven stammered in reply. “It might be nice to check out a selection that’s not totally made up of overly cheerful writings and romance trash. One thing though,” she paused briefly. “How exactly do we get there?”

“For me, it’s just an orb away,” Kane replied, smiling. “For you—the same, if you’ll allow it, that is.”

“How—I can’t orb or whatever,” Raven replied.

“I can do that for you,” Kane replied. “That is—if you take my hand.”

“Okay—“

“Kane, you want me to tell Danielle about the new developments?” Artie asked Kane.

“Yeah,” Kane replied. “Since I can’t do it, you’d be the best candidate. She knows I can trust you with anything.”

“Yeah, she does,” Artie replied. “”Besides her, I’m the only one who really knows you.” He looked at Raven and continued. “And maybe one day you’ll also get to know him—even his unknown side.” He returned his gaze to Kane. ”Anyways, I’m going to head, See you later.” He disappeared in a blue-white aura.

“What unknown side is he talking about?” Raven asked Kane.

“Oh, my dark side,” Kane replied smiling mysteriously. ”Ready to head now?”

“You have a dark side? I didn’t think angels had a dark side,” Raven said.

“They can.” Kane replied. “So—“

“Yes, I’m ready,” Raven told him. “How exactly does orbing work?”

“Just take my hand, and I’ll do the rest,” Kane instructed her.

“Huh?” Raven gave him an odd look.

“Take my hand,” Kane repeated. “And don’t ask anymore questions.”

Instead of arguing or asking further questions, she did as he had instructed and took his hand.

“I hope you don’t get sick easily,” Kane told her.

“Not usually—why?”

“Some don’t take to orbing all that well, and I thought I’d give you a warning, just in case,” Kane replied, grinning.

“Well…I’m ready whenever.”

“Okay, cool.” For some strange reason her hand clasped in his gave off unusually odd warmth. Not the warmth associated with heat, but rather a strange sensation he couldn’t quite grasp the meaning of. After a moment of that running through his thoughts, he got to doing just what he’d intended to do. The process of orbing came into action; a shroud of bright white orbs of lights—just the same as those upon Artie’s departure earlier—enveloped the two almost completely. Throughout the transition of going from one locale to another, he found she was in awe.

Eventually the shroud of orbs dissipated, revealing to them their new destination. To him—it was the familiar confines of the magic school’s library, to her—a strange new place.

Raven obviously wasn’t in a state of panic with how she took in the surroundings.

A student was shelving books, but not in a conventional manner. It was obvious the girl was commanding them as they practically leaped from her hands and onto the shelves.

“Telekinesis?” Raven looked at him, surprised. “There are some here capable of telekinesis?”

“Yeah, practically anything that is considered magical—levitation, empathy, telepathy, shape-shifting—if it’s considered a possible form of good magic, it can be found here. This is a major hub for the teaching and practice of all of good magic,” Kane told her.

“Can I…?” Raven indicated her interest in exploring the grounds with a gesture made with one hand.

“Be my guest,” Kane told her. ”I’ve got a few people I have to talk to, so I won’t be gone too long.” He left her to take on the quest of finding one in particular he wished to speak with at the school in particular.

He had stepped several feet from the bookshelf the girl was now poring over, when he was approached by someone.

“Who’s she?” that particular someone came to ask of him. He turned to take notice of this certain somebody, a professor who was waiting for an answer.

“She’s one of my charges,” Kane told her. “She likes to read, and I thought I’d give her the chance to see the selection here.” His tone became serious. “Do you, by chance, know where I could find Leo?”

“Yes, he’s around somewhere,” the professor replied. “Any particular reason why you’re searching him out?”

“Yeah,” Kane replied. “There is. I need to speak with him on a matter that concerns him, his wife—and the Charmed Ones.”

“Okay,” she replied simply. She felt the need to push for further information, but let it drop. Instead, she led the way. “Follow me,” she said with a note of resignation, and led the way to where Leo was.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

“Danielle!!”

He had been searching for fifteen minutes, with no success in finding this particular Elder.

Finally, he had some success. He found her in the company of another Elder.

“Hey Danielle, could I speak to you?” Artie asked as he approached the two Elders. Danielle took note of his presence, breaking her previous conversation with the blond Elder in her company.

Danielle took a moment to study his face, noting the urgency held wordlessly in his expression.

“Is something wrong?” Danielle asked with a note of concern.

“I’ve learned a few new factors I thought I should inform you about,” Artie replied. “All Elders for that matter.”

“What is it Artie?”

“We managed to discover the identity of this new threat,” Artie told her. “The one operating just outside the city of San Francisco.” After a momentary pause, he continued. “Who is that girl that’s Kane’s charge anyways? She’s not the usual charge you see, and she knows stuff about magic, but was apparently oblivious of whitelighters and Elders at the same time. It just seems…I don’t know—odd.”

“He is destined to guide her, but I cannot say more on how or why. As for the identity of this figure at the center of the disturbance—“ Danielle trailed momentarily. “What has managed to be uncovered on that?”

“Some nut claiming to be the Source of all Evil, that’s what,” Artie replied. “One that Kane’s charge recognizes, as well as has dealt with. He’s an arch foe of hers and her friends. Strangest thing—the guy’s been to the underworld—and has been resurrected. The charge—the girl Raven—mentioned his name being Slade. Oh—and Kane managed to piece a bit of that prophecy he’s been working on together.”

“Kane managed to piece together a bit from those scrolls?” Danielle asked, obviously surprised. “What did he find?”

“He found that part of the prophecy describes the involvement of the Charmed Ones in it, a major one at that,” Artie replied. “ And it turns out Kane’s new charge is involved in it somehow too.” After a moment, he realized something, and stared at Danielle in the shock of the realization. “You knew this girl played a part in this prophecy, didn’t you? Is that why you set her up with him to begin with?”

“Partially,” Danielle replied. “There are other reasons why she became his charge.”

“Oh? What?” Artie asked.

“I am not at liberty to disclose that at this time,” she replied. “Kane must find the answer on his own, without help from you hinting it—or from anyone else for that matter.”

“Maybe I should inform the others of this new development,” the other Elder spoke up. She had remained silent up to that point. “As well as the Charmed Ones. They need to be informed of this, especially if there is a role in it for them to play.”

“I would appreciate that Sandra—as well as the rest of the Elders, and the Charmed Ones, of course,” Danielle told the other Elder.

“I will go and fill them in then,” Sandra said. She then orbed out, leaving Artie and Danielle alone.

“Keep an eye on Kane, Artie,” Danielle told him “He will be needing you, especially since you know him better than anyone. If ever his dark side comes into play, or if he has to reveal it, he will need your help in the process.”

“I’ll do that, Dani,” Artie replied, calling her by a pet name only known between the two of them. He smiled. “If the time comes for it to happen, I’ll be there for him. I know his secrets, and I’m not so easily swayed to reveal his dark past.”

“Where is Kane now?” Danielle asked.

“At magic school with that charge of his,” Artie replied. “They went in search of more answers to that prophecy.”

“That is good,” Danielle replied, smiling. “Perhaps you should join him in the research, and make sure everything is okay with him. This would be a terrible time for him to slip up.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Artie said offhandedly. “I’ll make sure he doesn’t slip in front of the girl—or anyone else for that matter. Magic school would be the worst place for it to happen.” Slight pause. “It sure wouldn’t be regarded highly for him to slip, considering it’s not highly appreciated of one in our line of work.” He grinned. “You know him best, and you know he won’t let that happen.”

“Thank you,” Danielle replied, smiling warmly. “Oh—there is one more thing.”

“What?”

“Keep watch over his charge Raven as well,” Danielle told him. “Her protection is as important as the need of it for Kane. Both of their lives highly depend on it.”

“”Okay…” Artie trailed. “Is this another one of those things I’ll only get a cryptic answer for—the reason for protecting the girl, I mean?”

“Be well, Artie,” Danielle said, giving no further reply to his questioning by removing her presence in the maneuver of orbing out.

He stood alone in silence for a while, eventually growing tired of the sense of being in solitude, and then he too orbed out.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment