Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Magic—Happens

Raven, the other Titans and the Charmed Ones face a prophecy that leads them to work together to fight against a foe they unexpectedly end up having in common. A crossover story for Charmed and Teen Titans.

Chapter 5 - Magic—Happens

Chapter 5 - Magic—Happens
Chapter 5: Magic—Happens

Books—everywhere, almost to the point where it was overwhelming.

And not one useless book among them—good, so good.

Raven was leafing through one she’d found on an upper shelf, using her given abilities to turn each page. The pages were rather yellowed, more so then any she’d encountered while in the earthly realm.

The contents contained in those texts were uniquely different from others she’d encountered elsewhere. She’d never seen the like of those in any library or bookstore she’d ever been to.

“Fascinating,” she said to herself in a rather low voice, as she continued to read. “A material worth investing time in.”

Students and professors alike shuffled around in the background, going on with their own business. She ignored them for the most part as she read the books of the most unusual magical library.

“Are you new?” she didn’t at first take note of the fact that someone was trying to get her attention. Startled by the fact when she did notice, she looked up to see whom exactly it was that was trying to get her attention.

The one who had spoken, she noticed, was a young blond girl, most likely not even just out of her teens. It was possible the blond was of the same age as she.

“Are you new here?” the blond woman appeared to be sick of intently waiting for the answer to her first questioning, and repeated it for better results.

Raven looked at the blond, finally finding the nerve to answer.

”Kind of,” Raven said. “I’m not a student here anyways.”

“I noticed you had the book levitating in front of you, and I came to wondering—are you a telekinetic?” the blond asked.

“Yes,” Raven said, shock evident in her voice as she replied.

“That’s cool, I’m one too,” the blond smiled. “It’s a cool power. Not the best in my case, but I wouldn’t exactly give it up.” She continued after a moment’s hesitation. ”You wouldn’t find it weird if I inquired for you name, would you? I like to learn the names of people I meet here.”

“No, I wouldn’t. Since I’m a stranger here, and you’re obviously well rooted here—“ Raven started to reply. “I go by Raven.”

“Interesting name,” the blond commented. “Well since I know yours, you have the right to know mine.” She smiled. “I’m Billie. Uh…is this your first time in this place?”

“Yeah,” Raven replied. “This is. Libraries like this are hard to come by where I’m from.”

“Where are you from?” Billie asked.

“Somewhere off the western coastline, in a city called Jump City.”

“Cool, sunny Cali,” Billie observed with a smile. “”San Francisco’s my home. So—how’d you manage to get here?”

“”A whitelighter named Kane brought me here,” Raven replied. “He called the process orbing.”

“Any particular reason?” Billie asked.

“Kane mentioned a prophecy, and had hopes of researching it further here. He said it was a good place to do that,” Raven said.

“Where’s he now?” Billie asked.

“Somewhere. Not sure where exactly. He said he had someone to visit, and he’d be right back,” Raven told her.

“What prophecy are you researching?” Billie asked curiously.

“Something with good and evil eternal darkness, and the involvement of a triad representing all that’s good,” Raven replied. “Kane referred to the triad as being that of ones known as the Charmed Ones.”

“Charmed Ones??” Billie exclaimed. She caught Raven a bit of guard. “”You’re saying there’s a prophecy involving—the sisters?? Is that really possible—again?”

“Something peculiar about that particular concept?” Raven asked. “The Charmed Ones involvement—I mean?”

“It’s just that—“ Billie paused momentarily. “Their destiny—they were told—was fulfilled after the last major conflict. They were told their fighting days were over. The very idea that that was a lie, and that they have to fight a foe that remains nameless and unfamiliar—“

“The foe isn’t unfamiliar—at least, not to me he isn’t. His identity won’t be a problem for them to try to uncover. Also, it was stated in the prophecy that they wouldn’t be alone in the fight,” Raven told her.

“Do you know something about this threat then?” Billie asked.

“I know him on a rather personal level. I’ve dealt with him countless times in the past, and fought him just as many times.” After pausing for a time, Raven continued in a tone lower than before. “The level in which I’ve had to deal with him is one that I never wished I’d ever had to.”

“Who is he then, and what does he look like exactly?” Billie asked.

“He’s called Slade—or at least that’s the name he’s given himself,” Raven replied. “ His appearance is one that’s easy to recognize; full body armor with just one eye exposed.”

“So that’s who that guy is,” Billie observed mostly to herself. “The supposed troublemaker—“

“You’ve—seen him??” Raven’s eyes widened a bit in shock.

“Yup, I’ve been keeping tabs on that guy,” Billie replied. “There have been reports of the Source’s return, and the Elders have been saying to keep them informed on any trouble there might be on that level in particular.”

“So, you know the sisters—the Charmed Ones?” Raven asked.

“Yeah, I know them rather personally,” Billie replied, smiling ironically. “When I was having sibling issues, they were there to help me destroy her—my sister.”

“Sibling rivalry?” Raven questioned.

“Nah, it just turned out she was pure evil.” Silence ensued afterwards.

“Do you think you introduce me to the Charmed Ones?” Raven asked hesitantly, breaking the silence.

“Yeah, I can do that,” Billie replied. “Are you a big fan of them or something?”

“Actually—no, it’s not that. It’s more a matter of necessity,” Raven replied. “The prophecy I mentioned makes note of that.”

“I can see if Leo’s here,” Billie told her.

“Leo—“

“Leo—whose Piper’s husband—one of the Charmed Ones,” Billie informed her. “He’d be the best to talk to in regards to the sister themselves.”

“Can you find Leo for me then?” Raven asked. “If—in order to talk to them, I have to go through him, he’d be a great place to start.”

“Okay,” Billie replied a bit uncertain. She wasn’t sure what to make of this girl, but she didn’t let the uncertainty overrule her better judgment. “Just follow my lead, since I know this place like the back of my hand.” She grinned, and led the way.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Leo had been working on some routine work when Kane was finally led to where the former Elder was by his unnamed guide.

“Leo, is there a chance your attention could be given to something briefly?” the professor guiding Kane asked when she had caught his attention.

“I’m here to help,” Leo replied. “What can I help you with?”

“It’s not me that needs anything,” the professor admitted. “This whitelighter here—Kane—does.” She made a motion with her hand to indicate whom she meant. “He asked to speak with you, and I led him here.”

“I know of a few things I thought were vital for you and the sisters to know about,” Kane spoke up. “It might actually be of interest to the whole of the magical community, actually.”

“What have you picked up, and how does it involve the sisters?” Leo asked. The professor took that moment to make a silent exit.

“A lot, actually,” Kane told him. I’m sure most have heard something about threats just outside the city limits of San Francisco—and that they might be from a supposed return of the Source.”

Yes, I’ve heard of those,” Leo said. “You’re also right, the magical community has as well.” He took a moment of silence. “Has there been any substantial proof to those rumors at all?”

“Actually, that why I came to speak to you,” Kane replied. “The threats and rumors are very real, very true. Most of what’s been going on matches up with a prophecy I’ve been researching, and there is some indication of the sisters being involved in it as well.”

“What exactly does it speak of, and what role do the sisters have to play in it?” Leo asked. “I’m just asking, because what concerns them also concerns me. I know that they—as well as myself—don’t want to deal with anything as unpredictable as the last major predicament.”

“The prophecy states that the three of them—with one other—will be the ones who will keep from having an eternal darkness set in. The darkness will be brought on by the return of the Source. A charge of mine helped to identify him,” Kane said, pausing briefly. “She told me she has fought him, defeated him, among other things on several occasions. Plus, she told me he’s been resurrected.”

“Can your charge come here to speak of what she knows?” Leo asked. “Anything she could know that would help?”

“I can get her, since she’s around here somewhere,” Kane replied. “Problem is—where? She’s kind of taken a fancy to the extensive reading material selection of the library, seeing as this is her first visit here, she could’ve wandered—“

”Just go look for her. I’ll still be here when you get back,” Leo told him.

“Leo, are you by chance busy at all?” A voice from the other side of the closed door spoke.

“Sort of, what do you need?” Leo replied.

“Someone’s here for you.”

“Who is it?” Leo asked.

“Billie and another girl. Do you want me to show them in?”

“Yes, show them in,” Leo said. To Kane,” Why don’t you go in search of your charge while I talk to Billie?”

“No need,” Billie said as she entered, obviously overhearing what Leo had just said. “Your charge is right here.” After Billie’s entrance, another girl entered hesitantly.

Her entrance was quiet, cautious. Showing curiosity as she looked around, she eventually rested her eyes on Kane.

“Would you be Kane’s charge?” Leo asked the girl.

“Yeah, even though the concept is still new to me,” she replied.

“Are you still rather new to all of this—magic, that is?” Leo asked her. “I know how that can be with how the sisters were when they came upon the knowledge for the first time.”

“I’m not exactly new to it,” she replied. “I was kind of born into it. It’s just the whitelighter, magic school thing that’s rather new to me.”

“Can I inquire about your name, and what you know of this threat that this whitelighter told me about that you know something on?” Leo asked her.

“Raven,” she replied. “This threat—the one everyone has been claiming to be the Source, is called Slade, and he’s a calculative, cunning—evil—individual.”

“Kane told me he was once resurrected. What can you tell me on how that is?” Leo asked.

“Yes, he was resurrected, at my own father’s doing,” Raven replied in a low tone. “I would rather not say where my so-called father is from, was purely evil in bringing him back, acting as a messenger for the arrival of a supposed destiny I’d spent all my life running from and trying avoid. I was supposed to bring on the end of the world.” It was evident there was emotion she was trying to suppress, but no manner could keep it from being expressed in her eyes. “I was only to be used for his certain purpose, and the man was the one to rudely bring it to reality. It’s only like him to make a deal with a demon, he’ll do whatever is possible to get a second chance to live—and ruin my life in the process. I wish he’d have stayed dead, or stayed permanently removed from my existence after our last encounter with him.”

“You have a demonic father??” Billie exclaimed in surprise. “Is that even possible?”

“Balthazar is a great example of that being a possibility,” Leo told her. “It’s not a highly advised option to use, as some cases do have adverse affects.”

“I guess we’re all allowed our dark side,” Billie said. “For some, it’s engrained. Others—they let it get their better judgment.” She expressed hints of remorse and guilt in her grim expression.

“That dark side can affect anyone. The line between good and evil is so indistinct it can hardly be seen most of the time. The best can go for the worst, and the worst can end up being the ones that surprise us all,” Leo said, smiling sadly. “”I’ve seen both turns too many times to count.”

“”The best thing is to have hope—have faith,” Kane spoke up. “Let yourself be the judge, and not anyone else. Life is only what you make of it.” He found that Raven was staring at him. “Words I live by,” he said in reply, shrugging. “They keep me going, especially with the life I’ve lived.”

“Is there a particular method that’s best to use on this Slade character?” Leo asked her. “”I need to know so the sisters will know what their up against. Anything you could tell us might be of use.”

“Can you give me more on this Source?” Raven asked. “Like his capabilities? Anything you could tell me on that could be useful.“ Pausing for a moment, something came to mind. “Is this Source capable of bringing on nightmares and realistic visions based on deeply embedded fears—bringing them to life?”

There was some obvious concern on the other three’s faces from what she’d just said.

“What makes you ask that?” Kane asked after a moment of dead silence, breaking it. Up to that point the girl’s gaze had been aimed directly at Leo, coming to aim her gaze towards him instead of the former Elder. There was obvious fright in her eyes when she looked at him.

“I’ve been having nightmarish dreams and visions based on that,” Raven said. “Pretty much for the last few months. They’re horrid to see, and I see them even when I’m awake.” Tears welled in her eyes.

“What are the nightmares of?” Kane asked with concern.

“A fear of a hellish variety,” Raven replied. “ One that represented the horrors that best fit my father. Fire, dancing flames, evil dancing in with them—it always overwhelms me. I always awake screaming if it’s just a dream, and the visions when I’m awake do the same. I don’t do fear, but this has frightened even me. Being as my powers are emotionally based, the offset of this can lead to some nasty consequences as an after-affect. “

“Emotionally based powers are fairly common,” Leo said. “The sisters powers are very much controlled by emotion. Piper tends to blow things up when overly angered, and unfortunately I’ve been the victim of it a couple times.”

“What happens when your emotions get out of whack?” Billie asked.

“Let’s just say the surrounding take on a life of their own,” Raven replied. “Could there be any way that these nightmares are connected to magic in some way, or am I going mad?”

“I believe these waking nightmares you’re talking about probably have a connection to magic in some way,” Leo said. “Matter of fact, that sounds eerily familiar, like I’ve dealt with it on some occasion, or have known of someone else that has.”

“Sounds kind of demonic to me,” Kane noted. “Subconscious torture of that level sounds vaguely familiar, like the workings of a darker being practicing the darker side of magic. Problem is, though,” Kane took a moment to scratch the side of his head, and then continued. “I can’t think of who the culprit is.”

“So—it’s not the Source that’s causing me torment?” Raven asked him.

“It could be,” Kane told her. “But it’s not his usual method of operation. It sounds like someone else’s doing.”

“Should I ask the sisters about this—see what they know about fear-filled nightmares?” Billie asked.

“Since I have things to tend to, so I can’t bring up the matter with them myself, it might be nice for you to bring it up with them—as well as introduce this whitelighter and his charge to them as well,” Leo replied. While turning his gaze towards Kane, “After you introduce yourselves, have your charge here fill them in on what they possibly will need to know. Piper likes to be informed; she hates unpleasant surprises.”

“Will do,” Kane replied, smiling. “Want to make the trip short by just orbing there?” He asked Billie.

“Sounds good,” Billie said.

“We’d better head then,” Kane said. Looking to Raven, “Ready to meet the Charmed Ones?”

“Y-yes,” Raven replied. “At least—I think.”

“Let’s get going then,” Kane said. “We have a task to work on.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment