Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Luck of the Draw

Raven, the other Titans and the Charmed Ones face a prophecy that leads them to work together to fight against a foe they unexpectedly end up having in common. A crossover story for Charmed and Teen Titans.

Chapter 7 - Luck of the Draw

Chapter 7 - Luck of the Draw
Chapter 7: Luck of the Draw

Oblivious to the fact that her sisters were searching for her, Paige Matthews was doing what she had been assigned to do: keep tabs on her newly assigned charge.

Her charge wasn’t local to San Francisco—the city her sisters wished she’d be in at that time—but in another California coastline city altogether.

She had been assigned to her new charge a few weeks earlier, in the city of Jump City. The girl was a new witch, just coming into her powers and her destiny. Seeing as she was new to the craft, Paige was wary on introducing herself as being her guide just yet, in order to prevent scaring the girl to death. While she waited for the right time, she kept watch from a distance, making no effort to seem conspicuous—or like she was following her charge.

Paige was on a park bench across the way, and her charge was working a shop just across the street. Paige had a newspaper in hand, and she pretending to read it.

She heard some soft weeping coming from somewhere not far from the park bench where she was stationed temporarily. Startled by it, she looked around to try to discover its source.

The weeping was coming from another park bench just across the way—from a girl that was sitting on it. With the source now identified—Paige took that as the opportunity to pay closer attention to the full identity of that weeping soul.

She was a teenage girl, probably a high school student, with honey-blond hair flowing past her shoulders. She appeared to be dressed in a school uniform, a very non-descript one at that. She had her head bowed slightly, her blond hair flowing around her face. She had her face buried in her hands.

Paige approached the bench where the girl sat, trying not to make it too obvious that she was listening in on the girl. The girl mumbled a few things as she wept and sobbed, Paige catching a few strings of what she said.

“I don’t want to go back to being that,” the girl said between sobs. “It took to much out of me last time. I almost died, and others almost did too. It took so much just to leave it behind—get control---but if I get dragged back in…”

“Having abusive issues?” Paige spoke up. “Is someone trying to hurt you?” Her voice was filled with concern; she was obviously not aware of all the girl had been mumbling about.

The girl was severely startled by the fact that someone had been eavesdropping in on her one-person conversation, as well as surprised that someone had cared to ask. It was almost as if the girl never expected anyone to care enough to even ask if something was wrong.

“You overheard me?” the girl questioned. “And you came over to confront me on it??”

“Hey, I was on that bench over there and I saw you crying. I got all concerned about it, came to see what was up, and overheard the last bit of what you were mumbling,” Paige replied. “So—is someone trying to hurt you?”

“I doubt you can help me,” the girl murmured.

“You’d be surprised what I can do,” Paige said to her.

The girl looked at her, examining her with serious blue eyes.

“You don’t by chance work with the titans—do you?” the girl asked her.

“The who?” Paige said.

“You know, the teen titans, the save the world types that reside right here in the city,” the girl told her. “Wait—you don’t know who they are?”

“Not really,” Paige admitted. “What do they do exactly?”

“Save people,” the girl replied, shrugging. “Would you really want to help me? Are you really concerned?”

“Yeah, I do actually,” Paige replied. “Cause helping’s my kind of thing too. I like to help others—all kinds of others.” She paused momentarily. “So—what’s your trouble?”

“Remember how I mentioned the teen titans?” the girl asked her. “Well, it sort of involves them.”

“Hey, I just thought you said that they—“ Paige began to say.

“Yeah, they do help people, and they’re not the ones causing me trouble—directly anyways. The one who is causing the trouble is linked to them—and the past, and that past hurts to even bring up,” the girl spoke softly. “There are things I’ve done that I’m not proud of, and I was hoping those were left in the past. That certain somebody wants to bring back those bad memories—and make me relive them. That’ why I was suspicious of why you even seemed to care about my crying on this bench in the first place.”

“Anything that can be done?” Paige asked.

“Hm…maybe you can get in contact with the titans, since I really don’t want to,” the girl replied. “You see my story is this—I had these powers, powers that were too strong even for me to control. I asked someone to help me—which was a big mistake. He made me turn on those that had been the closest to friends I’d ever had, and it almost destroyed them in the process—and me at the same time. That someone died, and I was freed—but imprisoned. I got out of that later, and tried to put it all in my past, trying to never again use or possess the power that had almost destroyed me. I was able to move the earth, something that was fun at first, but something I never want to possess again.” She fell silent for a time, continuing when she felt she could. “Well, that someone is back—and is trying to force me back into that life—and forcing me to use the powers I’ve been trying to avoid since. To keep myself from being completely connected to that past, I feared to ask the titans for their help in this, but maybe you can fill them in for me.”

“Where exactly do I find these titans? Can you tell me more about them—like names?” Paige asked. “And—what is your name? Any chance you could fill me in on who this someone is—what he’s called, what he looks like?”

“They’re located in a T-shaped tower by the bay,” the girl replied. “The titans consist of five teens—Robin the leader—and the rest: Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy. That someone is Slade. And my name—Terra.” Paige thought the girl had finished, but it turned out she hadn’t. “Oh, and can you keep me under low profile—not let them know where they can find me? If I had to ever come face to face with all of them again, those bad memories would become a reality for sure. Promise me you’ll keep me from getting involved with this fight of theirs with Slade?”

“Yeah, I can do that,” Paige responded.

“By the way—who or what are you?” the girl, Terra, asked.

“I’m what they call a whitelighter slash witch,” Paige said. “A supernatural do-gooder whose part guardian angel.” She smiled at that thought.

“Well, you must be my guardian angel then,” Terra responded, a smile brightening her darkened face ever so slightly.

“Yeah, I guess I am,” Paige said. “I’m going to look into what you told me. Where can I find you if you need me—or vice versa?”

“Around,” Terra replied. “And now—a little more about Slade—“

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR

After his visit with Danielle Artie had taken the chance to just chill and relax. He had headed back to his dwelling—the house by the sea—and spent some quality time enjoying the silence.

Seeing as it was a common practice that whitelighters and Elders used meditation to keep harmony over their being, Artie was at that time in particular practicing that very rite of peace of mind. In the middle of the state he sensed the fact that someone was beckoning him.

Seeing no reason to continue, he ended the session to see what it was he was being summoned for in the first place.

Upon descent of the orbing process, he came to realize where it was from that he was being summoned.

“Is this—the Halliwell Manor?” he exclaimed as he took in the surroundings.

“Yeah, it is,” he turned to take note that his friend, Kane, had been the one who spoke, as well as the one who’d summoned for him. “The prophetic dilemma brought me here.”

“What were you calling me for?” Artie asked him.

“I was hoping you could, um...” Kane started to reply.

“Uh, you’re not going to ask me to play matchmaker between the two of you—right? Cause I’m not really all that great with that kind of stuff—even as a favor from an old friend,” Artie said.

“”Huh?” Kane exchanged a look with his charge, taking note that she was just as confused on that matter as he was. “No—no, it’s not what I was going to ask. What I meant to ask was if you could track down Paige—one of the Charmed Ones—for me? You’re better with that then I am.”

“Oh really?” Artie teased slightly. “Yeah, I can track her down.” He gazed his friend directly in the eye. “Are you sure you don’t want me to—the two of you—?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Kane answered.

“Okay, I’ll go find this missing Charmed One for you,” Artie replied, orbing out afterwards.

“What exactly did Artie mean about the whole matchmaking thing?” Raven curiously asked Kane.

“He didn’t mean anything, Artie’s just playing around,” Kane replied with a nervous laugh. “He’s always been quite the joker.”

“So—you think the idea of us—matchmaking—is a joke—something to just laugh at?” Raven replied, sounding a bit hurt.

“No, I don’t think it’s a laughing matter. I’m not saying that. It’s just—“ Kane found himself making direct eye contact with her. “I’m in no way trying to insult you—or make you mad. It’s just—“ he paused, looking her straight in the eye, noticing the luminous amethyst glimmering in her big eyes gazing back at him. He also took note of the pale shade her skin was, so pale—taking note as well that she stood just mere feet from where he was. She watched him as well, every movement studied by her sheer curiosity. “I’ve just had so much on my mind lately, and the thought just never—“

She had advanced ever so slightly, bringing her closer, closer—

He’d been in a slight fog to that time, bringing him back to reality to realize the advancements she’d been making up to that point. He countered the advancements; she too took note of her actions and backed away to prevent its further occurrence.

“I don’t know why I did that—I’m not sure what I was thinking,” Raven murmured. “I don’t do that normally, nor did I ever think I’d ever—“

“I know what you mean,” Kane replied. “Same thing applies to me.”

“What do you mean—?“ Raven began to question

“It was strictly forbidden for me to have a non professional relationship at any time—a whitelighter rule. No romance allowed between a whitelighter and their charge,” Kane told her. “Along with the restrictions I’ve had to make with how my past is set up, I didn’t dare commit to anyone for that particular reason. That hidden part of who I am prevents a lot of interaction on that level.”

“So—is it still strictly forbidden?” Raven asked.

“They’ve been more lenient about it over the last few years,” Kane replied.

“Is it still in effect for you?” Raven asked.

“Kind of—yeah,” Kane replied. “Since I never had to deal with one on one relationships of that kind, I never had to deal with the issue, or its consequences. None of it—relationships, romance—love.”

”With the destiny I had, I never thought I’d need it either,” Raven said. “I’ve never been really close like that with anyone—not even my friends.”

“I have to wonder—do we still have to avoid it, even now?” Kane asked her.

“What is so important that it had to get another whitelighter involved just to track me down?” another voice exclaimed. The voice belonged to a woman, who made an entrance at that point, taking notice of the two there. “Who are you?” she asked them.

“A whitelighter, Kane,” Kane replied. “And my charge—Raven.”

“Why does that name sound familiar—“ the woman trailed. “Are you the whitelighter that’s been trying to get in contact with me?”

“Yes—and no,” Kane said. He turned his attention towards the girl who was his charge. “Raven, this is the third of the sisters, Paige.”

“I would be the one whose been trying to contact you,” Artie interrupted, only being noticed as present at the point where he spoke up. Kane noticed the grin on his friend’s face.

“I didn’t see you orb in. How long have you been standing here, watching?” Kane asked his friend, giving him a peculiar look.

“Long enough,” Artie replied, grinning broader.

“Why didn’t I take notice of you being here then?” Kane questioned further.

“I didn’t feel like interrupting that little precious moment that was occurring when I got here,” Artie replied. “I didn’t want to prevent her—and you—from kissing—“

“We were not going to—“ Kane began to protest.

“Can someone fill me in please?” Paige spoke up. “Seeing as the Manor is more my territory then anyone else’s here, I at least need to know what’s going on here.”

“There’s been some new developments Paige,” Phoebe began saying as she entered the room where they be at that moment. “Looks like trouble’s knocking on our door again.”

“So—you know what the deal is then?” Paige asked her sister.

“Yeah, we’ve been filled in,” Phoebe said.

“Where exactly have you been lately?” Piper asked Paige.

“Checking in on a last minute assigned charge,” Paige replied. “The Elders assigned me to a witch just coming to her powers, and was informed to keep an eye on her 24/7 for the last few weeks.”

“Where is this new charge located?” Piper asked. “I’ve been wondering where you’ve been, and you haven’t been around town lately.”

“She’s in a town to the south of San Francisco—Jump City, I think it’s called,” Paige said.

“That’s where I’m from,” Raven spoke up. “Whose your charge there?”

“Hey—you’re from Jump City?” Paige exclaimed. “I knew you name sounded familiar—“ She paused for a moment. “You wouldn’t by chance be part of a team there called the teen titans—would you?”

“Yeah,” Raven replied. “But—how would you—“

“I met up with a girl while I was in that city, saying something about this guy called Slade trying to terrorize her and needing to get in contact with the titans,” Paige replied. “I think the girl said her name was Terra.”

“So Beast Boy was right when he said Terra was back…” Raven found herself trailing. “What exactly did she say when you ran into her?”

“She said this Slade character wants to manipulate the powers she had that he had control over some time ago for his own purposes, and she’s trying to avoid it to avoid the bad past she said connected with him and the titans—you I guess. From what I picked up, that past wasn’t pretty, and she highly regretted it,” Paige said. “Who is this Slade character anyway, and what’s he up to? I’d like to help this girl from having to live another hell from the guy if I can help it. Helping people’s what I do, after all.”

“Well, sis, you’ll be happy to know that we’re going to be dealing with the guy—even if you hadn’t run into that girl along the way that needed help,” Piper said. “Turns out this Slade character is trouble, and that’s why that whitelighter—“ She looked at Artie, apparently not remembering what his name was.

“Artie,” he reminded her.

“Artie was trying to track you down. He apparently is a new threat we have to worry about.” Piper finished.

“We? I thought we were out of the demon fighting business as the Charmed Ones,” Paige pointed out. “What kind of threat exactly?”

“The Source kind of threat,” Phoebe said. “Apparently—this Slade’s contending for the throne—to be the Source of all Evil.”

RRRRRRRRR

Raven had strayed from the group formed of witches and whitelighters, taking the chance to wander around the interior of the Manor. She meandered down a hallway, up a flight of stairs that apparently led to the upper most level—the attic.

Like most any ordinary attic, the space appeared to be a storage space—a space filled with past memories collecting dust.

In the middle of the room stood a bookstand, a book resting upon it. The cover was o a forest—maybe emerald—green. Out of curiosity, she went to investigate it further.

Embellished on the cover of the worn book were three words, Book of Shadows.

“Different,” she muttered to herself.

She went to open the book, check out its contents. In the process of opening the book, she felt a slight static sensation in her hands, and then—nothing. She was startled at first, but she shrugged it off and continued to turn the cover to reveal the contents.

She paged through the yellowed pages, leafing past one monstrosity to another. She didn’t really recognize most of the monstrosities contained in those pages.

“Taken to the book of Shadows, I see,” she was startled that a voice had cut the silence she’ been in up to that point. She took note that the voice belonged to Kane. “I see that the book likes you.”

“Why would a book would choose to like me or not?” Raven asked him. “It is just a book, after all—right?”

“The Book of Shadows isn’t your everyday ordinary book,” Kane replied, leaning against the frame of the doorway. He was smiling. “It’s kind of picky about its readers. Only those who don’t have evil intentions can even get near it. It has to trust the ones using it, so usually only those who have a good soul even go near it. If you had bad intentions the book would’ve leapt off the stand it’s on.”

“I might have dark origins, but I only intend to do good,” Raven replied, smiling slightly. “Uh—what’s a wendigo?”

“Something—a creature that’s a lot like a werewolf, that—just read the entry. If you’d like, there’s an entry about the Source in there somewhere if you want to check it out—learn a bit more on him,” Kane told her. “For future reference, at least.”

Raven leafed through the book to the passage in particular that Kane had mentioned.

“Great, like Slade really needs to add this to his evil resume,” Raven muttered bitterly as she read the passage. “So—the sisters have dealt with the Source, I take it.”

“Yeah, more times than anyone else has on a one on one basis anyways,” Kane replied. “Once as his original self, once as a reincarnate that took over Cole, and a third time when someone else tried to resurrect him entirely. All three times the Source was vanquished.”

“Three times?” Raven looked at him, surprised. “They should be pretty good at vanquishing him by now.”

“The Cole incarnate one was probably the hardest—considering how he was the love of Phoebe’s life at the time,” Kane replied. “The second time took more out of them then any other time.”

“Cole was the half demon one, right? Balthazar?” Raven said.

“Yup.”

“And he and Phoebe were in love?” Raven exclaimed.

“Yup.”

“Even when he was the Source?” Raven exclaimed.

“Yup,” Kane again confirmed.

“That’s a lovely thought,” Raven muttered sarcastically. “How did she even deal with being married to The Source of all Evil anyways?”

“She handled it very carefully,” Kane replied with an ironic smile.

“So—“

“Weren’t you going to contact that green boy or something?” Kane interrupted her.

“Uh—maybe in a bit, but first—“ Raven turned her gaze to him. “—What time is it?”

“I don’t carry a watch, and there weren’t any digital clocks here that I have seen,” Kane replied. “And the only thing that does tell time is a grandfather clock downstairs—and I’m not sure how accurate it is. It read about nine o’ clock last time I checked.”

“Nine PM?” Raven exclaimed.

“That’s what I figure,” Kane replied.

“Well, if it really is that late, maybe we should ask someone downstairs for the correct time. If it’s really that late, it might be time to call it quits for now and start up in the morning,” Raven said.

“That might be a good idea,” Kane replied. “Let’s go ask.”

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

“Yeah, I wanted to help the girl, but I didn’t intend for it to end up being the Charmed Ones kind of help,” Paige spoke bitterly.

“Well, sweetie, things happen for a reason,” Phoebe said to her. “Maybe it was destined for you to run into that girl—Terra—so that it could get you involved. Whether we like it or not, sometimes destiny isn’t always as direct as we think. Maybe ours wasn’t that clear after all.”

“Yeah, well—if having been assigned to that charge was just a way for me to meet that girl and get involved—I still don’t like it,” Paige replied. “Maybe now that I know why I was told to watch that charge I can take a break from it and check in with Henry.”

“Anyone know what time it is?” it was the voice of the whitelighter—Kane—that spoke up, with all those present taking notice of his presence there.

“It’s nine-thirty,” Paige confirmed. She took a moment to get a really good look at the whitelighter’s charge. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“What?” Raven said in reply.

“Uh—what are you exactly?” Paige asked with a sheepish grin. “”You don’t look like any type of magical being I’ve ever encountered, and…well—“

“I’m—different,” Raven replied. “Just…different. That really all I can say to describe myself.”

“Well, with your hair being purple like it is, I was—“ Paige began to say.

“Zip it Paige,” Piper cut off her sister in mid sentence. “Action now, questions later. She can reveal her personal info at another time. Right now there are other things to worry about.”

“It’s really nine-thirty?” Raven exclaimed, as if in some way to confirm it.

“Yeah,” Paige replied, checking her watch again. “Actually—it’s just turned to nine thirty two. “ She stifled a yawn. “Too late to check into this head-case Source wannabe-archenemy of yours right now. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep, and besides, I need to check in with Henry.”

“Hate to say it, but—I have to agree,” Piper said. “Even though hate is kind of a strong word to use in this case, since I’m not too thrilled with this re-emerging destiny thing and all.”

“Call it a night?” Phoebe suggested.

“Yeah,” Piper said. “Leo should be back soon, and I intend to make the best of his arrival when he gets here.”

“Did you want to head back to that tower home of yours—back to your friends, that is?” Kane asked his charge. “If it’s getting late, and unless you wanted to go elsewhere, I can take you back—“

“Elsewhere?” Raven replied. “Where else exactly?”

“Me—well, we—Artie and me, that is, have a place outside the city you’re welcome to crash at, if you don’t feel like heading back—“ Kane told her, hesitating on the final note for just a moment. “To that tower—your friends.”

“I’d have asked if you wanted to stay the night here,” Piper said to Raven. “If your whitelighter doesn’t insist on you going elsewhere, or back home. Whatever you want to do.”

“Maybe…” Raven trailed a moment. “Maybe…it might be nice to stay elsewhere for once. Are you really sure you’d want to keep me up for a night—at you place, that is?”

“I’ll leave that up to you,” Kane replied. “I won’t force any decisions on you. The sun tends to set at this time, and the view of it is spectacular at this time of year. We’d have to go in the next few minutes in order to catch it before it goes down completely.”

“Hey—you want to have me check in with those friends of yours for you?” Artie asked Raven. “I’ve got nothing better to do, and I’d be happy to fill them in and the like for you if you want. I can also inform them on where you’re at and how you’re doing, if you want as well.”

“Okay,” Raven replied. “Yeah, sure.”

“I’m gonna go catch some shuteye,” Paige spoke up. “See you in the morning—or whatever.”

“Tell Henry I said hi!” Phoebe told her.

“Will do,” Paige replied, orbing out afterwards.

“I’m gonna go check in on the boys,” Piper said. “What about you, Phoebe? What’re you up to now?”

“Get some shut eye, like Paige. I’ve gotta go to work tomorrow, and I need to relax and sleep so I can function,” Phoebe said.

“Take Coop, get some rest, and I’ll see you tomorrow,” Piper said to her.

“Will do,” Phoebe said as she and her cupid headed towards the exit.

Billie had been rather quiet to that point, only finally being acknowledged as the group dispersed.

“I guess I’ve got schoolwork and some studying to do,” Billie said. “I’m going to go do just that. I need to study anyways. There’s a test coming up that I can’t blow off.”

“You go study then,” Piper told her. “And if you get the chance, research this threat further when you can.”

“Will do,” Billie said, and she too left the premises.

That left Piper alone with the whitelighter and his charge, which wasn’t a long lasting thing in itself, as the two them left not long after Billie departed.

Kane had asked if she was ready, and she replied with a simple “yes”. In the aura of blue and white in the process coming to be known as orbing, they departed of the Halliwell Manor to a sunset in a yet undetermined destination.

At least—for Raven it was undetermined. Kane knew exactly where he was heading.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment