Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Home By The Seas

Raven, the other Titans and the Charmed Ones face a prophecy that leads them to work together to fight against a foe they unexpectedly end up having in common. A crossover story for Charmed and Teen Titans.

Chapter 8 - Home By The Seas

Chapter 8 - Home By The Seas
Chapter 8: A Home By The Sea


“This place sure looks different from the outside,” Artie observed to himself as he stood on the outer premises of the great T-shaped tower before him. He had hesitated to knock, or make any efforts to have his presence to the inhabitants of the tower occupying it at that time.

He had decided against just orbing in on the inside of the building, he was partially concerned he’d get the same results out of the tower’s occupants that he’d gotten from Raven earlier that day. Instead he stood at the main entrance and knocked on its main door.

He was taken aback by the technology he saw just at that entryway, seeing with how he was completely technologically illiterate; he hadn’t really chosen to learn the operating systems of the latest and greatest technologies. He could orb where he needed to be, so what use did he have for technological tools?

He took his time before finally wrapping on the great door, a tinny metallic echo followed in its repetitive progression afterward.

“Sure hope that was loud enough to get someone in there’s attention,” he mumbled to himself as he waited.

What felt like eons seemed to pass before anyone from the interior made an attempt to answer the door.

He half expected the one who’d answer the door would be that green one he’d met before, but was surprised to find that it wasn’t.

A half mechanical marvel instead would be the one to show up to answer it.

He was half mechanical, half biological, from what Artie could perceive.

“Who are you?” the half mechanical man asked as he answered the door and took notice of the tower’s visitor.

“Hey, that’s one of those orby dudes that was here earlier!” the green one Artie had expected to answer came running up beside the one who actually had. “Uh—what was your name again? I’m not sure I ever caught it.”

“Artie,” he replied simply.

“Uh…where’s Rae, and that other orby dude that was here earlier?” the green one inquired.

”You mean Kane?” Artie asked. He got a nod in reply. “She crashed at our residence for the night. They went to check out the spectacular sunset view a little while ago.”

“That’s different of Rae—“

“Uh, are we going to stand here all night to converse, or are you gonna let me in?” Artie asked.

“Uh—come in,” the half mechanical man made a gesture to show Artie in, and Artie followed suit.

“Uh—do guardian angels ever play video games?” the green one inquired as they headed upwards in the elevator.

”Video games—those simulations that are controlled by a device on a TV screen, is that what you mean?” Artie asked him.

“Yeah.”

“Nah. I’m kind of technologically illiterate,” Artie replied with a goofy grin.

“Technology illiterate—you’re ancient, dude,” the green one said.

“Give or take a century or two,” Artie replied.

“Century??”

The two looked at Artie in shock, obviously taken aback quite a bit by the century bit.

“A—couple centuries?” the half robot stammered.

“Yup,” Artie confirmed.

A ding was made to indicate the elevator had reached its destined floor, with the door signaling towards that fact with their opening.

The floor plan was revealed before them as the doors opened, with the rooms beyond being fairly well lit. The view from beyond---seen through transparent panes of a glass-like material spoke of the city beyond being in its evening hours, the city alight in artificial light contrasting with the darkened night sky.

“Don’t you have other people that occupy this tower?” Artie asked the two who’d shown him in. “I could’ve sworn there were others mentioned somewhere along the line—“

“Yeah, two others—besides us two, and Rae—who you’ve obviously met,” the green one informed him. “Star’s missing in action, and Rob went out search for her.”

“What was your name again?” Artie curiously asked the green one. He glanced over at the mechanic-human hybrid. “And—how about yours as well? I never caught it, and calling you a half robot in reference doesn’t sit well with me for some reason.”

“Beast Boy,” the green one replied.

“Garfield,” the half robot added teasingly. He got a disapproving look in response. “Hey—that is your real name,” he pointed out, adding. “And by the way, so I make it clear that it’s not mine, I’m Cyborg.”

“Interesting,” Artie mused to himself. “Have either of you managed to uncover anything in the past several hours or so by chance?”

“Well, we had a brief connection with Star, which gave us some visuals on her location,” Cyborg reported. “She had been grounded, Slade was in her company along with some unfamiliar onlookers. One of them stepped forward, waving his hand in front of his face, said a few things, and then Star started screaming. We lost contact completely not long afterward.”

“Can you describe this guy for me?” Artie asked. “The one waving his hand in front of his face—that is?”

“Dressed all in black, hair completely a silver shade, looked middle-aged—why, do you know him?” Beast Boy looked to Artie peculiarly.

“Yeah. That would describe the demon of fear to a T,” Artie replied.

“Demon—of fear?” both stammered in unison.

“Yup. He brings fears to life to feed off them,” Artie replied. “The results can sometimes be fatal.”

“Fatal?” Beast Boy exclaimed. “You mean—fears can kill you??”

“Not directly. That would usually be the result of seeing the fear, and doing something to avoid it that ends in death as a result separately,” Artie told him.

“I think Rae mentioned the dude in my connection with her earlier,” Beast Boy said. “Some lady that was with her described the dude—I think your guardian angel friend also said something about him. I’m still wondering who all those folks are—since Rae never did get around to explaining.”

“I think your friend Raven has had her own experiences with Barbas—aside from what’s already been pointed out,” Artie said. “She said something about having horrific nightmare visions that fit what Barbas is known best for. Apparently he was playing off her fears for some reason.”

“There was this period where she was constantly screaming—something about nightmares coming to life and all that. I managed to get it out of her that it was involving her evil dad, visions of nightmares of the reality he once threatened her with,” Beast Boy pointed out. “I thought she made them up—that they were just a part of her imagination. The whole ordeal with her father was traumatizing for her, that’s for sure.”

“Are ya saying that Star was screaming because this Mr. Fear made her see what she fears most?” Cyborg exclaimed.

“Probably,” Artie shrugged. Noticing that Cyborg’s eye went wide, he added, “What?”

“Rob’s out there, looking for her,” Cyborg replied. “And Star’s worst fear could become a reality because of that.”

“What fear might that be?” Artie inquired.

“She’s in love with our boy Rob, and we’ve gotta keep him alive because of that,” Cyborg replied. “Cuz if we let it happen, she’ll really live out the fear of losing him—right in front of her, with no way to stop it.”

CCCCCCCCCCC

With the sun having cast its last amber rays of light hours ago, shrinking into the distant horizon, the two had since retreated into the residence atop a cliff by the sea for shelter for the night.

Kane had disappeared, mentioning he’d be in the kitchen. Meanwhile, Raven had found a book in the study aside from the living space to keep her busy, taking to a nearby chair to pour over the contents of the novel in hand.

She hadn’t really noticed Kane’s absence until a nearby grandfather clock chimed the marking of the hour being just before midnight. Realizing the hour was late—she looked up from her book to stifle a yawn.

“Where—“ she began to question aloud the whitelighter’s whereabouts, but found there was no need to finish—he showed up to provide the answer for her, without words.

“What are you reading?” Kane curiously asked as he found a seat in a chair across the room and took to it.

“Just something I found on the bookshelf,” Raven replied. “Where have you been?”

“Out,” Kane replied simply. A moment of silence followed, and then he continued. “Remember that talk we had at the manor—the one about my dark side, I mean?”

“Yeah, I remember,” Raven replied. “What about it?”

“Well—that dark side has some unwanted consequences,” Raven replied. “Some ill-fitted after affects.”

“Why would it have—“ Raven began to question.

“Well, my good side—the whitelighter in me—gives me the angelic side of my nature—orbing, etc; and my dark side…night time plays on the dark side of my origins—my nature, including things associated with that half. By day, it’s easy to play the guardian angel role well, but when darkness sets in…the facade is very hard to keep. Darkness of night brings about outbursts that are sometimes out my control.”

“What kind of outbursts?” Raven questioned.

“Whatever powers my father had,” Kane replied. “My mother said he was an upper level demon, but never informed me on which it was. The blood ties I share with him also tie me to the powers he had. Energy balls, some really nasty ones I really don’t feel like mentioning—they play a part in my life that really makes it hard to get close to too many people. It’s hard to even be romantic when you have to fear the most romantic of times being destroyed by it—that being the nighttime.” He fell silent for a moment. “I was absent from your presence because—I didn’t feel it would be right to endanger you while I was in that state.”

“Um—where exactly are my sleeping arrangements set up to be at?” Raven asked him awkwardly. “I’m getting tired, and it is getting late—“

“The spare room in the back—I set it up for you,” Kane replied. “Do you intend to sleep in what you’re in, or do you want something else? Because if you needed something—I have something I found that might work—if you want, that is.”

“Huh?” Raven looked at him, momentarily perplexed, as she then looked down at what she was wearing, then back up to him again. “I usually just wear what I’m in now, but if…since you are offering—“ She paused momentarily, hesitating before continuing. “What exactly is it that you have to offer?”

“A white robe—it belonged to my mother,” Kane replied. “I’ve had it around for ages, and since she isn’t a large woman—she’s actually fairly petite—I figured it would fit you fine—probably perfectly for that matter.”

“Since it isn’t a loud obnoxious color—and you think it’d fit perfectly—“ Raven was caught up in thought for a moment. “I guess…I’ll accept the offer.” She smiled slightly, awkwardly. “Now—do you think you could show me to my room for the night?”

“Yeah,” Kane said simply, showing her the way to where her sleeping arrangements were located.

RRRRRRRRRRR

Kane led Raven to the room he’d mentioned, leaving her alone so that he could call it a night for himself and headed to bed.

She found the garment in question resting on the bed in the room, taking note that he hadn’t been wrong about the length of white fabric. She slipped into it, finding I wasn’t unflattering at all. She stashed her other garment in a place for safekeeping, out of the way and in a place she’d remember come morning.

She found that the room she was in to be hued in fairly neutral tones. The walls were an ivory shade, painted with a semi-gloss paint. The carpeting was a mixed blend of neutral blues and grays, the surrounding furniture appearing to be fairly ordinary.

On a bedside table made of a rich antiqued wood right next to the bed—possibly made from mahogany, stood a carved statue of what appeared to be that of a gargoyle possibly from marble. It stood just about a foot and a half in height, the rich swirls of dark and lighter grays blending in equal brilliance—which was a trademark of the stone it was crafted from. It appeared ancient as well; possibly crafted by the hands of somebody from decades ago—or even centuries.

She found it odd for some reason, but paid it little mind otherwise. She stifled a yawn, realizing just how tired she was, giving her no reason to dwell on the gargoyle’s existence any further.

She was fairly exhausted; she just didn’t realize how much until she’d gotten under the covers and readied herself for slumber. It was practically automatic from that point.

She fell asleep—and began to dream.

RRRRRRRRR

She thought she had woken up—that it was morning, the break of day—but it was not. There was no such bright light marking that it was daytime, no daytime sounds of birds chirping or anything else to announce the arrival of morn—nothing.

Just a blur, her vision blurred almost to the point of incomprehension.

What she sensed around her felt very real, but at the same time—not so. It was actually more surreal than real.

There wasn’t much to make of her surroundings; all she managed to see around was caught in a haze that she felt almost blind in. What she did see was just a haze of peachy amber all around her.

Where she felt her vision had betrayed her, other senses surprising didn’t follow suit.

For one, although she couldn’t see, she could sense that she was lying on her back; something that didn’t seem too off to her. She apparently had just woken up—after all.

It wasn’t that fact that would seem out of the ordinary to her, but rather the strange sense of warmth and cold existing at the same time. The warmth was apparently provided by an ambiance of candles just outside her visual perception, but the chill—it remained unexplained.

She had to investigate the oddity for herself, but not from relying on her sight. She had to rely on other senses to retrieve any answer she could.

She traced down towards her neckline with delicate fingers, in hopes of discovering some form of fabric to speak of. She found there was a lack of it.

She furthered her search, only finding that her fingers ran over her own skin.

That explains the chill, she thought.

She came to the grim conclusion on her situation at that moment, after her search had been deemed thoroughly complete. Her vision lost a fraction of its haze, and she was able to confirm what she suspected visually.

Thankfully, she sensed she was alone, something she was rather grateful given her present situation.

She shivered. The exposure left her feeling chilled, and she went in search of something that would alleviate that. All she came across that was even remotely substantial was a filmy sheer piece of fabric. Although it didn’t leave much to the imagination, it provided adequate cover that was obviously better then nothing.

It has to be a dream, she thought to herself. The surroundings seemed odd—candlelight ambiance, slight essence of incense, and linen fabric sheets beneath her—almost more the product of an erotic fantasy rather than what she usually dreamt about.

“Why am I—“ she spoke aloud, her voice sounding echo-like, more like the substance from a dream state than anything real..

“Sh, you don’t have to question anything anymore,” she got a response she was not all expecting, from a presence she didn’t even suspect was there. “It got past that point a while ago. No need to worry; everything’s good, like it’s meant to be.”

The voice was vaguely familiar, yet she just couldn’t pinpoint from exactly where—

“What do you mean—?“

She felt a shift from the surface she was on, but she couldn’t pinpoint the source. She knew she expressed having been startled as a result, but she hoped she didn’t show more then that.

She felt a hand run through her hair, brushing hair behind her ears gently.

“I know it took me a while to realize where I was destined; but I am no longer lost, I know my path now. I don’t fight it anymore.” A few moments of silence, and then the voice continued. “I can finally show how I feel, and not have to hold anything back. I can finally say ‘I love you’ without worrying over the consequences that could happen afterward as a result.”

She reached outwards to try to confirm the identity of the one in her company, with no luck. All she managed to grasp was air.

“I love you,” the voice spoke again, soft and tender. “And I know I always will.”

She felt something touch her leg, bringing on some strange sensation. The unidentifiable contact she felt was just above the knee, mere centimeters from the sheer fabric she had managed to find as cover. Its locale was towards the inner section of the leg.

Slowly, she felt it move upward, upward—

KKKKKKKKKKKK

It had been a late night for Kane. It had taken him some time just to get to sleep—hours after he’d left his charge alone for the night.

When he did manage his sleep was fitful, mostly because of thoughts conflicting his mind, not allowing him to sleep soundly.

He had forgotten to mention to his charge the full truth on just who his father was; he was afraid to disclose that truth to her just yet.

He had told her his mother was a whitelighter, his father an upper level demon—that much was true—he just left out which upper level demon it just happened to be.

He always had nightmares; he didn’t make any efforts to escape them. The demon his father happened to be was what brought them on, he was the type of demon who was of a true enough evil just a to single thought of him could bring on nightmares.

He couldn’t go about easily telling her just who exactly his father was; at that very moment one of her greatest enemies was an incarnate of that very same creation, and it wouldn’t exactly be easy to inform her that what her arch nemesis had become was one in the same as his father—the Source of all Evil.

He knew he’d eventually have to tell her; after all, she had a right to know.

He managed to get to sleep yet again, caught up in a dream world that was a far cry from reality. The dream was peaceful, unlike the others, and his charge—the girl, Raven—was in it.

She was in a flowing white dress, a cloak of the same ivory white flowing behind her in a gentle breeze. The rays of the sun gave her an aura that was about the same as the blue white lights of the orbing process.

Or was that just an effect of the sun—

She looked to him suddenly, her expression peaceful and the words she spoke that followed coming from her with ease.

“Thank you,” she said, her following smile being soft and pleasant. She continued, “It means so much that I could rely on you through all those hard times we faced. It helped me understand so much.”

He wasn’t sure he should question what she meant with what she said. She might think it odd that he was clueless to what she was talking about, and he didn’t want to ruin the moment of serenity emanating from the girl. He’d picked up—sensed even—that she normally would never have a serene air to her, but he found her pleasant atmosphere to be relaxing to say the least, and didn’t want to blow that.

She continued with the same soft smile still expressed on her face.

“It’s all good now,” she spoke. “And will be from now on.”

He took notice that a faint halo was starting to form around her, a half ring of animated blue-white light orbs forming. The bright-lighted orb halo intensified the longer he looked at her. He couldn’t comprehend the meaning, and she gave no reason on her own why they were around her in the first place—

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Kane awoke, the dream still fresh as the sleep departed company in his mind as his head was cleared of it. Daybreak was marked with sunlight filtering in through the shades over his window.

The girl had had a halo, he remembered; it seemed oddly familiar to him for some reason, but what—

“It doesn’t matter,” he muttered to himself. “It was just a dream, and dreams hardly ever make sense.”

Deciding it was just an odd product of a weirdly hectic day; he shrugged it off and got up.

RRRRRRRRR

It was hard for Raven to shake off the dream she’d had that previous night, even well into the waking hours. She couldn’t quite grasp what it meant, or who else was in it. She didn’t understand why she’d even dreamt it to begin with.

Erotic—it just wasn’t her type of thing.

She didn’t know what to say about it; all she could do was shrug it off as just a pointless fantasy of a flustered mind, or instead take it to be some kind of distorted, fragmented bit of a premonition?

Could it really be a piece of the future—?

She had nobody to discuss it with; Kane might find it weird that she consoled with him on a dream she’d had that was erotic in nature when it was harder to just take in the fact he’d lightly gripped her hands briefly the previous day in that unconscious gesture of reassurance that she’d ended up questioning him about. She figured whitelighters weren’t there for that kind of guidance.

The sunlight had brightened up the room that was hours ago darkened with night. She eventually got herself up off the bed, and went to explore some before the day could take her in its grasp again and occupy her to its full extent outside her own needs of that moment.

She needed to see if Kane was up, and that’s just what she did.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment