Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Bond

James has always been different from evryone else but when Melexa the vampire tells him why his life takes an entirely new dirrection. Enimies will be made and eventually James will be forced to make a decision.Can he make the right choice.

Chapter 2 - Bond

Chapter 2 - Bond
Steven ran home after what happened. His house was in a clearing near the forest. Steve was stumped. He wasn’t sure what he should do about James. He was obligated to tell the leaders but if he did he’d be betraying his best friend. And if the leaders found out that he was keeping this a secret he could be severely punished. But James didn’t have to be their enemy; if they got to him first he could be protected from the vampire clan that had just taken interest. Steven had no choice. He had to tell them. As soon as Steven entered the house everyone was already there.
He knew by the two wolves guarding the front door. He was sneaking by the living room when the eldest man in it called him over. The elder was an Indian named Skyhawk, descendent of the one who started the pack. “Steven” he said just as the boy had gotten past the doorway. He froze and stepped back into the doorway of the living room.
“ Come hear.” The elder said. Steven hesitantly walked into the room. “ A coven has sent someone out on reconnaissance. We’re not sure why, did you do anything to anger the Coven of the thorn?” his father asked. His hair was the same color as his sons but cut short. He also had a stubble growing.
“ No” he said turning to leave. “ I sense you are holding back.” The elder stated. The gaze of the men and women in the room turned to him. The smell of smoke was strong in this room. There was a short pause.
“ Tell me, what do you hide?” The elder asked leaning forward. “ … Someone was watching me. I was under the bridge at the river. I didn’t see who it was.” Steven said. “ You were with someone?” the elder asked him. “…No.” Steven replied. He left for his room after that.
They all knew he was lying. James’s scent was still on him, just another downside to being a were-wolf.


* * *
James sat on his bed while July painted his toenails. Today was light purple. Although James would never admit it he like painting them. July had gotten him into the habit of it. James heard his window open and his head snapped up.
He didn’t move, he didn’t scream. His eyes were wide with fear. A young man with red eyes and blond hair was standing beside the window. He was casually leaning against the wall. “ G-go get mommy.” James said to July, pointing to the picture on his nightstand.
She immediately got up and left. “ Hm, I like purple.” The figure said sitting on the bed, casually taking the nail polish and painting his own nails. James didn’t move. “ Sleeping” July, said when she came back. “ I knocked her out.” The stranger explained.
“ Who are you? What do you want?” James asked. “ Melexa. And I want you.” Melexa said poking James’s nose. He yelped and jumped back, hitting the wall. Melexa laughed. “ Relax, I was only kidding” He chuckled.
“ You’ll be fun to tease.” He said. There was a short pause as Melexa admired his left hand. “ Why are you here?” James said. “ I was sent to explain your condition.” Melexa said. “ Condition?”
“ Lets just say you’re not completely human.” Melexa replied. James’s eyes widened. “ Ironically your friend was right.” “ No…” James mumbled shaking his head. “ I know it’s hard to except but” –
“ GET OUT!” James shouted. “ Get out! Get out! Get out! Get out!” He looked angry. “ Whoa, take it easy I’m just trying to”- “ Why should I believe you! You knocked out my mom and broke into my room! I should call the cops!” he yelled. “Now listen” – “ No you listen! Get out! You’re a crazy liar! Crazy liar!” At that James couldn’t hold back the tears anymore.
“ Get out!” he sobbed. James curled up in a ball and shook, trying to choke back sobs. The poor kid obviously knew but didn’t want to accept it. Melexa put his hands on James’s back in a comforting manner. “ You’re only half. You still have a choice.” James looked up at him. He wanted to deny it but he knew it couldn’t.
“ I know how much it hurts.” Melexa said. They sat like this for about twenty minutes in silence. James knew he couldn’t be lying. How else would he know? “I used to be just like you.” He said changing the subject.
“ Only I was a girl.” “ You were a girl!?!” James’s head snapped up in surprise. Given his slim appearance it made sense. “ Yeah, something went wrong with my transformation.” Melexa said. “ I’ll explain the details when you’re older until then I should explain things to you.”
James looked at the vampire confused. “ You see pure-borns are rare. It’s almost impossible for a vampiress to get pregnant. So most have human wives. This creates a Halfling much like you self. Then when they come of age (usually twelve) or decide to join a coven we make them full bloods the same way we adopt humans.” Melexa explained.
“ So you’re here for me?” James asked. “ Your case is different. We don’t know which clan you belong to or even if you belong to one at all. There for, unless we want to star another blood war we cant forcibly take you. And even if you weren’t in a coven or a clan our coven doesn’t want to smear its name. “ Melexa said. “Oh” James replied confused. “ We’d like to except you into our coven so the door will remain open until you decide.” Melexa put his hand on James’s head. “You’re still young so it would be best if you thought allot about it”
“ was that what you meant when you said I had a choice?” James asked. “ No. You can stay the way you are sense you can still produce red blood cells. Full vampires cant do that without all the components which is why we drink blood in the first place. But you have to be careful. The reason why vampires run through it so fast is because out white cells have to feed off of the red to heal wounds. It’ the same with half lings like you. And if you stay this way then once you become an adult (20 not 18) your ageing process will slow. And as you get older the cravings will become stronger and harder to control. Which is why it’s a good idea to join a coven so if you decide to drink blood then you can be well fed. You should know, it’s forbidden to kill humans for food so watch yourself. But if you decide to go the other way then you should eat a lot of, vitamin C, Protein, Iron, and sugar based foods. That should keep your red levels up and your cravings down.” The Vampire explained.
“ But listen, if you plan to do that then you can never taste another’s blood. If you do it’ll become an addiction.” “ … It also might be a good idea to stay away from that friend of yours. He’ll be trouble.” Melexa said after a short pause. “ Why?” James asked. “ I’m not allowed to say, the Thorn (my coven) want you to figure it out on your own.” He said getting up. “ I’ll be stopping in near the end of every month.” And with that Melexa left.
He moved so fast that James didn’t get a chance to speak. “ James, honey? Are you alright?” His mother asked poking her head through the door. She didn’t seem to remember anything, like it had never happened. “ I-I’m fine” He said. “Well close the window before the mosquitoes get in.” She said shutting the door. “ Was it all a dream?” he wondered.


* * *


Melexa walked into the underground compound of the thorn. Most of there little hideout was made of stone but they had managed to make it homey over the last few decades and had added steal doors. The compound was underground simply because it was away from sunlight and easily hidden. “ I like this one, he has potential.” Melexa said leaning backward onto a shelf. “ He’s mine if he decides to join” the blond said seriously.
“ That’s the heads decision,” a male vampire said. He had purple neck length hair and his eyes were red. He was sitting at a round table. His name was Leks. “You’d think I wouldn’t ask him?” Melexa answered.
“ Besides I need a fledgling, and James is someone I can understand.”
“ You sure that’s not just your hormones talking?” another said jokingly, appearing from the shadows. His name was Navy; he had green hair that went down to his back, blue eyes, and a skinny build. He wasn’t affected by sunlight. He usually wore jeans with a matching jacket but had decided on a plain white T- shirt. Unlike Leks who was normally wearing a black gothic looking overcoat with a hood.
“ I’m not a pedophile.” Melexa smirked. Navy nodded. “ Don’t get too attached.” He said. Melexa glared at him again. Only this time it was in a lighter manner.
“ I’m not that kind of person.” Melexa said turning to the side. “ How much have I missed?” “ Not much.” Leks said. “ The ware wolves are onto us, they know we’re looking for something” “ Steve” Melexa whispered.
“ Who’s Steve?” Navy asked. “ One of James’s friends, probably his best.” Melexa said. “ He’s one of them isn’t he?” Leks asked, a look of disgust crossing his face. “ I’ve advised James to stay away from him for awhile, but I cant be sure he’ll follow my advice.” Melexa explained. “ Why don’t we just kill him!?!” Leks piped up.
“ You really think that will earn his trust? Besides this is his choice. He doesn’t know yet but if he wants to go into the protection of the wolves we cant stop him.” Melexa stated. “ Who knows, maybe he’ll make a good playmate for you.” A Blue haired vampiriss joked. She was standing in the shadows next to a doorway. Melexa slammed his fist on the shelf and left through the doorway beside her. “Chill” Navy said.
“ You started it.” She retaliated. “ He just finished the transfer to a he, Melexa doesn’t know what preferences are his fit yet.” Leks stated. “ So, doesn’t change the fact that he was a she.” The blue hair said. “ That’s what I’m afraid of.” Leks replied, grimacing. “It’s not that bad” She argued.
“ But that’s what Melexa’s afraid of.” Navy said exiting the room. No one questioned this. They had been friends since “she” was still a Halfling. They both grew and learned together, although Navy was learning a different set of rules. He was only part vampiric; the rest of him was human.
Which was why the sun didn’t burn his skin. No one knew why, not even him, but he didn’t feed off of blood but ecstasy wish was why the Thorn hadn’t made him full blooded. There was no telling what could happen. But despite that he liked having a tether to the human world. Even thought it drove his human side crazy. Senses like his did come in handy though, but complicated. For one, he knew just the way that people (humans particularly) looked at him. He already knew everyone’s love interest on which they were lusting after. He could smell different hormones and pheromones. And whenever someone was turned on he knew it. So he could sense Melexa’s confusion. Not only that but humans in particular seemed to flock to him. But despite all of this he and Melexa were still pretty close friends.



* * *

For the next day James maintained a distance from Steven, trying not to look to suspicious, he figured that even if it was a dream or a wired hallucination that it would be better to let go of his friend then to drag him into trouble. He tried righting a letter but after the first sentence of trying to explain he couldn’t Wright anymore and cried. He didn’t know why it bothered him so much but he didn’t want to know what would happen when they weren’t friends anymore. So instead he tried to stay his distance while trying to figure out what Melexa meant. Who knew, maybe it really was a dream and James was a sleepwalker.
That would explain his window. He honestly didn’t understand why Melexa had said that. Why would having Steven as his friend be a bad thing? Or maybe it was the other way around. James gripped his pencil.
Why did he have to be a Halfling? Why couldn’t he be human? Who knows. This was worrying him; it had brought up so many questions that he couldn’t answer. What would happen when he got older, what if someone found out and told everyone.
Would his sister ever tell anyone or Melexa? What if Steven told someone? No, he wouldn’t do that, besides he was a kid, who would believe him? But what if he told someone when they grew older? If there weren’t any proof Steven would be locked up.
But James was more worried about something else, What if he hurt Steven. He tried not to think about it but it was all he could think about. Although Steven wasn’t very clumsy he still managed to get scraped up once in awhile. “ James?” a teacher by the door asked. She was from the special Ed class.
“ You should come see your sister.” “ Why? Is something wrong?” he asked getting up and walking to the door. July had had a fit and was hiding under a table crying. She hadn’t stopped and her tantrum had started early on into class. They had thought since her autism made adjusting to a new environment difficult that it would be best to let her get it out of her system but she only seemed to get worse.
They had tried to calm her by playing music she liked and giving her a snack, they had even tried to get her to join in on a game, but she only shrieked away from people. When they entered the room she was under a large table holding her pink rabbit. “ July?” James asked. She stopped crying looked up at him and out stretched her arms, crying again. James crawled under the table and hugged her.
They sat under the table for a while before he asked what had happened. “ A student tapped her on the shoulder and she screamed and ran. He didn’t understand what was going on so he tired again, but she only hid under the table. He asked what was wrong and tried to force her to face him but that only made things worse. When the teachers saw what was happening they separated them and when she calmed down enough they tried to approach her again the same way like her booklet instructed. “The teacher said.
“She doesn’t like being touched on her shoulders, that was were mom would grab her when she was in trouble or wasn’t paying attention.” James explained. “Strange, that wasn’t in her help book.” The teacher said. “ She wasn’t sure when we made it, I’ll make her make a new one.” James said. By this time July had stopped crying. “ Thank you James, I’m sorry this happened I hope things will be better for her tomorrow.” The teacher replied.
Eventually July got involved with another game and James headed back to his class. “ He’s a nice kid.” She thought as she watched him leave.


* * *

“ What happened?” Steven asked as James walked into the classroom, it was almost the end of the day. “ Nothing, July just had a fit, that’s all, nothing more.” James replied sitting next to him. “ Oh, well uh… wanna hangout after school?” He asked. James forgot to answer.
“ There will be food.” Steven said trying to tempt him. It never worked but James threw him a Glance. If Steven was making and excuse like that it could be important. “ What’s up with you? All you’ve done today is sit around.” Steven asked. “ You know you can tell me anything right?” Steven said. James didn’t answer.
What could he say? You were right, I met a vampire who invited me to join his coven and he explained everything? Also what exactly did that word mean? How would he take that? Steven knew he was hiding something, he just hoped it wasn’t anything big.
“ Is it your cravings?” “ No.” Steven replied snapping to attention. In fact, now that he was eating right he felt better. “ Okay then let’s hangout at my house.” Steven asked. “ M’kay” James replied.
He knew it might be a bad idea but James couldn’t exactly listen to a total stranger. Also Steven hadn’t had him over in awhile. “ It’s Friday so you can spend the night if you want.” “ Okay.” James said with a little more enthusiasm. When they had gotten to James’s house his mother agreed.
James was hurriedly packing when the window slid open. “ Hm? Going somewhere?” Melexa asked. James yelped and gasped in surprise. “ James?” his mother called. “ I’m fine?” James said closing the door and blocking it.
“ What are you doing hear!?!” he whispered. “ I’m stopping in remember? I’m supposed to stop in on Fridays at the end of each month.” Melexa said. So it was real. James wanted to kick himself. “ So were ya goin?” Melexa asked stepping through the window.
“ Steve’s” James said looking at the floor. “ …I see. Well be careful.” Melexa said. “ Eh?” “ You’re old enough to choose your own friends, just don’t let the secret get out.” “Ehm well…” James stammered, shifting uncomfortably.
“James? Whom are you talking to?” his mother asked, twisting the doorknob. “Don’t come in! I’m not wearing pants!” he said grabbing the knob. “ Why, whom were you talking to?” “ Em, I split a hole in them while I was talking to my imaginary friend, Bob!” James Blurted. Melexa had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing.
“ …Okay.” His mother said more then a little confused. “ I’ll come back tomorrow,” Melexa whispered. With that he stepped out the window shaking his head. As soon as Melexa was gone James Practically tore off his pants and ripped a hole in them. This day couldn’t get any worse.
Not only did he need new pants but also he was pretty sure that Steven had the letters W.T.F.? Stamped into his expression.


* * *

Steven lived on the edge of the forest. His father and the rest of their “pack” had inherited it from their ancestors. He was happy to be out of the house and running on the dirt road. James mother might not be very sharp but he was. He could hear everything they were saying and James’s room smelt of another person.
Steven wanted to, but he didn’t ask. When they reached the house his father was sitting in the living room with his uncle. Said uncle was only wearing dirty jeans and no shoes. He had brown hair and tan skin and a muscular build. They weren’t really related by blood but they might has well have been since they were pack mates.
“Hey” he said from the living room. He said when the boys ran past the entryway. “ Don’t I get a hug from my nephew?” he said standing. Steven ran back to the doorway, grinned and tackled him, slamming the man back into the couch. “Stronger?” he asked.
“Yeah” his uncle laughed coughing. “ I told you.” His father said. “ Uncle this is James, my best friend. James, my uncle Rock.” He said. “ It’s nice to meet you James.” The man said politely. “ Nice to meet you too.” James said quietly.
He looked friendly but there was something about Steven’s dad today that said that he should stay in the hallway. “ Your cousins are upstairs in your room.” Rock said. “ Crud, and I just cleaned it too.” That made the two men laugh as Steven and James rushed upstairs. After the chuckles had ceased Rocks face went serious.
“ That’s him isn’t it?” The other nodded.

* * *
When Steven opened the door James saw what he meant. Toys were strewn on the floor and both children were jumping on the beds, which were on both sides of the room. On the wall in front of them there was a curved window with a window seat. To the right was a girl in an oversized t-shirt tailored to be like a dress. Her hair was a dark brown, almost black and she had Indian features that made her look a little Asian.
She was at least eight. Her brother on the left was nine, soon to be ten and his hair was a dark brown. He only wore pants like his father and both children were wearing stretchy black ankle bracelets. “ Hi Steve!” the girl chirped, Jumping onto the floor. It was a miracle that she hadn’t landed on anything.
“ Who’s this?” She asked gesturing to James. “ This is James” Steven said. “Nice ta meet’cha.” The boy said landing beside his sister. Again it was a miracle he didn’t land on anything. “ I’m Rent this is my sister Rose.” He said extending his hand.
When James shook it the boys’ nose twitched. Rose was studying him curiously. “ Lets go outside” Steven said. “ We can race to the stream.” The two kids shouted an “O.K!” and the four were off and running. The men Glanced up as the kids thundered by.
“ That’s going to be tough. Especially if we cant get James on out side.” Rock said once the door was closed. “ I don’t know. I can’t believe this. I mean I let him hang around my kid. If something happened…” “ Don’t talk like that.” Rock said to the other man. “ Steve is a smart kid, he knows the rules and he can stay out of trouble. And as for James he seems like a nice kid. I’m sure we can get his to our side.” “ I know, but lately Steven has gotten into trouble. His teacher called saying he didn’t want to eat his lunch and you know his appetite. I’m worried something’s wrong with him.” The concerned father said.
“ Maybe it’s a phase. You never know with kids. Who knows? Maybe he’s just sick of school food. Rose refuses to eat anything that looks off,” Rock said. The other sighed. Maybe Rock was right.



* * *



The run to the river was short. James was surprised at how fast Stevens’s cousins ran through the woods, especially since they weren’t wearing shoes. They were even a little faster. Now that was something. However the two were acting a little strange. Rent seemed to be subconsciously avoiding James while his sister favored him.
It was odd but maybe it was because girls understood him a bit more then boys. (Excluding a few) “ We should play tag team,” Rent said grabbing Steven and jumping across a line of rocks. The two disappeared leaving James to wonder how the two hadn’t tripped over each other. “ What’s tag team?” James asked curiously. “ We split into two teams and tag the others. Like freeze tag.” She explained. Rose jumped over the rocks and James followed, crossing the river. “We’ll catch them faster if we split up.” She said.
“Alright.” James said. She ran to the left and he went to the right dodging branches. Rose seemed to be planning something but he didn’t know what. So he searched for Steven, he wasn’t sure about running into Rent. Something about him seemed… hostile.
James didn’t want a fight but it seemed inevitable as he picked up their voices. The strange thing was, they weren’t talking about the game. “ You knew!?!” Rent practically shouted. “ Of course I knew, he’s my best friend.” Steven replied. “And you didn’t tell anyone!” He seemed upset.
“ I though we could trust you.” He said. “ Rent.” “ No! You know what Happened, You know what they did and he’s one of them! How can you be friends with that thing!?!” Rent shouted. “ I just can, he’s not like that!” Steven replied. “ How do you know that!?!”
“ Because he’s not full!” “ So, that doesn’t change anything!” “ But that doesn’t mean he’s bad!” “ That doesn’t mean he’s good either!” “ Will you shut up and listen! I’ve known James since we were seven! If I say he’s good! He’s good!” Steven shouted.
James was utterly shocked. Why were they talking about him like that? Did Steven know? There was a short pause, he wanted to run but he just couldn’t move. “ Well if you’re choosing him over your family”-“ I’m not choosing anything! … And you’re not family! “ Steven interrupted. Judging by Rents expression Steven had crossed a line.
“ How can you say that? We’re pack!” Rent was just as shocked. “ Dad and Rock are pack, you and Rose are pack. We are not pack.” Steven said. He stomped off in the other direction. “ You can’t change that Steve!” Rent shouted after him. James slowly backed away and then broke into a sprint.
Pack? What were they? James didn’t have time to figure that out as he crashed into Rose.


* * *

Dinner was silent. Rose seemed to know what was going on, James and Rent refused to acknowledge each other, and Rock tried his best but they refused to speak. Meanwhile James was preoccupied with his own thoughts. Steven was hiding something, something important. They never kept secrets, well except for the toenail thing but wasn’t important, this was.
He had the hunch that Steven knew. He knew what James was but he hadn’t told him. James felt like he had been lied to. But in reality Steven hadn’t said anything. Just nothing.
And James didn’t know why. “ You’re all unusually quiet tonight” Stevens father said. “ Especially your friend.” Rock gestured to James. “ Eh, my mom’s actually thinking about putting a bell on me.” James said shyly, making everyone laugh. “Well kids, it’s about time we left.” Rock said putting his kids plates in the sink. “Thanks for having us over.” “ It was nice meeting you James” Rose said as they left. There was a short pause. “ So, who wants ice cream?” That got the boys to perk up. After the ice cream the boys went up stairs to listen to the radio.
They were both sugar high and jumping from one bed to the other. Steven was currently banging his head and playing air-guitar to the music. The two switched after the song. “ …Rent thinks Rose might like you.” Steven blurted. James gave a startled yelp as he slipped off the bed, making Steven laugh.
“ But she’s two years younger then me!” Steven paused. Two years was a big difference. “That’s probably why he wanted to warn you. I don’t think she cares.” “ You’re starting to sound like Rent.” That got Steven to stiffen. “ Kids, it’s time you got to bed, it’s eleven thirty.” Said Stevens father as he poked his head into the room.
“ No more jumping on the beds either, you’ll both break them.” He laughed. James Plopped onto the bed wile Steven turned off the radio. “ Night.” Steven said as his father left. “ He’s right it is late…” “ Yeah but I’m not tired at all.” Steven sighed.
There was a long pause. “ Didn’t you have a T.V. in hear?” James asked. Steven smiled, picked up a portable T.V. out of a pile of cloths and set it in the window seat. James got up and joined him. After hurriedly turning it on the screen turned static.
“ Darn it” Steven said giving it a good whack. It only flickered. He tried moving the antennas but it did nothing. “ This thing’s older then I am.” He explained. They sat in silent, listening to the white noise and enjoying the glow.
The light flickered off, startling James. “ They’re timed” Steven said with a grin. They continued to stair at the screen. It flickered and the channel came in, showing a horror movie. “ Alright.” Steven said satisfied.
He continued to stair at the screen excitedly. James watched as the killer ripped tore apart a persons chest, making blood splatter everywhere. He knew it was fake, but that didn’t stop his heart from racing at such a site. After all it was scream three. He felt no craving but James’s breathing quickened.
Steven glanced at him “ James? Are you okay?” Steven asked touching his shoulder. “ I’m fine.” He blurted. “ Am I…excited?” he thought. James honestly felt like laughing like a maniac. He had to suppress a smile.
“ We should sleep” Steven said and turned off the T.V. James looked up at him as he walked by. Steven got into bed as James walked to the right. When they were both settled Steven put his hands behind his head. He had taken his ponytail out and set his glassed on the nightstand being him. James stared at the ceiling, a worried expression crossing his face as thoughts of before crept into his mind.
“ Whoa!” “ What?” “ Your eyes, they glow in the dark.” Steven said as he watched the green orbs blink. “ Hey yours do too!” James said facing him. “ Wow.”
They both stared, Green, looking at yellow. “ You remind me of a wolf,” James blurted. “ Really? Huh… a were wolf eh?…” Steven said staring up at the ceiling. “ Then I guise that means I’ll just have to eat you!” He said jumping up and tackling James. He yelped and dodged.
They chased each other around the room, Laughing and yelling and screaming. “Guys!” Stevens father shouted from the hallway. They immediately jumped back to their beds. There was a short silence before James burst into giggles. Eventually they settled down into staring back up at the ceiling again.
“ Hey, where’d my hair tie go?” James said rubbing his now messy hair. “ I think I pulled it out.” Steven said sending them both into a fit of laughter. Once the laughter had seceded they both silently stared at each other. By now it was midnight. “ I really remind you of a wolf?” Steven asked.
“ Yeah, I think it’s your eyes, they’re yellow.” James replied. Steven looked up at the ceiling as if thinking of something. James silently wondered why a movie like that had seemed so exciting. Gory violence wasn’t something he enjoyed. Maybe it was some sort of instinct?
Who knew, it was something he would have to ask Melexa later. The two laid there, not speaking, wrapped up into their own thoughts. James had so many questions but was afraid to ask. What did Steven mean by full, and pack? And how did Rent know what he was.
He wasn’t even aware Steven really knew until this afternoon. Why didn’t Steven tell him? What were the two boys hiding? James wandered in his thoughts, trying to decide if he should risk asking it. But if Steven was keeping a secret did he really want to know?
He wasn’t sure. The two lay silently until the sun came up without saying anything. Neither slept. The faded light was hurting James eyes. “ S-Steve?” He stuttered out.
“ Yes?” Steven said facing him. “ What did you mean when you fighting with Rent?” He asked sitting up.”…I over heard.” James said guiltily. Steven didn’t know how to answer, he was obligated to keep that a secret, but he couldn’t if it was about James. “…My cousin thinks you’re the enemy.” Steven sat up.
“ Enemy of who? … You?” “ Us.” Steven didn’t want to look at his friends face.
“ What do you mean?” James asked. He was testing Steven. James already knew the answer. Steven sighed. “ … You’re not human!” Steven blurted.
“ Not…? And you weren’t going to tell me!?!” Steven didn’t say anything as James got up. “ I was freaking out and you didn’t say anything!” James was hurt by this new discovery. Steven was AlWAYS honest with him. “ Steve! You can’t hide these kinds of things from me! It’s not fair! You know that! I was really scared! I…I could have hurt someone!” He was nearly in tears by now.
He knew what he was but Steven didn’t say anything. He put every one at risk. “STEVE!” Steven didn’t say anything. “ You already know don’t you?” Steven said without looking at him.
“ Yes I do. I can’t believe you kept this a secret! I COULD HAVE KILLED JULY!” Tears ran down James’s face. He simply couldn’t take it anymore. There was a long silence. “ ... What did you mean by us?” “ I cant tell you.” Steven said.
“ Why not! We never kept secrets! You promised after we met!” Steven felt like hiding. “ You had a secret.” Steven said. He was right, there were things James had never told him. “ But I told you.” “ You still had it!” Steven shouted.
“ How can you be mad at me when you’re hiding something yourself!” “ That’s not the point! You were always hiding something! Always! And Besides that not my secret to share!” Steven shouted. “ Steven…” “ I’m sick of you! Just drop it!” Steven Shouted. James eyes widened.
The expression on his face made Steven want to cry. James bolted for the door. He ran down the stair, grabbed his bag, and left. Stevens father tried to catch him at the door but James was simply to fast. He ran home in a full sprint despite the fact that his vision was too blurry to see.
When he entered the house he burst into the living room, startling his mother and sister who had gotten up early. The two were playing with a set of wooden blocs to pass the time. She took one look at him and softened instantly. “ Oh James” she said walking around the couch and hugging him as he sobbed.
He had just lost his best friend, and he sobbed harder then he had in his entire life.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment