Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - meeting the Thorn

James has always been different from evryone else but when Melexa the vampire tells him why his life takes an entirely new dirrection. Enimies will be made and eventually James will be forced to make a decision.Can he make the right choice.

Chapter 7 - meeting the Thorn

Chapter 7 - meeting the Thorn
Since that day nothing had changed. Tyler was still Tyler, he and his friends’ still bullied people, and James was still their main target. Tyler just avoided annoying Steven now. James wanted to know but he kept his mouth shut, he figured that it was probably personal. On the day before his birthday Melexa woke him in the early morning.
“ It’s about time that you met the Thorn.” Melexa said still sitting in the window. “But it’s Sunday. My family has church today.” James said. “I see, another time then?” Melexa said slipping his legs out the window. James paused. It wouldn’t be that bad right?
Lately James didn’t feel like he belonged at church anymore. “ I want to meet them.” He said. “ Alright, what time?” “ Any.” James replied. “ Okay then” Melexa grinned.
“ What?” his father said a little surprised at breakfast that morning. “ They invited me at the last minute.” James explained. “ Well…- Oh let him go. Jane said interrupting her husbands thoughts. Daren gave his wife a look. “ I thinks it’s good that James has found some friends at his school who he wants to hang out with. You only live once and it’s not like James is going to start skipping church.” She said.
Daren sighed. “ Alright but be back before dark.” He said. “ Thank you Dad.” James said. He left the table to write a note for July. Once written, he handed it to her.
“ James wont be at church today. He will be with Mel. James will be back by dark.”
July read it over, smiled at her brother, and then phrased “ I understand.” She had met Melexa before and had grown fond of him. Since she didn’t speak allot, keeping this a secret would be simple. That was why she was taught the name Mel instead of Melexa. Mel was common and could be short for a lot of people. So July could say it and it could be mentioned without suspicion.
With everything set, James left. He had told his parents he would be going to a movie with a few of his classmate, but in reality he would meet Melexa in an ally down town. They had already picked the place to meet so James knew were he was going. The walk down was quiet. It was sunny, the wind carried the smell of fall with it, and people were bustling around town. James took a right into the ally they had agreed on.
Melexa was already waiting with a pry bar in hand. He smiled and opened the sewer hatch. “ The sewers?” James asked confused. “ It’s under ground.” Melexa said. James hesitantly climbed down the latter into the dark cavern.
Melexa followed and closed the entrance. Besides the water (which they avoided at all costs) it was cleaner then James had expected although it still smelt horrible. After walking straight for what seemed like twenty minutes they jumped over one of the canals. Melexa walked over to a hole in the brick wall and climbed into it. James followed.
It was about the size of a small hallway but as they continued forward it widened. The two walked until they came to a steal door. Melexa turned the lever three times right and once left, and the shoved the door open. “ Welcome to the Thorns compound.” He said stepping inside. As James entered, the door closed behind him.
The entry way was wide and made of stone, excluding the doors the Melexa lead him to which where mettle. There were four. Melexa lead him through the middle door to the left and then down a series of hallways.
“ This compound has been here since world war two. Our leader discovered this space after a battle against another coven. Our first hideout was destroyed so we’ve been hear ever since.” Melexa explained.
“ Wow… it’s huge.” James said. “ Yep, the entire place is hand built and the other three doors you just saw lead to a labyrinth designed to confuse enemies.” He led James to a large room, which was crowded with vampires and half lings alike; most with pale white skin and red eyes. Most were adult, some were teenagers, and there were even a few children running around and dodging through the stone, round, tables. Most of the adults had red eyes but the few Halfling were pink as far as James could see.
Most of the younger teenagers were half lings while the older teenagers were full blooded. Only one of the children James saw was full blooded. She looked to be at least five years old and she had black hair that was tied back. Her skin was deathly pale and her eyes were a piercing red. She ran by the two as she chased after a younger Halfling.
“ That,” Melexa said. “ Is Flora; the only pure blooded childe of her birth year. She’s the daughter of our leader.” “ Melexa!” someone shrieked out. A young woman with blue hair beckoned them over to the stone table she was sitting at. Next to her was a girl about the same age as James with black hair, pale skin, pink eyes, and a matching shirt.
She looked nervous. “ It’s about time you showed up!” She said. “ That’s Moon shadow,” Melexa explained. “ And I take it you’re James? I’ve heard allot. This is Mena.” Moon shadow said, taking her seat and gesturing to the girl beside her. Mena glanced up. She seemed nervous. “ I’m Leks, the lettuce head next to me is Navy.” A purple haired young man to Moon shadows left said.
Navy and James’s eyes locked. “ He goes to my church!” James said surprised. “Really now. That’s interesting.” Melexa said grinning at his friend as if he had just discovered a secret. Everyone looked at Navy, Leks almost looked shocked.
“ With the type of lifestyle I live I need to be reminded about moral values.” Navy explained.
The others shrugged. Melexa sat next to Navy while James sat next to Mena. Navy glanced up at James. For some reason James thought Navy’s expression said. “ Huh.” Like he had discovered something that he hadn’t expected. Something James probably didn’t know about himself. Then there was a short silence. “ … Sooo…how’s life been?” Melexa asked. “ Yeas” and “ umms” followed by a “ Whatever” were sounded around the table. “ Where are the other three?” He asked.
“ Big mission: Intel’. They refused to bring me.” Moon shadow sighed. “ Odd. Then I guess we should get on with the rest of the explanations.” Melexa said. “You explained to her werewolves right?” “ Crap, I knew I forgot something.” Moon shadow said. Mena looked confused.
Leks rolled his eyes at his friend. “ I’m sure you both know about the blood wars right?” Navy asked. Both halflings nodded. The werewolves had been mentioned but the most James could get was a vague explanation since things had been very busy for the both of them. “ Then both of you know of there existence. The myth you knew growing up is purely that.” Navy said.
With that Navy began his explanation. “ Werewolves come from an ancient Indian tribe. They were mostly a clan that could take the form of large wolves and the bloodline has simply spread. The full moon myth had been a superstition as humans began to notice that they hunted and appeared more on those days. It was easier for then to hunt at night during the full moon because it reflects more light. Different packs would also gather together on those days to transform to either aid each other in battle or to celebrate holidays under the full moon.” Navy explained.
“ And the silver myth?” Mena asked. This was the first time they had heard her speak. “ That’s a lie made so that only the people who could afford to hunt them would dare to. It was a tactic used to narrow their enemies.” Moon shadow said. “Like the way vampire clans lied about crosses and holy water; to make it easier to hunt in the dark ages.” Leks said.
“ What about wooden stakes?” Flora asked. She and her friend had decided to listen. “ Knifes are sharper. They were annoying and harder to break.” Leks explained. “The only thing more annoying then fighting a human trying to hide behind a stupid cross is fighting one who can wield a sword.” Leks said. Moon shadow sighed and shook her head. “ Flora, Why don’t you show these two around the compound?” Melexa said.
Before he knew it James was being dragged out of the room by a five year old.


* * *
The leader of the pack sighed. This was not good news; the Thorn had captured a wolf of another pack. This wolf was from an enemies pack, but despite that a group of the pack had the nerve to ask them for help. The entire pack had been summoned into the leaders cabin. It was a big cabin on the very edge of town, partially in the forest.
“ This isn’t good, they’ve got to be really desperate to ask us.” Rent said, breaking the silence. “ That is what I fear.” The leader replied. “ If they are desperate enough to stoop to this level then this member must be important to them. The mountains have never come down hear without purpose before, which must mean that the Thorn must have been on some sort of reconnaissance or that this is a clever ruse meant to thin our forces.” The old man explained. “ The question is; what could the Thorn want with the mountains and if this is a trick what are they planning?” One of the adults wandered aloud.
“ I do not know but if they are telling the truth they must be hiding something the Thorn want. Keep your scenes sharp, for we must help them, if we do not the mountains will have farther cause to cause danger hear.” The old Indian said. With that he sent a message to the mountain group that had asked for their help.

* * *
Steven ran at full sprint in wolf form. His coat was thick and a nice shade of brown like his hair. He and his cousins had been put on patrol simply because they were the youngest, yet they could still be useful. “This sucks. They always leave us out whenever it’s important.” Rent echoed in their minds. This was a common form of telepathy amongst the wolves.
“ Yeah but think about it. A 12 year old were wolf, his younger sister and his older cousin up against an entire compound of vampires. What do you think the odds would be? Even with the packs help we’d be in over our heads. I don’t like it either but we’re just a bunch of kids. We’d only get in the way.” Steven replied. He hated admitting it but he knew; if they had gone with the others there was a strong chance that one of them would be killed.


* * *
Flora however was busy dragging James and Mena all over the compound. “ This is the kitchen.” She said stopping suddenly and running again. James caught the scent of blood from a vampire who was drinking blood from a wine glass. “ And this is the calming room.” She said stopping outside of a closed door that smelled strongly of bleach. “ And down the hallway on the left are the dorms.” She took off again. Both Mena and James were panting by the time Flora stopped next.
She was a bundle of energy. “ And this floor leads two the Rose sevens sector. It’s small but they prefer their own space. With a group like that it’s no wonder. I’m going to show you something special now, but don’t tell anyone.” She said. Flora took off again, dragging the two half lings with her. They went down three different hallways (only one that was familiar) and stopper after passing a few doors, going down a set of stairs, and passing three more doors.
These doors looked much more secure then the others. They were made with a heavy looking mettle and each on had a specific lock. “ This is the prison hall. That hall over there leads to the main room were I met you guys. It’s easier to transport prisoners that way. Since they got the locks, no ones escaped.” Flora said. “ Behind each door is either empty space or a prisoner. The one behind this door” She said walking to the third door and knocking on it with her knuckles. “ Is a werewolf.” She continued.
James peaked inside the little rectangular window on the door. In the left hand corner of the room was a nude man with scratches and dark hair. His eyes were yellow. “ I thought you should know what they look like. His pack captured one of our vampires, so we’re holding him for ransom.” Flora explained. Mena move beside James to peak inside.
The mans eyes snapped up from the floor and before they could react they were face to face with a huge, snarling, growling, angry, yellow eyed, black wolf. Mena and James jumped and then backed up to the wall. “ don’t worry. He cant get out.” Flora said as the door rattled and shook. After ten full minutes of this an ear shattering, agonized, howl echoed down the hallway. James had never heard so much pain in a single sound before.
Other prisoners started yelling, one started to cry. “ Let’s go back upstairs.” Flora said, unfazed by the noise. James couldn’t believe it. Upon getting back to the main room James and Mena spent their time meeting other halflings and vampires around their age group, although Mena was still white. James couldn’t get his mind off of the prisoner, he almost felt sorry for him.
Just as it was time to leav there was a loud banging just outside of the doorway of the main room. The sound of footsteps echoed in the room as a group of scantily clad men and women entered the room; they all had yellow eyes. Some were ragged and gaunt looking, others seemed strong and fit. Most were tan and many had Native American features, save a few. However what surprised James the most was that among the crowd he saw Rock and Stevens father.
The main room immediately echoed with grows and an occasional hiss. “ We have come to take back what’s ours! Were is he?” Said a skinny black haired man said stepping forward. James stepped behind Mena; he didn’t know why Stevens father was here but he could easily imagine the disappointment and anger on his face if he thought that James had joined a vampire clan. The crowd suddenly broke in two, crating a straight path. A long silver haired vampire calmly walked forward. He looked to be in his forties or fifties.
“ And what would make you possibly think that we would yield to a pack of dogs.” He said with an air of seriousness. He stopped face to face with the other man. “Especially when you have done much worse to one of our own.” “ Your man is worthless.” “ So is yours.”
The two stared angrily into each other’s eyes. “ I propose a trade. Thursday at eleven pm.” The skinny man said. “ That wont be necessary.” A female voice said. A red haired, tan, vampireress pushed through the crowed blocking the door; followed by two identical looking men, one with black hair, and one with white. He stepped into his masters’ view and he was holding something.
Gasps, hisses, and shrieks of horror rang out in the crowd. In the white hairds arms was an extremely gaunt white haired vampire curled up into a ball. Hit face was twisted in agony; his fangs had been ripped out. He only wore a small cloth around hit wais and he was so pale and skinny that James could see the complete outline of his skeleton and all of his organs and. He could also make out the vampires purple veins.
Tears stung at the corners of his eyes. He no longer felt sorry for the wolf that had been locked up. He had seen starvation in picture at school but never anything close this. If the figure shallow breathing weren’t so loud he would have looked as if he were dead. James could see Leks shaking with an intense rage out of the corner of his eye.
He heard the silver haired vampire drop to his knees. “ Do to the lack of security we were able to brake him out on our reconnaissance.” The red hade said. “ The mountain pack has been starving and torturing him this entire time.” The white haired man holding the figure said. Some of the group blocking the door gasped and backed away from the leader, including Rock and his supposed brother. “You failed to mention this!” One of them said, voice dripping in hatred.
They automatically separated them selves from the group. Angry faces surrounded the supposed leader of the mountain pack. “ Release the prisoner.” The silver haired vampire said. Only a moment later the man being held prisoner was being dragged into the room. He was thrown at his leaders feet.
Before said leader could react though, the silver haired vampire spoke. “ Let this be a warning.” He said. “ If any of your pack causes harm to one of our own with out proper cause, we will slaughter you and leave nothing behind to bury.” With that he jerked his head towards Leks. Leks let out a roar that sent chills down James’s spine. He sprang and were Leks should have landed was an enormous bat-like monster with purple hair and pale skin.
He attacked the pack” Suddenly large wolves appeared; black, brown, orange, black, and any other natural hair color. James grabbed Mena and ducked under one of the stone tables. There were roars and screams and growl as the wolves were chased out of the hideout. James covered his throbbing ears. Once silence filled the room again he and Mena got out from underneath the table.
Were the gaunt vampire had lain in the other white hairs arms was a bright light, the smell of rotting flesh and steam. The rest of the room (still crowded with vampires) was trashed. Melexa climbed out from under a crushed table completely unharmed. “ I should get you two home. You’ve seen enough for today.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment