Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

I don't really have a good synopsis for this story, but it's going to be kind of short.

Be prepared to cry a little when you read this. I don't really know how to describe it, you'll just have to read it I guess.

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2
The alarm buzzed with all its might, easily waking Jeanne from her fitful sleep. As she’d expected, it had been haunted by nightmares.
Breakfast was nothing special. Just plain old cold cereal. She took her time eating. It was Saturday. No need to struggle through school today. After all, her mind would not be on her work.
It’s time to walk and think.

Hours later, while walking through the park, Jeanne felt something that sent a shiver down her spine. She didn’t know what it was, but she felt something.
It was a relief to see a familiar face walking toward her. She could always count on her good friend, Ryumaru, when she needed cheering up. The two girls had been friends since either could remember, and had helped each other through rough times, but none quite like this.
“Hey Jeanne.” Ryumaru said as they came closer. “Hi Ryu.” Jeanne replied halfheartedly. “C’mon, let’s sit down.”

“Oh Ryu, I don’t know what to do! Nightmares, chills, help! My life is upside down, I don’t know what to do!” Jeanne gushed. “I miss him so much, I…” She broke down in tears. “It’s going to be okay, let it out.” Ryu said soothingly, putting an arm around her friend’s shoulder.
“I should have been more -sniff- aware. I could have stopped him, could have kept him near me, could have…” Thinking about this made her cry even harder. “Jeanne, that’s the survivor’s guilt talking. There was nothing anyone, not even you, could do. No one could have anticipated it, no one could have-“ “NO! I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!” Jeanne yelled, cutting off Ryu. “I COULD HAVE SAVED HIM! I COULD HAVE… I could have…” She drifted off. “No, you know you couldn’t have-“ “YOU JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND!”
Jeanne jumped up and stormed off, leaving Ryu to sigh and hope her friend would be okay.

“No one understands, no one gets it, no one can… Sigh.” Jeanne mumbled. “I know I could have done something, I know that could have, should have turned out differently.” She sighed again and walked quickly, to keep warm in the chill wind.
“If anything, I wish I could at least find the class ring he lost a few days before…” She visualized it in her mind. The slightly tarnished silver, the blue stone that matched his eyes, the engraving… She opened her eyes and continued on a few steps, until her foot hit something small and hard.
Looking down, she saw his class ring, laying there on the ground, just as she had pictured it. Plain as day, she had found it.
“I don’t believe it. I do not believe it one bit! This is really his ring.” Her eyes welled up with tears as she slipped it in her pocket. Jeanne was about to continue walking on when a sudden gust of wind blew a sheet of lined paper into her face. She reached up and pulled it off, ready to crumple it up and toss it away when the writing on it caught her eye. It couldn’t be, but it was. It was his handwriting. The message was simple:

The sadness will slip away if you let it.
Follow me in your dreams.
I’ll be waiting.
- Derek

Her breath caught in her chest. It was his handwriting, and that sounded like something he’d say, but there was no way. It couldn’t be from him.
“Follow me in your dreams”, yeah right. How could she when her dreams always ended the same way.
Still, it was from him, so she tucked it in her pocket next to the ring.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment