Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Lineart tutorial

All the little stories that are too short to make a new story for, or little things I have made that I don't want to put in my blog, or stuff like that.

Chapter 4 - Lineart tutorial

Chapter 4 - Lineart tutorial
People have been wondering how I do my lineart so smoothly with a shaky tablet hand and an outdated version of Photoshop. I actually don't use Photoshop for the smooth lineart. Well, I use it later on, but the actual lineart isn't done in photoshop. It's a bit of a process, so prepare to read a lot. ^^

I start with a sketch, it doesn't matter whether it's on the tablet or scanned in. I take it to Photoshop and make it big, maybe 300-400% of what you want it to be when it's finished. There's a reason for this. Save it as a .bmp file, then take it over to Paint. Do your lineart with the curve tool. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it makes nice smooth lines. Make sure to do it in a color that's nowhere else in your picture.

Save it, and take it back to Photoshop. Use the Magic Wand tool to select all of your nice smooth, pixely lineart (bit of an oxymoron, isn't it), right click, choose "select inverse", and then press "delete", then deselect. If you did it right, you should be left with just your lineart. Use the bucket fill tool to make your lineart black (or whatever color ya want). Now, here's where the settings can go a few ways.

If you want smooth, sharp lineart, like in this picture, http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-628333.html, use the bucket fill tool to color it in, then use the magic wand to shade. Then, resize the image to whatever size you want it to be (a trick I use is to get out the magnifying glass and choose "fit on screen", then look at the zoom percentage and use tha number in the resizer). Save your image as you normaly would, and put it up!

If you want slightly fizzy lineart, like in this pic, http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-638655.html, there's an extra step you need to do before you do the coloring. Use the magic wand tool before you color and select all of the lineart. right click, and select "layer via copy". Now, take the new lineart layer and use the gaussian blur filter at a 1.0 pixel radius, ONLY on the duplicate layer! Then, duplicate the duplicate layer a few times until the lineart is nice and dark. You should have kept the original pixely layer beneath it, just do the coloring on that one like I said before.

That's how I do my lineart! It may take a few tries to perfect the technique, but the result is worth it! I also made two tutorials for this process. I will put the link to them as soon as they get through the submission proccess.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Tala777 on November 22, 2007, 8:39:41 AM

Tala777 on
Comment Deleted

kittyshootingstar on November 22, 2007, 9:46:24 AM

kittyshootingstar on
kittyshootingstarYou could probably find a trial version at your library, or download a trial from the Adobe website. You'd probably have to buy it from them or something if you wanted the full version. Mine came with my tablet, but it's kind of an outdated version.

Or, there's a freeware program called GIMP. I've never used it, but I've heard it's as good as photoshop.