Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Mary Anne III

Do you like Musicals? Is Annie your favorite? Then enjoy this all new fanfiction story!

Chapter 8 - Mary Anne III

Chapter 8 - Mary Anne III
I didn't say one word to Dawn since I got home from Claudia's. I was in my room putting my nightgown on.

"You are so rude to walk by me without saying hi to me," said Dawn.

Ha. Look who's talking. I ignored her for the whole time while reading Gone With the Wind. I went to bed at ten thirty-thirty minutes past my bedtime-I forgot it was a school night. I didn't sleep well later that night. In fact, I didn't fall asleep until around three.

The next day, I was so tired that I took a shower before I went to school. At school, the girls were shocked what Claudia and I told them.

"Honestly, Dawn's behavior has gotten way too far," said Kayla.

"She needs to drop it," addedd Kaylee.

After school, I went home on the way to Jenny's first since it wasn't until three-thirty. I went there at three-fifteen and rang the doorbell. Mrs. Prezzioso opened the door.

"Hi, Mary Anne, come on in," said Mrs. Prezzioso as I came inside. "Let's see, Jenny's in the den watching a movie. She wants to have a picnic tonight and Thursday."

"Sounds good to me," I agreed to the idea.

"Mr. Prezzioso has to work late all week, which is why I needed a sitter tonight and Thursday. He'll be home after me. I have a meeting until ten on those two nights, so I'll be back at ten-thirty," continued Mrs. Prezzioso. "In case of an emergency, my cell phone is on the fridge."

"No problem," I said.

When she left, I went to the den to join Jenny.

"Hi, Jenny," I greeted her.

"Hi, Mary Anne," she greeted me back.

"I see you're watching Snow White," I said.

"Yes," said Jenny.

"Mind if I watch it with you?" I asked.

"Okay," replied Jenny as I sat with her.

Jenny trusts me. If she wants to do something else, I'd let her unlike most other girls. She'd have a fit to get them to change their minds. We had a picnic at between six and six-fifteen. We had ham and cheese sandwiches. Jenny helped me clean up. At seven, Jenny found Annie.

"Isn't this the old version with Aileen Quinn?" I asked noticing it was made in 1982.

"Yes. Mommy got that for me two months ago," answered Jenny.

"That's cool. An old friend of mine sent me one of the play versions she was in. She played Annie when in sixth grade," I told her.

"Really?" asked Jenny.

I nodded and added, "Stoneybrook Middle School's doing Annie this year. The other girls and I are in it."

"Cool," said Jenny.

"Kristy, Jessi, Mallory, and Claudia are the older orphans, Stacey's the Star-To-Be, and do you want to know who'll be playing Annie?" I asked as Jenny nodded. "Me."

"You're playing Annie?" asked Jenny.

"Yes," I replied.

"Wow, you must be excited," said Jenny.

"I sure was," I smiled.

"Who are names of the orphans the girls are playing?" asked Jenny.

"Kristy is Kate, Claudia is July, Mallory is Molly, and Jessi is Tessie," I replied. "Dawn is the understudy of an older orphan."

"That's awesome," said Jenny.

"My other best friends, Kayla and Kaylee, have choir parts like the maids," I said.

"Cool," said Jenny.

"I know, when we practiced the songs yesterday, I did most of the songs without looking at the script," I said.

"You did?" asked Jenny in a shocked tone.

"Yes, everyone was shocked about that and told me I did excellent," I replied.

"Wow," said Jenny.

At nine-thirty, I put her to bed and read her a story until she fell asleep. An hour later, Mrs. Prezzioso came home. She paid me and offered to bring me home. I thanked her and went inside.

"Hi, honey, how did it go tonight?" asked Dad.

"Good. Mrs. Prezzioso offered to give me a ride home," I replied.

"That's good," said Dad.

After we talked for a bit, I went to get comfy. I went to bed at ten-fifty. At midnight, I was wide awake as I got up and came downstairs. Dad, who was in the kitchen, noticed I was up.

"Are you alright, sweetie? It's late, you should be in bed," said Dad.

"I couldn't sleep. I still can't stop thinking about Dawn's hurtful words," I said in a lowered voice.

"It'll be alright," said Dad.

"I'm just trying to forget about it," I said. "But it's very hard to do so."

"At least the rehearsal helps you focus on your lines instead," said Dad.

"That's true," I agreed. "I just hope it'll stay that way."

The next day, at school, I was taking a math test and I was done by the time Cokie tried to peek over, but I got up-in time-to pass it in. Later, I was doing science test and was the third one done. It was only science vocabulary and multiple choices. It's not really that hard at all. I figured I'd start my English homework to keep myself busy. I was almost done when the bell rang to let school out for the day.

After I visited my locker, I went to the auditorium for the rehearsal. I got on the stage to get ready. We're just singing this week. Then we'll do act one scenes one through four on Monday. Rocky came to me and sat down. At three, Mr. Jackson and Mrs. Johnson came in.

"Hello, everyone," said Mr. Jackson. "Let's start warming up before we start singing."

We did that for a few times. I knew I was up first as I sat down while the song started.

"Maybe far away or maybe real nearby. He may be pouring her coffee. She may be straightening his tie. Maybe in a house, all hidden by a hill. She's sitting playing piano. He's sitting paying a bill. Betcha they're young, betcha they're smart. Bet they collect things like ashtrays and art. Betcha they're good. Why shouldn't they be? Their one mistake was giving up me. So, maybe now it's time and maybe when I wake. They'll be calling me baby. Maybe," I sang as the song continued. "Betcha he reads, betcha she sews. Maybe she's made me a closet of clothes. Maybe they're strict as straight as a line. Don't really care as long as they're mine. So, maybe now this prayer's the last one of its kind. Won't you please come get your baby? Maybe."

The song ended. The rest joined for the song for It's the Hard-Knock Life. Then I was with Rocky as the song began.

"The sun'll come out tomorrow bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun. Just thinking about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow til there's none. When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh. The sun'll come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on til tomorrow. Come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day away," I sang as the song paused while Mr. Lins enters.

"Hey, you! Little girl. Come here," said Mr. Lins the officer.

I went to him and said, "Yes, officer?"

"That dog there. Haven't I seen him around here before? Isn't he a stray?" asked Mr. Lins.

"A stray? Oh, no, officer, he's my dog," I replied.

"Your dog, huh? So, what's his name?" asked Mr. Lins.

"His name? Oh, his name is, um, Sandy. Yes, that's right, Sandy. I call him Sandy because see, his fur is a nice, sandy color," I said.

"Sandy color, alright. Let's see if Sandy answers to his name," said Mr. Lins.

"Answer? You mean when I call him?" I asked.

"Right. When you call him by his name, Sandy," said Mr. Lins.

"Well, you see, officer, I just got him," I said.

"Call him," said Mr. Lins.

"Okay," I said as I walked away to the center stage and kneeled down. "Sandy. Here, Sandy. Here, boy."

Rocky came to me.

"Good, Sandy. Good old Sandy," I said.

"Maybe he is your dog. But the next time you take him out, I want to see him with the leash and the license otherwise he goes to the pound and they'll put him to sleep. Do you understand?" asked Mr. Lins.

"Yes, sir, I understand with the leash and license," I said.

"Now get on before you catch a cold in this weather," said Mr. Lins.

"Oh, I don't mind the weather," I said as the song started up. "When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say...oh! The sun'll come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on til tomorrow. Come what may! Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day...away!"

The song ended. After the rehearsal ended, we walked to Claudia's for the meeting. At the meeting, the phone ran nonstop. Kristy answered the fourth call.

"Baby-Sitters Club. Hi, Mom. Oh, I see, you need a sitter for Karen and Andrew on Saturday from three to five? I wish I could, but I can't, Mom, I got a book report due Monday. Okay. I'll let you know tonight at home. Bye," said Kristy as she hung up.

Almost no one was available until I had an idea.

"I know April is coming Friday, but maybe I'll take over and she can come with me," I said.

"Good idea. Thanks, Mary Anne," said Kristy.









Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment