Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 22 - Mary Anne VIII

Do you like Musicals? Is Annie your favorite? Then enjoy this all new fanfiction story!

Chapter 22 - Mary Anne VIII

Chapter 22 - Mary Anne VIII
The next day, it was the big day to make that movie of Annie and I'm still very excited. I'm not even nervous since I know I'd do great like I always have been during all of the rehearsals and the first performance the other day. We're due to start doing it later this afternoon. They're going to make it dark when the movie starts using the camera. They're also using machines to make it snow. After lunch, we get to have our hair ready in the barbershop for free! Then we get to have our make-up done and change into our costumes. I know we're going to have a fun time making it. Then we were all ready to get the movie started. We were told we can either use the same lines or use it differently for the movie only.

We were at the orphanage on the set. We were all in there.

"Get ready on the set. Lights! Camera! Action!" announced Mr. Jackson.

The movie started when I sat at the window and it was snowing at three am. I was looking out of it.

"Mama! Mama! Mommy!" called Mallory out.

"Shut up," said Marci.

"Can't anyone get any sleep around here?" asked Cokie.

"Mama! Mommy!" continued Mallory.

"I said shut your trap, Molly," said Marci as she pushed Mal off the bed.

"Don't push that poor kid. She did nothing to you," said Claudia.

"She's keeping me awake, ain't she?" asked Marci.

"No, you're keeping us awake," said Claudia.

"Wanna make something out of it?" asked Marci.

They started fighting as I noticed and walked away from the window.

"Oh, my goodness. They're fighting," said Jessi.

I got on the bed.

"Pipe down! All of you! Go back to sleep!" I said with my hands on my hips as I got off the bed to Mallory. "It's okay, Molly, Annie's here."

"It was my mama, Annie. We were riding on the ferry boat. She was holding me up to see all the big ships. And then, she just walked away and I couldn't find her no more. Anyhere," said Mallory.

"It was only a dream, honey. You have to get back to sleep now. It's after three o'clock in the morning," I said.

"Annie, read me your note," said Mallory.

"My note? Again?" I asked.

"Please?" asked Mallory.

"Sure, Molly," I replied as I took it out.

"Uh-oh. Here it comes again," said Marci.

Mallory and I got on the bed.

"Please take good care of our little darling. Her name is Annie. She was born on...," I started.

"She was born on October 28. We'll be back to get her soon," interrupted Cokie.

"We have left a half-sliver locket around her neck and kept the other half," Marci joined in.

"So, that when we come back for her, you will know she's our baby," said the rest except Mallory, Claud, and Jessi.

They were laughing.

"And now they're laughing," said Jessi.

I folded my fold and turned to Marci.

"Alright. Do you want to sleep with your teeth inside your mouth or out?" I asked angrily as I sat down with Mallory to cover her.

"You're very lucky, Annie. I wish my parents are alive, but you really have them," said Mallory.

"I know. Somewhere," I said as the song began. "Maybe far away or maybe real nearby. He may be pouring her coffee. She may be straightening his tie. Maybe in a house, all hidden by a hill. She's sitting playing piano. He's sitting paying a bill. Betcha they're young, betcha they're smart. Bet they collect things like ashtrays and art. Betcha they're good. Why shouldn't they be? Their one mistake was giving up me. So, maybe now it's time and maybe when I wake. They'll be calling me baby. Maybe."

The song continued as I looked down noticing Mal was asleep while I got off the bed and lied her down as I covered her some more while I took off to the window.

"Betcha he reads, betcha she sews. Maybe she's made me a closet of clothes. Maybe they're strict as straight as they're mine. So, maybe now this prayer's the last one of its kind. Won't you please come get your baby? Maybe," I sang as it ended while I sat on the window.

The clock chimed to four and took off to the bed as I packed some stuff in the bag.

Marci woke up and said, "Now what?"

"Since my parents never came for me, so I'm going to find them," I replied.

"Again?" asked Marci.

I got up and said, "Pepper, watch out for Molly."

"But Miss Hannigan is going to catch you and hit you with the paddle again," warned Jessi.

"I don't care. I'm getting out of it," I said as I took off.

Out there, I sneaked down the stairs and then, walked to the door. When I unlocked it and opened it, a hand shut the door noticing it was Mrs. Boyd.

"I caught you. I always seem to hear you. Turn around," said Mrs. Boyd as I stood still. "I said turn around."

I turned as she hits me with the paddle and took me by the shoulder.

"Now what do you say?" asked Mrs. Boyd as I remained silent. "What...do...you...say?"

"I love you, Miss Hannigan," I replied.

"Rotten orphan," said Mrs. Boyd as she pushed me while we headed up the stairs.

"I'm not an orphan. My folks left me with a note saying they love me and they'd come back for me," I said.

Mrs. Boyd laughed and said, "That was 1922. This is 1933. You are an orphan."

In the room, she whistled and turned on the light.

"Everyone, get up!" said Mrs. Boyd.

They did while she went to me.

"Annie was trying to escape again. So, you're all going to scrub the floor and strip the beds for the laundry man," said Mrs. Boyd.

"But it's four o'clock in the morning," complained Jessi.

"I know. Then you get down on your knees and clean this dump until it shines like the top of Chrysler Building," said Mrs. Boyd. "Now get to work."

"Yes, Miss Hannigan," we said.

"Now," said Mrs. Boyd.

She leaves while the song started and started cleaning.

"It's the hard-knock life for us, it's the hard-knock life for us," we sang.

"Instead of treated," I sang.

"We get tricked," we sang.

"Instead of kisses," I sang.

"We get kicked. It's the hard-knock life," we sang. "We got no folks to speak of, so it's the hard-knock role we hoe."

"Cotton blankets," I sang.

"Instead of wool," we sang.

"Empty bellies," I sang.

"Instead of full, it's the hard-knock life," we sang.

"Don't it feel like the wind is always howling?" I sang.

"Don't it seem there's never any light?" sang Claudia and Kristy.

"Once a day, don't you wanna throw the towel in?" sang Mallory and Jessi.

"It's easier than putting up a fight," sang Marci and Cokie.

"No one's there when your dreams at night get creepy, no one cares if you grow or if you shrink, no one dries your eyes when they get weepy," I sang.

"From the crying you think this place's sink. Oh!" we sang. "Empty-bellies life, rotten-smelly life, full-of-sorrow life, no-tomorrow life."

"Santa Claus we never see," sang Mallory.

"Santa Claus, what's that? Who's he?" I sang.

"No one cares for you a smidge when you're in the orphanage," we sang.

"You'll stay up till this dump shines like the top of the Chrysler Building," said Mallory pretending to be Miss Hannigan.

"Yank the whiskers from her chin. Jab her with a safety pin. Make her drink a mickey finn," we sang. "I love you, Miss Hannigan."

"Get to work now! Strip the beds! I said get to work!" said Mallory.

"It's the hard-knock life for us, it's the hard-knock life for us. No one cares for you a smidge when you're in an orphanage. It's the hard-knock life, it's the hard-knock life, it's...the...hard-knock...life!" we sang as the song ended.

Later, I was outside after I escaped by getting into the laundry basket. It was snowing again.

"Excuse me, I'm searching for my folks. Pardon me, have you seen anyone who's just like me? Sir," I said.

"Apples for sell, apples for sell," said Mrs. Young as I ran over.

"Yum. I love apples," I said.

"Care to have one? It's free," said Mrs. Young.

"Thank you, ma'am," I said getting one as I continued on.

"Have you seen any stray dogs around?" asked Mr. Gomes.

"No, sir, I haven't," I replied as I went to sit near the boxes.

Then I spotted a dog.

"Here's one they didn't catch. Come here," I said as he came to lay with me. "What's the matter? Are they after you? They're after me, too. But don't you worry. I won't let them get me or you. Everything will be fine for the both of us. They just got to."

The song started.

"The sun'll come out tomorrow bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun. Just thinkin' about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till there's none. When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say...oh. The sun'll come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on till tomorrow. Come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day away," I sang as the song paused while Mr. Lins came by.

"Excuse me, young lady," said Mr. Lins.

"What's the problem, officer?" I asked.

"Isn't he a stray dog that I've seen before?" asked Mr. Lins.

"He's not a stray, he's my dog," I replied.

"Oh, really? What's his name then?" asked the officer.

"His name? Oh, right. His name is...," I said looking at him. "Sandy. Yes, that's it, Sandy. I call him Sandy because you see, his fur is a nice, sandy color."

"Okay. Let's see if he answers when you call him," said Mr. Lins.

"Call him?" I asked.

"Yes, by his name, Sandy," said Mr. Lins.

"Well, you see, officer, I just got him and...," I started.

"Just call him," said the officer.

I walked by an inch as I kneeled down.

"Sandy. Here, Sandy. Come on, boy," I called to him as he did answered his name by going to me. "Good job, Sandy. Good old Sandy."

"Maybe he does belong to you, but you better have him on the leash and license or he will go to the dog pound so they can put him to sleep," said Mr. Lins.

"Yes, sir. I understand," I said.

"Now, get home before you could catch a cold," said Mr. Lins.

"The weather doesn't bother me," I said as Rocky and I started walking while the song went for another tone. "When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say...oh! The sun'll come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on till tomorrow. Come what may! Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day...away!"

The song ended. Later, it was the adoption party.

Judge Brandeis was about to start to sign adoption papers when Mr. Linders came to Mr. Lins.

"Excuse me, sir, before you start. May I present the Mudges," said Mr. Linders.

Ms. Rosenburg and Mr. Lee came in as the Mudges.

"There is our Annie," said Mr. Lee.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Honey, we're your parents," replied Ms. Rosenburg.

"We're Ralph and Shirley Mudge," said Mr. Lee.

"Annie Mudge?" asked Mr. Lins. "Let's do this in private."

In the room, I was sitting in a chair in front of the desk while Ms. Rosenburg was sitting in the other chair.

"We loved you very much, but we had to leave you behind. We were offered a job on a farm in Canada," explained Ms. Rosenburg.

"We interview about 800 couples and...," Mrs. Bleechers started.

"I'm assuming you want to see our IDs. Here's our driver's licenses and uh, Annie's birth certificate," said Mr. Lee as he gives them to Mrs. Bleechers going to Mr. Lins.

"Ann Elizabeth Mudge born in New York City on October 28, 1922," read Mr. Lins.

"Hey, that's my birthday," I said.

"And there is one more thing," said Mrs. Bleechers.

"Look, Ralph, she's wearing the locket!" exclaimed Ms. Rosenburg.

"See, when we left Annie at the orphanage, we left her with the half-sliver locket and kept the other half. When we went to the orphanage, a kind lady told us Annie was here," said Mr. Lee as he took out a piece of a locket and it fits just right. "See? Perfect fit."

"I'm glad we found our little girl," said Ms. Rosenburg.

"Mr. Mudge, what about the money?" asked Mr. Lins.

"What money?" asked Mr. Lee.

"Mr. Warbucks was offering $50,000 to the couples who can prove that they're Annie's folks," said Mrs. Bleechers.

"I didn't hear that. Plus, we don't need money," said Mr. Lee.

"On the other hand, we can afford to bring Annie up right with the reward money," said Ms. Rosenburg.

"Mind if Annie stays here until tomorrow so she can spend Christmas with us? So, you can pick her up along with the check," said Mr. Lins.

"Well, alright, it's fine by us, sir," said Mr. Lee.

"Bye, Annie, dear," said Ms. Rosenburg.

"Until tomorrow morning, and then you would be living with us for good," said Mr. Lee as they left when he bumped into Mrs. Bleechers. "Sorry, ma'am."

I looked up at Mr. Lins and said, "This is wonderful news. Let's go share with it with the guests."

We went out while I had my head down. Out there, I got on the steps as I looked pale while looking up.

"Drake, champagne," said Mr. Lins.

"Of course, sir," said Mr. Linders.

"We should celebrate. We just got good news tonight. Annie has found her parents. I propose a toast," said Mr. Lins raising I looked up. "Here's to Annie Mudge."

"To Annie Mudge," said the rest.

I looked again and ran upstairs while Mrs. Bleechers followed me up there. In the room, she entered when she saw me on the windowseat facing the window as the song started.

"Silly to cry. Nothing to fear. Betcha where they lived is nice as right here. Betcha my life is gonna be swell. Just looking at them, it's easy to tell," sang Mrs. Bleechers sitting next to me while I was sobbing and the song continued. "The sun'll come out tomorrow bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun. Just thinking about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till there's none."

I had looked at her and then, I turned back to the window and cried while she was stroking my curls.

"When you're stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, you just stick out your chin and grin and say," sang Mrs. Bleechers as I sat up on my knees breathing heavily and I looked down as she held my chin. "The sun'll come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on till tomorrow. Come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow I love ya tomorrow you're always a day...away."

The song ended while she had my head near her shoulder as I had my arms around her while I continued crying. The scene changed to the following day while Ms. Rosenburg and Mr. Lee were coming out to get me. At the mansion, I came down with my coat and suitcase and sat down along with Rocky while Mr. Lins and Mrs. Bleechers came out from the den.

"Merry Christmas, Annie," said Mr. Lins.

"Merry Christmas, Annie," said Mrs. Bleechers.

"Merry Christmas," I said.

"Did you see if Santa had left you anything under the Christmas tree?" asked Mr. Lins.

"No. My parents are my gifts, that's plenty. Do you think I still could keep Sandy and come back to visit you and Grace?" I asked.

"I'm sure," said Mr. Lins as he and Mrs. Bleechers joined me.

"You look tired this morning," I said.

"We've been up all night with the president," said Mr. Lins.

"You mean he's here?" I asked.

"Yes," said Mr. Lins.

Then Mr. Lee and Ms. Rosenburg came.

"Hello, Annie, Merry Christmas," said Mr. Lee.

"Here's for the check of $50,000," said Mrs. Bleechers.

When they got that, it read, "The jig is up."

I got puzzled. Then Mr. Gomes came out.

"Well, it's the Mudges. We learned that those were the pen names of Daniel Hannigan known as Rooster & Danny the Dip and Lily St. Regis," said Mr. Gomes.

That was when Mrs. Boyd came with the other girls.

"Merry Christmas," said Mrs. Boyd.

"Merry Christmas," I said going to them.

"Well, it's Agatha Hannigan known as Aggie," said Mr. Gomes.

"She helped us out," said Mr. Lee.

"What?" I asked.

"So, you're just pretending to be Annie's parents for the reward money?" asked Mrs. Bleechers.

"Uh, Annie, save me," said Mrs. Boyd going to me. "Tell these people I've been good to you."

"Sorry, Miss Hannigan, I wish I could say that, but except for one thing, you always taught me never tell a lie," I said.

"Your days are numbered," Mallory mocking Mrs. Boyd.

The FBI took Mr. Lee, Mrs. Boyd, and Ms. Rosenburg away. I went to the girls.

"Miss Hannigan is gone for good," I said.

"And Annie, I have some news for you. The FBI was able to trace the handwriting from your note," said Mr. Gomes as I turned to him. "And your parents are David and Maragret Bennett."

"The Bennetts are my real mom and dad?" I asked as he nodded. "Where are they?"

"Annie," said Mr. Lins as I turned to him. "They passed away a long time ago."

"You mean they're in heaven?" I asked.

"Yes, dear, I'm afraid so," replied Mr. Gomes.

"So, I'm an orphan after all," I said as I had my head down walking towards to the stairs.

"Annie, are you alright?" asked Mrs. Bleechers walking up to me while I stopped.

"Yeah. I think so," I said as I turned slowly. "See, I always knew my folks loved me and they'd come back for me if they were alive."

"Would you still like to be Annie Bennett Warbucks?" asked Mr. Lins.

"I still like that very much," I smiled.

"I love you," said Mr. Lins.

"And I love you more, Daddy Warbucks," I said we hugged.

We did a finale of I Don't Need Anything But You while I had a new locket. The song had ended when the director announced, "Cut!"

Mr. Jackson smiled at us and said, "You all did an amazing job. Especially you, Mary Anne."

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Last step is to record the soundtrack in Hollywood," said Mr. Jackson.

Now, that's going to be even more exciting than ever. That's what we did the following day. We were there by one. We just had lunch on the plane. We started at one-thirty and guess what, we were done by three. We were able to take the six pm flight and we were back in New York at eleven, so we ended up staying at the plaza for the night since it was one in New York City time. We get to sleep late the following day and we went home at eleven in the morning and we were back at Stoneybrook an hour later. Yes, we did got excused from school until tomorrow. We had a fun weekend.

"Which weekend you like best?" asked Dad.

"To be honest with you, I liked the whole weekend," I replied as I laughed.

"Just think, you'd be starting the school performances this Thursday starting at Stoneybrook Middle School," said Dad.

"I know. It's hard to believe," I said.

























Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment