Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Brian

Um, just a little something I was working on that isn''t a fanfiction. I''m writing a story about a young teenager who hears a life-changing conversation from his new neighbors'' window. That''s the best I can describe it, but I suck a story descriptions.

Chapter 6 - Brian

Chapter 6 - Brian
Leanne’s POV

I walk slowly into my room after Leo leaves, scared of what I just saw. He was so distant, so…not here, otherworldly, when he played, that it creeped me out. Put that with the fact that he was playing Dad’s funeral dirge, and I am scared out of my wits. I am so having nightmares tonight about him.
All in all, this has been a very weird day, but I think that Leo and I connected more than we have in years. I suppose that’s a plus.
Still feeing freaked, I open my laptop and continue working on my picture of the Leo-person. Time to start shading.
I shade until dinnertime, at which point I save and quit, not intending to work on it again tonight. Leo’s dinner is mediocre, as usual – soup, toast, and carrots. He can’t cook all that well, but at least he’s better than Mom.
Our dinner is quiet and uneventful.
Leo seems lost in thought, and so does Mom, oddly enough. Looking at them, I can see a resemblance in their faces, the way they lose emotion and the way in which the blankness controls their features. They have the same eye shape too – the one that’s slightly different than mine, slightly smaller. The color is different, their hair is nothing alike, and their body shape is opposite, but tonight I can completely tell they’re related.
After dinner I head up to my room again, and open up Photoshop again. I should be surprising myself that I continue to work on this so obsessively, but somehow I expected it.
Before long it’s 11:30 and I climb into bed, exhausted. The picture’s not nearly done; I’ve found so many little flaws that I need to fix. If I weren’t so tired I’d have a hard time falling asleep.
Like I expected, I have nightmares.
I’m walking down a long, white, hallway, trying to get to the end, where there’s music playing, and Brian is waiting for me. About halfway down, a pale white face stares out at me through a window. It looks dead, and I start running, but there are more, looking in from each window. There are so many windows.
Eventually I get there, and I smile as I reach out to Brian, but then he morphs into Dad – a dead Dad, looking like he just rose from the grave. I scream, but Dad just falls down, not a zombie after all. Then I realize that the music has stopped, and behind Dad’s body its Leo, on a golden throne. He’s holding his guitar, and he looks down at me. He smiles, and his skin peels back so his face becomes a skull. Then his hands – now just bones – begin to strum, and Dad rises from the floor, his sightless gaze on my face. He stretches out his hands to grab my head –
- And I wake up screaming at 4:00 in the morning. “It’s just a dream,” I whisper to myself, hugging my knees and rocking back and forth on my bed. “It’s just a dream, it’s just a dream.”
Soon I fall back asleep, and I fall into another nightmare where Leo is sitting on his throne – again – and he plays his guitar while I dance around with no control of my limbs. It’s the music, I want to scream, it’s the music, but I can’t move my mouth. He smiles as he plays, a cruel smile, and I continue to dance. I’m wearing a beautiful, elegant red dress that flares out when I spin. It looks medieval or something, and he wears a black robe that is lined with a heavy red burgundy fabric. His guitar plays, and his hands strum, and I dance.
“Leanne, someone’s at the door!” Mom calls, and I wake up sweating.
“Coming!” I shout, pulling on a bathrobe. Sure, it’s summer, but my pajamas are too ratty. I don’t want anyone to see them – it’s bad enough that Leo dragged me out yesterday!
I tromp down the stairs, my eyes still feeling heavy. I’m so tired after only having seven hours of sleep.
“Hello?” I mutter groggily.
“Oh, did I just wake you up?” says Brian, looking perfectly awake and perfectly sorry. So gorgeous. I smile up at him, my day brightened.
“It’s okay. Did you want to go to the beach?”
“Yeah, if you’re awake,” he says with a grin.
“I’m awake enough, just let me get my clothes,” I say, beckoning him inside with a smile and a wave. He steps in, and I lead him up to my room.
Luckily, the only messy thing is my bed, which is seriously messed up but he doesn’t ask questions. Instead, he says, “Nice room.” I thank him, and blush under his praise. I drag out my swimsuit and a red cover-up, and he steps outside so I can change.
Soon we’re walking down the street together, ready to get to the beach. Of course there will be tourists – why Mom chose to move to Seaside beats me – but we can find our own little area.
Soon we get there, the beach. Hotels line the sidewalk opposite, and tourist shops go down Broadway Street. The roundabout has tourists going all over the place, taking pictures by the sign, crossing to get down the stairs to the beach or to the hotels. We slip right by them, and pitch camp in an area far down the beach, and with few people.
He talks about the swim team, about his weekend, about his family, about his life. He’s so light and carefree, a personality that matches his golden blonde hair that falls down in long casual bangs at the front, and is about the same length in the back, with a rough cut. His brown eyes are friendly and open, and his emotions are on his sleeves constantly.
I talk about my summer, about how crazy Leo is, about my new neighbors, a little bit about Mom, about my friend Tanya, who moved all the way up to Seattle last year. I haven’t heard from her in three days, so she must be busy. I feel lighter with him around – not calmed, like with Rob, but more open and talkative.
He moves closer, and I do too, the conversation becoming more personal.
It randomly occurs to me that I’m head over heels in love with this guy, and if it lasts, I can see us getting married and having kids. Living a happy life, unlike mine.
He holds my hands, his own as gentle as a sheet of silk. We scoot closer, and friendship makes way for romance.
“I really love you, Leanne,” he says softly, and I gaze back at him, a small smile parting my lips slightly.
“I love you too,” I whisper back, and he leans in to kiss me full on the lips for the first time.
I started going out with him this past spring, only about a month ago. We would have kissed earlier, but it always takes me a while to build up trust in people. However, once I do, I never let them go. And now, in this second, I knew that I would never let Brian go.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kaitlin_mckitrick on November 25, 2009, 7:21:15 AM

kaitlin_mckitrick on
kaitlin_mckitrickOooh, romance. :3