Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Only Eight Days

Um, just a little something I was working on that isn''t a fanfiction. I''m writing a story about a young teenager who hears a life-changing conversation from his new neighbors'' window. That''s the best I can describe it, but I suck a story descriptions.

Chapter 8 - Only Eight Days

Chapter 8 - Only Eight Days
Telsa’s POV

FLASHBACK
I dial my cell, calling Alex to see how his day’s going. Ever since he had those twins, he’s been stressed. Him and his wife, Jennie.
He picks up the phone on the first ring, sounding happy. “Hello?”
“Hey Alex, it’s your sister. How are you?”
“Oh hey, Telsa! I’m great, actually. Best day of my life.”
“Really? That’s awesome!”
“Yeah. The kids were great this morning, Jennie’s as lovely as ever, I got to work early then got promoted halfway through my morning, and now during my lunch break you call to check on me.”
“Wow, that is a great day!”
“Yeah, and the lines at Starbucks today were almost nonexistent! It’s like the world has suddenly decided to give me a day off of stress!”
“Wow, I’m really happy for you! Do you want to head over with Jennie and the kids after work? I would love to have you!”
“That would be awesome, thanks Telsa!”
We say our goodbyes, and hang up. I’d better call Rob and Howard next, to invite them too.
“Hello?”
“Rob, it’s Telsa, and you need to head over after work.”
“I do?”
“Yes. It’s Alex’s lucky day, and I’m having a party at my house for him and his family after he’s done with work. You need to come.”
“Why…?”
“Because it would be nice to have all of us together, that’s why. I know we hate each other, but we can work though it for Alex.”
“Fine, I’ll come.”
“Yes!” I say, and hang up.
Call number two now – Howard.
“Hey?”
“Hey, it’s Telsa! Come over after work!
“Um, okay.”
“To my place, Howard. I’m having a party.”
“Is Mom or Dad coming?”
“Parents, shmarents! They’d ruin it all.”
“True. I’ll be there.”
“Okay. Bye!” I say, and hang up again. I then set about getting everything ready, such as snacks for all, juice for the kids and a selection of drinks for the adults.
Just as I’m heading back from the store to get some balloons, my cell phone rings. I pick it up: Jennie? Why is she calling?
“Hellooo?” I answer.
“Telsa, it’s Jennie. Alex’s been in a accident on 4th Street, we can’t come,” she says, her voice thick. She’s been crying.
“What happened?”
“He-he got hit by a bus.”
“In the car or as a pedestrian?”
“In his car. He’s been rushed to the hospital.” I can feel my face drain of color, and I pull over before my concentration fails completely. Alex can’t die. He can’t.
“Are visitors allowed?” I ask quietly, and she says no, not yet.
“…”
“I’ll call you when they are, Telsa.”
“No need, I’ll wait there the whole time,” I say, and hang up, getting back on the road and heading to the hospital. My mind’s blank, seeing nothing but the road in front of me. This can’t be happening.
I walk though the hospital doors, to see Rob and Howard already there, their faces mirroring my blankness.
“Anything?” I mutter, and they both shake their heads. I sit down, putting my head in my hands. What will happen next?
A vision flashes briefly though my mind – Alex, pale and unmoving, being lifted into a coffin.
“No,” I gasp, and flag over the nearest nurse. “We need to see Alex Jacobson now. It’s an emergency.”
“I’m sorry, but he’s still undergoing surgery, you’ll have to wait,” she says, and she’s clearly not going to give up on her position. Hmm. Looks like I picked the wrong nurse.
“He’s going to die, we have to see him before that happens,” I plead, almost in tears. My brothers look over at me, shock freezing their faces. They understand my visions.
“Hopefully that won’t happen. Now, I’ll let you know once it’s okay to go see him,” she says, just not getting it. Then in comes Jennie with Leo and Leanne – thank goodness! She’ll get us in.
She walks confidently up to the nurse, and says, “I just got a call from the doctor saying it was okay to visit Alex Jacobson. I’m his wife, these are his kids, and these are his siblings. Will you please let us in?” The nurse relents, seeing the half-insane, half-miserable expression on Jennie’s face. We all walk to his room together in silence, the kids confused, the adults sad and apprehensive.
Before we can go in, the doctor comes out, and I suddenly know that we were too late.
“I’m sorry to all of you, I truly am.”
“You mean he’s –“
The doctor nods, and they all jump to the conclusion that I reached long before them. All except the kids, who are still adorably – and saddeningly - clueless.
Jennie breaks down, crying into Rob’s shoulder. I hold onto the kids, rocking them back and forth.
One thought zips through my head – the best day of his life was the worst of ours.
END FLASHBACK
“Telsa,” Rob says, tapping me on the shoulder to snap me out of it. He glances once at my face, now back in the real world, and walks away, knowing that he did his job.
“They’ve grown up so much,” I mutter to myself.
“Who?” Rob says absently. He grabs a piece of leftover toast from the counter. I always make way too much for two, so it doesn’t surprise him that there’s still leftover pieces. He doesn’t suspect anything.
“Alex’s kids.”
“Yeah. Leo’s nice.” Ha ha. So you think now. You won’t the next time you meet him. He’s with me.
“I wonder about Leanne, though. How will she take it?”
“She’ll get through the heartbreak. She’s tough.”
“Will she?” I ask, and I look over at Rob, my eyes filling with tears. She may not be on my side, but I’m a compassionate person. I care for her future – she’s still my niece!
He looks back, pondering my words. “Yes. Everything will be all right.”
“That’s what the doctor said Alex’s last words were, and now nothing is all right. His own kids are involved in my prophecy! My prophecies never end up all right!”
“Telsa, calm down, please,” Rob says, looking down on my devastated face. “I’ll call Howard. Maybe he can help.”
“Yes, maybe,” I agree, brushing away my tears. Howard will be able to help. He may not be what Alex was, but he’s still helpful.
We’ll make it through this. Only eight days left.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kaitlin_mckitrick on November 25, 2009, 7:30:04 AM

kaitlin_mckitrick on
kaitlin_mckitricko_o