Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Headache

Um, just a little something I was working on that isn''t a fanfiction. I''m writing a story about a young teenager who hears a life-changing conversation from his new neighbors'' window. That''s the best I can describe it, but I suck a story descriptions.

Chapter 11 - Headache

Chapter 11 - Headache
Rob’s POV
Leanne looks up at me, her emotions easy to read on her face. She’s confused.
“What?” she says, her tone mirroring her voice. I can’t help but smile. If only she knew what Telsa saw her doing in the future…
“You won’t die,” I repeat.
“Yes I will.”
“Evenually, yes. But not this month.”
She looks down, then back up. She’s still confused, but she’s calm and collected as well.
“Why?”
Was she planning suicide? “Because that’s how Telsa saw it.”
“What does she have to do with anything?”
“Unfortunately, she has everything to do with everything.”
“What do you mean?” Curious, and unafraid to speak her mind. I like Leanne.
“I’d tell you if I was allowed to.” Which I’m not.
“I see,” she says lightly, and smiles. I smile back at her. A curious one, she is.
I decide to change the subject off of the near future. “Did you come here for a reason?”
“Oh yeah, I came to get some groceries.”
We walk in together, and she goes shopping. I follow behind her in silence, mentally taking inventory of what she’s buying. Orange juice, apple juice, lemonade, more lemonade, pink lemonade, lemonade, limeade, more pink lemonade – they must really like lemonade. White grape juice, more orange juice, more orange juice, and water. Water, water, water. Lots of water.
A voice crackles to life in my head. “Experiment number 00001, report to database.”
I sigh, and mutter under my breath, “In a grocery store, postpone an hour.”
“Postponed for 10 minutes. Countdown begins now.”
They never listen. “Allow me to escort you home,” I say to Leanne. We’re outside, and she’s pushing the cart home.
“Thank you,” she says, and again we’re silenced.
Soon we’re at her house. “Four minutes,” crackles the voice in my head.
“I’ll see you later, Leanne,” I say, and walk off.
“You will?” she asks, like it comes as a surprise.
“Yes, yes, of course.” I speedwalk back to my own house, entering the doorway as the voice says, “Three minutes and thirty seconds.”
Telsa is starting her own report. “Found 00003’s family here in Seaside. Children Leo and Leanne would make good candidates for the Implant. Strong kids.”
She’s silent for a bit. “Two minutes,” says my voice.
“Shut up,” I tell it, listening to my sister.
“Memories to come, still developing. Leo looks like 00003, Leanne like the mother.”
We’re both silent. “One minute and thirty seconds,” the voice in my head drones.
“Memories coming.” A look of intense concentration crosses her face and lasts about a minute.
“Thirty seconds.”
Telsa relaxes, and continues. “Memories sent. Have made a connection with Leo, friendship possible.”
Mentally, I scoff. Possible? True is better than possible. Friendship may be a difficult step, but I’ve already achieved it.
“Fifteen seconds.”
“00004 out.” Telsa finishes her report and looks over at me looking at her.
“You heard all of that, didn’t you?” she hisses.
I smile, but it’s erased as the ten second countdown starts. “10…”
I swear, and Telsa gives me a look before bouncing away.
“9…”
“8…”
“7…”
“6…”
“5…”
I walk over to sit in a chair, mentally preparing myself for it.
“4…”
“3…”
“2…”
“1…”
I sigh. “0. Your time is up. 00001, report.”
“00001, reporting. Found 00003’s family –“
“Already been informed. Skip.”
I close my eyes briefly against the throbbing pain that’s beginning to build up. Again. “Have made a connection with Leanne, friendship eminent.”
“Good, good. Well done, 00001.”
“Thank you.” I press my hands against my forehead, willing the pain to stop. But it doesn’t. It never does.
“You may sign out now. Enough information gleaned.”
“00001 out.”
The connection closes with a click and leaves me with yet another killer headache. I groan, and lean back in the chair.
Telsa bounces back in, takes one look at me, and sighs. “That’s what you get for being born first.”
“It wasn’t my fault that I was oldest! Would you like to switch sometime!?” I scream, succeeding in making my pounding head feel even worse.
“No,” she says simply. “I really wouldn’t care to have malfunctioning machinery in my head.”
I get up slowly, feeling anger rise up as I do. My vision is obscured briefly, and then the anger flash-over appears over it. Now it feels as if my head were about to explode, but it’s worth it if I can get a shot in at Telsa.
She looks at me warily, and then I strike, the flash-over directing me exactly where to hit her face.
She shrieks as my fist makes contact with the center of her forehead, and she topples over, her light body easy to knock aside.
My anger dies down, the flash-over disappears, and my headache eases a little bit. Telsa sits up, glares at me, and gets up to stalk out of the room. The bounce is completely taken out of her step.
I groan again, and go off in search of my headache medicine.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kaitlin_mckitrick on November 25, 2009, 7:44:59 AM

kaitlin_mckitrick on
kaitlin_mckitrick0-0